• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Health Tips

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of expectant mothers here today discussing their various pregnancy cravings - some interesting combinations too! It seems our bodies can often crave unusual foods during this special time, and it's fascinating how these cravings can change over the course of the pregnancy. Some women experience consistent themes in their cravings throughout, while others notice shifts in flavors and textures across the trimesters.

It's wonderful that our bodies are so intuitive and seem to know exactly what nutrients they need, leading us to satisfy some peculiar cravings! It makes me wonder what unusual treats my palate might fancy during my own pregnancy someday. Are there any other expectant mothers here who've experienced particularly quirky cravings? It'd be fun to hear about them! And for the veteran moms, do you notice your cravings recurring with each pregnancy, or do they differ dramatically?

Staying healthy during pregnancy benefits both mother and baby, so it's important to focus on your physical and mental health throughout these special nine months!

Share tips on maintaining a nutritious diet, fitness routines suitable for expectant mothers, ways to reduce stress, and any other habits and practices that help keep you and your baby healthy.

What's your go-to healthy snack option when cravings strike? Any favorite stretches or yoga poses that are safe during pregnancy? How do you stay active without overdoing it? Let's share our wisdom and create a supportive community of healthy, happy, expecting parents!

My go-to snack has always been smoothie bowls - easy to prepare, nutritious and delicious! I make mine with frozen strawberries, bananas, Greek yoghurt, honey and a handful of oats for some extra fibre and crunch.

For fitness, I've found prenatal yoga to be an amazing, relaxing way to stay active throughout pregnancy. It's gentle, safe and focuses on stretching and soothing aches and pains - plus there are some poses designed to help with the labour process which is a nice bonus!

I also take long walks, especially in the evening as it helps me sleep better. I find walking upright helps take pressure off the hips and back too.

What about you? Any tasty, healthy snacks recommendations or exercise routines you swear by?

My go-to snack has always been smoothie bowls - easy to prepare, nutritious and delicious! I make mine with frozen strawberries, bananas, Greek yoghurt, honey and a handful of oats for some extra fibre and crunch.

For fitness, I've found prenatal yoga to be an amazing, relaxing way to stay active throughout pregnancy. It's gentle, safe and focuses on stretching and soothing aches and pains - plus there are some poses designed to help with the labour process which is a nice bonus!

I also take long walks, especially in the evening as it helps me sleep better. I find walking upright helps take pressure off the hips and back too.

What about you? Any tasty, healthy snacks recommendations or exercise routines you swear by?
Yoga is an excellent, gentle way to stay active during pregnancy - I agree! I also enjoyed walking, especially along the beach in the evening which was very relaxing.

I haven't had a major craving for any particular food items, but I do find myself hungry every few hours since that little tummy of mine needs constant refueling these days! So, I snack a lot on nuts, fresh fruit and smoothies - something I've continued from before my pregnancy.

An addiction of mine is mango smoothies; they're so creamy and delicious, especially with some Greek yogurt and a hint of ginger. Sometimes I'll blend in some spinach leaves too for an extra nutritional punch. It's a great way to get some fiber and iron, and the baby seems to really like them too, as he/she responds with lots of kicks!

I've also been told that avocado toast is a good pregnancy snack, which I'm certainly not complaining about - healthy fats are always a win, and it's so easy to prepare.

I'll definitely be giving your smoothie bowl a try, it sounds delicious and satisfying! It's amazing how tasty and creamy they can be, yet still nutritious.

Do you have any recommendations for keeping active beyond yoga? I've been taking it pretty chill so far, but would like to keep up some light exercise throughout.

Reactions: stargazer
Yoga is an excellent, gentle way to stay active during pregnancy - I agree! I also enjoyed walking, especially along the beach in the evening which was very relaxing.

I haven't had a major craving for any particular food items, but I do find myself hungry every few hours since that little tummy of mine needs constant refueling these days! So, I snack a lot on nuts, fresh fruit and smoothies - something I've continued from before my pregnancy.

An addiction of mine is mango smoothies; they're so creamy and delicious, especially with some Greek yogurt and a hint of ginger. Sometimes I'll blend in some spinach leaves too for an extra nutritional punch. It's a great way to get some fiber and iron, and the baby seems to really like them too, as he/she responds with lots of kicks!

I've also been told that avocado toast is a good pregnancy snack, which I'm certainly not complaining about - healthy fats are always a win, and it's so easy to prepare.

I'll definitely be giving your smoothie bowl a try, it sounds delicious and satisfying! It's amazing how tasty and creamy they can be, yet still nutritious.

Do you have any recommendations for keeping active beyond yoga? I've been taking it pretty chill so far, but would like to keep up some light exercise throughout.
I've heard good things about acupuncture and massage for helping with some of the aches and pains that come with pregnancy, though I've yet to try them myself. Some expecting mothers swear by swimming - it's a great low-impact exercise that keeps you cool and relatively comfortable!

For snacks, have you tried protein bars? There are some healthy options out there that are tasty too - a good balance of nuts, fruit and cereal helps keep the cravings at bay. I find them convenient for when I'm on-the-go as well.

Reactions: stargazer
I've heard good things about acupuncture and massage for helping with some of the aches and pains that come with pregnancy, though I've yet to try them myself. Some expecting mothers swear by swimming - it's a great low-impact exercise that keeps you cool and relatively comfortable!

For snacks, have you tried protein bars? There are some healthy options out there that are tasty too - a good balance of nuts, fruit and cereal helps keep the cravings at bay. I find them convenient for when I'm on-the-go as well.
Yes!! I'm a huge fan of swimming, although I've only gone for leisurely swims - it's such a fantastic feeling to be weightless in the water, especially as your bump grows! I hear that aqua aerobics is also a great option.

I've been meaning to try acupuncture, actually - it's supposed to help with some pregnancy discomforts and also preparation for childbirth. And I've been getting regular foot and leg massages which have been amazing - definitely helping with the aches and pains, and it's such a lovely, relaxing experience too.

I'm snacking constantly these days, it seems! I usually reach for fresh, frozen or dried fruit - so easy to grab and eat on the go, plus it satisfies my sweet tooth. Dried mangoes and apricots are a favorite of mine, and I also keep a supply of nuts and seeds in my purse for a healthy fat and protein boost.

I've been trying to watch my sugar intake too, so I don't reach for regular protein bars, but there are some great low-sugar options available which are really yummy. I had one with chocolate and cherries the other day - so good!

What fruits and flavors do you like in your smoothies? Perhaps I'll add some new combinations to my repertoire!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Yes!! I'm a huge fan of swimming, although I've only gone for leisurely swims - it's such a fantastic feeling to be weightless in the water, especially as your bump grows! I hear that aqua aerobics is also a great option.

I've been meaning to try acupuncture, actually - it's supposed to help with some pregnancy discomforts and also preparation for childbirth. And I've been getting regular foot and leg massages which have been amazing - definitely helping with the aches and pains, and it's such a lovely, relaxing experience too.

I'm snacking constantly these days, it seems! I usually reach for fresh, frozen or dried fruit - so easy to grab and eat on the go, plus it satisfies my sweet tooth. Dried mangoes and apricots are a favorite of mine, and I also keep a supply of nuts and seeds in my purse for a healthy fat and protein boost.

I've been trying to watch my sugar intake too, so I don't reach for regular protein bars, but there are some great low-sugar options available which are really yummy. I had one with chocolate and cherries the other day - so good!

What fruits and flavors do you like in your smoothies? Perhaps I'll add some new combinations to my repertoire!
I usually go for a classic banana and strawberry smoothie - sometimes I add spinach for an extra health kick! But I'll definitely keep an eye out for some of the more exotic fruits you mentioned.

Have you had any unusual cravings? I seem to want all types of food, but especially savoury snacks like potato chips and popcorn! Fortunately, there are some really good low-salt options available these days.

Savoury cravings are definitely a common theme! It's quite interesting how our bodies can suddenly want certain foods - our bodies are so clever and know what they need! I've been craving pickles lately, of all things!

It's a great idea to add spinach to your smoothie for an extra boost. Getting enough folate is so important, and leafy greens are a fantastic natural source. Folate helps with the development of the baby's neural tube, so it's an essential one! It seems like you've got some healthy and delicious cravings going on - keep listening to your body and enjoy those tasty treats!

Reactions: nature
I usually go for a classic banana and strawberry smoothie - sometimes I add spinach for an extra health kick! But I'll definitely keep an eye out for some of the more exotic fruits you mentioned.

Have you had any unusual cravings? I seem to want all types of food, but especially savoury snacks like potato chips and popcorn! Fortunately, there are some really good low-salt options available these days.
Haha yes, I hear you on the cravings front! I've been fortunate that my cravings have been fairly standard - lots of carbs and greasy food! But I do find myself wanting the occasional strange combination - like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches... which I actually wouldn't recommend!

I find frozen bananas make a great base for smoothies, and they're so cheap to buy in bulk. I slice them up and keep them in the freezer, then blend them with whatever fresh fruit I have on hand - usually strawberries or blueberries. When I want a real treat, I'll add some cocoa powder and a tiny bit of honey for a chocolate smoothie - delicious!

Have you tried adding avocado to your smoothies? It makes it so creamy and adds a boost of healthy fats for your little one. I also sometimes sneak in some spinach or kale for an extra nutritional punch.

What about some savory snack ideas? I've been enjoying making my own popcorn using a brown paper bag in the microwave - no added salt, and you can spritz it with a bit of olive oil and some herbs like rosemary for flavor. So good!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Savoury cravings are definitely a common theme! It's quite interesting how our bodies can suddenly want certain foods - our bodies are so clever and know what they need! I've been craving pickles lately, of all things!

It's a great idea to add spinach to your smoothie for an extra boost. Getting enough folate is so important, and leafy greens are a fantastic natural source. Folate helps with the development of the baby's neural tube, so it's an essential one! It seems like you've got some healthy and delicious cravings going on - keep listening to your body and enjoy those tasty treats!
Wow, that's quite an interesting craving! I've heard of pickle cravings but haven't experienced them myself. Our bodies are fascinating, and we should trust their instincts!

Enjoy your crunchy delights and the folate boosts from spinach smoothies too - delicious and nutritious! There's so much to learn about pregnancy cravings; it's a fascinating journey!

Haha yes, I hear you on the cravings front! I've been fortunate that my cravings have been fairly standard - lots of carbs and greasy food! But I do find myself wanting the occasional strange combination - like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches... which I actually wouldn't recommend!

I find frozen bananas make a great base for smoothies, and they're so cheap to buy in bulk. I slice them up and keep them in the freezer, then blend them with whatever fresh fruit I have on hand - usually strawberries or blueberries. When I want a real treat, I'll add some cocoa powder and a tiny bit of honey for a chocolate smoothie - delicious!

Have you tried adding avocado to your smoothies? It makes it so creamy and adds a boost of healthy fats for your little one. I also sometimes sneak in some spinach or kale for an extra nutritional punch.

What about some savory snack ideas? I've been enjoying making my own popcorn using a brown paper bag in the microwave - no added salt, and you can spritz it with a bit of olive oil and some herbs like rosemary for flavor. So good!
Mmm avocado makes everything so much creamier! I actually prefer frozen avocado slices straight from the freezer as a snack. It satisfies my cravings for something rich and creamy, and the coldness is especially welcome in this weather!

Savoury snacks huh.. I've been into making my own baked corn chips lately - it's a great way to use up leftover tortilla wraps. I just cut them up, sprinkle some olive oil and salt , then bake them for a few mins until crispy. Healthy and delicious!

Mmm avocado makes everything so much creamier! I actually prefer frozen avocado slices straight from the freezer as a snack. It satisfies my cravings for something rich and creamy, and the coldness is especially welcome in this weather!

Savoury snacks huh.. I've been into making my own baked corn chips lately - it's a great way to use up leftover tortilla wraps. I just cut them up, sprinkle some olive oil and salt , then bake them for a few mins until crispy. Healthy and delicious!
Oh yeah, frozen avocado is such a nice treat, especially in this warm weather! I've never tried it that way but it's a great idea - a healthy and tasty alternative to ice cream too!

Corn chips are a fantastic idea, especially with some homemade dip. I've been into making my own dips lately too - like a simple garlic yogurt dip or a spiced beetroot hummus. So good with some fresh crudites!

What other cravings do you guys have? I find myself hungry just thinking about all this food!

• Love
Reactions: koala
Oh yeah, frozen avocado is such a nice treat, especially in this warm weather! I've never tried it that way but it's a great idea - a healthy and tasty alternative to ice cream too!

Corn chips are a fantastic idea, especially with some homemade dip. I've been into making my own dips lately too - like a simple garlic yogurt dip or a spiced beetroot hummus. So good with some fresh crudites!

What other cravings do you guys have? I find myself hungry just thinking about all this food!
I've been craving sour and tangy foods, so I've been eating lots of pickled cucumbers and olives lately! I also can't get enough of cold fruity yogurts - I pack them with frozen berries for an extra kick.

But my biggest craving is for savory, crunchy snacks - like those addictive corn chips you were talking about! I could polish off a whole bag in one go.. not proud of it but hey, pregnant cravings!

I've been craving sour and tangy foods, so I've been eating lots of pickled cucumbers and olives lately! I also can't get enough of cold fruity yogurts - I pack them with frozen berries for an extra kick.

But my biggest craving is for savory, crunchy snacks - like those addictive corn chips you were talking about! I could polish off a whole bag in one go.. not proud of it but hey, pregnant cravings!
Tangy and sour foods sound so good right now! Pickled cucumbers and olives must be such a nice crunchy snack too - great suggestions!

I've been into frozen mangoes and pineapple chunks lately which satisfy my craving for something sweet and cold. For some reason, I've also been wanting lots of buttery pop corn, the kind you get at movie theatres! Can't seem to get enough of that creamy, buttery taste lately. Mm mm!

What about you guys? Any unusual flavor cravings?

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
Tangy and sour foods sound so good right now! Pickled cucumbers and olives must be such a nice crunchy snack too - great suggestions!

I've been into frozen mangoes and pineapple chunks lately which satisfy my craving for something sweet and cold. For some reason, I've also been wanting lots of buttery pop corn, the kind you get at movie theatres! Can't seem to get enough of that creamy, buttery taste lately. Mm mm!

What about you guys? Any unusual flavor cravings?
I've been craving sweet and bitter foods, which is so weird because I usually can't stand anything remotely bitter! But I've been adding raw cocoa powder into my oatmeal and smoothies. That distinctive bitter taste is so satisfying!

I've also been enjoying the occasional bite of natto, which has a strong bitter and sour flavor. I attribute this unusual craving to my pregnancy intuition - my body somehow knows it needs the extra vitamins and nutrients from these weird foods!

You could be onto something with your pregnancy intuition - perhaps your body is wise and craves the additional nutrients from these unusual sources!

It's fascinating how pregnancies can shift our tastes and cravings so dramatically. Enjoy the adventure of satisfying these strange cravings; it's part of the fun and mystery of pregnancy!

It'll be interesting to see what other unusual combinations your palate enjoys throughout this journey. Congratulations, by the way!

You could be onto something with your pregnancy intuition - perhaps your body is wise and craves the additional nutrients from these unusual sources!

It's fascinating how pregnancies can shift our tastes and cravings so dramatically. Enjoy the adventure of satisfying these strange cravings; it's part of the fun and mystery of pregnancy!

It'll be interesting to see what other unusual combinations your palate enjoys throughout this journey. Congratulations, by the way!
Thanks! Yeah, it has been interesting, to say the least. I didn't realize that my diet would change so drastically. It's like my body knows what it needs and just goes for it. Can't wait to see what other weird cravings hit me in the coming months haha.

Reactions: bananarama
Thanks! Yeah, it has been interesting, to say the least. I didn't realize that my diet would change so drastically. It's like my body knows what it needs and just goes for it. Can't wait to see what other weird cravings hit me in the coming months haha.
Hah! Your body may well be wiser than you think, leading you to satisfy some nutritional need.

Have you had any unusual cravings yet, aside from the hot dogs? It'd be interesting to hear if there's a pattern to your cravings - some pregnant women notice distinct themes in their diets.

Hah! Your body may well be wiser than you think, leading you to satisfy some nutritional need.

Have you had any unusual cravings yet, aside from the hot dogs? It'd be interesting to hear if there's a pattern to your cravings - some pregnant women notice distinct themes in their diets.
So far, it's mainly been savoury foods and a lot of carbs! I find myself craving noodles, potato chips, and rice dishes - basically anything carbo-loaded. I also go nuts for condiments - mustard, chutney, you name it! I've also been guzzling ice cold water like nobody's business, but that's probably due to the recent heatwave we've been having.

I'm curious to see if these cravings develop into something more consistent. With my first pregnancy, I craved spicy food, and toward the end, I could only eat citrusy foods - quite the opposite of what I'm experiencing now!

So far, it's mainly been savoury foods and a lot of carbs! I find myself craving noodles, potato chips, and rice dishes - basically anything carbo-loaded. I also go nuts for condiments - mustard, chutney, you name it! I've also been guzzling ice cold water like nobody's business, but that's probably due to the recent heatwave we've been having.

I'm curious to see if these cravings develop into something more consistent. With my first pregnancy, I craved spicy food, and toward the end, I could only eat citrusy foods - quite the opposite of what I'm experiencing now!
Interesting! Carbo-loading seems to be a common phenomenon during pregnancy!

Some women notice their cravings shifting throughout the pregnancy, often corresponding to Trimesters. Are you able to indulge in these foods safely, or do you find yourself having to moderation due to health conditions or preferences?

Reactions: sunnydays
Interesting! Carbo-loading seems to be a common phenomenon during pregnancy!

Some women notice their cravings shifting throughout the pregnancy, often corresponding to Trimesters. Are you able to indulge in these foods safely, or do you find yourself having to moderation due to health conditions or preferences?
For now, I luckily have no health conditions that prohibit me from indulging. But I try not to go overboard anyway - I'm wary of putting on too much weight, which can be a struggle with all the hormonal changes making me hungrier. Also, the heartburn and indigestion can get quite bad if I overindulge, so I've been trying to be mindful of that! I usually eat these treats in moderation and balance them with healthier options.

I've found myself gravitating towards healthier snacks anyway - fruits, nuts, and veggies - but I do indulge in my cravings every now and then. It's nice to have something delicious to look forward to! And luckily, my husband has been keeping the fridge stocked with my favorite treats, so I mostly just snack on those. :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu