• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy journeys, from 1st to 3rd trimesters

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your experiences of those three distinct phases! How did you feel physically and emotionally during each? What significant milestones or challenges did you experience in each trimester? And how did your body change throughout this incredible journey?

I found the first trimester to be the most difficult physically, as exhaustion and morning sickness hit me hard! I was exhausted all the time even though I was sleeping several hours more than usual each night. I also had constant nausea, which was not fun, although I never actually vomited.

The second trimester was a huge relief after that. I felt like myself again and had so much more energy. I finally enjoyed being pregnant - my bump started showing, and it became real excitement kicked in. This phase was probably the most emotionally enjoyable. physically, I felt great - apart from having to pee all the time and some aches and pains towards the end!

The third trimester brought on the anxiety of preparations - we hadn't done anything for the baby yet! It was a very busy time, getting the nursery ready and attending birth classes etc., which kept me occupied. Physically I felt slower and more uncomfortable as the bump grew, but overall I remained quite active and mobile right up until the end.

My labour was 4 days overdue and induced, so that was a tricky time emotionally as I had convinced myself something was wrong because all the apps etc said he'd be here already! Luckily, everything went well and healthy baby at the end made it all worthwhile. Would love to hear others' experiences too

I found the first trimester to be the most difficult physically, as exhaustion and morning sickness hit me hard! I was exhausted all the time even though I was sleeping several hours more than usual each night. I also had constant nausea, which was not fun, although I never actually vomited.

The second trimester was a huge relief after that. I felt like myself again and had so much more energy. I finally enjoyed being pregnant - my bump started showing, and it became real excitement kicked in. This phase was probably the most emotionally enjoyable. physically, I felt great - apart from having to pee all the time and some aches and pains towards the end!

The third trimester brought on the anxiety of preparations - we hadn't done anything for the baby yet! It was a very busy time, getting the nursery ready and attending birth classes etc., which kept me occupied. Physically I felt slower and more uncomfortable as the bump grew, but overall I remained quite active and mobile right up until the end.

My labour was 4 days overdue and induced, so that was a tricky time emotionally as I had convinced myself something was wrong because all the apps etc said he'd be here already! Luckily, everything went well and healthy baby at the end made it all worthwhile. Would love to hear others' experiences too
The first trimester was a blurry haze of exhaustion and constant low-level nausea. I remember feeling extremely tired, like my body was just exhausted with this new life growing inside me. I needed multiple naps daily and could literally sleep through loud noises; my body was like a sleeping volcano. Mood swings and food aversion were also at an all-time high. I would burst into tears at the mention of certain foods, which my husband unfortunately learnt the hard way!

The second trimester brought some relief from these symptoms, and I finally started embracing the pregnancy. I could feel the little one kicking and moving; it was a fascinating and comforting sensation. I enjoyed this phase the most emotionally; I had a glow and a newfound appreciation for my body's capabilities. However, as the bump grew, physical discomfort began to creep in - heartburn, sore muscles, and difficulty sleeping were the main culprits.

As the third trimester hit, reality began to sink in. I knew our lives would change forever, and nesting instincts kicked in. I spent most of this phase organizing, sorting, and preparing for the baby's arrival. It was an excited but anxious time, anticipating the unknown and hoping that all would go well. My body continued to grow and felt very heavy; getting comfortable in any position was difficult. Backaches and frequent trips to the bathroom added to the fun!

The final week was a tense one as we awaited the arrival of our little one. Each contraction during labour felt like forever, but the moment I held my newborn, every pain vanished. It's an incredible, life-changing journey, and though it's not easy, it's so very worth it!

I felt quite differently in each trimester, which definitely kept things interesting!

First trimester - I was so nervous and anxious those initial few weeks, what with all the initial pregnancy symptoms like extreme fatigue and soreness that came with it. I worried a lot about miscarriage, which seemed so common according to online forums. Fortunately, my husband kept me level-headed most of the time. At about 12 weeks, things got a little easier, and I enjoyed some relief from the exhaustion and sickness.

The second trimester was when I felt the most confident and energetic. I embraced the pregnancy properly and started connecting with my bump, which was obvious now. I loved picking out baby clothes and preparing the nursery. It was an exciting time emotionally, imagining what our life would be like with a newborn.

As for the third, well, this was a real mixed bag emotionally. I was so large and uncomfortable physically, especially towards the end. Some days I felt nest-icky and prepared snacks and meals, while other days I fretted that the baby wouldn't come out or something would go wrong. I think all expectant mothers get those jitters, you know? But it was also an exciting time, knowing that our lives were about to change in a huge way.

I had a water birth at 40 weeks, which was an incredible experience - though a lot harder than I'd anticipated - so I'm glad everything went smoothly! Can't help but wonder how different each phase is with subsequent pregnancies, since everyone says they're so different. Would love to hear about other mamas' journey too!

Reactions: lioness
The first trimester was a blurry haze of exhaustion and constant low-level nausea. I remember feeling extremely tired, like my body was just exhausted with this new life growing inside me. I needed multiple naps daily and could literally sleep through loud noises; my body was like a sleeping volcano. Mood swings and food aversion were also at an all-time high. I would burst into tears at the mention of certain foods, which my husband unfortunately learnt the hard way!

The second trimester brought some relief from these symptoms, and I finally started embracing the pregnancy. I could feel the little one kicking and moving; it was a fascinating and comforting sensation. I enjoyed this phase the most emotionally; I had a glow and a newfound appreciation for my body's capabilities. However, as the bump grew, physical discomfort began to creep in - heartburn, sore muscles, and difficulty sleeping were the main culprits.

As the third trimester hit, reality began to sink in. I knew our lives would change forever, and nesting instincts kicked in. I spent most of this phase organizing, sorting, and preparing for the baby's arrival. It was an excited but anxious time, anticipating the unknown and hoping that all would go well. My body continued to grow and felt very heavy; getting comfortable in any position was difficult. Backaches and frequent trips to the bathroom added to the fun!

The final week was a tense one as we awaited the arrival of our little one. Each contraction during labour felt like forever, but the moment I held my newborn, every pain vanished. It's an incredible, life-changing journey, and though it's not easy, it's so very worth it!
Sounds like you've been through an incredible pregnancy journey too! It's amazing what our bodies can do.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Sounds like you've been through an incredible pregnancy journey too! It's amazing what our bodies can do.
it is a remarkable and empowering experience. Every woman should feel proud of their resilience and strength during this incredible journey. It is a testament to the power of the human body and its incredible capabilities. Nature is truly awe-inspiring!

Have you considered documenting your experiences in a journal or scrapbook? It could be a lovely keepsake to look back on, especially as your little one grows up - a sweet reminder of that special bond and those precious early moments. I've heard of mums even adding ultrasound photos and little keepsakes like the hospital wristband, which is such a cute idea! It's also a wonderful way to record all those memories, especially the funny or challenging moments, which might otherwise fade over time.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and wisdom
it's a life-changing experience that tests your body's capabilities - a true marvel!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
It really is an amazing, life-altering journey! Every trimester comes with its own set of challenges and triumphs - it's incredible how our bodies can adapt and nourish a tiny human being. It's a true blessing and well worth all the discomforts and changes along the way :)

You said it! It's mind-boggling what our bodies can do and an incredible reminder of the strength and resilience of the human body. Nature is truly amazing! Congrats on your journey, and I hope all continues to go well for you :)

Thank you so much!! It's really incredible - nature is wise and the body's capabilities are truly awe-inspiring 😊🤩 I'm always blown away when I think about it.. And thank you - all the well wishes are definitely appreciated as we continue this adventure! 🎈👶🏼

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Nature has a lot of wisdom and the human body is just incredible! All the best for the journey ahead, it's such an exciting adventure and nature does it all so seamlessly! 🎶🌸👼🏼

It really is amazing what our bodies can do - a whole new perspective on the word 'multitasking'! Nature certainly knows best 😊 All the very best to you too, thank you for your kind words!

Nature is amazing and I'm so fascinated by what our bodies are capable of doing! Thank you, hope you're doing well too!

It's truly remarkable, isn't it? Our bodies are incredibly resilient and adaptable - they can create an entirely new human being! I'm doing well, thank you for asking, and sending you wishes for a healthy and comfortable pregnancy journey :)

It's truly remarkable, isn't it? Our bodies are incredibly resilient and adaptable - they can create an entirely new human being! I'm doing well, thank you for asking, and sending you wishes for a healthy and comfortable pregnancy journey :)
Thank you. Same goes to you too!

Reactions: cissy
I'm in awe of nature's wisdom and how efficiently everything falls into place - it's fascinating to experience the different stages. Thank you so much; your good wishes are much appreciated!

Enjoy the journey and marvel at the wonders of nature! Have a good weekend!
Enjoy your weekend too! It's been quite the exciting journey, and I'm really looking forward to the little one's arrival 😁🥳 Time to stock up on some snacks for those late-night feeding cravings!

Reactions: techsavvy
Yes, it's a very exciting time Thank you for asking - I've had my ups and downs but overall, I'm keeping well and can't wait to meet our little one 😊 Prepping has been so fun - especially shopping for all the cute new born essentials! Just holding thumbs that our nursery designs come together as planned! How's your journey going? Any names picked out yet?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu