• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Productivity Hacks

I'm a big fan of batching similar tasks together. For example, I group my emails and only focus on them at certain points in the day - it means I can give emails my full attention without getting distracted by other tasks.

I also like to dedicate some time each week to planning my ideal week ahead - considering all my commitments and energy levels, and mapping out what an ideal scenario would look like. Even if I don't stick to the plan exactly, it's a helpful exercise to be aware of what's coming up and to visualise a productive and manageable workflow.

Also, taking notes from the Getting Things Done methodology has helped - capturing everything that's on my mind onto paper (or digital document!) clears the mental clutter and means I can forget about those tasks, knowing they're safely recorded.

That's a great strategy! Batching similar tasks is a real time saver - it's efficient and helps you focus.

I also love the planning session for the ideal week ahead; it's a great way to stay ahead of your commitments and visualize what needs to be done. Plus, it's encouraging to have a clear idea of the upcoming week.

And yes, getting things out of your head and onto paper/screen is such a relief! Clearing that mental clutter really helps you focus on the task at hand without worrying about forgetting anything. You're left with a manageable list - or in your case, a well-organized digital record!

What other techniques have you found useful for planning and productivity?

I'm a big fan of batching similar tasks together. For example, I group my emails and only focus on them at certain points in the day - it means I can give emails my full attention without getting distracted by other tasks.

I also like to dedicate some time each week to planning my ideal week ahead - considering all my commitments and energy levels, and mapping out what an ideal scenario would look like. Even if I don't stick to the plan exactly, it's a helpful exercise to be aware of what's coming up and to visualise a productive and manageable workflow.

Also, taking notes from the Getting Things Done methodology has helped - capturing everything that's on my mind onto paper (or digital document!) clears the mental clutter and means I can forget about those tasks, knowing they're safely recorded.
I love the idea of batching emails; it makes a lot of sense to tackle them in focused batches. And that's a good point about mental clearance - tick those emails off in one go and they don't linger as a distraction!

Your planning session for an ideal week ahead sounds like a productive yet relaxing activity - kind of like a virtual holiday in itself! Visualising your commitments and an efficient workflow certainly sets you up with a positive mindset.

The Getting Things Done approach is a great recommendation too; it's a light but effective method to keep track of tasks and responsibilities, which I find particularly useful given today's fast-paced lifestyle.

It's fantastic gathering all these insights - so many little tweaks to try!

I love the idea of batching emails; it makes a lot of sense to tackle them in focused batches. And that's a good point about mental clearance - tick those emails off in one go and they don't linger as a distraction!

Your planning session for an ideal week ahead sounds like a productive yet relaxing activity - kind of like a virtual holiday in itself! Visualising your commitments and an efficient workflow certainly sets you up with a positive mindset.

The Getting Things Done approach is a great recommendation too; it's a light but effective method to keep track of tasks and responsibilities, which I find particularly useful given today's fast-paced lifestyle.

It's fantastic gathering all these insights - so many little tweaks to try!
There's no end to these productivity insights and discovering what works for you is half the fun!

I've recently started experimenting with time blocking and found it quite interesting. You set aside specific time slots for different tasks or focus areas, giving each activity your undivided attention. So you might block an hour each morning just for exercise, another few hours for work, etc. It's a very structured approach but seems to help you make the most of every moment.

I've also heard people recommend a 'do it later' list - the opposite to your anti-'to do' list! This is for things that you don't want to forget but aren't urgent and can wait, helping to clear your immediate workload and ease some mental burden.

Keep those suggestions coming; they're incredibly helpful!

I like the time blocking trick too - especially for more labor-intensive tasks like research. I set a timer and give myself dedicated time to really focus without distractions.

The Pomodoro Technique is also great; 25 minutes of focused work with short breaks in between, and then a longer one after a few cycles. It helps maintain productivity and stops you from burning out. I find it works well for writing, especially when you're trying to reach a word count or get creative juices flowing.

Also, the 'do it later' list is a brilliant idea! I often use the notes app on my phone for this - anything that's floating around in my head but isn't urgent goes there. Then I can review it when I have some down time and decide if it's worth pursuing or not. Sometimes just getting it out of your head is enough, though; it's like giving yourself permission to forget about it for a while!

I'm a huge fan of the Pomodoro Technique too - it's amazing how much focus you can gain with dedicated, timed concentration! I find using an old-school mechanical timer helps me stay authentic to the technique, as opposed to the digital clock on my computer which might tempt me to check emails or messages when it's break time.

And yes, getting things out of your head and onto a 'do it later' list is so therapeutic! I use a physical notepad for this, and keep a record of everything that I need to remember - from tasks to random ideas, even notes for future blog posts. Then, when I have some downtime, I can dive into my list and tackle those tasks without the mental burden of trying to recall them all.

I agree that keeping things physical is so much more helpful sometimes! There's something satisfying about ticking off items on a paper list too - often I'll jot down tasks on scrap pieces of paper just to get that tactile, visual satisfaction of physically marking them done. I feel like it's a very real representation of progress, especially for more mundane jobs!

Absolutely! I think keeping things visual and physical really helps with productivity - there's a sense of achievement seeing your to-do list physically shorten. Plus, it's satisfying to add lots of little post-it notes to get an idea of the overall progress made too!

• Haha
Reactions: nature and cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu