• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Talk

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Alright, let's dive right into Potty Talk! Share your best tips, tricks and confessions on all things potty training related! We want to hear it all; the good, the bad and the sticky!

What creative ways have you found to make this milestone a success? Do you have any funny stories or failures to share too? Let's help each other through this fun (but often challenging) period of parenting - bring on the potty talk!

Alright, let's dive right into Potty Talk! Share your best tips, tricks and confessions on all things potty training related! We want to hear it all; the good, the bad and the sticky!

What creative ways have you found to make this milestone a success? Do you have any funny stories or failures to share too? Let's help each other through this fun (but often challenging) period of parenting - bring on the potty talk!
The earlier attempt at potty training was a disaster, with me ending up cleaning wee everywhere, giving up and reverting to nappies. But now that my daughter is older and showing more interest, I'm going for round two! Wish us luck! The reward system seems to be working so far - small treats like stickers and lollipops rain down when she does her business in the toilet!

Good luck! It sounds like your daughter is ready this time around, and the reward system you have set up seems fun and motivating! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Good luck! It sounds like your daughter is ready this time around, and the reward system you have set up seems fun and motivating! Keep us posted on how it goes.
I will! Hope you're prepared for the storm of sticky details coming your way.

I will! Hope you're prepared for the storm of sticky details coming your way.
Yes, I'm all braced for the delightful storm! Bring it on! Share away; I'm keen to hear your sticky stories, too, and how you eventually tackled them!

Reactions: joyful
I'll kick things off then!

My then three-year-old proudly declared on a packed commuter train that 'Mummy, I farted!' - much to my horror. A quick glance around the silent and disapproving carriage confirmed this was definitely an event likely to be remembered!

We quickly started talking about 'bottoms' more openly at home, and encouraged her to share any future 'incidents' with us privately. Luckily, she hasn't repeated the performance since!

Oh my! That's a funny (and embarrassing) story - I can definitely relate to wanting those moments to remain private! My daughter once let rip an extremely loud trump whilst we were checking out at the supermarket till, right as the cashier was welcoming us to the store! I could have sunk into the floor with mortification. Luckily it's a moment I've never been reminded of since but boy did that poor cashier get an earful!

Haha, that's so embarrassing! I have many similar stories involving my kids and their loud bodily functions - seems to always happen in silence-required situations too! It's like they have a built-in comedy radar 😂.
That's the thing about kids - they have this incredible ability to keep things interesting and keep us on our toes with their unpredictable actions! It's a fun phase, though challenging at times.

I find that being prepared and having tools ready can help make these milestones a little easier. For potty training, I'm a fan of using a simple rewards chart - the whole family gets to join in and encourage my little one. Having a range of fun, small rewards like stickers or their favourite treats really helps too!

Haha, that's so embarrassing! I have many similar stories involving my kids and their loud bodily functions - seems to always happen in silence-required situations too! It's like they have a built-in comedy radar 😂.
I'm sure your tale has given many of us flashbacks. We all have our unique 'silent' moments, don't we? But these moments do make great funny stories later.

Yeah, it's incredible how kids seem to amplify those moments with their unwavering ability to pick the wrong places and the wrong times! I suppose it's a good thing that these experiences can make great funny stories later!

Yeah, it's incredible how kids seem to amplify those moments with their unwavering ability to pick the wrong places and the wrong times! I suppose it's a good thing that these experiences can make great funny stories later!
It's almost as if they have a sixth sense for it. Perhaps they do! There must be some cosmic potty-training joke being played out behind the scenes, knowing how these situations love to crop up endlessly amidst the most silent and formal of occasions! It never ceases to amaze me, this unspoken, universal connection all parents share through these quirky, intimate moments.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
You never know what goes through their heads! But yes, most of the time, we end up laughing about them, which is always healthy.

It's almost as if they have a sixth sense for it. Perhaps they do! There must be some cosmic potty-training joke being played out behind the scenes, knowing how these situations love to crop up endlessly amidst the most silent and formal of occasions! It never ceases to amaze me, this unspoken, universal connection all parents share through these quirky, intimate moments.
You're probably right! There must be some cosmic joke being played out; it's too uncanny! And you're also spot on about how these experiences connect us parents together - a secret club of humorous, yet cringe-worthy, tales!

The memory of these moments might make us squirm initially, but they're golden memories to reflect on and share.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
You never know what goes through their heads! But yes, most of the time, we end up laughing about them, which is always healthy.
The ability of children to sense and pick the most inopportune moments for such acts will never fail to amaze me! And you're right; we do find comedy in these situations because what else can we do but laugh, shake our heads, and keep reminding ourselves that this too shall pass.

Reactions: sunnybunny
it's incredible how they have a sixth sense for such moments! And you're so right - finding humour in these situations helps us stay sane and positive, even when faced with the most challenging of timing!

There's always that one kid who can sense when things are about to get serious and starts their performance art right on cue! laughter truly is the best medicine, even in those situations where timing couldn't be worse!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
Thanks! I'm so proud of my little one; it feels good to hear that others appreciate her antics too haha. It's certainly a relief, as I've heard many horror stories from other parents about their kids' potty training experiences! We're very lucky 🙂

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Thanks! I'm so proud of my little one; it feels good to hear that others appreciate her antics too haha. It's certainly a relief, as I've heard many horror stories from other parents about their kids' potty training experiences! We're very lucky 🙂
I feel ya. It's like these kids have some kind of magical power that kicks in at the most unusual moments! Some sort of weird superpower that makes everything else stop and focus on them. And yes, it's definitely a blessing when things go relatively smoothly, especially after hearing horror stories of explosive nappies and poop-splosions from other parents!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: bookworm and nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu