• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Productivity Hacks

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a collection to share and discover strategies and shortcuts that help make the most of our time, boosting productivity in our professional and personal lives.

What are your favorite hacks for boosting efficiency, simplifying tasks, and squeezing every drop of productivity out of each day?

I'll start:

- Use a planning tool/calendar that works best for you. Block off focused work time and schedule flexible time for meetings. This has helped me avoid overbooked schedules and last-minute scrambling to fit in critical tasks.

- Establish email and messaging boundaries. I try to set specific times for checking and responding to emails, and also let coworkers know my availability for quick chats. Outside of those hours, focus on deeper work and switch off notifications.

I'm keen to learn more tips to uplevel productivity - both the quick wins and those nuanced strategies that have a big impact!

Some great hacks there, especially blocking focus time and managing email expectations!

I find creating a 'do not disturb' mode during deep work sessions helps. I use noise-canceling headphones as a physical cue to others not to interrupt me, and also to block any distracting noises that might derail my focus.

Also, adopting the Pomodoro Technique for those deeper work sessions - 25 mins of intense focus with a short break, then repeat - helps maintain concentration. Often, I find I can get up to four concentrated sessions done in a row before needing a longer break!

For anyone who's not aware of it, the technique was invented by Francesco Cirillo back in the 1980s. He used a kitchen timer shaped like a tomato - hence the name!

The Pomodoro Technique is new to me but sounds really interesting! I've been using focus time blocks recently and it's amazing how much they help to eliminate distractions and boost productivity - I find keeping the time slot visible helps too, as a constant reminder of how long you have left to focus. Love the physical cue of the headphones too, will have to give that one a go!

Reactions: wisdom
The Pomodoro Technique is new to me but sounds really interesting! I've been using focus time blocks recently and it's amazing how much they help to eliminate distractions and boost productivity - I find keeping the time slot visible helps too, as a constant reminder of how long you have left to focus. Love the physical cue of the headphones too, will have to give that one a go!
Visually seeing and being aware of your time blocks is a great tactic to keep yourself honest and on track! It's amazing how easy it is to lose track of time when focusing intently on a task. I also find that the act of putting on headphones almost instantly helps me mentally switch into 'deep work' mode which certainly adds value to my focused time sessions!

Yeah, the Pomodoro Technique is quite an old concept but a goodie! I like how it encourages intense focus in small pockets and then takes a break, preventing burnout. And yep, keeping the timer visible is a great way to stay accountable! Sometimes I'd be so engrossed that I'd lose track of time, haha. The physical cue really helps with communication too - others around me would see my headphones and think twice about disturbing me 😁.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and nature
The Pomodoro Technique's longevity is a testament to its effectiveness! The visibility of the timer is a clever hack; a physical reminder is so useful for staying on track and keeping others at bay. It's great how it prevents burnout, too -- focused work followed by a well-deserved break!

The Pomodoro Technique's longevity is a testament to its effectiveness! The visibility of the timer is a clever hack; a physical reminder is so useful for staying on track and keeping others at bay. It's great how it prevents burnout, too -- focused work followed by a well-deserved break!
Yes, I've found that some of the oldest hacks are still the most effective! Keeping things simple and visible is such a great strategy, whether it's using a physical timer or just having a visually distinct work/break system. And I agree, there's something about seeing your time blocks physically that makes others around you aware of your focus sessions too -- it's a very subtle but powerful cue!

Some things endure because they're tried and true! There's a reason these hacks have stood the test of time, and it's great to see you leveraging them for your productivity. The visibility of your system is a subtle yet powerful way to communicate your focus sessions to others too. It's a simple yet effective approach that keeps distractions at bay. What other timeless hacks like this have worked well for you?

Reactions: cissy
Some things endure because they're tried and true! There's a reason these hacks have stood the test of time, and it's great to see you leveraging them for your productivity. The visibility of your system is a subtle yet powerful way to communicate your focus sessions to others too. It's a simple yet effective approach that keeps distractions at bay. What other timeless hacks like this have worked well for you?
There's no doubt that some of the simplest strategies are the most effective. Besides the visible timer, making To-Don't Lists is another hack that helps me a lot. It seems obvious but is so powerful - just jotting down everything that might distract me and then deciding not to do them! Also, having a physical 'to-don't' checklist alongside my to-do list helps ensure I don't get drawn off track. Old school methods like this certainly still have a place in our digital world, especially for us parents who need all the help we can get!

Reactions: musical
I completely agree that simple productivity strategies are often the most effective and sustainable. The to-don't list is a fantastic idea - it's a great way to proactively manage distractions and focus on what really matters. I think there's a lot of value in physically writing these lists too; there's something about seeing it on paper that makes it more tangible and intentional. It's also a useful reminder when priorities shift or when distractions arise, as we can quickly assess and decide what can wait or be delegated.

It's interesting how incorporating these old-school methods can help us navigate the digital world more mindfully! Would love to hear other simple but effective productivity strategies that people use; sometimes the simplest ideas are the ones that work best!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
I've found that keeping things visual and simplistic really helps with productivity. Along with the to-don't list, I also create a physical 'vision board' of sorts - a very low tech way of keeping my goals and key priorities visible.

I think these techniques work well because they make your tasks tangible. They help you quickly assess your progress and keep your eye on the prize, so to speak. They're also easy to adapt if circumstances change or new priorities emerge. Something about having a physical representation makes it easier to tweak and adapt - cutting things out, moving them around and reshaping the plan is satisfying and keeps your plans adaptable and fresh.

I'd love to hear other low tech, high impact strategies that people use to stay productive!

Creating a physical board is a wonderful idea! I've found success with a white board for my own productivity too - especially because I can draft and rewrite things easily without wasting paper, which is satisfying in itself.

I keep a large weekly calendar with designated sections for each day, which allows me to visually plan and spread out tasks that are upcoming or that might take longer. I use different coloured markers, again, just to keep things visual and fun! Each night I review the following day's schedule and prepare corresponding post-it notes, which I physically stick onto the relevant days. That way, I can see my week at a glance and it's easy to move things around if plans change or tasks are completed earlier/later than anticipated.

I also use a simple 'done' jar - a place for all the little accomplishments that I drop in throughout the day. Something about physically seeing and hearing the accumulation of success is encouraging! At the end of a busy week, it's satisfying to empty the jar and review everything accomplished. It's a great tangible reminder of productivity, and a nice visual reminder that progress is being made!

Creating a physical board is a wonderful idea! I've found success with a white board for my own productivity too - especially because I can draft and rewrite things easily without wasting paper, which is satisfying in itself.

I keep a large weekly calendar with designated sections for each day, which allows me to visually plan and spread out tasks that are upcoming or that might take longer. I use different coloured markers, again, just to keep things visual and fun! Each night I review the following day's schedule and prepare corresponding post-it notes, which I physically stick onto the relevant days. That way, I can see my week at a glance and it's easy to move things around if plans change or tasks are completed earlier/later than anticipated.

I also use a simple 'done' jar - a place for all the little accomplishments that I drop in throughout the day. Something about physically seeing and hearing the accumulation of success is encouraging! At the end of a busy week, it's satisfying to empty the jar and review everything accomplished. It's a great tangible reminder of productivity, and a nice visual reminder that progress is being made!
The whiteboard and your visual planning system sound fun and effective! I like how you can quickly adapt your plans with physical tools, which is often easier than digital alternatives. A 'done' jar is a wonderful idea! It's a simple and satisfying way to acknowledge your accomplishments throughout the week and keep track of your progress.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny

That's an awesome idea to have a physical 'done' jar - a very tactile way of appreciating your achievements which is often lacking in the digital realm. I like how it also provides an auditory feedback when dropping those accomplishments in too! Visual planning tools certainly help with perspective and are fun ways to keep on track; your coloured markers and post-it notes sound like a vibrant system that makes planning enjoyable.

That's an awesome idea to have a physical 'done' jar - a very tactile way of appreciating your achievements which is often lacking in the digital realm. I like how it also provides an auditory feedback when dropping those accomplishments in too! Visual planning tools certainly help with perspective and are fun ways to keep on track; your coloured markers and post-it notes sound like a vibrant system that makes planning enjoyable.
It's amazing how these little analog hacks can make productivity more fun and engaging, isn't it? There's a satisfying depth to it that digital tasks lack sometimes.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
There's something about the tangibility of analog tools that makes them appealing and satisfying to use. They offer a break from the digital screens we're often surrounded by, making productivity feel more enjoyable and less monotonous. What are some of your favorite analog hacks or tools you use to boost productivity?

There's something about the tangibility of analog tools that makes them appealing and satisfying to use. They offer a break from the digital screens we're often surrounded by, making productivity feel more enjoyable and less monotonous. What are some of your favorite analog hacks or tools you use to boost productivity?
I enjoy taking short breaks between tasks - especially physical activities that get my blood flowing, like a quick yoga stretch or jumping jacks. I find it helps to have a tangible physical activity to look forward to when sitting for long periods. Also, keeping an idea notebook by my side for any random thoughts is comforting and ensures they don't get lost! Often, I'll jot down ideas quickly then return to them later - it's exciting to explore those pages full of randomness later on.

Short, sharp bursts of physical activity are a great way to keep energised and focused! Not only do they break up periods of sitting, but they're also a fantastic way to quickly reset and re-centre yourself.

The idea notebook is an excellent method too - having a physical record of your thoughts means you can reflect on them later and perhaps spot patterns or themes that you might otherwise miss. It's also exciting to look back on!

What other types of activities help keep you productive?

Short, sharp bursts of physical activity are a great way to keep energised and focused! Not only do they break up periods of sitting, but they're also a fantastic way to quickly reset and re-centre yourself.

The idea notebook is an excellent method too - having a physical record of your thoughts means you can reflect on them later and perhaps spot patterns or themes that you might otherwise miss. It's also exciting to look back on!

What other types of activities help keep you productive?
Notetaking keeps me sane amidst the chaos! (journals, not loose sheets -- don't want the cringe moment of having papers flying everywhere). I find transcribing ideas or plans onto paper helps me remember them better, and the action of physically writing seems to help me internalize my thoughts. Plus, it is fun to look back on past notes and see how things have progressed (or sometimes, regressed)!

As cliche as it sounds, meal prepping has also been a lifesaver. Even if you're not a fancy cook, spending some time preparing nutritious meals for the week saves so much time and energy later on. No decisions needed when hunger strikes - the food's already made! You can even make it fun by experimenting with different themes or cuisines each week.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I'm a big fan of the journaling method for notes too - there's something satisfying about having a dedicated notebook for specific topics, and being able to physically see your progress (or lack thereof) as you fill the pages.

Meal prepping is a great tip; I find batch cooking a few staple dishes that can be mixed and matched helps too. It takes the chore out of cooking when you're tired and also saves money on takeout!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu