• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Training Strategies

Some babies take longer than others to get ready for potty training so don't stress if your little one isn't showing signs at 2 years old! We've got loads of time.

But some telltale signs to look out for include increased interest in toilet activities and the ability to follow simple instructions. Also, if your child is more independent and can pull their pants up and down, that's a good indicator!

My strategy was to embrace accidents as part of the learning process - it's daunting for the little ones too, getting used to controlling their bladder and bowel movements. So I didn't scold or make a big fuss when my kid had an accident, just reminded him what to do the next time. Then again, this method may not work for everyone; it's just easier and more laidback than a structured potty-training approach, which can also work well!

Reactions: luciana
Some babies take longer than others to get ready for potty training so don't stress if your little one isn't showing signs at 2 years old! We've got loads of time.

But some telltale signs to look out for include increased interest in toilet activities and the ability to follow simple instructions. Also, if your child is more independent and can pull their pants up and down, that's a good indicator!

My strategy was to embrace accidents as part of the learning process - it's daunting for the little ones too, getting used to controlling their bladder and bowel movements. So I didn't scold or make a big fuss when my kid had an accident, just reminded him what to do the next time. Then again, this method may not work for everyone; it's just easier and more laidback than a structured potty-training approach, which can also work well!
Some mummies also talk about how their babies start showing interest in using the actual toilet like the adults do, and that's a great sign too! Seems like having a special kid-sized toilet seat or a potty chair can help with that transition. You know, to make them feel like they're using the toilet like a big kid!

It's all about observing those subtle cues and providing lots of encouragement, which helps build their confidence. We've got this, everyone!

Some mummies also talk about how their babies start showing interest in using the actual toilet like the adults do, and that's a great sign too! Seems like having a special kid-sized toilet seat or a potty chair can help with that transition. You know, to make them feel like they're using the toilet like a big kid!

It's all about observing those subtle cues and providing lots of encouragement, which helps build their confidence. We've got this, everyone!
There are so many potty-training products available these days! A special kid-sized toilet seat can really help with the transition, as you say - a fun and rewarding way for them to feel like they're accomplishing something adult-like, haha! I didn't use a potty chair because my toddler was afraid he'd fall into the big toilet bowl, so it definitely helps to give our kids that sense of security.

And you're right - each kiddo has their own cues and signs, and it's up to us mummies to observe and respond to them. It can be exhausting, but we're doing our best!

There are so many potty-training products available these days! A special kid-sized toilet seat can really help with the transition, as you say - a fun and rewarding way for them to feel like they're accomplishing something adult-like, haha! I didn't use a potty chair because my toddler was afraid he'd fall into the big toilet bowl, so it definitely helps to give our kids that sense of security.

And you're right - each kiddo has their own cues and signs, and it's up to us mummies to observe and respond to them. It can be exhausting, but we're doing our best!
Yes, the fear of falling into the toilet is real! Potty chairs or those adorable training seats with built-in handles do help give them some sense of security. Some kids also love flushing the toilet themselves, which is why I keep toilet paper within their reach. It's these little things that make them feel independent and proud!

Yes, the fear of falling into the toilet is real! Potty chairs or those adorable training seats with built-in handles do help give them some sense of security. Some kids also love flushing the toilet themselves, which is why I keep toilet paper within their reach. It's these little things that make them feel independent and proud!
It's definitely a boost to their confidence when they get to flush and wash their hands all by themselves! And you're right - making potty training fun with catchy songs and cute rewards can really help too. Stickers or a simple chart might be enough for some, while others might need something more exciting. My older one was motivated by books - he got to pick a new story every time he successfully used the toilet!

It's great when they're involved and engaged in the process, isn't it?

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It's definitely a boost to their confidence when they get to flush and wash their hands all by themselves! And you're right - making potty training fun with catchy songs and cute rewards can really help too. Stickers or a simple chart might be enough for some, while others might need something more exciting. My older one was motivated by books - he got to pick a new story every time he successfully used the toilet!

It's great when they're involved and engaged in the process, isn't it?
Oh yes, anything with a little flushing and splashing action keeps their interest and makes things less daunting. And you've hit the nail on the head - it's all about engagement and making them feel involved, giving them that sense of accomplishment.

It's heartening to see them grow up and develop some independence! It's a tricky phase, but cute rewards and fun routines can make this whole potty training business less of a hassle.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Oh yes, anything with a little flushing and splashing action keeps their interest and makes things less daunting. And you've hit the nail on the head - it's all about engagement and making them feel involved, giving them that sense of accomplishment.

It's heartening to see them grow up and develop some independence! It's a tricky phase, but cute rewards and fun routines can make this whole potty training business less of a hassle.
Yes, flushing and splashing sure are exciting for the little ones! There's a sense of wonder and achievement when they accomplish something all on their own.

rewards and all, it's still a challenging phase that takes time and patience. But you're right - it's a great feeling to see them grow into little independent beings!

Yes, flushing and splashing sure are exciting for the little ones! There's a sense of wonder and achievement when they accomplish something all on their own.

rewards and all, it's still a challenging phase that takes time and patience. But you're right - it's a great feeling to see them grow into little independent beings!
The flush and splash definitely adds a bit of magic and mystery to the whole toilet experience which can otherwise be pretty mundane for young children. And you're so right about taking the time and patience - it's a testing period, but we parents have got this!

Do you have any other tactics up your sleeve to share? The more ideas the merrier!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
The flush and splash definitely adds a bit of magic and mystery to the whole toilet experience which can otherwise be pretty mundane for young children. And you're so right about taking the time and patience - it's a testing period, but we parents have got this!

Do you have any other tactics up your sleeve to share? The more ideas the merrier!
Haha, I hear ya! Having a arsenal of tactics helps, as every kid is different and responds differently to strategies.

For my older one, who's super inquisitive and science-minded, we turned it into a little experiment. We talked about all the gross things flushing does - like sending away all the bad germs and bacteria. We even made a little chart, celebrating each flush with a sticker because "We're sending bad germs down the drain!" That encouraged him to be more interested in his potty-training.

For the younger one, who's very enthusiastic about rewards but also scared of getting it wrong, we played the "Potty Olympics." For every successful flush, he got to do a little victory dance and pick his favorite snack as a reward - it had to be healthy, of course! That gave him the encouragement and confidence to keep trying.

Different strokes for different folks! Besides, anything that makes parenting more fun and creative is always welcome.

Agree that each child is different and we gotta observe the cues; what works for one might not work for another! My strategy was to make it a fun activity - create a little game with lots of praise and rewards , and also got him involved in preparing his "big boy" potty seat. Took my cue from him holding his pee when he didn't want to stop playing, or asking for privacy when nature called - those were the signs that he was ready! Keep it lighthearted, and good luck to all mums and dads out there; it's a challenge but you'll get through it!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and mamamia
Agree that each child is different and we gotta observe the cues; what works for one might not work for another! My strategy was to make it a fun activity - create a little game with lots of praise and rewards , and also got him involved in preparing his "big boy" potty seat. Took my cue from him holding his pee when he didn't want to stop playing, or asking for privacy when nature called - those were the signs that he was ready! Keep it lighthearted, and good luck to all mums and dads out there; it's a challenge but you'll get through it!
Agree that making it a fun activity gets the little one onboard with the whole process. Potty seats help, as do accessible toilets when out and about. Rewards and stickers work well to keep up the motivation levels too!

Each child has their own timeline - some take longer than others to get the potty training down pat, so no need to rush or compare!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Agree that making it a fun activity gets the little one onboard with the whole process. Potty seats help, as do accessible toilets when out and about. Rewards and stickers work well to keep up the motivation levels too!

Each child has their own timeline - some take longer than others to get the potty training down pat, so no need to rush or compare!
Absolutely! We don't want our kids to develop any complexes or feel pressured, it's a learning process and they'll get there eventually. All the best, parents!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu