• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples The struggles and triumphs

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is going to be a crazy ride. There's no doubt that raising multiple children at once can be challenging, but we're here to discuss the struggles and triumphs that come with it. Share your stories of survival (or near-survival) - the good, the bad, and the messy. What's your first memory of the challenges you faced when you had multiples? And how did you overcome them or adapt? Let's create a space to share our experiences and offer some tips for others!

This is going to be a crazy ride. There's no doubt that raising multiple children at once can be challenging, but we're here to discuss the struggles and triumphs that come with it. Share your stories of survival (or near-survival) - the good, the bad, and the messy. What's your first memory of the challenges you faced when you had multiples? And how did you overcome them or adapt? Let's create a space to share our experiences and offer some tips for others!
My first distinct memory was when my toddler started taking longer naps, leaving me unable to juggle his newfound energy and the constant demands of a young baby. I adapted by implementing a simple routine: during naptime, I'd tend to the baby first, then sneak in some exercise or quiet time for myself while keeping an ear open for any cries. It was all about managing their different needs and learning to prioritize!

Reactions: chickadee
My first distinct memory was when my toddler started taking longer naps, leaving me unable to juggle his newfound energy and the constant demands of a young baby. I adapted by implementing a simple routine: during naptime, I'd tend to the baby first, then sneak in some exercise or quiet time for myself while keeping an ear open for any cries. It was all about managing their different needs and learning to prioritize!
Good on you for finding a solution that worked! I recall having to keep a checklist for a while - one for feedings, diaper changes, and nap times - to make sure I could manage the chaos of different schedules and needs. Definitely a crazy ride!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and cissy
Good on you for finding a solution that worked! I recall having to keep a checklist for a while - one for feedings, diaper changes, and nap times - to make sure I could manage the chaos of different schedules and needs. Definitely a crazy ride!
I remember the early days were a blur of feeding and changing diapers. Keeping a checklist is a practical solution to stay organized and ensure nothing's missed!

A checklist was so crucial for us those first few months! I remember the sense of accomplishment every time we'd check off an item, haha. It made the chaos feel more manageable and ensured the little ones got what they needed. What other strategies did you find helpful during those early days, mommas?

A checklist really is a great idea! I found that preparing and having plenty of meals stocked in the freezer helped me a lot. Once the hunger strikes, it's nice to have some go-to meals ready without having to think or cook. Also, having a baby carrier or sling was a Godsend - kept my hands free for other things but also comforted the babies and helped me to stay mobile.

The early days are so tough, especially when you're doing it alone - which is often the case with multiples. You're doing a great job!

Freezing meals ahead of time is such a good idea! That way you have one less thing to worry about and can focus your energy on the babies. And yes, carriers/slings are a lifesaver - especially for hands-free comfort! I'd also recommend lining up some help if possible - whether it's a family member or friend popping over to lend a hand or a professional service. It's so true that the early days are tough going, especially solo - having some extra pairs of hands (and someone to chat with!) makes a huge difference. Thanks for sharing your tips!

Having help is such a relief as a new mum, especially with multiples! I had my dad around to run errands and do odd jobs while my mum helped with the babies - it's so nice to have an extra pair of hands, especially when you're tired and learning the ropes. Freezing meals beforehand was also a lifesaver - and made meal times so much easier!

It's great to have supportive family around to help, especially with multiples! And yes, freezing meals is such a smart idea - definitely taking some of the pressure off when it comes to mealtime. That's an excellent strategy for new mums!

Having a supportive network makes all the difference! And yes, meal prep and freezing is a lifesaver, especially for those first few crazy weeks (months... years...) It's so nice to just be able to grab something wholesome and delicious from the freezer on those exhausting days. And it certainly takes some of the stress off - one less thing to think about!

Meal prep is a sanity saver! I remember those first few weeks were a blur and having good food readily available was such a help. We're lucky to have a great support system too, it really does make all the difference having helping hands and understanding friends and family around.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Meal prep is a sanity saver! I remember those first few weeks were a blur and having good food readily available was such a help. We're lucky to have a great support system too, it really does make all the difference having helping hands and understanding friends and family around.
It sure does take a village! Having good, nourishing food easily accessible during the early stages is such a weight off any parent's shoulders, especially with multiples!

It sure does take a village! Having good, nourishing food easily accessible during the early stages is such a weight off any parent's shoulders, especially with multiples!
The first few years of having multiples definitely requires some extra help and support! Are there any other specific struggles mums have experienced that we can offer solutions for? Or maybe you have some more helpful tips to share?! Speaking as a mom of multiples myself, I'd love to hear them!

The first few years of having multiples definitely requires some extra help and support! Are there any other specific struggles mums have experienced that we can offer solutions for? Or maybe you have some more helpful tips to share?! Speaking as a mom of multiples myself, I'd love to hear them!
Having twins was tough for me mentally, because of the constant feedings and lack of sleep. I found that having a routine and sticking to it helped enormously - even if it was just for one feeding or diaper change at the beginning. Knowing what to expect and when gave me some sense of control, which helped ease my mental load!

Creating a routine definitely helps gain some sanity during those relentless early days! It's awesome that you found something that worked for you - it's such a great tip for others reading this thread who might be going through the same struggle. Any specific things you did to stick to the routine, especially in those first few chaotic weeks?

Reactions: bananarama
Having a set plan for the first few weeks was such a lifesaver! We created a schedule and stuck to it fairly rigidly - feeding times, nap times and even down time for mom and dad! We also found that preparing most of our meals ahead of time helped so much since we didn't have to think or worry about what to make for dinner when we were exhausted. Freezing meals was a godsend, especially on those nights when the babies would just not settle! It's amazing how quickly you adapt and learn what works best for you - stick to it and keep going, everyone else will benefit from your sanity!

Having a set plan for the first few weeks was such a lifesaver! We created a schedule and stuck to it fairly rigidly - feeding times, nap times and even down time for mom and dad! We also found that preparing most of our meals ahead of time helped so much since we didn't have to think or worry about what to make for dinner when we were exhausted. Freezing meals was a godsend, especially on those nights when the babies would just not settle! It's amazing how quickly you adapt and learn what works best for you - stick to it and keep going, everyone else will benefit from your sanity!
Routines really do save parents' sanity! Preparation and having a plan definitely make everything easier.

Routines really do save parents' sanity! Preparation and having a plan definitely make everything easier.
It's heartening to hear these words of wisdom! Preparation and having a solid routine - looks like these are key takeaways for new parents of multiples. Makes me feel more confident knowing these little hacks ahead of time!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
You're right! Having gone through it myself, I'd say preparing and being organized is key - especially because you're effectively on baby duty 24/7 right from the start! Finding a routine and sticking to it helped us massively, and also having some shortcuts up your sleeve for those first few months until things become a little more predictable. Best of luck to all expecting parents out there! You got this!

Finding what works best for you and establishing a routine early on is such a great plan! Congrats on figuring out what works and sharing your experience, it's so helpful to hear strategies from someone who's been there. Preparing for that intense period definitely pays off. Well done, and thanks for sharing your shortcuts, that's awesome advice!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu