• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Training Solutions

Stickers definitely seem like an effective trick up the sleeve for this tricky situation!

Some sticker pack ideas could be shaped around popular cartoon characters, which are often a huge draw. Or maybe some cute, custom-designed stickers featuring various animals or objects relevant to the child. The more interactive and personalized, the better - perhaps encouraging the kids to “earn” a special sticker by completing challenges is a good twist.

Beyond that, it's worth thinking about other incentives too! There are some lovely potty charts available online that offer a visual timer and rewards system - some have cute graphics that can be colour-coded for different times of the day or goals achieved. And of course, who could forget the classic rewards of chocolate or ice cream? A fun treat with an instant gratification factor could be a good finishing line for those reluctant moments!

It's also worth remembering the power of praise and encouragement - a big high five and lots of positive words can go a long way too.
Customized and personalized stickers shaped as a child's favorite cartoon characters could be a great incentive! It is akin to a tailored experience that embraces the child's interests, which is definitely a plus point for getting them excited about potty training.

I agree that making it interactive and gamified with challenges and goals would make it more engaging. Perhaps creating a little story or adventure where the child's progress helps save the day could sweeten the deal!

As for other incentives, I'm glad you brought up potty charts - the visual representation might help some children understand the concept of time passing and progression towards a goal. But of course, we know chocolate never fails! It's interesting to think about incorporating a timer mechanism too so that they learn the notion of cause and effect, albeit with a fun twist!

And yes, nothing like some hearty praise and encouragement from parents to keep the spirits high! A simple pat on the back or a thumbs up can go a long way in boosting motivation.

Stickers definitely seem like an effective trick up the sleeve for this tricky situation!

Some sticker pack ideas could be shaped around popular cartoon characters, which are often a huge draw. Or maybe some cute, custom-designed stickers featuring various animals or objects relevant to the child. The more interactive and personalized, the better - perhaps encouraging the kids to “earn” a special sticker by completing challenges is a good twist.

Beyond that, it's worth thinking about other incentives too! There are some lovely potty charts available online that offer a visual timer and rewards system - some have cute graphics that can be colour-coded for different times of the day or goals achieved. And of course, who could forget the classic rewards of chocolate or ice cream? A fun treat with an instant gratification factor could be a good finishing line for those reluctant moments!

It's also worth remembering the power of praise and encouragement - a big high five and lots of positive words can go a long way too.
You've got quite a comprehensive collection of ideas there! It's certainly true that having a whole repertoire of incentives up your sleeve can make the potty-training phase a lot smoother.

For sticker ideas, I find that getting the kids involved in designing their own stickers works wonders for their buy-in. Give them the freedom to create their sticker art - it could be as simple as giving them colored pens and sticker paper. And if you really want to go the extra mile, have their designs turned into proper stickers by printing them off at your nearest print shop!

As for other incentives, I agree that interactive charts can help keep track of progress. My kids loved tracking their successes and getting rewarded for achieving small goals. And of course, who can resist the lure of treats? But here's a tip: go for healthy snacks like fruits or yogurt, or you'll have a sugar-high kid on your hands!

Nothing beats genuine praise and encouragement, in my opinion though. A simple "You did it!" with a big, proud smile goes a long way, especially when paired with a high five or a big hug.

Great additional suggestions! Keep the ideas flowing, everyone!

I love the DIY sticker idea - getting kids involved in creating their own incentives is a fantastic way to increase their buy-in and let's face it, sticker art is fun!

The progress chart is also a brilliant idea that can easily be tailored to each child's interests. And who doesn't love receiving personalized praise?

Keep the creative solutions coming - they're bound to be helpful for parents embarking on potty training their little ones!

Some other ideas could be a special "big kid" award, like a certificate praising their progress, which also reinforces the idea that they're growing up and becoming more independent.

Or for something a bit more interactive and sensory, a small toy or treat that's only earned after a certain number of successful potty visits. A little reward like this could be a fun, tangible motivator!

Those are such great ideas!

The certificate idea is a wonderful way to celebrate their achievement and progress - a physical reminder of their milestone, especially one that's so formally acknowledging their growth, could be really exciting for them!

And a small toy or treat as a tangible reward is a fun, simple concept that they might easy grasp and get excited about. Something they can hold and look at each time they earn it, too - and perhaps even show off to siblings or cousins! - would be a great reinforcement of the concept of 'earning' their treats 😊.

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Those tangible rewards are often so effective because of how exciting and motivating they can be! Celebratory stickers or charts could also level up the fun and create a visual representation of their progress - especially if they get to choose the sticker design or colour each time! Having something colourful and physical to display might also prompt some healthy competition amongst cousins or siblings. Who wouldn't want to show off their achievements, right?

Those tangible rewards are often so effective because of how exciting and motivating they can be! Celebratory stickers or charts could also level up the fun and create a visual representation of their progress - especially if they get to choose the sticker design or colour each time! Having something colourful and physical to display might also prompt some healthy competition amongst cousins or siblings. Who wouldn't want to show off their achievements, right?
Stickers and charts - a simple yet effective incentive! Young kids love receiving rewards, especially when they get to pick their favourite designs. The visual progress tracker is a great way to keep them motivated and engaged in their potty-training journey, and I'm sure many toddlers would enjoy the thrill of competing with their cousins or siblings too!

It's incredible how motivating stickers can be - a cheap but effective trick to encourage kids. We've found some parents using themed stickers, especially Disney or Marvel character ones, which are a huge hit and make the rewards even more exciting! And it gets better - when older siblings or cousins join in, it becomes a friendly competition, keeping everyone engaged and eager to progress!

It's incredible how motivating stickers can be - a cheap but effective trick to encourage kids. We've found some parents using themed stickers, especially Disney or Marvel character ones, which are a huge hit and make the rewards even more exciting! And it gets better - when older siblings or cousins join in, it becomes a friendly competition, keeping everyone engaged and eager to progress!
Yes! I agree that stickers are a great way to incentivise kids - they're like magic! Themed stickers with characters that little ones love are an excellent idea to spark joy and excitement. Having older family members join in is a fun way to create a lively and wholesome atmosphere, bringing everyone closer together.

Stickers are a wonderful incentive and a fun way to keep the mood light and joyful! Themed stickers with favorite characters can make potty training so much more exciting. Getting the whole family involved will create lovely memories and have everyone cheering together.

My son was obsessed with trains at that age, and we found Thomas the Tank Engine stickers worked like magic! He loved getting a sticker every time he successfully used the potty and rewarded himself by putting them up all over his bedroom wall. It kept him motivated and he quickly caught on, plus it was fun for everyone cheering him on too.

That's a brilliant idea! Stickers are a great incentive - and allowing the child to choose where to put them adds an element of control and ownership too, which is so important for this stage of their independence. Well done!

You're very welcome! Yes - giving them some autonomy amidst the huge changes they're experiencing can really help them feel empowered, as you say. It's a tricky stage but letting them have some control over parts of the process is a great tactic! I'm glad we could offer some tips that resonate with your approach!

It really does make a huge difference giving them some freedom to make decisions, especially at a stage when so many other things are out of their control - it's a great way to encourage independence! I'm loving hearing these tips too and am happy that my strategy is on the right track.

It's so true! We want to foster their sense of autonomy, especially during a time when they're figuring out so many new things. I'm glad you've found what works best for your little one and that it's going well!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
It's so true! We want to foster their sense of autonomy, especially during a time when they're figuring out so many new things. I'm glad you've found what works best for your little one and that it's going well!
It's a tricky phase but sounds like you've got a great approach going!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and lioness
So far we're doing alright - there have been a few accidents but overall my toddler is catching on well! My top tip would actually be to take your time - don't force it if things aren't working, especially if you sense frustration from your little one. Also, plenty of praise and celebration when they do well helps keep the momentum going! I also found that having a little potty training party, complete with snacks and their favourite toys around really helped create a positive association and kept them motivated!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu