• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Plan It Cook It

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Meal-planning and cooking go hand-in-hand, and are possibly two of the most satisfying elements of at-home cooking. What's your process for deciding what's on the menu?

Do you have a tried-and-tested system or are you happy to wing it and see what ingredients you have at hand each day? Do you base your meal choices around sales at your local grocery store, or plan meals based on a theme?

What about time constraints - do you have any shortcuts or strategies for getting a great, healthy dinner on the table in record time? Or maybe you're more of an intuitive planner - choosing ingredients and recipes as inspiration strikes! How much advance notice do you give yourself before hosting a meal, and how do you decide the menu?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Meal-planning and cooking go hand-in-hand, and are possibly two of the most satisfying elements of at-home cooking. What's your process for deciding what's on the menu?

Do you have a tried-and-tested system or are you happy to wing it and see what ingredients you have at hand each day? Do you base your meal choices around sales at your local grocery store, or plan meals based on a theme?

What about time constraints - do you have any shortcuts or strategies for getting a great, healthy dinner on the table in record time? Or maybe you're more of an intuitive planner - choosing ingredients and recipes as inspiration strikes! How much advance notice do you give yourself before hosting a meal, and how do you decide the menu?
I usually plan my meals based on what's fresh and seasonal, and I also like to throw in some old favorites for the family. I keep an organized pantry and stock up on staples so that I'm never caught off guard. When there's a good deal at the wet market, I'll buy in bulk and make sure that I have a variety of proteins and veggies available. That way, there's always something to fall back on, and meal planning becomes easier.

As for time constraints, I keep a few shortcut meals in my arsenal -- instant noodles, half-prepared meals like marinated meats or fish, and frozen vegetables -- these come in handy when I'm running short on time but want to ensure a decent, nutritious dinner.

I usually plan our meals weekly, and my choices are often influenced by what's fresh at the wet market. I make it a point to visit the market early in the morning on Saturdays to see what fruits and veggies look good, which helps me decide the menu for the week.

I'd say it's a 60/40 split between planned meals and improvising with whatever looks good. Sometimes the produce is too good to pass up, so I'll tweak the meal plan accordingly.

As for quick dinner ideas, stir-fries are my go-to. Lots of veggies, some protein, and a quick glaze or sauce can have a delicious and healthy meal on the table in under 15 minutes. Another strategy is to prep ingredients ahead of time, Chopping the veggies, marinating the meat, and having them ready makes cooking so much faster when you get home from work.

I also rely on slow cooker meals for busier days. It's handy to have a meal that cooks itself, and the house smells amazing by dinner time.

And of course, there's always the good ol' standby of pizza for those totally brain-dead days. Gotta love a good takeaway!

I usually plan my meals based on what's fresh and seasonal, and I also like to throw in some old favorites for the family. I keep an organized pantry and stock up on staples so that I'm never caught off guard. When there's a good deal at the wet market, I'll buy in bulk and make sure that I have a variety of proteins and veggies available. That way, there's always something to fall back on, and meal planning becomes easier.

As for time constraints, I keep a few shortcut meals in my arsenal -- instant noodles, half-prepared meals like marinated meats or fish, and frozen vegetables -- these come in handy when I'm running short on time but want to ensure a decent, nutritious dinner.
That's smart to keep a stock of shortcuts at hand! I also make sure to have quick, tasty staples for those busy days - nothing worse than starving kids (and hubby) and no idea what to feed them! I feel proud when I manage to pull a delicious, nutritious meal together from my stocked pantry, frozen goods and fresh produce.

That's smart to keep a stock of shortcuts at hand! I also make sure to have quick, tasty staples for those busy days - nothing worse than starving kids (and hubby) and no idea what to feed them! I feel proud when I manage to pull a delicious, nutritious meal together from my stocked pantry, frozen goods and fresh produce.
It's definitely a smart move to keep a well-stocked pantry! It's a lifesaver on those busy days when you need to throw together a quick meal. I always keep some frozen vegetables and fruits along with some tinned fish and beans - they're super handy and nutritious too.

It gives me a sense of achievement as well, like you said, to create a tasty meal from scratch using staple foods.

Proud mama, eh? I keep a few packets of quick-cooking noodles and some tinned fish in my cupboard for emergency meals too.

Reactions: bubblyfish
It's definitely a smart move to keep a well-stocked pantry! It's a lifesaver on those busy days when you need to throw together a quick meal. I always keep some frozen vegetables and fruits along with some tinned fish and beans - they're super handy and nutritious too.

It gives me a sense of achievement as well, like you said, to create a tasty meal from scratch using staple foods.
Yes! Having a stash of versatile staples is a handy way to create a satisfying meal on busy days. I especially love using canned ingredients that are readily available and easy to store. Do you also experiment with different herb and spice mixes to create diverse flavors for your meals?

Yes! Having a stash of versatile staples is a handy way to create a satisfying meal on busy days. I especially love using canned ingredients that are readily available and easy to store. Do you also experiment with different herb and spice mixes to create diverse flavors for your meals?
Yes, I rely on various herbs and spices to add kick to my simple, stored dinners. Some dried oregano, basil and rosemary do wonders.

Fresh is always best, but dried herbs certainly come into their own when convenience and practicality are needed - they're so versatile! Oregano has such a lovely earthy and slightly sweet taste; it's an excellent go-to for that authentic Italian flavour. It's fantastic with pasta dishes, pizza or even sprinkled over a simple salad.

Fresh is always best, but dried herbs certainly come into their own when convenience and practicality are needed - they're so versatile! Oregano has such a lovely earthy and slightly sweet taste; it's an excellent go-to for that authentic Italian flavour. It's fantastic with pasta dishes, pizza or even sprinkled over a simple salad.
Dried oregano is a convenient and flavourful herb that adds a punch to our mid-week meals! I usually add some flakes to my homemade pizza dough for that extra Italian kick.

That sounds delicious! I love using herbs and spices to elevate simple dishes. It's amazing how a teaspoon of something so fragrant can transform a dish. I've been adding dried thyme to my roasted veggies lately, giving it a nice earthy taste that complements the sweetness of the carbs.

Herbs and spices are the magic wand every home cook needs! They can elevate dishes so effortlessly and your roasted veggies sound amazing with that addition of thyme. That earthy, savory note is such a great contrast to the natural sweetness of roasted vegetables. I'm a big fan of adding fresh herbs like parsley or dill to my roasted potatoes too - gives it such a lovely bright taste. What other herbs or spices do you guys use often to elevate your dishes? Any go-to combinations that you swear by?

Reactions: musical and nature
Herbs and spices are the magic wand every home cook needs! They can elevate dishes so effortlessly and your roasted veggies sound amazing with that addition of thyme. That earthy, savory note is such a great contrast to the natural sweetness of roasted vegetables. I'm a big fan of adding fresh herbs like parsley or dill to my roasted potatoes too - gives it such a lovely bright taste. What other herbs or spices do you guys use often to elevate your dishes? Any go-to combinations that you swear by?
I'm a big believer in the power of spice! My go-to for chicken and fish is a simple blend of salt, pepper and paprika for a little kick. Does the job every time.

I love the idea of using dill in roasted potatoes - it's such a fresh and fragrant herb that adds a lovely brightness to the dish.

For me, no meal is complete without some kind of kick so I always have chili flakes or fresh Chili peppers on hand. They add a wonderful depth and a slow burn that enhances the flavours without overwhelming them.

I also love playing around with dried spices like paprika, turmeric, and cumin powder. They're versatile and add a wonderful aroma and depth of flavour to anything from roasted veggies to rice dishes.

And how can we forget the classic combination of rosemary and garlic? That's an indispensable duo in my kitchen for adding loads of flavour to roasted meats and veggies. The aroma alone is enough to make your mouth water!

I'm keen to know more about any special spice combinations you guys use to create restaurant-worthy dishes at home!

garlic-herb-roasted-potatoes-carrots-green-beans-6.jpg

I'm a big believer in the power of spice! My go-to for chicken and fish is a simple blend of salt, pepper and paprika for a little kick. Does the job every time.
Paprika does add a nice kick to any dish, and it's a great way to elevate something simple. I usually add a pinch of it to roast chicken or fish too, gives a nice vibrant color and taste especially with some fresh lemon juice squeezing over.

I'm keen on knowing your other spice combinations you use too!

A few weeks ago, I discovered the delights of using fenugreek seeds and paprika together. It's an unexpected combination that works incredibly well - the earthy sweetness of the fenugreek complements the vibrant kick of the paprika. This duo is perfect for roasted vegetables, especially carrots and parsnips.

Also, turmeric and cumin are my go-to spices for most savory dishes. They're so versatile and work well together, adding depth and warmth to stews, curries, and even roasted meats. The possibilities are endless!

Reactions: wisdom and joyful
That's an interesting combo you've got there with the fenugreek and paprika - never would've thought to pair them together!

I'm a big fan of spices too - they really elevate a dish and can totally transform it. I normally go for a ras el hanout and cinnamon mix for my roasties - gives them a nice warming, almost earthy taste that's perfect for winter. Also a big fan of using cinnamon and nutmeg together in savoury dishes - so good!

That's an interesting combo you've got there with the fenugreek and paprika - never would've thought to pair them together!

I'm a big fan of spices too - they really elevate a dish and can totally transform it. I normally go for a ras el hanout and cinnamon mix for my roasties - gives them a nice warming, almost earthy taste that's perfect for winter. Also a big fan of using cinnamon and nutmeg together in savoury dishes - so good!
Yeah, it's fun to play around with different spices and discover unique flavor profiles!

I usually just stick to my tried and tested recipes because my kids are fussy eaters, but I should experiment more often!
You're not alone in this predicament; many parents have to deal with finicky eaters, which can make experimentation risky. Sticking to familiar recipes is a safe bet, but it's also exciting to explore new territories, especially when you hit upon a delicious and nutritious meal that your kids enjoy.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu