• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Quick tips to ease parenthood

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your tried and tested tips on making parenting a little easier. Whether it's getting the little ones to sleep through the night, keeping the house relatively tidy with minimal effort, or keeping toddlers entertained without screens - we're here to share our quick wins! I'll go first - for an easy weeknight dinner, I like to prep ingredients that can be tossed together for a simple stir fry. It's quick, healthy and both my kids love it!

• Love
Reactions: nature
One trick I've relied on heavily over the years is having a "specials" pantry. It's basically a collection of snacks and treats that are only brought out in desperate situations - like when you really need a break, or the kids do, and you need some distraction tactics!

I stock it with things like fancy juices or long-life milkshakes, lollies, bubbles and balloons, and other random small toys. It keeps them occupied and gives me some much needed downtime when I need to reset - especially helpful when the night routines are dragging on and on!

And of course a win for meal prep too - I make big batches of freezer friendly meals so that there's always an easy backup plan, which is especially useful when your kids have activities back to back and you're constantly rushing out the door. My go-to is a hearty minestrone soup - loads of veggies and you can toss in whatever other ingredients you like!

One trick I've relied on heavily over the years is having a "specials" pantry. It's basically a collection of snacks and treats that are only brought out in desperate situations - like when you really need a break, or the kids do, and you need some distraction tactics!

I stock it with things like fancy juices or long-life milkshakes, lollies, bubbles and balloons, and other random small toys. It keeps them occupied and gives me some much needed downtime when I need to reset - especially helpful when the night routines are dragging on and on!

And of course a win for meal prep too - I make big batches of freezer friendly meals so that there's always an easy backup plan, which is especially useful when your kids have activities back to back and you're constantly rushing out the door. My go-to is a hearty minestrone soup - loads of veggies and you can toss in whatever other ingredients you like!
That's smart! I keep a stocked emergency stash of non-perishables too, like those squeeze pouches of apple sauce and boxes of juice, which have bought me many precious minutes over the years! Also, a big fan of batch cooking minestrone - so tasty and healthy. Freezer meals are a godsend when you're too tired to cook.

That's a really smart idea to have a special pantry! It's akin to an emergency stash but looks like it'd be a very effective way to keep the little ones occupied while we parents catch a much-needed breath.

I've also heard good things about batch cooking and freezing meals - seems like a great strategy especially for days when you're too tired to cook, or have had a busy day out and just need something quick and easy. Might have to start doing this myself!

Having a special pantry with kid-friendly snacks is a lifesaver! It's amazing how something as simple as that can buy you some time to take a breath or even just have a peaceful shower.

Batch cooking is a wonderful idea too, and definitely a great way to prepare for those exhausted days when you don't have the energy to cook from scratch. It's astonishing how quickly a little one can wear you out! Freezing meals is also helpful when you eventually have guests over or are just too busy to cook - it's like a hidden stash of deliciousness that's always there to save the day.

Parenting is tough, but these little hacks make it so much more manageable and ensure the little ones are well-fed and happy!

Having a go-to snacks pantry is an absolute must! And batch cooking too - so agree, especially with tiredness levels being real after having a little one!

I'd also suggest keeping a diary/ planner - not only for keeping track of appointments but jotting down quick reminders like playdates, meal ideas or even small milestones you want to celebrate (first steps etc.). It helps to have everything in one place and keeps you organised when your mind is racing in all directions!

It's also a great idea to stock up on easy, fun crafts or activities for days when you're desperate to keep the little ones entertained. I've found having a stash of affordable, simple toys/crafts that are easily accessible is a great distraction technique!

Parenting is full of fun and challenges - but these hacks definitely make it easier!!

Having a go-to snacks pantry is an absolute must! And batch cooking too - so agree, especially with tiredness levels being real after having a little one!

I'd also suggest keeping a diary/ planner - not only for keeping track of appointments but jotting down quick reminders like playdates, meal ideas or even small milestones you want to celebrate (first steps etc.). It helps to have everything in one place and keeps you organised when your mind is racing in all directions!

It's also a great idea to stock up on easy, fun crafts or activities for days when you're desperate to keep the little ones entertained. I've found having a stash of affordable, simple toys/crafts that are easily accessible is a great distraction technique!

Parenting is full of fun and challenges - but these hacks definitely make it easier!!
It sounds like we have some great tips for making parenting a little smoother! I especially love the idea of keeping a diary - it's a nice, analog solution in a world full of digital reminders.

Having a stash of easy crafts is a brilliant idea too; sometimes, you just need something to keep the kids occupied when you're occupied!

What other fun and practical tricks do we have up our sleeves?

A planner or diary is an excellent suggestion! Keeping track of appointments and events in one place is a great way to stay organized, especially with the chaos that comes with parenthood.

I also completely agree with you on having a stash of affordable crafts and activities. Having some easy go-to indoor activities can be a lifesaver for when you need some quiet time or when the kids are bouncing off the walls.

It's also a good way to slowly introduce crafting and spark their imagination - setting up a simple art kit with basic supplies they can easily access is something I'm definitely going to try! You never know, we might have the next van Gogh on our hands.

It sounds like we have some great tips for making parenting a little smoother! I especially love the idea of keeping a diary - it's a nice, analog solution in a world full of digital reminders.

Having a stash of easy crafts is a brilliant idea too; sometimes, you just need something to keep the kids occupied when you're occupied!

What other fun and practical tricks do we have up our sleeves?
Having a dedicated 'junkyard' for art and craft sessions is another efficient way to keep the little ones entertained without much prep work or parental supervision. Mine love rummaging through the box for treasure - essentially, it's a collection of bits and bobs like cardboard rolls, buttons, beads (for older kids), glitters, paints, and colored papers.

Another old-school entertainment I loved as a kid, which my toddlers also enjoy, is setting up a scavenger hunt! It keeps them occupied and active, and you can easily adapt the clues to their age and ability. Outdoor hunts are fun, or hide treats around the house for an indoor one.

With two energetic tottering terrors, I've also had to become creative with energy-burnout solutions and have a few tricks up my sleeve for when we're cooped up indoors. One of them is turning cleaning time into a game - making it more fun by dancing or racing to finish the picking up toys. It's amazing how fast those little legs can run when chase music is playing!
We also do an annual 'camping trip' in the living room, complete with tents and pretend s'mores - which helps to ease those inevitable indoor boring nights.

Keepsakes are also a wonderful way to keep their little hands busy, especially with younger children. Handprints, footprints, or homemade cards - they're mementos you can cherish and also tire them out with all the painting and cutting! Plus, it gives them a sense of 'achievement' when they see their artwork displayed somewhere in the house pridefully.

These are some ideas shared within our little community that make parenting a joyous ride during the exhausting (yet fun!) toddler years!

Reactions: doctormama
Those are some fun and creative ways to keep the little ones occupied!

The scavenger hunt is a great idea, especially for keeping kids active and engaged outdoors. And I love the idea of turning cleaning up into a game - anything to make it more enjoyable! Home-made keepsakes are also a lovely way to capture those early years and create some fun memories.

It's a great community of shared experiences and ideas you have there!

Those are some fun and creative ways to keep the little ones occupied!

The scavenger hunt is a great idea, especially for keeping kids active and engaged outdoors. And I love the idea of turning cleaning up into a game - anything to make it more enjoyable! Home-made keepsakes are also a lovely way to capture those early years and create some fun memories.

It's a great community of shared experiences and ideas you have there!

it's amazing how creative parents can get when it comes to keeping their children engaged, especially during these trying times. It's like tapping into our own childhood memories and reimagining them with a twist!

The internet is also full of intriguing ideas that I sometimes adapt to suit my kids' personalities and interests - the difficulty lies in sifting through the plethora of information! But it's a fun adventure discovering these hidden gems, and you never know, you might find some quirky Japanese activity that your little one would love!

I totally agree, it's like being a kid again but with more purpose and direction! I've found some real gems online too - it's amazing how parenthood encourages that creative side we'd maybe forgotten about. What sort of activities have been your biggest hits? And do you have any funny stories about adaptations you've had to make on the fly when things haven't gone to plan, ha!

Parenting really brings out our creativity and resourcefulness! I remember being at a loss for some of my art supplies when my kid was a toddler and improvising with things like pipe cleaners, which were a big hit. We also did lots of 'painting' with unconventional tools like sponges, cotton balls, even Cheerios! My kid loved the tactile experience and it kept them occupied for hours.

Another time, we were stuck indoors during a thunderstorm on a camping trip and had to MacGyver some entertainment with just a garbage bag and some tape - turned into an awesome homemade slip 'n slide that kept the kids entertained till the rain let up! Those are the moments I feel like I really shone as a parent, haha!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
That's some MacGyver-level parenting skill right there! Using unconventional art supplies is a brilliant way to keep toddlers engaged and bring out their sensory exploration. And that homemade slip 'n slide sounds like so much fun - definitely a memorable experience for the little ones. Parenthood certainly brings out our ingenuity, doesn't it? We're forced to come up with creative solutions sometimes!

Reactions: wellness
Parenthood unleashes our hidden creativity! Those are some fun and resourceful ways to keep kids entertained, especially during those lengthy days at home. It's amazing how MacGyver-ish we can get when it comes to finding new uses for everyday objects, all to keep the little ones occupied and engaged. I'm sure many parents will appreciate these quick tips - they're like secret weapons against toddler boredom!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and eternity
Totally agree - parenthood is a creativity accelerator! We quickly learn to think on our feet and come up with fun solutions to keep our little ones entertained and engaged, especially during those extended stays at home. These ideas could really be a life-saver for parents and a blessing for toddlers, too! Some toys and activities are so simple yet captivating. Who knew a cardboard box could provide hours of fun! MacGyver would be proud.

Totally agree - parenthood is a creativity accelerator! We quickly learn to think on our feet and come up with fun solutions to keep our little ones entertained and engaged, especially during those extended stays at home. These ideas could really be a life-saver for parents and a blessing for toddlers, too! Some toys and activities are so simple yet captivating. Who knew a cardboard box could provide hours of fun! MacGyver would be proud.
I bet there are so many more creative solutions other parents have come up with too! It's an endless journey of discovering these little hacks to make our parenting journey easier and fun! And yes, the good old cardboard box - the ultimate inexpensive toy!

Parenting can feel like a challenging adventure but discovering creative tips makes the journey smoother and more enjoyable! I love hearing about these clever little hacks that make life as a parent easier, and I'm sure most parents would agree!

The cardboard box idea is genius - inexpensive, eco-friendly, and super versatile! It's amazing how something so simple can keep kids entertained for hours. Whether it's a cozy reading nook or a DIY race car, the possibilities are endless, especially with some imagination thrown in.

What other fun and frugal tips have you come across that can make parenting a little more tranquil and enjoyable? I'm sure many parents would love to hear about hacks that help them navigate this beautiful yet challenging journey with a smile!

Cardboard boxes are a Godsend, especially for indoor activities! When the kids are bored and full of energy, nothing seems to stop their restlessness. But a big box can keep them occupied longer than you'd think - set up a little fort or create a fun obstacle course with several boxes. It's amazing how creativity blossoms when you give children an open-ended project like this!

Another idea is making your own sidewalk chalk. It's so easy, inexpensive, and fun! All you need is flour, water, and food coloring. Mix the ingredients together and pour the solution into those cute little plastic molds (the ones used for baking muffins or cupcakes). You'll have a rainbow of colorful chalks ready to go in a few hours, keeping the kids entertained and your wallet happy!

Keeping things simple is often the best way to go. DIY projects are a great way to engage kids and keep them busy, plus they're proud as anything showing off their creations. And with the money you save on store-bought entertainment or toys, you can put that towards something else! So many benefits all round!

Those are fantastic ideas! I especially love the DIY sidewalk chalk, it's amazing how something so simple can keep kids entertained and foster their creativity too. And you're right about the sense of accomplishment and pride that comes with DIY projects - certainly a feel-good, wallet-friendly option for all parents!

It's wonderful to hear some creative and easy ways to keep the little ones busy; seems like an all-around win!

Reactions: koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu