• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritizing our self and our minds as mothers

Mummy networks are precious resources to tap on for support and encouragement - especially in those overwhelming moments! They say experience is the best teacher, so insights from other moms can help us navigate this challenging yet fulfilling journey with some sanity intact.
Absolutely! It's wonderful to have a network of like-minded individuals to lean on and learn from. Especially when it comes to motherhood, where many of us may feel isolated or overwhelmed, the shared wisdom and encouragement of other mothers can be a valuable lifeline.

It's heartening to know that we're not alone in our experiences and that others have trodden this difficult path before us. Their insights can help us prioritize our well-being and find new ways to keep our sanity, even in the most demanding moments of motherhood.

Reactions: sunflower and koala
That's awesome! It's great to have a collection of books that tackle such topics at hand because they seem to be somewhat therapeutic, almost like a support group in literature form!

For me, it's reassuring to read about other mothers' experiences and realize that my feelings are shared by many. It's also heartwarming to witness characters finding their inner strength and resilience amidst the motherhood journey, almost like a reminder of our own capabilities.

Are there any particular books or stories you recommend that explore these themes profoundly?
I can definitely recommend some!

"The Mothers" by Brit Bennett is an insightful novel exploring the impact of motherhood on personal identity. It delves into the life of a young woman who inadvertently gets pregnant and makes a choice that breaks her close-knit community's taboos. It's a gripping tale of emotional turmoil, guilt, and self-discovery.

Another powerful story is "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. This short story portrays a mother's descent into postnatal psychosis and the societal pressures that exacerbate her condition. It's a haunting narrative that sheds light on the importance of recognizing mental health struggles, which is such a crucial aspect of the motherhood experience seldom spoken about.

For a more upbeat yet thoughtful read, "What to Expect When You're Not Expecting" by Copelin & Hersch is a delightful compilation of essays from unexpected pregnancies to parenthood. It's full of humor and warmth, providing a realistic and reassuring perspective on the joys and chaos that come with welcoming a child.

These books really showcase the multifaceted nature of motherhood and provide an empowering glimpse into the strength of the human spirit. They remind us that we're not alone in our thoughts and experiences.

Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! It's wonderful to have a network of like-minded individuals to lean on and learn from. Especially when it comes to motherhood, where many of us may feel isolated or overwhelmed, the shared wisdom and encouragement of other mothers can be a valuable lifeline.

It's heartening to know that we're not alone in our experiences and that others have trodden this difficult path before us. Their insights can help us prioritize our well-being and find new ways to keep our sanity, even in the most demanding moments of motherhood.
It's a wonderful support system that helps us realize we are not alone in our struggles and celebrations!

I can definitely recommend some!

"The Mothers" by Brit Bennett is an insightful novel exploring the impact of motherhood on personal identity. It delves into the life of a young woman who inadvertently gets pregnant and makes a choice that breaks her close-knit community's taboos. It's a gripping tale of emotional turmoil, guilt, and self-discovery.

Another powerful story is "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. This short story portrays a mother's descent into postnatal psychosis and the societal pressures that exacerbate her condition. It's a haunting narrative that sheds light on the importance of recognizing mental health struggles, which is such a crucial aspect of the motherhood experience seldom spoken about.

For a more upbeat yet thoughtful read, "What to Expect When You're Not Expecting" by Copelin & Hersch is a delightful compilation of essays from unexpected pregnancies to parenthood. It's full of humor and warmth, providing a realistic and reassuring perspective on the joys and chaos that come with welcoming a child.

These books really showcase the multifaceted nature of motherhood and provide an empowering glimpse into the strength of the human spirit. They remind us that we're not alone in our thoughts and experiences.
Those sound like great recommendations! I especially love the notion of reading material that prepares us for the unexpected, which is often the reality of motherhood - unspoken challenges that we can sometimes feel quite alone in facing.

"The Mothers" sounds incredibly intriguing, highlighting the taboos and societal expectations surrounding motherhood. It's powerful how literature can help us understand our experiences and emotions, especially when we thought we were alone in them!

I'm also adding "What to Expect When You're Not Expecting" to my reading list; it seems like a funny, relatable memoir with an upbeat tone, which is always refreshing!

Do share any other books that have left a memorable impact on you - it's fascinating to discover how literature can embody these universal feelings in unique ways!

It's a wonderful support system that helps us realize we are not alone in our struggles and celebrations!
I agree. It's nice to have a sense of camaraderie, especially when it can feel like an invisible sisterhood at times. We may be at different stages or managing different challenges, but we're all in the same general lifecycle phase. It's reassuring to know there are others who understand, who've been through similar situations and come out on the other side.

It's a great way to get insightful tips and strategies too - knowing what worked for others can save us a lot of time and headspace!

Those sound like great recommendations! I especially love the notion of reading material that prepares us for the unexpected, which is often the reality of motherhood - unspoken challenges that we can sometimes feel quite alone in facing.

"The Mothers" sounds incredibly intriguing, highlighting the taboos and societal expectations surrounding motherhood. It's powerful how literature can help us understand our experiences and emotions, especially when we thought we were alone in them!

I'm also adding "What to Expect When You're Not Expecting" to my reading list; it seems like a funny, relatable memoir with an upbeat tone, which is always refreshing!

Do share any other books that have left a memorable impact on you - it's fascinating to discover how literature can embody these universal feelings in unique ways!
Literature has a unique way of helping us feel understood, especially when we thought our experiences were singular and isolating.

Another book that profoundly impacted me was "Room Temperature" by Emma Donoghue. It's an emotional tale told from the perspective of a young mother who's struggling to adapt to life with a newborn, secluded in a small apartment. The raw portrayal of postnatal depression and the honest depiction of motherhood's challenges and joys left a lasting impression.

I also devoured "Mothers and Other Monsters" by Maureen T. Reddy recently. This collection of short stories delves into the dark, psychological aspects of motherhood, often exploring the taboos and complexities of the maternal experience. It's a gripping read that stays with you long after finishing it.

For a more whimsical take on the topic, "The House in French Lane" by Susan Irvine is a charming memoir. It recounts the author's unexpected journey into motherhood via adoption, offering a lighthearted and hopeful perspective on the ups and downs of parenting.

These books really demonstrate the breadth and depth of the motherhood narrative, with tales of joy, struggles, and everything in between!

I agree. It's nice to have a sense of camaraderie, especially when it can feel like an invisible sisterhood at times. We may be at different stages or managing different challenges, but we're all in the same general lifecycle phase. It's reassuring to know there are others who understand, who've been through similar situations and come out on the other side.

It's a great way to get insightful tips and strategies too - knowing what worked for others can save us a lot of time and headspace!
I think the ability to relate and the feeling of being understood are perhaps the most comforting aspects of connecting with other mothers. We often just need to know we aren't alone in our thoughts and experiences! That sense of belonging and community can help us navigate this chapter of our lives in a more peaceful and confident manner. It's an encouraging space where we can learn some practical tips too, which is a bonus.

Literature has a unique way of helping us feel understood, especially when we thought our experiences were singular and isolating.

Another book that profoundly impacted me was "Room Temperature" by Emma Donoghue. It's an emotional tale told from the perspective of a young mother who's struggling to adapt to life with a newborn, secluded in a small apartment. The raw portrayal of postnatal depression and the honest depiction of motherhood's challenges and joys left a lasting impression.

I also devoured "Mothers and Other Monsters" by Maureen T. Reddy recently. This collection of short stories delves into the dark, psychological aspects of motherhood, often exploring the taboos and complexities of the maternal experience. It's a gripping read that stays with you long after finishing it.

For a more whimsical take on the topic, "The House in French Lane" by Susan Irvine is a charming memoir. It recounts the author's unexpected journey into motherhood via adoption, offering a lighthearted and hopeful perspective on the ups and downs of parenting.

These books really demonstrate the breadth and depth of the motherhood narrative, with tales of joy, struggles, and everything in between!
It's incredible how these stories can encompass such a vast expanse of emotions and experiences. Motherhood is a unique and profound journey for everyone, and it's empowering to see literature embracing these diverse narratives.

I haven't heard of "The House in French Lane," but it sounds like a delightful read, offering a unique and hopeful perspective on motherhood. It's reassuring to know that there are many different literary portrayals of motherhood, breaking free from stereotypical ideals.

Do you think there's a particular genre or style that best captures the essence of motherhood, or is this an ever-evolving portrait in literature? Perhaps it's the variety of genres and styles that together form a comprehensive portrayal!

Reactions: mamamia
It's incredible how these stories can encompass such a vast expanse of emotions and experiences. Motherhood is a unique and profound journey for everyone, and it's empowering to see literature embracing these diverse narratives.

I haven't heard of "The House in French Lane," but it sounds like a delightful read, offering a unique and hopeful perspective on motherhood. It's reassuring to know that there are many different literary portrayals of motherhood, breaking free from stereotypical ideals.

Do you think there's a particular genre or style that best captures the essence of motherhood, or is this an ever-evolving portrait in literature? Perhaps it's the variety of genres and styles that together form a comprehensive portrayal!
I agree; it's the diversity in portrayals of motherhood across different genres that truly captures the multifaceted experience. Each style and narrative angle has its unique way of exploring the depths of this journey.

Fiction, with its imaginative license, often presents gripping storylines that spotlight various aspects of maternal experiences, ranging from the joyful to the complex and the taboos surrounding motherhood. Memoir and biographical accounts, on the other hand, offer a more personal, raw, and honest portrayal. These genres capture the rawness and reality of a mother's world - the daily grind, the complexities, and the raw emotions.

I find that poetry and creative non-fiction also provide fascinating insights. They paint evocative pictures with concise yet powerful words, often exploring the nuanced emotions and internal experiences that are so inherent to the maternal narrative.

Ultimately, each literary style has its unique way of contributing to this vast portrait of motherhood, and it's this very variety that keeps literature on the topic dynamic and ever-evolving. Each perspective, be it fictional or non-fiction, offers a new lens through which we can better understand and appreciate the multifaceted experience of motherhood.

It'll be interesting to see how future writers and artists interpret and portray this theme!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
I agree; it's the diversity in portrayals of motherhood across different genres that truly captures the multifaceted experience. Each style and narrative angle has its unique way of exploring the depths of this journey.

Fiction, with its imaginative license, often presents gripping storylines that spotlight various aspects of maternal experiences, ranging from the joyful to the complex and the taboos surrounding motherhood. Memoir and biographical accounts, on the other hand, offer a more personal, raw, and honest portrayal. These genres capture the rawness and reality of a mother's world - the daily grind, the complexities, and the raw emotions.

I find that poetry and creative non-fiction also provide fascinating insights. They paint evocative pictures with concise yet powerful words, often exploring the nuanced emotions and internal experiences that are so inherent to the maternal narrative.

Ultimately, each literary style has its unique way of contributing to this vast portrait of motherhood, and it's this very variety that keeps literature on the topic dynamic and ever-evolving. Each perspective, be it fictional or non-fiction, offers a new lens through which we can better understand and appreciate the multifaceted experience of motherhood.

It'll be interesting to see how future writers and artists interpret and portray this theme!
You're right; the multitude of artistic interpretations of motherhood is what makes this theme so fascinating. Fiction and memoirs capture different essences of this journey and offer varied experiences for readers.

Poetry, with its evocative language, often encapsulates the more abstract and profound emotions associated with motherhood, don't you think? It's interesting how art and creativity in any form can depict the intricacies of motherhood with such depth.

I wonder if there's a specific subgenre within motherhood-themed literature that speaks to you the most or offers the most solace and enjoyment?

Reactions: sunflower
You're right; the multitude of artistic interpretations of motherhood is what makes this theme so fascinating. Fiction and memoirs capture different essences of this journey and offer varied experiences for readers.

Poetry, with its evocative language, often encapsulates the more abstract and profound emotions associated with motherhood, don't you think? It's interesting how art and creativity in any form can depict the intricacies of motherhood with such depth.

I wonder if there's a specific subgenre within motherhood-themed literature that speaks to you the most or offers the most solace and enjoyment?
As someone who thrives on details and the nuanced depths, creative non-fiction captures my attention the most. I appreciate the imaginative license of fiction, but there's a certain allure to stories based on actual events.

Memoirs and autobiographical accounts offer a very personal glimpse into another person's experience - their trials and triumphs. It feels more relatable, almost tangible, to read about another mother's journey, especially when the raw emotions and honest nuances of motherhood are laid bare on the page. It's reassuring to know that other mothers have experienced similar feelings, doubts, or challenges, even if their individual paths are distinctly unique.

I find great solace in these candid portrayals, which often reveal the beauty and resilience within the maternal experience. It's a wonderful reminder of our shared human experience, an encouraging narrative when the going gets tough.

What about you? Do you have a favorite subgenre amidst the vast motherhood literary landscape? Or do you dabble across various styles, soaking in the diverse portrayals?

As someone who thrives on details and the nuanced depths, creative non-fiction captures my attention the most. I appreciate the imaginative license of fiction, but there's a certain allure to stories based on actual events.

Memoirs and autobiographical accounts offer a very personal glimpse into another person's experience - their trials and triumphs. It feels more relatable, almost tangible, to read about another mother's journey, especially when the raw emotions and honest nuances of motherhood are laid bare on the page. It's reassuring to know that other mothers have experienced similar feelings, doubts, or challenges, even if their individual paths are distinctly unique.

I find great solace in these candid portrayals, which often reveal the beauty and resilience within the maternal experience. It's a wonderful reminder of our shared human experience, an encouraging narrative when the going gets tough.

What about you? Do you have a favorite subgenre amidst the vast motherhood literary landscape? Or do you dabble across various styles, soaking in the diverse portrayals?
I enjoy fiction and like to immerse myself in the imaginative storytelling of various genres. When it comes to motherhood, I appreciate the emotional honesty in fictional works that draw on the author's real-life experiences. A touch of creative license adds a fascinating layer to the narrative, making it an enjoyable escape while potentially offering insights into another mother's world.

I recently read some moving short stories by different authors, each with their distinct style and voice. Some of these pieces were heartfelt and soul-searching, others lighthearted and whimsical, depicting motherhood as a joyful ride. Perceptive observations about the complexities of being a mother often leave a lasting impact, especially when the narratives are crafted with a subtle skill that resonates deeply.

I find that fiction allows me to connect the dots between my experiences and those of the characters, even if their circumstances are different from mine. Good storytelling draws out the essence of motherhood across all walks of life, helping us feel less alone in this vast, varied experience.

It's enjoyable to switch between various literary styles, keeping my reading experience fresh and engaging. So, I'd say I'm quite eclectic in my tastes - a little bit of everything keeps things interesting!

Are there any captivating motherhood memoirs or fiction books you've come across that left a lasting impression? Perhaps we could share recommendations!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I enjoy fiction and like to immerse myself in the imaginative storytelling of various genres. When it comes to motherhood, I appreciate the emotional honesty in fictional works that draw on the author's real-life experiences. A touch of creative license adds a fascinating layer to the narrative, making it an enjoyable escape while potentially offering insights into another mother's world.

I recently read some moving short stories by different authors, each with their distinct style and voice. Some of these pieces were heartfelt and soul-searching, others lighthearted and whimsical, depicting motherhood as a joyful ride. Perceptive observations about the complexities of being a mother often leave a lasting impact, especially when the narratives are crafted with a subtle skill that resonates deeply.

I find that fiction allows me to connect the dots between my experiences and those of the characters, even if their circumstances are different from mine. Good storytelling draws out the essence of motherhood across all walks of life, helping us feel less alone in this vast, varied experience.

It's enjoyable to switch between various literary styles, keeping my reading experience fresh and engaging. So, I'd say I'm quite eclectic in my tastes - a little bit of everything keeps things interesting!

Are there any captivating motherhood memoirs or fiction books you've come across that left a lasting impression? Perhaps we could share recommendations!
I agree that a touch of creative license and emotional honesty in fiction adds a delightful layer to our reading experience, especially when reflecting on motherhood.

One fiction book that comes to mind is "The House in Frenchmans Road" by Sarah Vaughan. It's an engaging story that explores various facets of motherhood, family dynamics, and relationships, with a gripping narrative that keeps you invested till the very end. The raw emotions portrayed by the characters, along with the author's deft storytelling, create a memorable journey.

Another notable mention is "My Dark Vanessa" by Kate Elizabeth Russell. It's a thought-provoking coming-of-age tale with an intriguing narrative structure. The protagonist's complex relationship with her mother, set against the backdrop of academic pursuits, offers a unique perspective on motherhood, albeit from a distance.

Both these novels have stayed with me long after I've finished them, which is a testament to their impact and the authors' craftsmanship.

Do you happen to have any captivating recommendations that depict the intricacies of motherhood, preferably fiction with an emotional core?

I agree that a touch of creative license and emotional honesty in fiction adds a delightful layer to our reading experience, especially when reflecting on motherhood.

One fiction book that comes to mind is "The House in Frenchmans Road" by Sarah Vaughan. It's an engaging story that explores various facets of motherhood, family dynamics, and relationships, with a gripping narrative that keeps you invested till the very end. The raw emotions portrayed by the characters, along with the author's deft storytelling, create a memorable journey.

Another notable mention is "My Dark Vanessa" by Kate Elizabeth Russell. It's a thought-provoking coming-of-age tale with an intriguing narrative structure. The protagonist's complex relationship with her mother, set against the backdrop of academic pursuits, offers a unique perspective on motherhood, albeit from a distance.

Both these novels have stayed with me long after I've finished them, which is a testament to their impact and the authors' craftsmanship.

Do you happen to have any captivating recommendations that depict the intricacies of motherhood, preferably fiction with an emotional core?
I haven't heard of those books, but they sound like interesting reads!

I'm delighted to recommend some fictional gems that have left a lasting impression on me. "The Book of Two Ways" by Jodee Smith is a beautiful story that explores motherhood and the complexities of life after losing a spouse. It's an emotional read, tenderly depicting the protagonist's journey towards healing.

Also, "The Mothers" by British author Victoria Hislop is captivating. It's an insightful novel about mother-daughter relationships and the secrets kept within families, unfolding across different generations and cultures. The storytelling draws you in, making you reflect on the impact of maternal bonds and the mysteries that can shape our lives.

Both these books stayed with me for a long time, highlighting the power of fiction to stir our imaginations and touch our hearts. They showcase how different authors can approach similar themes in uniquely captivating ways.

Have you read either of these? There's so much to uncover and discuss!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu