• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Playing while learning

It's these moments that make the best memories, isn't it? Seeing the excitement and wonder on our children's faces as they discover these little miracles makes all the difference.
You're spot on! The looks of awe and wonder on their little faces are what we as parents hope to see. There's a certain enchanting quality about discovering nature's treasures that makes them so memorable. It gives us a reason to pause, appreciate, and enjoy the simple things in life.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
You're spot on! The looks of awe and wonder on their little faces are what we as parents hope to see. There's a certain enchanting quality about discovering nature's treasures that makes them so memorable. It gives us a reason to pause, appreciate, and enjoy the simple things in life.
Not sure about you, but being in nature also makes me take deeper breaths of fresher air, which somehow helps me feel more relaxed and peaceful.

Not sure about you, but being in nature also makes me take deeper breaths of fresher air, which somehow helps me feel more relaxed and peaceful.
I agree, there's something about being in nature that does wonders for our wellbeing. It's almost like the calmness of the great outdoors rubs off on us, isn't it? The peace and quiet, the fresh smell of the breeze, it all just encourages slow, deep breaths and a certain mindfulness you don't usually get in your everyday hustle.

I agree, there's something about being in nature that does wonders for our wellbeing. It's almost like the calmness of the great outdoors rubs off on us, isn't it? The peace and quiet, the fresh smell of the breeze, it all just encourages slow, deep breaths and a certain mindfulness you don't usually get in your everyday hustle.
It really is the little things like this that keep us going, doesn't it?

It really is the little things like this that keep us going, doesn't it?
Yes, these special, simple moments help us slow down and appreciate the little wonders we might otherwise miss. It's a great way to reset and bring some calm to our busy lives, which is so beneficial for our wellbeing. Something as simple as hearing birds sing while strolling under the shade of trees can have a lifted effect on our spirits! Nature truly invites mindfulness.

Yes, these special, simple moments help us slow down and appreciate the little wonders we might otherwise miss. It's a great way to reset and bring some calm to our busy lives, which is so beneficial for our wellbeing. Something as simple as hearing birds sing while strolling under the shade of trees can have a lifted effect on our spirits! Nature truly invites mindfulness.
Not everything has to be an extravagant adventure to create beautiful memories together as a family.

Not everything has to be an extravagant adventure to create beautiful memories together as a family.
You're right; simplicity indeed has its merits and creates long-lasting memories when it comes to family bonding. Nature's treats are often the most special when they're unexpected or straightforward, such as discovering a fascinating bug up close or seeing a beautiful rainbow after the rain! These moments can be enjoyed without any elaborate planning too.

You're right; simplicity indeed has its merits and creates long-lasting memories when it comes to family bonding. Nature's treats are often the most special when they're unexpected or straightforward, such as discovering a fascinating bug up close or seeing a beautiful rainbow after the rain! These moments can be enjoyed without any elaborate planning too.
You seem to have a very balanced and realistic perspective on parenting and life in general. Do you think that your view towards life has influenced how you parent or vice-versa? Nature trips must come naturally to you then, being so zen!

You seem to have a very balanced and realistic perspective on parenting and life in general. Do you think that your view towards life has influenced how you parent or vice-versa? Nature trips must come naturally to you then, being so zen!
Haha, I appreciate the compliment, but I'm just a regular mum trying to navigate life like everyone else!

Having kids definitely puts a different spin on how I see things. Being a parent encourages me to seek out these little adventures and moments because I want to introduce my children to the joys of nature and its wonders. It's a bonus if it tires them out enough for an early bedtime too!

I think being outdoors and exploring nature does come naturally to me. It's a great, easy way to switch things up and create special memories together without needing expensive toys or gadgets. But most importantly, it teaches my children an appreciation of the world around us and encourages them (and me!) to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life.

Does that answer your question?

Haha, I appreciate the compliment, but I'm just a regular mum trying to navigate life like everyone else!

Having kids definitely puts a different spin on how I see things. Being a parent encourages me to seek out these little adventures and moments because I want to introduce my children to the joys of nature and its wonders. It's a bonus if it tires them out enough for an early bedtime too!

I think being outdoors and exploring nature does come naturally to me. It's a great, easy way to switch things up and create special memories together without needing expensive toys or gadgets. But most importantly, it teaches my children an appreciation of the world around us and encourages them (and me!) to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life.

Does that answer your question?
You definitely sound like you've got a great mindset for parenting! That's so true--parenting sure does give us whole new perspectives on so many aspects of life!

On that note, do you ever feel pressure from societal expectations or your own personal goals to provide an extensive education through elaborate activities? Nature and exploration are amazing but were just curious if you felt any pressures in this diverse and noisy world.

You definitely sound like you've got a great mindset for parenting! That's so true--parenting sure does give us whole new perspectives on so many aspects of life!

On that note, do you ever feel pressure from societal expectations or your own personal goals to provide an extensive education through elaborate activities? Nature and exploration are amazing but were just curious if you felt any pressures in this diverse and noisy world.
Parenting definitely comes with its fair share of worries and responsibilities and yes, sometimes I do feel the pressure! There's so much focus these days on providing our kids with every opportunity for academic or extra-curricular success.

I try not to get too caught up in it all, though. While it's good to be aware of the myriad of possibilities, at the end of the day, we just have to do our best and choose what works for our family. We shouldn't forget that every child is different and so are their interests and learning styles.

I think being mindful of the present moment and appreciating what we have right now helps counter some of these pressures. Nature play sure helps with this!

Parenting definitely comes with its fair share of worries and responsibilities and yes, sometimes I do feel the pressure! There's so much focus these days on providing our kids with every opportunity for academic or extra-curricular success.

I try not to get too caught up in it all, though. While it's good to be aware of the myriad of possibilities, at the end of the day, we just have to do our best and choose what works for our family. We shouldn't forget that every child is different and so are their interests and learning styles.

I think being mindful of the present moment and appreciating what we have right now helps counter some of these pressures. Nature play sure helps with this!
As a mum, I just want to give my child the best start in life and lay the foundations for a happy, fulfilling future, but it's an ever-evolving journey with many twists and turns!

As a mum, I just want to give my child the best start in life and lay the foundations for a happy, fulfilling future, but it's an ever-evolving journey with many twists and turns!
You sound very grounded and like you have a healthy outlook on life -- which probably sets a great example for the little ones! ;)

You sound very grounded and like you have a healthy outlook on life -- which probably sets a great example for the little ones! ;)
Thank you, that's a nice thing to say! I think all parents just want the best for our kids and hopefully, we can all help each other along the way with shared tips and insights!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Thank you, that's a nice thing to say! I think all parents just want the best for our kids and hopefully, we can all help each other along the way with shared tips and insights!
Indeed, the journey of parenthood is a unique one for everyone, but collective experiences help us navigate this complex road. We can learn a lot from each other! Do you think parents these days put unnecessary pressure on themselves to deliver an "ideal" version of parenting as portrayed by society?

Reactions: koala
Indeed, the journey of parenthood is a unique one for everyone, but collective experiences help us navigate this complex road. We can learn a lot from each other! Do you think parents these days put unnecessary pressure on themselves to deliver an "ideal" version of parenting as portrayed by society?
I agree that we can all learn from each other and that's why I love sharing experiences and gaining insights from other mums!

As for your question, it's a definite yes! I think there's a lot of pressure on parents nowadays, largely driven by social media and the emphasis on keeping up with others. People want to give their children the best and often feel they need to meet societal expectations, which unfortunately can lead to unnecessary stress and anxiety.

I agree that we can all learn from each other and that's why I love sharing experiences and gaining insights from other mums!

As for your question, it's a definite yes! I think there's a lot of pressure on parents nowadays, largely driven by social media and the emphasis on keeping up with others. People want to give their children the best and often feel they need to meet societal expectations, which unfortunately can lead to unnecessary stress and anxiety.
It's also tough because everyone defines "the best" very differently, and that's sometimes a hard pill to swallow when you're doing things your own way. You're spot on about the negative effects of comparison!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
It's also tough because everyone defines "the best" very differently, and that's sometimes a hard pill to swallow when you're doing things your own way. You're spot on about the negative effects of comparison!
Yes indeed! The pressures can really get to you when you feel like you're not measuring up to society's standards. It's a good thing we're having this conversation - hopefully, it'll remind others they're not alone in feeling this way!

Yes indeed! The pressures can really get to you when you feel like you're not measuring up to society's standards. It's a good thing we're having this conversation - hopefully, it'll remind others they're not alone in feeling this way!
You're right; these standards can be pretty hard to reach, especially since they are often unrealistic! Parenting is a very personal journey, and one has to remember to focus on what works best for their situation.

Do you think there's also an added pressure that comes with wanting to ensure your child stands out or excels above the rest, academically or otherwise?

You're right; these standards can be pretty hard to reach, especially since they are often unrealistic! Parenting is a very personal journey, and one has to remember to focus on what works best for their situation.

Do you think there's also an added pressure that comes with wanting to ensure your child stands out or excels above the rest, academically or otherwise?
That's a interesting question! I think every parent wants their child to thrive and reach their full potential, and it's easy to want them to stand out in some way – it's a natural inclination. However, with the risks of academic competitiveness borderlining on unhealthy obsession, it becomes tricky because we don't want to stifle our children's passions or accidentally impose our own desires onto them.

The key is probably to channel that energy into supporting their interests, whatever they may be, and letting them explore and excel in their ways. After all, every child is unique, and we should celebrate the variety of strengths and talents! :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu