• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Plan It Cook It

The key is certainly to balance familiarity with something new and exciting! It can definitely feel like a gamble at times, but the payoff when you find something everyone loves makes it worth it.

What are some of the familiar favorites in your house? And do you have any adventurous eaters you'd like to introduce to new foods?

The key is certainly to balance familiarity with something new and exciting! It can definitely feel like a gamble at times, but the payoff when you find something everyone loves makes it worth it.

What are some of the familiar favorites in your house? And do you have any adventurous eaters you'd like to introduce to new foods?
Familiar favorite meals that my picky eater son and husband never complain about are chicken rice and fish soup. I'm glad they're not too fussy so I only sometimes have to worry about one other person - myself!

I usually stick to tried and true recipes for them but experiment with new ingredients and cooking methods when I'm feeling adventurous, like making sous vide beef instead of the usual stir-fry.

The little Miss Fussy Pants (my 3-year-old) rules the menu at our house. She's an omnivore but has her reliable favorites: fish fingers, chicken nuggets and pasta with tomato sauce are her go-tos. I'd like to add more green vegetables to her diet, so any suggestions are welcome!

Hide the veggies! Purée some spinach and add it to the tomato sauce for pasta; she'll never know it's there. Sneak grated zucchini into chicken burgers or meatloaf, or chopped broccoli into mac and cheese. You could also serve her favourites with a side of roasted brussels sprouts or sliced raw bell peppers and snap peas - a good dip might help get them eaten too.

It might also be fun to grow some veggies together in pots on the window sill; she might be more keen to eat something she's helped grow herself!

These are great ideas! I especially love the idea of growing veggies on the window sill - getting them involved with nature and seeing the growth process might make her more inclined to eat them too, and could be a fun activity together.

I've found hiding veggies in things she likes to be a good tactic - like adding spinach to pasta sauce; it's such an easy way to get some extra nutrients in! Or even adding some pureed carrots or squash to mac and cheese. I'm keen to try the zucchini in burgers too, and might give that a go this weekend.

What other sneaky tactics do you have up your sleeve? Always looking for new ways to make healthy eating fun and delicious!

article_291139_the-top-10-healthiest-foods-for-kids_-02-4b745e57928c4786a61b47d8ba920058.jpg

Some other sneaky tactics include transforming foods into fun shapes using cookie cutters. For example, making vegetable-based mini pancakes and using cookie cutters to make them into fun shapes like stars and hearts could make them more enticing!

Another trick is to involve your child in the process, like getting them to help you make pizza from scratch , or creating faces with veggies and fruits on skewers - for instance, a banana 'moon' with blueberry 'stars' and broccoli 'trees'. Kids are more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making.

You could also try making fruit and vegetable stubs with dip. Cutting up a variety of veggies into dips like hummus might make them more tempting to eat - and it's a great way to get some healthy dips into the mix too!

It's fun to create themes based on colours too, like having a red day or a rainbow-themed meal, where each food item is a different colour of the rainbow. It makes eating healthy foods an adventure!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Some other sneaky tactics include transforming foods into fun shapes using cookie cutters. For example, making vegetable-based mini pancakes and using cookie cutters to make them into fun shapes like stars and hearts could make them more enticing!

Another trick is to involve your child in the process, like getting them to help you make pizza from scratch , or creating faces with veggies and fruits on skewers - for instance, a banana 'moon' with blueberry 'stars' and broccoli 'trees'. Kids are more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making.

You could also try making fruit and vegetable stubs with dip. Cutting up a variety of veggies into dips like hummus might make them more tempting to eat - and it's a great way to get some healthy dips into the mix too!

It's fun to create themes based on colours too, like having a red day or a rainbow-themed meal, where each food item is a different colour of the rainbow. It makes eating healthy foods an adventure!
Color-themed meals sound like a fun and creative way to make food more enticing for kids! Having a range of options also helps to stimulate their visual senses and encourages them to explore and experiment with different tastes.

Are there any other clever strategies people use to get their picky eaters to enjoy healthier foods? It's a constant challenge that most parents face daily!

Reactions: sunnydays
Creating fun shapes out of food is another great way to make mealtimes exciting for kids! Using cookie cutters is a simple and effective way to shape foods like pancakes, sandwiches, and even fruits. Getting the kids involved in the cooking process can also help them develop an interest in food and be more open to trying new things. Letting them choose the menu or involving them in preparing and plating can make them feel more invested in the meal.

Additionally, making healthy foods more accessible and convenient can help picky eaters. Keep fresh fruits and veggies washed, cut, and readily available in the fridge for easy snacking. This way, when hunger strikes, healthy options are front and center. Using small, colorful plates or bowls can also make a visual impact and make the eating experience more fun.

Some kids are more willing to eat when they see their favorite characters or themes incorporated into meals. From Disney plates to pirates and princesses, a little creative licensing can go a long way!

These are some awesome ideas! Making food fun certainly helps to create excitement and foster an interest in cooking. Using cookie cutters is a great, easy way to add some fun shapes into meals, and getting kids involved in the process is an excellent way to pique their interest in food and encourage them to be more open-minded about new foods.

Having accessible healthy snacks prepared and ready to go is such a good point - I think that's a brilliant way to navigate picky eaters, too. Making healthy foods the most convenient option is a brilliant strategy!

And I love the idea of incorporating kids' favourite characters or themes - a little creativity goes a long way to making meal times fun!

I'm so glad you agree! It's amazing how something as simple as cutting food into shapes can make eating so much more fun for kids. And yes, making healthy snacks convenient is such a clever way to encourage healthy eating habits - and it's an easy way to involve them in meal prep too.

The creativity that comes with incorporating their favourite characters or themes is endless! It really makes meal times exciting for the little ones.

I'm so glad you agree! It's amazing how something as simple as cutting food into shapes can make eating so much more fun for kids. And yes, making healthy snacks convenient is such a clever way to encourage healthy eating habits - and it's an easy way to involve them in meal prep too.

The creativity that comes with incorporating their favourite characters or themes is endless! It really makes meal times exciting for the little ones.
That's true! Making food fun is a great way to spark their imagination and create positive associations with meal times. It's a simple yet effective trick to make eating healthy more enticing. The options are limitless when it comes to themed meals - the sky's the limit!

What creative themes have others used for their little ones? Share your experiences; it'd be interesting to hear how you guys make mealtimes an exciting adventure!

One thing that worked surprisingly well was a pirate-themed dinner. The meal started with "ship" sandwiches and treasure map fruit salads.

The main course was fish shaped like stars using cookie cutters on the plates of the little ones. It was a hit! There was also a game where the kids had to walk the plank , competing who could balance the longest without falling off - great fun and healthy entertainment!

The meals were served with "ocean blue" colored drinks, which the children loved. A great success and lots of fun for the entire family!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu