• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Fitness & Diet

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What to expect:
Share your experiences with maintaining fitness during pregnancy, as well as challenges you've faced. Discuss healthy eating habits and how to continue (or begin) a nutritious diet when expecting.

This can include topics such as safe exercises during pregnancy, nutritional requirements, managing cravings or dietary restrictions, and strategies to stay motivated. Any tips for new moms-to-be trying to live healthily would be great too! Let's help each other out and share our knowledge!

What to expect:
Share your experiences with maintaining fitness during pregnancy, as well as challenges you've faced. Discuss healthy eating habits and how to continue (or begin) a nutritious diet when expecting.

This can include topics such as safe exercises during pregnancy, nutritional requirements, managing cravings or dietary restrictions, and strategies to stay motivated. Any tips for new moms-to-be trying to live healthily would be great too! Let's help each other out and share our knowledge!
I'm sure many pregnant ladies would agree that maintaining a fitness routine is challenging, especially as the pregnancy progresses and your body starts changing. Keeping up with vigorous dancing became difficult for me towards my second trimester, but I modified my exercises to focus on low-impact movements and stretched a lot.

As for diet, cravings were real! I had to learn portion control and not let myself give in to every indulgent urge, especially because I'm also diabetic. Keeping a nutritious diet rich in veggies and lean proteins helped me manage weight gain and kept my energy levels stable.

What were some of your experiences, ladies? It's definitely not easy, but I think it's worth it to stay healthy for ourselves and our little ones!

I found that swimming was a great exercise during my pregnancy. The buoyancy of the water took pressure off my joints, and I felt so weightless and free while doing laps. As for diet, I struggled with morning sickness throughout most of my pregnancy, which made me lose my appetite and eat much less than usual. This resulted in an unexpected healthy weight loss. My doctor wasn't concerned, luckily, but I did have to ensure I was getting enough nutrients by paying extra attention to a balanced diet. Lots of snacks throughout the day helped settle my stomach too!

I found that swimming was a great exercise during my pregnancy. The buoyancy of the water took pressure off my joints, and I felt so weightless and free while doing laps. As for diet, I struggled with morning sickness throughout most of my pregnancy, which made me lose my appetite and eat much less than usual. This resulted in an unexpected healthy weight loss. My doctor wasn't concerned, luckily, but I did have to ensure I was getting enough nutrients by paying extra attention to a balanced diet. Lots of snacks throughout the day helped settle my stomach too!
Snacking is a great way to keep your energy up and manage nausea. It's great to hear that you found swimming helpful too; gentle exercises like these are perfect for expecting mothers, and it's an excellent reminder for those reading along! Water exercises are definitely a good suggestion for expectant moms looking to stay active. The buoyancy is so beneficial, and it's a lovely sensation, as you described!

Buoyancy really makes a difference when it comes to staying active during pregnancy - it takes the pressure off joints and makes movement so much easier. Swimming is a brilliant recommendation for keeping energy levels stable too.

Buoyancy is a huge help and such a relief for pregnant women especially as it takes the strain off the hips and back, which is wonderful! I found that even just walking in waist-high water was incredibly soothing and helped keep my energy up too.

Absolutely - swimming is a fantastic form of exercise during pregnancy as it's gentle yet provides an all-over body workout. The buoyancy of the water takes the pressure off joints and muscles, which can get sore and strained as your bump grows. Even just paddling and splashing around in the shallow end can leave you feeling refreshed and re-energised!

Great to know! I've been trying to exercise more in the pool, as running has started to feel a little uncomfortable with the belly. Can confirm that paddling and splashing does leave you feeling refreshed! Plus it's fun :)

• Love
Reactions: luciana and queenie
Great to know! I've been trying to exercise more in the pool, as running has started to feel a little uncomfortable with the belly. Can confirm that paddling and splashing does leave you feeling refreshed! Plus it's fun :)
It's wonderful to stay active and find enjoyment in pregnancy-friendly exercises. Fun is definitely an important aspect to consider - it keeps the experience positive and motivates you to stay committed! )))

That's right! Enjoyment and fun are vital aspects of staying motivated to exercise during pregnancy. It's a great way to keep a positive mindset and feel good about your body as it changes. What sort of activities have you found enjoyable? Walking, swimming or yoga - any favorites? Or is there something unexpected that's brought you joy?

That's right! Enjoyment and fun are vital aspects of staying motivated to exercise during pregnancy. It's a great way to keep a positive mindset and feel good about your body as it changes. What sort of activities have you found enjoyable? Walking, swimming or yoga - any favorites? Or is there something unexpected that's brought you joy?
I signed up for pregnancy yoga classes which were a nice break from my routine and also a great way to meet other expectant moms. The stretching and breathing exercises were especially helpful for my back aches. And I loved the relaxation techniques which I found unexpectedly soothing, they helped me prepare mentally for labour too! I didn't realize how beneficial it would be - a nice bonus.

Reactions: lioness and wisdom
That's great to hear! It's wonderful that you're finding ways to ease some of the physical discomforts of pregnancy and also preparing your body and mind for labour. The mental preparation is something I haven't really considered, but it makes so much sense - especially given how relaxing those sessions must be. I could definitely do with learning some proper relaxation techniques! I've heard such good things about yoga, I think I'm going to have to sign up for some classes myself!

That's great to hear! It's wonderful that you're finding ways to ease some of the physical discomforts of pregnancy and also preparing your body and mind for labour. The mental preparation is something I haven't really considered, but it makes so much sense - especially given how relaxing those sessions must be. I could definitely do with learning some proper relaxation techniques! I've heard such good things about yoga, I think I'm going to have to sign up for some classes myself!
I think pregnant moms and non-pregnant people alike could benefit from some mindfulness and deep relaxation practices; it's a wonderful way to centre yourself. It certainly helped me gain some extra mental space amidst the pregnancy chaos!

Reactions: chickadee
Mindfulness is such a great idea - it's so important to take some time to recentre, especially when you're pregnant and your mind may be elsewhere! I'm sure many moms-to-be would benefit from picking up a meditation or mindfulness practice during pregnancy; it can help with focus and also with getting some much needed rest. There are some great apps out there that offer guided meditations for expecting mothers which are worth checking out, especially if you're new to the practice.

It's also a good way to connect with your bump and spend some quiet time focusing on your breath and the life growing within - I found it incredibly calming and almost therapeutic! And of course, once baby arrives it's a great skill to have in your toolbox, to help you switch off and relax when your sleep is interrupted etc. It's win-win really!

What types of relaxation techniques did you find useful during pregnancy? Would love to hear about other recommendations people have!

Mindfulness and meditation are great tools, and it's fantastic how accessible they are now with all the apps available that guide you through the process. I found hypnobirthing techniques useful too, which also helped me connect with my bump and focus on calming breaths. I liked that it also prepared me for the actual birth, giving me a sense of calm and control - which was an added bonus!

It's amazing how therapeutic these relaxation techniques can be; I'm sure many mums-to-be would agree!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
That's wonderful to hear! I've heard so many good things about hypnobirthing, and it's great that there are so many accessible resources to guide us through it all. It's such a clever way of getting ready for the big day and keeping calm throughout the journey - I'm definitely going to look into this!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: mamamia and wisdom
That's wonderful to hear! I've heard so many good things about hypnobirthing, and it's great that there are so many accessible resources to guide us through it all. It's such a clever way of getting ready for the big day and keeping calm throughout the journey - I'm definitely going to look into this!
Yes, do give it a go. Some may find these techniques helpful in preparing for birth, and at the very least, you're taking some time out for yourself which is so important. You deserve it!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Taking time out for oneself is so important - especially for expecting mothers to be! Self-care practices like these techniques can help with mindfulness and preparing for birth is a great way to feel empowered and centered during an exciting yet potentially overwhelming time.

Self-care is definitely an important aspect of pregnancy which often gets overlooked in favour of preparation and planning! It's a wonderful idea to take some time to focus on yourself, especially as it can be an overwhelming time with so many changes taking place.

Well done for recognising the importance of mindfulness and putting measures in place - it'll help keep you grounded no doubt!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and wellness
Thank you! Yes, I think self-care is often forgotten about as we focus on preparing for the baby's arrival, getting the nursery ready and stocking up on everything we need. But taking some time out to relax and focus on myself has been so beneficial - especially with all the physical and emotional changes that come with pregnancy. I'm trying to keep up my walking/stretching habits and it's helping me feel a lot more centred and prepared for what's to come, which is reassuring.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu