• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Training Strategies

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Most mums agree that consistent encouragement and positive reinforcement are vital for successful potty training. Celebrate the small wins and offer lots of cuddles and praise! Catching your child's cues is also key, and being able to communicate their needs clearly makes a big difference. Keep the mood light and upbeat, as it can be a tricky skill to learn - accidents will happen, so don't discourage them; they're all part of the learning process!

Many mums find sticker charts motivating for their toddlers, and having accessible toilets or a special potty chair with their favorite character can help build confidence. Others recommend embracing accidents and not making a big fuss about them but instead remind your child what to do next time.

Each child has unique cues and signs when they're ready for potty training, so observe them closely and respond to their individual needs. It's a trying yet rewarding phase, so stay relaxed, patient, and offer lots of support!

Hi everyone, this forum is dedicated to discussing all things potty training! Share your questions, strategies, successes and challenges here.

To get the conversation going, what are some of your top tips for starting the potty training journey? How do you know when your little one is ready? Share your experiences below!

One strategy is to look out for the signals that your child is physically ready: can they walk and talk, are their nappers mostly dry during the day, do they have periods of regular bowel movements?

If so, it's a good idea to begin! This was the case for my older one - we started potty training as she met all those criteria, and within a few days of consistent effort, she got the hang of it. She loved the independence and pride of achieving something new, which kept her motivated.

The key for us was to start slow, have lots of patience, and be consistent. We had some accidents along the way but kept at it - bare minimum distractions helped! Also, having a consistent routine with regular attempts to sit on the potty really paid off.

Good luck to all you parents embarking on this journey; it's definitely an exciting milestone!

For us, it was helpful to have a potty seat that could fit onto our regular toilet seat. It made the concept more real and familiar and helped ease my tot into using the big toilet eventually. Also, having a reward system with stickers worked like a charm! Each time they earn a certain number of stickers, we'd celebrate with a small treat - that was a great incentive for my little one.

For sure, it's a mix of timing, patience and lots of encouragement!

When the little one starts showing signs of being ready - like staying dry for longer periods, developing regular bowel movements, and having the physical ability to walk and climb - that's a good time to begin. We also got our toddler an potty seat which made it fun and less daunting.

There will be accidents along the way but that's all part of the journey! Consistency and positivity go a long way too.

Reactions: happyfeet
For sure, it's a mix of timing, patience and lots of encouragement!

When the little one starts showing signs of being ready - like staying dry for longer periods, developing regular bowel movements, and having the physical ability to walk and climb - that's a good time to begin. We also got our toddler an potty seat which made it fun and less daunting.

There will be accidents along the way but that's all part of the journey! Consistency and positivity go a long way too.
Ah, good to know! Agree that timing and encouragement are key. Also, having a special potty seat helps to make the whole process less scary and more fun!

Accidents are bound to happen but staying consistent and keeping a positive attitude throughout the journey is so important!

Ah, good to know! Agree that timing and encouragement are key. Also, having a special potty seat helps to make the whole process less scary and more fun!

Accidents are bound to happen but staying consistent and keeping a positive attitude throughout the journey is so important!
Yep! Creating an enjoyable routine with rewards - like a chart or small treats - can help too! It keeps things exciting and motivating for our little ones.

Not sure if you're at this stage yet, but public potty training was an adventure too! Finding accessible family-friendly toilets and keeping sanitization wipes handy helped our confidence when we ventured out.

Yep! Creating an enjoyable routine with rewards - like a chart or small treats - can help too! It keeps things exciting and motivating for our little ones.

Not sure if you're at this stage yet, but public potty training was an adventure too! Finding accessible family-friendly toilets and keeping sanitization wipes handy helped our confidence when we ventured out.
Yes!! Charts and rewards - the good old sticker chart strategy works like magic during these training times! ;) And yes, having accessible public toilets definitely helps to reduce anxiety when stepping out with a young toddler!

For my older one, we had to work on actual flushable toilets right from the start, which was a challenge but we made it fun with special 'big boy' undies!

So difficult to know when is the right time ah! My kiddo was very ready at 2 years old but then again, my friend's kid only showed interest at 3 plus. I think the key thing is they have to be physically and mentally ready hor. Physically means their bladder control is getting better and mentally means they're curious and motivated to use the toilet like a big kid!

My strategy was to keep a super close eye on fluid intake and output, haha! Try to ensure consistency in drinking habits - not too much fluids at night, for example - and then prompt during the day every 1.5 hours or so . Also used a sticker chart which worked surprisingly well... Kids love their rewards! And of course lots of praise and encouragement when accidents happen because they're bound to happen sia. Don't want to scare them by being too strict or anything.

Good luck to all the parents out there! It's quite a ride but you'll get there eventually!

Some toddlers show signs of being ready around 2 years old - they have the ability to follow simple instructions and have some level of physical independence, like walking and climbing stairs. For us, the biggest sign was his interest and keen observation skills. He would notice everything, including bathroom habits! We also took cues from his increased ability to communicate and understand more complex directions.

We started with a small potty chair and lots of encouragement. Naked time is crucial because it gives them the freedom to move without the hassle of accidentally peeing on clothes they can't take off yet. It's also hilarious when they waddle around like tiny penguins! Accidental accidents happen, so don't be too discouraged - it's all part of the process.

Consistent encouragement and positive reinforcement go a long way! Celebrate every success, no matter how small, and give lots of cuddles and praise for their efforts. It's a tricky skill to master, but most kids eventually get there with patience and practice.

Reactions: techsavvy
Some toddlers show signs of being ready around 2 years old - they have the ability to follow simple instructions and have some level of physical independence, like walking and climbing stairs. For us, the biggest sign was his interest and keen observation skills. He would notice everything, including bathroom habits! We also took cues from his increased ability to communicate and understand more complex directions.

We started with a small potty chair and lots of encouragement. Naked time is crucial because it gives them the freedom to move without the hassle of accidentally peeing on clothes they can't take off yet. It's also hilarious when they waddle around like tiny penguins! Accidental accidents happen, so don't be too discouraged - it's all part of the process.

Consistent encouragement and positive reinforcement go a long way! Celebrate every success, no matter how small, and give lots of cuddles and praise for their efforts. It's a tricky skill to master, but most kids eventually get there with patience and practice.

The key to potty training success is definitely consistent encouragement. Celebrate the small wins - don't discourage accidents because they're bound to happen and are part of the learning process! Naked time is a great idea to begin with, it's so much easier for them to realize what's happening when there's no clothing barrier and it's pretty adorable too!

For us, it was all about timing and catching the cues. Once we noticed our tot was super interested in bathroom habits and could follow simple commands, we knew he was almost ready. We also made sure he could communicate his needs a little better, that helped a lot.

Positive reinforcement worked wonders - lots of praise and high fives every time he made it to the potty! It's definitely a tricky skill to learn but with patience, most kids get there eventually!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
The key to potty training success is definitely consistent encouragement. Celebrate the small wins - don't discourage accidents because they're bound to happen and are part of the learning process! Naked time is a great idea to begin with, it's so much easier for them to realize what's happening when there's no clothing barrier and it's pretty adorable too!

For us, it was all about timing and catching the cues. Once we noticed our tot was super interested in bathroom habits and could follow simple commands, we knew he was almost ready. We also made sure he could communicate his needs a little better, that helped a lot.

Positive reinforcement worked wonders - lots of praise and high fives every time he made it to the potty! It's definitely a tricky skill to learn but with patience, most kids get there eventually!
I couldn't agree more! You've outlined the process really well! Potty training is such a milestone, and it's essential to keep the mood light and positive during this period as children learn this new skill. It's certainly a process of trial and error and lots of patience!

Catching those cues is half the battle won, isn't it? Being able to communicate really helps, especially when they can verbalize their needs and understand directions. It makes everything so much easier and reduces the number of accidents!

High fives and praise go a long way in boosting their confidence! Celebrating the wins, no matter how small, creates such positive associations with potty training. Accidents are going to happen, but as long as it's not discouraged, tot will stay enthusiastic!

I couldn't agree more! You've outlined the process really well! Potty training is such a milestone, and it's essential to keep the mood light and positive during this period as children learn this new skill. It's certainly a process of trial and error and lots of patience!

Catching those cues is half the battle won, isn't it? Being able to communicate really helps, especially when they can verbalize their needs and understand directions. It makes everything so much easier and reduces the number of accidents!

High fives and praise go a long way in boosting their confidence! Celebrating the wins, no matter how small, creates such positive associations with potty training. Accidents are going to happen, but as long as it's not discouraged, tot will stay enthusiastic!
Yes, you're right! Keeping the atmosphere light-hearted and upbeat during potty training definitely makes it a more pleasant experience for everyone. It's great to hear that your child is making excellent progress with communicating their needs; that's a huge part of the battle won!

It's also encouraging to know that others share similar experiences and strategies - it's all about trying and learning along the way. We moms do our best, and eventually, they'll get there!

Yes, you're right! Keeping the atmosphere light-hearted and upbeat during potty training definitely makes it a more pleasant experience for everyone. It's great to hear that your child is making excellent progress with communicating their needs; that's a huge part of the battle won!

It's also encouraging to know that others share similar experiences and strategies - it's all about trying and learning along the way. We moms do our best, and eventually, they'll get there!
It's a tough but rewarding phase, for sure! Every child is different, so even with the same strategies, each journey is unique. That's why it's so reassuring to hear other mums' experiences and learn from them! It helps us realize we're not alone in our challenges. High five to all the mums out there doing their best!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Yup, let's dive straight into it!

For me, the key to potty training is observing baby's cues. Some mummies say babies tend to hide or crawl away when they feel the urge to poop. So, being aware of their strange behaviours can be a sign to quickly whisk them to the potty chair!

Also, I think consistency and patience are vital. It takes time for our little ones to get the hang of it, so having a consistent routine and a good eye for their cues helps lots!

Reactions: joyful
Oh yes, I agree! The sticker chart method is super effective - we did that for my girl and it motivated her so much! Also agreeing with you on having accessible toilets - such a confidence booster for them to be able to go undies-down, flush and wash hands independently!

A special potty seat with their favorite cartoon character helped my tot feel more comfortable and secure too. And I think it's so true about maintaining a positive attitude because toddlers pick up on our cues. If we're calm and encouraging, they'll be more at ease too!

Reactions: bookworm
Oh yes, I agree! The sticker chart method is super effective - we did that for my girl and it motivated her so much! Also agreeing with you on having accessible toilets - such a confidence booster for them to be able to go undies-down, flush and wash hands independently!

A special potty seat with their favorite cartoon character helped my tot feel more comfortable and secure too. And I think it's so true about maintaining a positive attitude because toddlers pick up on our cues. If we're calm and encouraging, they'll be more at ease too!
I feel sticker charts are a great idea! My child loved the whole process because we made it into a game - and of course the stickers were super motivating. Also agree that having a special potty seat helps, especially one designed for their tiny tootsies! It all contributes to making them feel confident and independent.

Keep the good ideas flowing, mummies!

• Love
Reactions: koala and luciana
I feel sticker charts are a great idea! My child loved the whole process because we made it into a game - and of course the stickers were super motivating. Also agree that having a special potty seat helps, especially one designed for their tiny tootsies! It all contributes to making them feel confident and independent.

Keep the good ideas flowing, mummies!
For sure, it's amazing how a fun design or character can make potty training so much more exciting! It's great that your little one enjoyed the process - definitely a win when they're engaged and having fun!

For sure, it's amazing how a fun design or character can make potty training so much more exciting! It's great that your little one enjoyed the process - definitely a win when they're engaged and having fun!
Yes, definitely! My older one loved the independence and the sense of achievement from mastering this new skill. And it's true what they say, when momma's relaxed and not stressed, it makes for a better training experience! haha.

• Love
Reactions: koala and cissy
Yes, definitely! My older one loved the independence and the sense of achievement from mastering this new skill. And it's true what they say, when momma's relaxed and not stressed, it makes for a better training experience! haha.
A reward chart with their favourite cartoon character sticker might just do the trick to keep the excitement going!

A reward chart with their favourite cartoon character sticker might just do the trick to keep the excitement going!
Yes, I find that using rewards is a great way to motivate kids to stay focused and excited about potty training. Stickers, stars or smiley faces can be a simple yet effective way to create a positive association with potty training. Why not add some variety by using different themed stickers to keep the excitement level high? We can also involve them in designing their very own reward chart!

Reactions: sunnybunny

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu