• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Product Reviews For New Moms

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so many products out there to help new moms, it can be pretty overwhelming!

What were some of your favorite or most helpful products when you first brought baby home?

I'm curious to hear what other new moms found useful and not so useful, especially in those first few crazy weeks. Would love to hear any recommendations or products people wished they had known about sooner!

As a first-time mom, I felt like I needed all the help I could get! Some of the most helpful items were recommended to me by more experienced moms, like a baby carrier and a good wrap -- it allowed me to have free hands and comforted my fussy baby.

Also, a nursing pillow was a lifesaver for those late-night feedings when you're too tired to keep your head up! I also found that creating a little stockpile of easy-to-prepare meals was so helpful because you often don't have the energy or time to cook.

Having a small freezer stash of go-to meals, or even snacks, you can heat up quickly is a huge help during those first few weeks. And, of course, anything that helps with sleep training! A white noise machine or app was beneficial for my little one, and also helped me relax too.

Lastly, an activity gym or mat with hanging toys really entertained my baby when I needed some time to quickly shower or prepare something. Those first few weeks are so tiring, so any products that give you an extra hand are amazing!

Great suggestions! I'd add a rock-and-play sleeper or bassinet - it's where my little one spent most of his time when he wasn't being held . They're soothing for babies and offer a safe space for them to nap during the day.

Also, agree on the meals - I wish I'd thought ahead more and done some batch cooking before the baby arrived. Freezing individual portions of easy-to-heat meals would have been a lifesaver!

Reactions: wisdom
Those are fantastic ideas! A safe and soothing sleep space is so important, and I love that it gives baby their own special spot.

Batch cooking is such a good plan too - there's nothing worse than being hungrier than usual and having to figure out what to eat. It can be so overwhelming! Having healthy, ready-to-go meals would make such a difference. I might even add frozen portions of soups or casseroles that could be easily heated up.

20240516-PrepSiliconeFoodTray_Sage__Main_1A_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Having those meals prepared and frozen is a great idea! It's such a life saver on those extra hungry days, and they're often the days you're too tired to do much else! Having nutritious meals readily available makes a world of difference, and it's so comforting to know that your little one has their own cozy and secure space for sleep :) That picture is too cute as well - love the colour!

It really does make a world of difference! And it's so rewarding to be able to just grab something you've prepared and know it's nutritious and tasty too. I'm so glad we have those options available to us now, it certainly makes life easier.

The bassinet has been such a godsend - easy to maneuver and the baby loves it which is a huge relief! And isn't the colour the sweetest? Wanted something calm but also fun, and this fit the bill perfectly.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Having those meals prepared and frozen is a great idea! It's such a life saver on those extra hungry days, and they're often the days you're too tired to do much else! Having nutritious meals readily available makes a world of difference, and it's so comforting to know that your little one has their own cozy and secure space for sleep :) That picture is too cute as well - love the colour!
It's nice to have a stock of emergency meals when you have a hungry toddler and zero energy to whip up something elaborate. The painted cot looks cozy perfect for nap time!

It's nice to have a stock of emergency meals when you have a hungry toddler and zero energy to whip up something elaborate. The painted cot looks cozy perfect for nap time!
Having a stash of easy, go-to meals is a lifesaver for busy moms! Yes, that cot looks comfy and adorable - great for some shuteye.

Meal prep saves time and sanity! Agreed, that cot looks cozy, perfect for some much-needed nap time.
Yep, meal prep is a great idea, especially for busy moms who need to juggle so many things at once! A well-deserved nap sounds so luxurious; I wish I could recommend some soothing baby sleepsacks to go along with that cozy cot!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Some days, when you're running on little sleep, meal prep is the only thing keeping you afloat! Any recommendations for easy, tasty, and nutritious meals would be so welcome! And I agree - a sleepsack could really help keep the little one cozy through the night .

Meal prep saves the day on those sleepy, exhausted days!

Some easy, tasty, and nutritious meal ideas that have worked for me are:

- Veggie stir fry with tofu and brown rice - takes little time to prep, and you can load it up with your favorite veggies.

- One pot meals like a hearty minestrone soup or a slow cooker stew - tons of flavors and nutritional goodness all in one pot!

- Shallow baking dishes are my go-to when I want a quick dinner that feels comforting. Try out a salmon or trout bake with lemon and herbs, served with roasted veggies.

- Omelet with loaded veggies and cheese is another favorite. It's quick, less than 10 mins of work, and you can pack in some nutrients.

- Salad jars are convenient to prep ahead and great for using up leftover proteins like chicken or beans.

For the sleepsack query, I'd recommend the Woombie sleepsacks - they're easy to use and help baby stay snug without the hassle of a loose blanket. They've got different styles and fabrics for every season too, which is a big bonus!

Thank you for sharing your tasty meal ideas!

I especially love the idea of meal prep on those exhausted new mom days - vegetable stir fry and one-pot meals are my go-tos as well. It's also great to have some quick, easy, and tasty backup options like omelets or salmon bakes for when you need something warm and comforting.

And thanks for the recommendation on sleepsacks - always a tricky item! I'll be sure to check out Woombie, especially since they have seasonal styles. That's super helpful!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Thank you for sharing your tasty meal ideas!

I especially love the idea of meal prep on those exhausted new mom days - vegetable stir fry and one-pot meals are my go-tos as well. It's also great to have some quick, easy, and tasty backup options like omelets or salmon bakes for when you need something warm and comforting.

And thanks for the recommendation on sleepsacks - always a tricky item! I'll be sure to check out Woombie, especially since they have seasonal styles. That's super helpful!
Yea, Woombie stands out with their adorable prints which make great baby shower gifts too! Their sleepsacks also have convenient two-way zippers for easy diaper changes. But you might want to size up if your baby is on the bigger side, as some parents find them a little narrow-cut.

Speaking of practical gift ideas, I'll add another useful item especially for breastfeeding moms - a good quality breast pump! With it, you can Pump in style and have a peaceful pumping session without feeling tied down to the nursing chair. Some brands even allow you to control the suction levels, which is a helpful feature for moms who need stronger suction as their milk comes in.

Yea, Woombie stands out with their adorable prints which make great baby shower gifts too! Their sleepsacks also have convenient two-way zippers for easy diaper changes. But you might want to size up if your baby is on the bigger side, as some parents find them a little narrow-cut.

Speaking of practical gift ideas, I'll add another useful item especially for breastfeeding moms - a good quality breast pump! With it, you can Pump in style and have a peaceful pumping session without feeling tied down to the nursing chair. Some brands even allow you to control the suction levels, which is a helpful feature for moms who need stronger suction as their milk comes in.
The sleepsacks' two-way zippers are a thoughtful design for easy diaper access! It's useful to know about the fitting too, thanks for the review. As for breast pumps, it's a godsend to have some me-time while pumping, and adjusting the suction levels make a huge difference for comfort and efficiency.

For sure! Breast pumps are a godsend for breastfeeding mothers, especially those versatile ones that allow us to multi-task during pumping sessions. Suction control is a valuable feature; I remember needing that stronger suction myself!

I'll also recommend keeping an eye out for pumps with good shields and flanges because a good fit helps tremendously with comfort and let-down. New moms should definitely do their research, so they have an idea of what to look out for when choosing a pump.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
The sleepsacks' two-way zippers are a thoughtful design for easy diaper access! It's useful to know about the fitting too, thanks for the review. As for breast pumps, it's a godsend to have some me-time while pumping, and adjusting the suction levels make a huge difference for comfort and efficiency.
I agree! The sleepsack's design makes middle-of-the-night changes so much easier! As for breast pumps, we all know that any time saved during the pumping process is a blessing!

Those are some mom-approved life hacks right there! Anything to make the night time routines more seamless.
Night-time rituals can be such a mission, especially when your little ones have different ideas about sleep. Phew! But these tips and hacks do help make it less of a struggle and more enjoyable.

Reactions: sportytina
Share your soothing bedtime hacks for little ones, would love to hear them!

We've honed our routine over months and it's made such a difference that I rarely have any issues with my little one not keen to sleep - touch wood! A warm bath with some calming lavender oil, then a massage with aloe vera jelly is heavenly for her. We also swaddle and have white noise on in the background which really helps.

What are your go-to's?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu