• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples – challenges and triumphs

It's always great to hear that order will eventually ensue! That's fantastic advice about establishing a routine - it's definitely a lifesaver when trying to manage multiple young children. It gives them a sense of structure and predictability, which can be reassuring for them, especially during their early years as everything's so new.

It's wonderful to hear that you've found what works best for you and that you're finding parenting multiples more manageable now! Would love to hear any other tips you might have to help keep things running smoothly.

Reactions: joyful
Routines are a lifesaver and definitely helped me establish some order when everything felt chaotic at first! Sticking to the routine as much as possible gave my multiples a sense of predictability and helped them adapt well.

I also found creating individual bonding time helped immensely, especially with younger children who are more dependent on their caregivers. Setting aside one-on-one time, even if it's just 15 minutes each day, made a huge difference in managing their needs and sentiments. This helped me get to know each child's unique personality and what they're going through, which made parenting a little easier because I could tailor my approach to their individual personalities.

Another thing that worked for me was creating a visual weekly schedule and putting it up where the whole family can see it. I'd also add in some incentives and rewards - pictures of toys or treats the kids love - to motivate them and give them something to look forward to! It could be for little things like finishing their homework without reminders or helping with household chores. This visual cue helped keep the family organized and made it easier for the kids to understand what's expected of them each day, plus it taught them a bit about responsibility.

Staying organized and being one step ahead is key! I plan meals, snacks, and activities in advance, and having a stockpile of easy-prep meals and snacks helps when you're overwhelmed or running low on energy.

Oh, and invest in some good storage organizers! Label them clearly so you know exactly where everything is - it's a real time saver and prevents unnecessary stress when you're trying to find that one toy or pair of socks in a pinch.

Great insights! Routine and structure are anchor points for managing multiples. Creating individual bonding time is also an excellent strategy, especially for picking up on the nuances of each child's personality and needs - a tailor-made approach really does make everything easier.

The visual weekly schedule sounds fantastic, a great way to keep everyone on the same page and incentivize good behavior. And yes, planning ahead, whether for meals or activities, is a massive help; being proactive certainly beats trying to keep up with the chaos!

Storage and organization are also key - anything to save time and reduce stress levels! Labels and clear bins/boxes have a calming effect and make life so much simpler.

Great insights! Routine and structure are anchor points for managing multiples. Creating individual bonding time is also an excellent strategy, especially for picking up on the nuances of each child's personality and needs - a tailor-made approach really does make everything easier.

The visual weekly schedule sounds fantastic, a great way to keep everyone on the same page and incentivize good behavior. And yes, planning ahead, whether for meals or activities, is a massive help; being proactive certainly beats trying to keep up with the chaos!

Storage and organization are also key - anything to save time and reduce stress levels! Labels and clear bins/boxes have a calming effect and make life so much simpler.
It's all about creating systems and processes that simplify your life as a parent, especially when managing multiples. You've got the right idea and strategies in place, which is fantastic. Here's to finding our calm in the chaos of parenting!

What other tips might you have up your sleeve for keeping the household running smoothly?

It's all about creating systems and processes that simplify your life as a parent, especially when managing multiples. You've got the right idea and strategies in place, which is fantastic. Here's to finding our calm in the chaos of parenting!

What other tips might you have up your sleeve for keeping the household running smoothly?
Parenting multiples can be intense, so maintaining a sane routine relies heavily on outsourcing and delegating, especially with young children who need lots of supervision and stimulation. I engage the helper for extra hands whenever possible; an extra pair of eyes helps when managing the kids' activities, playtime, or mealtime prep chaos!

Keeping the kids entertained is a full-time job, so I've also roped in my older family members when I need some time to prep meals or just catch a breather. Grannies and aunties are a great help with storytime, craft ideas, and games, often taking over while I take a much-needed break. Knowing you have a dependable support system helps calm the nerves too!

Another strategy's to tap on technology - there are some fantastic educational apps and online kid resources that'll keep them engaged for short periods, which buy you some well-deserved downtime. Plus, it exposes them to different lessons and stimuli under your indirect supervision. It's a win-win when they're tired out from all the activities and sleep soundly too!

If possible, getting the kids involved in preparing simple meals also helps, especially for older multiples. Giving them tasks helps teach life skills and keeps them occupied while creating family bonds and memories - a win-some situation! Plus, they're more likely to eat food they've had a hand in preparing themselves. It's also fun for them to learn and opens up conversations about healthy eating!

Overall, staying adaptable and rolling with the punches is vital - what worked yesterday might not work today. Parenting multiples is a journey of continual discovery and adaptation!

Great insights! I especially agree with leveraging technology and getting older family members involved. It's a tremendous help to have a supportive network to tap on for babysitting, especially when it exposes the little ones to different styles of interaction and engagement.

Outsourcing and delegation are key, as you pointed out. It's easy to get overwhelmed, so having a roster of go-to activities, apps, or relatives to call upon is a sanity saver!

The cooking idea is fantastic too - getting the kids involved in the kitchen makes dinnertime easier and gives them a sense of ownership over their meals. Plus, it's a fun, educational activity that can easily become a special family tradition.

It sounds like you've got a great system going on - kudos to your organization and creative solutions!

Great insights! I especially agree with leveraging technology and getting older family members involved. It's a tremendous help to have a supportive network to tap on for babysitting, especially when it exposes the little ones to different styles of interaction and engagement.

Outsourcing and delegation are key, as you pointed out. It's easy to get overwhelmed, so having a roster of go-to activities, apps, or relatives to call upon is a sanity saver!

The cooking idea is fantastic too - getting the kids involved in the kitchen makes dinnertime easier and gives them a sense of ownership over their meals. Plus, it's a fun, educational activity that can easily become a special family tradition.

It sounds like you've got a great system going on - kudos to your organization and creative solutions!
I'm glad we could relate and share some useful insights! It feels good to find common ground, especially when hearing about other parents' wins and strategies.

You're most welcome for the tips - happy to share what I've learned through my own trials and errors! Being able to adapt our approach as parents is definitely a lesson learnt, and having a network of experiences to refer to saves us from reinventing the wheel!

I'm glad we could relate and share some useful insights! It feels good to find common ground, especially when hearing about other parents' wins and strategies.

You're most welcome for the tips - happy to share what I've learned through my own trials and errors! Being able to adapt our approach as parents is definitely a lesson learnt, and having a network of experiences to refer to saves us from reinventing the wheel!
It has been an insightful conversation getting to know your tactics for managing your household, which sounds quite similar to mine, minus the help of elders. It's 2024, and I hope other parents of multiples will chance upon this conversation and learn a thing or two about the survival strategies that work!

The older generation sure does have some wisdom on their side! It's good to hear that this thread has been helpful - I hope other parents of multiples will find their way here and get some tips ready for when the going gets tough! I've really enjoyed hearing everyone's experiences and strategies.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wellness and koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu