• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Talk

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, let's dive right into Potty Talk! Whether you're in the midst of potty training or just starting to think about it, this is the place to share your experiences, get advice, and offer your tips for toilet success! Share your stories and let's make potty training less daunting together!

What's everyone's biggest potty training challenge right now? Any victories, big or small, that you'd like to celebrate? Fire away!

As a first-time mom, I'm finding it tough to know when to start potty training. My little one is 20 months and shows some signs of readiness, like telling me when she's pooped, but then sometimes she seems totally disinterested in the whole toilet concept! It feels like such a big step and I want to make sure I've timed it right. Anyone else feeling unsure about when to begin? Any tips on knowing if your child is really ready?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
As a fellow first-time mom, I hear ya! It's a tricky phase and you want to make sure you're not diving into it too soon, but also don't want to miss the window.

Some signs of readiness that worked well for us were:

- Understanding and following simple instructions. This was a big one, as it meant she had the cognitive ability to learn the potty process.

- Staying dry for longer stretches. If your little one is doing this, it's a good indication their bladder control is improving.

- The interest in independence - a desire to wear "big kid" clothes or do things by themselves is a good indicator. And of course, telling you when they've pooped, as you mentioned! That was one of the first signs my daughter showed, and we ran with it.

We started around that age, 20 months, with a potty seat and lots of encouragement, but no pressure. We made it a fun activity, and though there were setbacks and accidents, she got there eventually. It's okay to take your time and go at their pace - every kiddo is different!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: happyfeet
Thank you for sharing those signs of readiness - they are super helpful! I can definitely relate to wanting to make sure we're not missing the window and also not diving into it too soon, it's a tricky balance!

My little one has definitely started showing a strong interest in independence lately, which is great timing to encourage the potty training. I love the idea of making it a fun activity - will definitely keep that front of mind when we start. And yes, every kiddo is different - that's such a good reminder, especially when comparing timelines with other mamas!

Will keep you posted on our progress, wish us luck!!! 😊🙏

You've got this! It sounds like your little one is at a great stage where they're showing interest in independence - that's fantastic! Keep us posted, and good luck!! 🤞🏼 😘

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and luciana
You've got this! It sounds like your little one is at a great stage where they're showing interest in independence - that's fantastic! Keep us posted, and good luck!! 🤞🏼 😘
Hehe, thank you!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll go smoothly 🤞🤣 Wish me patience too, as I anticipate the challenges ahead...but let's hope for the best!! 😆

Thank you!! I'm trying not to stress about it too much, but it's hard haha! Just want to get past this stage so life gets a little easier!

Don't worry, you'll get there! It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed with it all - it's such a big milestone and has a huge impact on your daily life too. But it'll pass and before you know it, you'll be nappy free! What methods have you tried? Have you found anything that seems to work well so far?

It's encouraging to hear it's normal to feel overwhelmed - I was starting to worry! We've been focusing on lots of practice sitting on the potty, which has resulted in a few successful wees! We also have a sticker chart which seems to be good incentive for our little one - and lots of praise and high fives too, of course! It's definitely a big change having to factor toilet trips into every outing though - it's such a faff!

Well done on the successful wees! Sticker charts are a great idea, and well done for getting out and about too - it’s definitely tricky to factor in those toilet trips when you’re out enjoying yourself! Hope all the practice pays off soon! 😊

Thank you! Yes, we're trying hard to just go with it and not make a big production every time - which can be tricky when you're desperate for them to work! But definitely making progress and the stickers are a fab idea so far. Hopefully it continues! 😬

Stickers are a great incentive! My son responded well to a similar rewards chart for going potty - especially when it was stuck right by the toilet so he could see it every time he sat down to try! It's definitely tricky to not make a big deal of it but it sounds like you're doing an awesome job letting them tackle this milestone at their own pace. Here's to less accidents and more success stories! 🎉 😁

Stickers are a great incentive! My son responded well to a similar rewards chart for going potty - especially when it was stuck right by the toilet so he could see it every time he sat down to try! It's definitely tricky to not make a big deal of it but it sounds like you're doing an awesome job letting them tackle this milestone at their own pace. Here's to less accidents and more success stories! 🎉 😁
I remember those days, the excitement of those first successful potty trips! I think as mums, we just want to celebrate every little victory because it's such a big deal to us! Haha. Here's to more progress and less cleaning up pee! 👏🏼🍾. Do you think there's anything else that would've helped you during this stage looking back?

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
That's wonderful parenting advice, especially the part about tailoring the reward chart to their interests! My toddler also has a keen eye for such details, so I'll keep the chart up by the toilet too! Less accidents is definitely something to look forward to. Cheers! 🍾

That's wonderful parenting advice, especially the part about tailoring the reward chart to their interests! My toddler also has a keen eye for such details, so I'll keep the chart up by the toilet too! Less accidents is definitely something to look forward to. Cheers! 🍾
It feels good to have some encouragement! I think we're on the right track - my little one's progress has been quite consistent, which is reassuring.

I'm just glad it'll be one less thing to worry about once we've fully potty-trained! Means I can focus on other things, like keeping her entertained now that we're venturing out of the house more. Hope the good run continues!

Congratulations! It's fantastic news that your little one's progress has been consistent - it's such a relief when things go smoothly! Here's to hoping the potty-training journey remains on this positive path and you can focus on the fun stuff ahead. Keep us posted! 😊

Congratulations! It's fantastic news that your little one's progress has been consistent - it's such a relief when things go smoothly! Here's to hoping the potty-training journey remains on this positive path and you can focus on the fun stuff ahead. Keep us posted! 😊
I'm sure there'll be bumps along the road, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed too that the hard work is paying off!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
I'm sure there'll be bumps along the road, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed too that the hard work is paying off!
Bumps are bound to happen, and it's completely normal! Don't worry; you've got this! It's great that you're maintaining a positive attitude about it. Well done on your dedication so far! Keep us posted on any milestones; we love hearing them!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Thanks so much for the encouragement - what a lovely, supportive community you are!
I will keep you updated - it's such a boost to celebrate these victories with understanding people like yourselves!! 💩🥳😂

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu