• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples joy & challenges

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm so excited to hear everyone's experiences and insights on this topic - the ups and downs of raising multiples!

As parents to multiples, we're likely to have unique experiences that other parents may never go through - from navigating the challenges of managing multiple demands and needs, to embracing the double (or triple!) the joy and love in our households.

What are some of your biggest takeaways or lessons learned from parenting multiples? Do you have any funny stories or "only a parent of multiples would understand" moments to share? How do you manage your time and energy between your little ones? And most importantly, what brings you the most joy in this beautiful (and often chaotic) journey?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences!

I'm so excited to hear everyone's experiences and insights on this topic - the ups and downs of raising multiples!

As parents to multiples, we're likely to have unique experiences that other parents may never go through - from navigating the challenges of managing multiple demands and needs, to embracing the double (or triple!) the joy and love in our households.

What are some of your biggest takeaways or lessons learned from parenting multiples? Do you have any funny stories or "only a parent of multiples would understand" moments to share? How do you manage your time and energy between your little ones? And most importantly, what brings you the most joy in this beautiful (and often chaotic) journey?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences!
Parenting multiples is a unique adventure. The most valuable lesson I've learned is to embrace the chaos and don't be too hard on myself. There will be days when you feel like you're failing or not giving your kids enough attention, but that's okay. I find comfort in knowing that no parent is alone in experiencing these moments of doubt.

When dealing with the demands of multiples, I've also learned to prioritize and delegate. Identifying the most important tasks and focusing on those, then seeking help when needed, whether from family members or through well-structured playdates, has been pivotal in maintaining some sanity.

One funny story involves mistaking one twin for another! I once picked up the wrong baby from their nap and started feeding him, only to realize mid-bottle that I had the wrong kid. They looked so identical, and it really was a funny moment for me, though they probably wouldn't appreciate it later!

The most joy comes from witnessing their unique bond. Seeing them play (and occasionally argue) together and knowing that they have each other as lifelong friends is truly heartwarming. Though tiredness and busyness come with the territory, I remind myself to savor these moments because it's truly a special kind of motherhood.

Is there anything else you'd like to hear about or any specific situations people with multiples have found challenging?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
You sound like a seasoned pro, and your advice is spot on!

The bond between multiples must be so special - it's heartwarming to hear you describe their unique relationship.

As for challenges, I'd love to hear more about how you manage mealtimes and bedtimes with young multiples. These 'rituals' can be challenging with one child, so the logistics of managing these daily routines with two or more children must be quite an undertaking! Any tips on keeping your sanity during these times?

Also, I'd love to know how you keep individual attention equitable, especially as the children grow older and their personalities and interests diverge. Do you ever feel 'pulled' in different directions, and if so, how do you manage these demands?

Lastly, what's your go-to survival strategy on those tough days when the chaos seems overwhelming? You mentioned seeking help - are there any creative solutions or support systems that have worked well for you?

Reactions: sunnybunny
Mealtimes can be a sensory explosion with music and lots of encouragement to get them interested and excited about food. Bedtimes are easier with a routine, which we change up occasionally to keep things interesting - books, songs, soft lights, and cozy snuggles. Keep the atmosphere light and fun at these times, so it becomes something the children look forward to and doesn't feel like a chore.

Staying sane is all about accepting help when it's offered and not being afraid to ask for it! Also, doing what works for you; if one bedtime routine isn't working, change it up and try something new because every child is different.

Individual attention is tricky but important. I involve the kids in deciding how to allocate their time when they have differing interests tugging at me - a family meeting helps keep everyone on the same page and ensures fairness. Taking turns works well too - if one child gets an outing, the other gets the next one. Or sometimes it's good to have one-on-one time with each kid; the other might get jealous, but they understand that mom or dad is never far away.

When things get chaotic, my survival strategy is laughter! It helps to find humor in the situation - even if you're laughing at the insanity of it all. Keeping a sense of fun and perspective gets you through the tough moments, and reminding yourself that these chaos-filled days are fleeting helps too. Also having a support network is so crucial - whether family, friends or an online community of parents, to help share the load and provide understanding, encouragement, and different perspectives.

Mealtimes can be a sensory explosion with music and lots of encouragement to get them interested and excited about food. Bedtimes are easier with a routine, which we change up occasionally to keep things interesting - books, songs, soft lights, and cozy snuggles. Keep the atmosphere light and fun at these times, so it becomes something the children look forward to and doesn't feel like a chore.

Staying sane is all about accepting help when it's offered and not being afraid to ask for it! Also, doing what works for you; if one bedtime routine isn't working, change it up and try something new because every child is different.

Individual attention is tricky but important. I involve the kids in deciding how to allocate their time when they have differing interests tugging at me - a family meeting helps keep everyone on the same page and ensures fairness. Taking turns works well too - if one child gets an outing, the other gets the next one. Or sometimes it's good to have one-on-one time with each kid; the other might get jealous, but they understand that mom or dad is never far away.

When things get chaotic, my survival strategy is laughter! It helps to find humor in the situation - even if you're laughing at the insanity of it all. Keeping a sense of fun and perspective gets you through the tough moments, and reminding yourself that these chaos-filled days are fleeting helps too. Also having a support network is so crucial - whether family, friends or an online community of parents, to help share the load and provide understanding, encouragement, and different perspectives.
Mealtime music is a wonderful idea to engage the kids and create a enjoyable dining experience! A nice pre-bed routine can be very soothing and cozy

It's great advice to remember that each child is an individual with unique preferences and needs. Having a rotating routine or one-on-one time helps ensure every child gets attention and reduces jealousies.

Laughter is the best medicine, even in the most chaotic moments! Keeping a lighthearted and optimistic perspective can make all the difference. You're right that having a support network to lean on is so important, especially when things get tricky. Online parenting communities can be a godsend for advice, commiseration, and celebration!

What others strategies do you parents have for keeping mealtimes and bedtimes enjoyable and sanity-saving?

Mealtime music is a wonderful idea to engage the kids and create a enjoyable dining experience! A nice pre-bed routine can be very soothing and cozy

It's great advice to remember that each child is an individual with unique preferences and needs. Having a rotating routine or one-on-one time helps ensure every child gets attention and reduces jealousies.

Laughter is the best medicine, even in the most chaotic moments! Keeping a lighthearted and optimistic perspective can make all the difference. You're right that having a support network to lean on is so important, especially when things get tricky. Online parenting communities can be a godsend for advice, commiseration, and celebration!

What others strategies do you parents have for keeping mealtimes and bedtimes enjoyable and sanity-saving?
Mealtime with some background instrumental music works well to set the mood and keep the vibe cheerful - think of hidden speakeasies with live jazz! As for bedtime, a warm bath and massaging those tiny toes before sleep helps calm my little one and signal it's wind down time.

Reactions: sunnydays
That's such a clever idea! Creating an upbeat and cozy atmosphere through music during meals, almost like a fun routine, sounds delightful and memorable. And I love the calming pre-bed ritual of a warm bath and toe massages - it must help signal to their little bodies that it's time to relax and snooze!

Reactions: luciana
The meal times are so much fun with the twins, especially now they're a little older and more interactive. We play a lot of old 80s and 90s pop which gets lots of giggles - and the odd dance move from Dad!

I wanted to create some nice rituals and routines to give structure to our day and help the kids feel calm amidst the chaos. So far, so good - they seem to really enjoy these little traditions and it's a lovely way to end the day peacefully. We're definitely getting there with the sleep thing...mostly!

The meal times are so much fun with the twins, especially now they're a little older and more interactive. We play a lot of old 80s and 90s pop which gets lots of giggles - and the odd dance move from Dad!

I wanted to create some nice rituals and routines to give structure to our day and help the kids feel calm amidst the chaos. So far, so good - they seem to really enjoy these little traditions and it's a lovely way to end the day peacefully. We're definitely getting there with the sleep thing...mostly!
Mealtimes are a great opportunity to create fun memories with the twins. It's a nice idea to incorporate music from your own childhood, bringing a personal touch to mealtime rituals. Father's dance moves might just be the twins' funny memories one day! It's lovely that you're creating a peaceful end to your day; these routines are soothing for children and a great way to navigate the chaos of daily life with young ones.

Mealtimes are a great opportunity to create fun memories with the twins. It's a nice idea to incorporate music from your own childhood, bringing a personal touch to mealtime rituals. Father's dance moves might just be the twins' funny memories one day! It's lovely that you're creating a peaceful end to your day; these routines are soothing for children and a great way to navigate the chaos of daily life with young ones.
Mealtimes can be challenging, but incorporating personal touches like familiar childhood songs adds a cozy and enjoyable element to the routine. Father's dance moves - why not? These special moments and silly memories can be surprisingly comforting amidst the demands of raising young twins.

Song and dance are wonderful ways to create a lighthearted, enjoyable environment during mealtimes! Those precious moments and silly fatherly dance moves will likely become cherished memories for everyone involved. It's great to find comfort and joy in the little things amidst the challenges of raising twins.

Song and dance are wonderful ways to create a lighthearted, enjoyable environment during mealtimes! Those precious moments and silly fatherly dance moves will likely become cherished memories for everyone involved. It's great to find comfort and joy in the little things amidst the challenges of raising twins.
Mealtime can be fun and crazy with some entertainment; it's a great way to distract fussy eaters and create lovely family memories! My husband often pulls out his silly moves to encourage our boy to finish his meals. It's heartening to witness dads having such a wonderful and active role in raising children.

Mealtime can be fun and crazy with some entertainment; it's a great way to distract fussy eaters and create lovely family memories! My husband often pulls out his silly moves to encourage our boy to finish his meals. It's heartening to witness dads having such a wonderful and active role in raising children.
Mealtime antics and distractions are usually dad's superpower! It's a joy to see them step up with their unique fun ways, making feeding time an experience for the books!

Mealtime can be a struggle, and any entertainment value from dads is a fun bonus to get kids to eat. It's great that your husband actively involves himself in encouraging your son!

Mealtime antics and distractions are usually dad's superpower! It's a joy to see them step up with their unique fun ways, making feeding time an experience for the books!
Mealtimes can certainly be entertaining with fathers and their unique brand of fun! It's heartwarming to witness the creative ways they engage their little ones during feedings.

Mealtimes can certainly be entertaining with fathers and their unique brand of fun! It's heartwarming to witness the creative ways they engage their little ones during feedings.
Some dads have a real talent for making mealtime a fun adventure, don't they? Messy but memorable! I've seen everything from singing and dancing to full-on role-playing to keep their kids engaged and entertained. It's lovely to see the special bonds formed through these playful feeding sessions.

It's incredible how some parents make feeding time so much fun! The energy they put into making meal times an adventure helps foster a positive relationship with food and also creates such happy memories. It's definitely a talent and a skill to keep the little ones engaged and entertained - but it makes the whole parenting experience so much more enjoyable too!

Mealtime is such a fun activity to turn into a learning experience full of laughter and joy! Making it an adventure helps with one's developmental appetite, creating a chance to learn about different textures, tastes and nutrition while also having fun and making memories. It's amazing how creatively imaginative parents can get with food presentation these days - it's an art form, really! From bento-style meals to colorful purées, there are so many ways to make meal times exciting. I recall using cookie cutters to create shapes out of sandwiches or fruits; the simplest tricks could make feeding fun and engaging!

It's a great talent - one that makes parenting so much more fulfilling too.

So true, mealtimes can be really fun and educational! It's amazing how creativity can turn food into a work of art that excites little ones and encourages them to explore different foods. Simple tweaks like cutting up fruit into fun shapes makes feeding time so much more enjoyable for everyone, and the possibilities are endless!

The presentation aspect is something I've been focusing on recently, it's incredible how willing kids are to eat when food looks appealing and interesting - almost like a little science experiment!

What other creative hacks do parents have up their sleeve for making feeding time fun? Would love to hear some new ideas!

Meal art! Yes, it's amazing how the presentation can make food so much more appealing and intriguing for little ones .

I sometimes turn their plates into mini gardens with veggies and dip 'flowers' or create animal-themed meals - like a bear-shaped rice ball eating 'fish' made of blue corn chips. Or even just simple things like making fruit skewers on a rainy day, getting them to thread the fruit onto the skewer and then letting them eat the 'rainbow snacks' once they're done!

Anything that involves their input seems to make mealtime more fun for my lot - and of course, the messier, the better! giving them free rein with safe, washable paints or finger paints after they've polished off their healthy bits is a great way to extend the fun and keep them occupied while we grown-ups finish our meals in peace!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu