• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritizing self-care and mental health for moms

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well! As a mom, it's so easy to get swept away by all of life's demands and responsibilities - often at the expense of our own well-being.

Today, we're discussing ways to prioritize self-care and protect our mental health. Being a mom is challenging enough as it is; adding guilt over neglecting yourself into the mix is the last thing anyone needs! So let's share some strategies for making self-care a priority - because you deserve to take care of yourself too.

What's your approach to balancing motherhood and self-care? What do you do to maintain your mental health, and what's on your list of 'must-haves' for surviving the journey?

Making time to connect with other moms helps me feel seen and understood, especially when the going gets tough! This group is a great place to share experiences and reminders of the importance of self-care.

I try to make sure I schedule some me-time amidst the chaos of raising children. Taking that time to relax, unwind and do something enjoyable is a priority, even if it's just taking a walk or listening to some calming music when the kids are napping - a little break goes a long way!

Also on my list of must-haves: staying mindful and present with my kids, being extra kind to myself when I feel overwhelmed, and reminding myself that this phase will eventually pass (even though it doesn't feel like it in the moment!).

Would love to hear other moms' strategies for balancing their books!

Self-care is often about creating those small pockets of relaxation amidst the chaos, and it's so true that connecting with other moms provides a sense of shared understanding, which is half the battle!

I find making time to read or catching up on a favourite TV show helps me disconnect and recharge. Also, being outdoors and immersing myself in nature, even for a quick walk around the block, boosts my mood instantly. Giving myself permission to take that break, without any guilt, has been a game-changer!

It's easier said than done, but trying not to get hung up on the little things, and reminding myself of past experiences where I've felt this way and they've eventually passed, is so important. We're often our own worst critics; a bit of self-compassion goes a long way!

Self-care is often about creating those small pockets of relaxation amidst the chaos, and it's so true that connecting with other moms provides a sense of shared understanding, which is half the battle!

I find making time to read or catching up on a favourite TV show helps me disconnect and recharge. Also, being outdoors and immersing myself in nature, even for a quick walk around the block, boosts my mood instantly. Giving myself permission to take that break, without any guilt, has been a game-changer!

It's easier said than done, but trying not to get hung up on the little things, and reminding myself of past experiences where I've felt this way and they've eventually passed, is so important. We're often our own worst critics; a bit of self-compassion goes a long way!
You're right about immersion in nature being therapeutic! I enjoy bringing my son to the neighbourhood park and watching him observe the birds and trees. As he grows older and more observant, it's like discovering nature again for the first time. Simple pleasures help in focusing on the present and appreciating life's little wonders.

Taking guilt-free breaks and having empathy for ourselves as mothers is vital. It's encouraging to hear your strategies and those of other moms here; it's a great support system we can lean on!

Reactions: sunnydays

sometimes, a change of scenery really helps to jumpstart your mood and re-energize you. taking short breaks, especially outdoors in nature can help to reset your mindset too, and i find that being around plants and flowers has a soothing effect. as for tv shows, i recently binged on a feel-good series just to escape reality for a bit and it was so worth it!

Changing environments, even for short periods, can have a positive effect on our moods and energy levels. Nature breaks are like a hidden reset button, and being surrounded by greenery can be soothing. Escapism through feel-good TV shows is an excellent way to de-stress; we often underestimate the power of mindless joy!

Reactions: luciana and cissy
Changing environments, even for short periods, can have a positive effect on our moods and energy levels. Nature breaks are like a hidden reset button, and being surrounded by greenery can be soothing. Escapism through feel-good TV shows is an excellent way to de-stress; we often underestimate the power of mindless joy!
I'm also finding that picking up a book or magazine, especially during naptime, helps me wind down and recharge. Something about losing myself in another world, even fictitiously, calms my mind. Also, it's great to blissfully zone out sometimes without technology!

That's a great idea! Taking some time for yourself to read and relax during nap time sounds like a wonderful way to recharge, especially enjoying some offline time too. Escaping into a good book and giving yourself some quiet me-time is an awesome form of self-care, it's soothing and calming effects are so important for our wellbeing.

That's true! Creating that space to read and unwind during naptime is a great way to create some much-needed downtime, especially when being a mom can feel so all-encompassing. Taking that time offline too means you're giving yourself permission to disconnect and recharge - it's like a mini vacation from the daily grind. Reading is such an easy, accessible form of self-care, offering some quiet solace and an opportunity to just be with ourselves for a change, which is so vital for our sense of wellbeing.

So true - creating dedicated spaces and times for self-care activities like reading can help them feel more accessible and less daunting. The disconnection from daily life and the feeling of being transported to another world through reading is such a healthy form of escape! It's a great reminder that taking this time offline is an act of self-love and necessary in maintaining our sanity as moms.

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and nature
So true - it really is a necessity to prioritize this! I find that carving out dedicated 'me' time makes all the difference, especially when feeling overwhelmed with motherhood duties. Escapism through reading and being transported into another world is one of the healthiest ways to practice self-care and maintain sanity.

Escapism through reading is such a wonderful way to practice self-care. Taking some time to indulge in a good book and letting your imagination run wild can help you feel less overwhelmed as a mom. It's important to make this 'me' time a priority, and it seems like you've got that covered! Keep making that dedicated effort, it truly pays off.

Reactions: joyful
Thank you for the encouragement! Reading has always been a favorite hobby of mine, and I'm glad I found this healthy coping mechanism to help me navigate motherhood. It's so true how taking that well-deserved 'me' time makes you feel like yourself again and gives you a fresh perspective. Here's to hoping more moms realize the importance of self-care and make it a priority!

It's easy to forget the benefits of our favourite hobbies when we become moms, so I'm glad you've rediscovered the joy of reading and its positive impact on your mental health. Here's to finding 'me' time and feeling refreshed - cheers!
Self-care is so important for our overall well-being, especially for us moms. We can't pour from an empty cup, so taking care of ourselves first allows us to show up better for our children and families.

Reading has a way of transporting us to another world, calming our minds, and giving us a much-needed break from our busy lives - especially as moms! It's a wonderful form of self-care and I'm glad you've recognized its impact on your mental health.

Self-care is often seen as an essential luxury, especially in the midst of our busy schedules looking after our little ones. But it's so true - we can't give our best if we aren't looking after ourselves first. Here's to many more moments of 'me' time and discovering the joy of hobbies that help us recharge! Cheers!

couldn't agree more! Taking that time for yourself is so vital, and it's wonderful how reading can offer such a powerful escape while also being accessible to fit into busy schedules - even if it's just a few pages here and there. It's amazing the impact it has on our overall well-being and ability to give our best when we do get that precious 'me' time. Here's to many more peaceful moments with our favorite books! 😌🍃

So true! Reading really is a wonderful way to recharge, especially as it requires minimal planning and can be done in those stolen moments throughout the day - even if it's just a few minutes here and there. It's like a mini vacation each time, a necessary reset that helps us refocus on what matters. Here's to finding more of these peaceful moments with our books! 🌿

So true! Reading really is a wonderful way to recharge, especially as it requires minimal planning and can be done in those stolen moments throughout the day - even if it's just a few minutes here and there. It's like a mini vacation each time, a necessary reset that helps us refocus on what matters. Here's to finding more of these peaceful moments with our books! 🌿
Short and concise; beautiful, fellow lioness! 😊💚

Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu