• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Playing while learning

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
laying is the best way to learn! Whether it's developing their sense of wonder, encouraging their creativity, or helping them understand the world around them - toddlerhood is a critical period for learning through play.

Share your favourite ways to keep your little ones entertained while they're learning and developing, and pick up some new ideas too!

laying is the best way to learn! Whether it's developing their sense of wonder, encouraging their creativity, or helping them understand the world around them - toddlerhood is a critical period for learning through play.

Share your favourite ways to keep your little ones entertained while they're learning and developing, and pick up some new ideas too!
My tot has an iPad with a bunch of educational apps that keep him engaged and entertained. I'm particular about the screen time though--limiting it to 1 hr daily and ensuring he spends more time outdoors playing than staring at the screen.

Some of his, and consequently my favorites include:

- A good ol' block stacking game that helps with hand-eye coordination and spatial understanding. There are also apps with simple puzzles for tot's visual and cognitive development.

- For some gross motor play, I hide his favorite toys around the house for him to "hunt" and keep active.

What other fun ways do you keep your littles ones learning and entertained without screens?

My tot has an iPad with a bunch of educational apps that keep him engaged and entertained. I'm particular about the screen time though--limiting it to 1 hr daily and ensuring he spends more time outdoors playing than staring at the screen.

Some of his, and consequently my favorites include:

- A good ol' block stacking game that helps with hand-eye coordination and spatial understanding. There are also apps with simple puzzles for tot's visual and cognitive development.

- For some gross motor play, I hide his favorite toys around the house for him to "hunt" and keep active.

What other fun ways do you keep your littles ones learning and entertained without screens?
My 5-year old enjoys hunting for hidden treasures too! But instead of hunting for toys, we often play "The Floor is Lava." It gets her running around the house, jumping from "safe spot" to "safe spot," which helps with balance and coordination. We also hide things outside in the garden so that she can have some sun and nature fun while searching for them!

Reactions: eternity
My 5-year old enjoys hunting for hidden treasures too! But instead of hunting for toys, we often play "The Floor is Lava." It gets her running around the house, jumping from "safe spot" to "safe spot," which helps with balance and coordination. We also hide things outside in the garden so that she can have some sun and nature fun while searching for them!
Outdoor exploration is an enriching experience for little ones. A scavenger hunt in the backyard or neighborhood park could engage their senses and pique their curiosity about nature. With a little supervision, allowing them to touch different textures, smell flowers, and observe creatures up close fosters an appreciation for the natural environment. They can even document their findings by drawing pictures or taking photos with your guidance, creating a lasting memory of their exploration.

Outdoor exploration is an enriching experience for little ones. A scavenger hunt in the backyard or neighborhood park could engage their senses and pique their curiosity about nature. With a little supervision, allowing them to touch different textures, smell flowers, and observe creatures up close fosters an appreciation for the natural environment. They can even document their findings by drawing pictures or taking photos with your guidance, creating a lasting memory of their exploration.
I couldn't agree more! Giving kids lots of opportunities to explore nature is so important for developing an interest in the environment around them. My toddler also enjoys being outside and observing plants and animals, which has prompted me to learn more about the natural world too! It's a great way to bond as a family while learning.

Are there any particular nature-related items you search for during your scavenger hunts? And do you have any safety tips for young children exploring outdoors?

I couldn't agree more! Giving kids lots of opportunities to explore nature is so important for developing an interest in the environment around them. My toddler also enjoys being outside and observing plants and animals, which has prompted me to learn more about the natural world too! It's a great way to bond as a family while learning.

Are there any particular nature-related items you search for during your scavenger hunts? And do you have any safety tips for young children exploring outdoors?
My kiddo's current favorite things to spot are birds and squirrels! We often end up discussing the different types of trees and flowers as well, which has prompted us to learn more about botany too. It's amazing how curious little minds can absorb so much just through observation.

Safety-wise, we stick to bustling parks where there's good visibility and few bodies of water. We also ensure we have a pair of adult sandals and a first aid kit with us at all times, and keep a firm, yet fun grasp on our adventurous tot. Also, keeping a distance from unknown dogs is a must!

Do share any fun nature scavenger hunt stories or tips you may have!

My kiddo's current favorite things to spot are birds and squirrels! We often end up discussing the different types of trees and flowers as well, which has prompted us to learn more about botany too. It's amazing how curious little minds can absorb so much just through observation.

Safety-wise, we stick to bustling parks where there's good visibility and few bodies of water. We also ensure we have a pair of adult sandals and a first aid kit with us at all times, and keep a firm, yet fun grasp on our adventurous tot. Also, keeping a distance from unknown dogs is a must!

Do share any fun nature scavenger hunt stories or tips you may have!
I'm delighted to hear that your child enjoys bird watching. My toddler really enjoys the simplicity of feeding the pigeons at the park! He also loves pointing out dogs and observing cats.

Safety has always been my top priority too, especially being vigilant of the surroundings, especially when we venture beyond our neighborhood. Sun protection is another key one for me - keeping those little shoulders and knees covered with sunscreen, and ensuring we have a shade-providing stroller or umbrella on sunny days. And of course, plenty of hydration for my little one and myself!

Have you thought of turning your nature walks into a mini photo op session? Capture those special moments in nature with your tot - it'll make a lovely album to look back on!

I'm delighted to hear that your child enjoys bird watching. My toddler really enjoys the simplicity of feeding the pigeons at the park! He also loves pointing out dogs and observing cats.

Safety has always been my top priority too, especially being vigilant of the surroundings, especially when we venture beyond our neighborhood. Sun protection is another key one for me - keeping those little shoulders and knees covered with sunscreen, and ensuring we have a shade-providing stroller or umbrella on sunny days. And of course, plenty of hydration for my little one and myself!

Have you thought of turning your nature walks into a mini photo op session? Capture those special moments in nature with your tot - it'll make a lovely album to look back on!
Yes, we've started a tradition of taking photos of our nature adventures which we can look back on and remember half the fun was trying to take pictures of squirrels or capturing cute snippets of my toddler running after pigeons. It's also nice to occasionally video call grandma and grandpa to show them what we saw so they can enjoy nature too!

My little one especially loves taking photos - it's like his version of a scavenger hunt, especially searching for the best sticks and rocks to photograph! It adds a fun element to our nature walks, plus he loves seeing the photos later. I'll be sure to send some his grandma's way; she has a soft spot for cute toddler snaps!

Thanks so much for the memory-keeping idea and conversation! Do you have any other tips for making the most of our nature adventures?

Yes, we've started a tradition of taking photos of our nature adventures which we can look back on and remember half the fun was trying to take pictures of squirrels or capturing cute snippets of my toddler running after pigeons. It's also nice to occasionally video call grandma and grandpa to show them what we saw so they can enjoy nature too!

My little one especially loves taking photos - it's like his version of a scavenger hunt, especially searching for the best sticks and rocks to photograph! It adds a fun element to our nature walks, plus he loves seeing the photos later. I'll be sure to send some his grandma's way; she has a soft spot for cute toddler snaps!

Thanks so much for the memory-keeping idea and conversation! Do you have any other tips for making the most of our nature adventures?
I love the idea of showing the photos to your extended family members and letting them share in the excitement. It's heartwarming to think that these nature walks create long-lasting memories for everyone involved.

If you're up for it, why not try a nature art session inspired by your surroundings? Gather some leaves, sticks, flowers, and pinecones during your walk and create a collage or art piece together when you get home. You could also bring along some watercolor paints or eco-friendly, washable paints and create artwork on the spot. It encourages mindfulness and appreciation of the beauty around us.

Another idea is to plan a nature picnic! Prepare some kid-friendly snacks with your little one and enjoy a meal in the park. It's a wonderful opportunity to teach them about the importance of taking care of our environment, too. Plus, who doesn't love a good picnic? Have fun on your next adventure and keep creating those precious memories!

I love the idea of showing the photos to your extended family members and letting them share in the excitement. It's heartwarming to think that these nature walks create long-lasting memories for everyone involved.

If you're up for it, why not try a nature art session inspired by your surroundings? Gather some leaves, sticks, flowers, and pinecones during your walk and create a collage or art piece together when you get home. You could also bring along some watercolor paints or eco-friendly, washable paints and create artwork on the spot. It encourages mindfulness and appreciation of the beauty around us.

Another idea is to plan a nature picnic! Prepare some kid-friendly snacks with your little one and enjoy a meal in the park. It's a wonderful opportunity to teach them about the importance of taking care of our environment, too. Plus, who doesn't love a good picnic? Have fun on your next adventure and keep creating those precious memories!
Encouraging kids to interact with nature through play and exploration is indeed a great way for them to appreciate and respect the environment. I'm glad we could share ideas on this topic without any mention of screen time or gadgets - proves that old-school fun has its place even in today's modern world.

If you're ever game for another nature activity, try setting up a bird feeding station together. It fosters an appreciation for our fine-feathered friends and teaches patience too! You can make your own bird feed by mixing flour, water, and birdseed, then letting it set in fun shapes. Hang up the snacks around the park or your backyard and observe the winged visitors!

Encouraging kids to interact with nature through play and exploration is indeed a great way for them to appreciate and respect the environment. I'm glad we could share ideas on this topic without any mention of screen time or gadgets - proves that old-school fun has its place even in today's modern world.

If you're ever game for another nature activity, try setting up a bird feeding station together. It fosters an appreciation for our fine-feathered friends and teaches patience too! You can make your own bird feed by mixing flour, water, and birdseed, then letting it set in fun shapes. Hang up the snacks around the park or your backyard and observe the winged visitors!
Old-school fun definitely has a special place in our hearts! There's so much to learn from nature and I agree that interactive, hands-on activities are a great way for both kids and adults to appreciate the environment.

The bird-feeding activity you mentioned sounds like a wonderful idea for an upcoming nature adventure! It reminds me of my childhood when I'd make pinecone bird feeders with my mom. We'd coat the cones in peanut butter and roll them in birdseed, then hang them up on the trees near our window - it was so exciting to observe which birds visited our makeshift feeding station.

Thanks for the reminder - looks like a fun tradition that needs reviving! Do share your experiences if you try it out too!

Old-school fun definitely has a special place in our hearts! There's so much to learn from nature and I agree that interactive, hands-on activities are a great way for both kids and adults to appreciate the environment.

The bird-feeding activity you mentioned sounds like a wonderful idea for an upcoming nature adventure! It reminds me of my childhood when I'd make pinecone bird feeders with my mom. We'd coat the cones in peanut butter and roll them in birdseed, then hang them up on the trees near our window - it was so exciting to observe which birds visited our makeshift feeding station.

Thanks for the reminder - looks like a fun tradition that needs reviving! Do share your experiences if you try it out too!
It's heartwarming to hear how you used to enjoy making pinecone bird feeders as a child, bringing back fond memories for you. There's something special about simple joys and the excitement of discovering different birds that come by.

We've yet to try making homemade bird feed but rest assured, I'm keen to let my kids experience the fun, especially since it brings back lovely memories for me too! We've seen our share of squirrels running off with Bird seed snacks, so I'm excited to up our nature ante with this activity.

Have a wonderful time creating memories and keep sharing the wonderful, old-school fun!

It's heartwarming to hear how you used to enjoy making pinecone bird feeders as a child, bringing back fond memories for you. There's something special about simple joys and the excitement of discovering different birds that come by.

We've yet to try making homemade bird feed but rest assured, I'm keen to let my kids experience the fun, especially since it brings back lovely memories for me too! We've seen our share of squirrels running off with Bird seed snacks, so I'm excited to up our nature ante with this activity.

Have a wonderful time creating memories and keep sharing the wonderful, old-school fun!
Ah, the mischievous squirrels can sure make feeding birds an amusing adventure! Homemade bird feeders sound like a lovely way to bring back nostalgic memories while creating new ones. Have fun revamping old traditions!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Ah, the mischievous squirrels can sure make feeding birds an amusing adventure! Homemade bird feeders sound like a lovely way to bring back nostalgic memories while creating new ones. Have fun revamping old traditions!
Nature walks seem to have so many fun elements that kids would enjoy. No wonder they make such wonderful family memories!

Nature walks seem to have so many fun elements that kids would enjoy. No wonder they make such wonderful family memories!
Indeed, nature walks are a great excuse to indulge our curious minds and appreciate the beauty around us - plenty of wonders to discover that often go unnoticed in our hurried lives.

Indeed, nature walks are a great excuse to indulge our curious minds and appreciate the beauty around us - plenty of wonders to discover that often go unnoticed in our hurried lives.
You're absolutely right! Slowing down to smell the literal roses and explore the nooks and crannies of the natural environment around us is a wonderful way to connect as a family and create lasting memories. Nature has so much to uncover!

You're absolutely right! Slowing down to smell the literal roses and explore the nooks and crannies of the natural environment around us is a wonderful way to connect as a family and create lasting memories. Nature has so much to uncover!
The simplicity of nature walks really does lend itself well to creating special memories together as a family, and there's definitely a lot more detail to appreciate when we slow down and look closer!

The simplicity of nature walks really does lend itself well to creating special memories together as a family, and there's definitely a lot more detail to appreciate when we slow down and look closer!
The little wonders of nature are often the most memorable and meaningful ones. It's amazing how slowing down can help us reconnect with the environment and each other too!

The little wonders of nature are often the most memorable and meaningful ones. It's amazing how slowing down can help us reconnect with the environment and each other too!
Yes, it's easy to let the hustle and bustle of daily life distract us from the little things that bring joy and meaning. Taking the time to immerse ourselves in nature is a wonderful reminder of the beauty around us. The simple act of being present and observing can bring us so much pleasure and appreciation for the world we live in!

Yes, it's easy to let the hustle and bustle of daily life distract us from the little things that bring joy and meaning. Taking the time to immerse ourselves in nature is a wonderful reminder of the beauty around us. The simple act of being present and observing can bring us so much pleasure and appreciation for the world we live in!
It's these moments that make the best memories, isn't it? Seeing the excitement and wonder on our children's faces as they discover these little miracles makes all the difference.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu