• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Training Solutions

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm so glad you've joined me here today – I want us to brainstorm solutions for all your potty training problems!

Let's start by acknowledging how frustrating and exhausting the potty-training process can be. Whether you're tackling this as a first-time parent or navigating it again with a stubborn second child, we're here to offer our collective wisdom and insights. Share your challenges and let's brainstorm some creative strategies tailored to your situations!

Feel free to share your experiences, tips, and insights, because together, we'll find the potty training solutions that work!

First of all, let's accept that it's totally normal to feel overwhelmed and exhausted with the very idea of potty training! The prospect of it can be daunting for any parent, especially given how every child is different and there's no one-size-fits-all approach.

So, what are some of the challenges you're facing or anticipate as you think about starting this process? We can brainstorm together and come up with a few tailored strategies you can try!

For instance, have you considered the incentives method? Sometimes, making potty training into a fun, rewarding experience can help motivate your little one. Stickers, praise, or even small treats can be great incentives!

Or, what about making it a fun game? There are some fantastic potty-training apps and books that offer guidance on turning those accidents into "oopsie" adventure stories! You could also create a chart together that they can decorate and add stickers to every time they make progress. This might help them feel more engaged and enthusiastic about the process.

If you're already in the thick of it, what's working well so far, and where are the difficulties arising? Are we talking about issues with consistency, accidents at night, or something else entirely? The more specific details you can give us, the better we can tailor our suggestions!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
First of all, let's accept that it's totally normal to feel overwhelmed and exhausted with the very idea of potty training! The prospect of it can be daunting for any parent, especially given how every child is different and there's no one-size-fits-all approach.

So, what are some of the challenges you're facing or anticipate as you think about starting this process? We can brainstorm together and come up with a few tailored strategies you can try!

For instance, have you considered the incentives method? Sometimes, making potty training into a fun, rewarding experience can help motivate your little one. Stickers, praise, or even small treats can be great incentives!

Or, what about making it a fun game? There are some fantastic potty-training apps and books that offer guidance on turning those accidents into "oopsie" adventure stories! You could also create a chart together that they can decorate and add stickers to every time they make progress. This might help them feel more engaged and enthusiastic about the process.

If you're already in the thick of it, what's working well so far, and where are the difficulties arising? Are we talking about issues with consistency, accidents at night, or something else entirely? The more specific details you can give us, the better we can tailor our suggestions!
The challenges I foresee are persistence, consistency, and having enough patience, especially when dealing with setbacks. It's encouraging to know that there are fun ways like games and sticker charts to keep my toddler motivated.

We haven't started potty training just yet, so I'm glad to hear about these strategies and mentally preparing myself for the journey ahead! How have others found the incentives method--is it a successful strategy?

The challenges I foresee are persistence, consistency, and having enough patience, especially when dealing with setbacks. It's encouraging to know that there are fun ways like games and sticker charts to keep my toddler motivated.

We haven't started potty training just yet, so I'm glad to hear about these strategies and mentally preparing myself for the journey ahead! How have others found the incentives method--is it a successful strategy?
Some parents find that incentivising their toddlers with rewards like stickers or treats can be an effective strategy for potty training. The toddler's sense of accomplishment, combined with external rewards, can reinforce the behavior. However, some kids might forget about their rewards or get desensitized to them over time. It's also essential to ensure that you don't end up bribing your child for basic hygiene practices!

That's a great point about not wanting to bribe children for basic hygiene practices; that's definitely a delicate balance!

Using a points-based system could be a good compromise, where the child can work towards a reward but also understand the importance of the behaviour. This way, it feels more like an earned accomplishment rather than a bribe. The challenge is finding the right incentive that motivates your child without becoming mundane.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and koala
That's a great point about not wanting to bribe children for basic hygiene practices; that's definitely a delicate balance!

Using a points-based system could be a good compromise, where the child can work towards a reward but also understand the importance of the behaviour. This way, it feels more like an earned accomplishment rather than a bribe. The challenge is finding the right incentive that motivates your child without becoming mundane.
A points system could be an exciting way to help them learn about deferred gratification too. Finding that perfect incentive is definitely a challenge but可是一段时间之后就会发现一些模式吧, haha! Each kid is different, so parents might need to try out different strategies until they find the right one.

A points system could be an exciting way to help them learn about deferred gratification too. Finding that perfect incentive is definitely a challenge but可是一段时间之后就会发现一些模式吧, haha! Each kid is different, so parents might need to try out different strategies until they find the right one.
Creating a points system could be an innovative way to encourage and reward their progress! The challenge is to discover each child's unique motivation.

Reactions: bookworm
Points systems are a great idea! Stickers, stars, or any other cute rewards could be doled out based on a set criteria - perhaps each successful visit to the potty is worth 5 points, and 10 points can be redeemed for a small prize? It's important to remember to praise and celebrate every success, no matter how big or small, to encourage progress.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Points systems are a great idea! Stickers, stars, or any other cute rewards could be doled out based on a set criteria - perhaps each successful visit to the potty is worth 5 points, and 10 points can be redeemed for a small prize? It's important to remember to praise and celebrate every success, no matter how big or small, to encourage progress.
Yes! I've seen this incentive method work well with many of my mom friends' children. It's amazing how something as simple as a sticker can be such a powerful motivator for toddlers. And you're right - celebrating each small victory is key to boosting their confidence and encouraging them to keep trying.

Stickers are like magic! They can turn any frown upside down and make potty training that much more fun. It's amazing how encouraging words and small rewards can have such a positive impact on our little ones' confidence.

Celebrating each achievement is definitely a great way to build their self-esteem, create positive associations with potty training, and keep the momentum going. When we praise and appreciate their small wins, it makes them feel proud and more willing to take on new challenges. Way to go, mommas!

Stickers are like magic! They can turn any frown upside down and make potty training that much more fun. It's amazing how encouraging words and small rewards can have such a positive impact on our little ones' confidence.

Celebrating each achievement is definitely a great way to build their self-esteem, create positive associations with potty training, and keep the momentum going. When we praise and appreciate their small wins, it makes them feel proud and more willing to take on new challenges. Way to go, mommas!
every child deserves a round of applause for their efforts in potty training. We should give a pat on the back to ourselves too - for enduring the messy incidents and giggle fits!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

It's incredible how something so simple like stickers can be a powerful tool in encouraging our kids' development, giving them the confidence to take on this challenging milestone. We sure need all the help we can get as parents!

It's incredible how something so simple like stickers can be a powerful tool in encouraging our kids' development, giving them the confidence to take on this challenging milestone. We sure need all the help we can get as parents!
Stickers are a great incentive - a cheap, effective trick to positively reinforce potty training, which can be a real headache for parents!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Stickers are a handy reward for such a tricky transition! They are a great visual motivator, and toddlers love the fun of picking their favorite designs.

Stickers are a great incentive - a cheap, effective trick to positively reinforce potty training, which can be a real headache for parents!
Yes, my kids loved stickers too, especially those with their favorite cartoon characters! I recall having to buy multiple packs because they were incentivized to earn as many stickers as possible! They would proudly display them on their charts!

Stickers are a handy reward for such a tricky transition! They are a great visual motivator, and toddlers love the fun of picking their favorite designs.
It's a great idea to use stickers! A simple reward system can go a long way with toddlers; they are so much fun and an easy way to keep them engaged and motivated during a challenging transition phase.

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Yes, my kids loved stickers too, especially those with their favorite cartoon characters! I recall having to buy multiple packs because they were incentivized to earn as many stickers as possible! They would proudly display them on their charts!
Stickers are a powerful incentive for young kids! The excitement of collecting and displaying them is a fun way to motivate and teach. Remembering those days with fond memories, some of my kid's sticker collections were so extensive it was hard to keep track!

Stickers are a powerful incentive for young kids! The excitement of collecting and displaying them is a fun way to motivate and teach. Remembering those days with fond memories, some of my kid's sticker collections were so extensive it was hard to keep track!
I totally agree! Stickers are a huge hit with young kids, and the collections they amass can be impressive. They're a great incentive and make for a fun, visual reward that kids enjoy displaying.

Do you have any recommendations for the age-old challenge of potty training? I've heard of some cute themed sticker packs but would love to hear some fresh ideas! It's a challenging phase every parent goes through, so any new insights are welcome!

Stickers definitely seem like an effective trick up the sleeve for this tricky situation!

Some sticker pack ideas could be shaped around popular cartoon characters, which are often a huge draw. Or maybe some cute, custom-designed stickers featuring various animals or objects relevant to the child. The more interactive and personalized, the better - perhaps encouraging the kids to “earn” a special sticker by completing challenges is a good twist.

Beyond that, it's worth thinking about other incentives too! There are some lovely potty charts available online that offer a visual timer and rewards system - some have cute graphics that can be colour-coded for different times of the day or goals achieved. And of course, who could forget the classic rewards of chocolate or ice cream? A fun treat with an instant gratification factor could be a good finishing line for those reluctant moments!

It's also worth remembering the power of praise and encouragement - a big high five and lots of positive words can go a long way too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu