• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting With Education

You're spot on about laughter being a great educational tool. Besides providing fun times, it also prepares kids for social situations and fosters emotional intelligence. They learn about give-and-take conversations, eye contact and understanding others' perspectives - all while having fun and bonding with their folks! It's a win-win.
That's true! It's an important skill to cultivate in this fast-paced world where face-to-face communication is slowly being replaced by technology. We as parents need to ensure that our children are equipped with the right social skills and emotional intelligence to navigate their relationships effectively.

That's true! It's an important skill to cultivate in this fast-paced world where face-to-face communication is slowly being replaced by technology. We as parents need to ensure that our children are equipped with the right social skills and emotional intelligence to navigate their relationships effectively.
Absolutely! It's wonderful how we can now deliberately cultivate these skills in our kids. There was less awareness of 'soft skills' when I was growing up, and it was hit-and-miss whether one developed them naturally or not.

nowadays, we're more conscious of the importance of emotions and social graces, and parents can specifically encourage and model these behaviors for their children. It's a great time to be parenting!

Do you think there should also be a focus on helping our kids develop resilience and grit? After all, life will throw many challenges their way, and I want my child to persevere and not give up easily.

Absolutely! It's wonderful how we can now deliberately cultivate these skills in our kids. There was less awareness of 'soft skills' when I was growing up, and it was hit-and-miss whether one developed them naturally or not.

nowadays, we're more conscious of the importance of emotions and social graces, and parents can specifically encourage and model these behaviors for their children. It's a great time to be parenting!

Do you think there should also be a focus on helping our kids develop resilience and grit? After all, life will throw many challenges their way, and I want my child to persevere and not give up easily.
You're right; fostering resilience and grit is crucial! It's about teaching our children how to embrace challenges, adapt, and keep going. This skill will serve them well throughout life's ups and downs. We can expose our kids to moderate challenges and model proactive problem-solving, helping them develop the mindset that setbacks are surmountable.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
You're right; fostering resilience and grit is crucial! It's about teaching our children how to embrace challenges, adapt, and keep going. This skill will serve them well throughout life's ups and downs. We can expose our kids to moderate challenges and model proactive problem-solving, helping them develop the mindset that setbacks are surmountable.
I agree with you totally! We don't want our kids to give up at the first sign of adversity and definitely want them to be hardy and resilient.

It's a delicate balance because we also don't want them to think they have to do everything alone and be superwoman/man. It's important that alongside grit, we also instill an awareness of when to reach out for help and access support, so they understand that asking for assistance is not a sign of weakness.

Modelling that behaviour is key, isn't it? showing our children how we as parents navigate set-backs and challenges, and how we seek help when needed, demonstrates a healthy approach to adversity.

What other strategies do you think there are to raise well-rounded, emotionally intelligent kids with grit?

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
I agree with you totally! We don't want our kids to give up at the first sign of adversity and definitely want them to be hardy and resilient.

It's a delicate balance because we also don't want them to think they have to do everything alone and be superwoman/man. It's important that alongside grit, we also instill an awareness of when to reach out for help and access support, so they understand that asking for assistance is not a sign of weakness.

Modelling that behaviour is key, isn't it? showing our children how we as parents navigate set-backs and challenges, and how we seek help when needed, demonstrates a healthy approach to adversity.

What other strategies do you think there are to raise well-rounded, emotionally intelligent kids with grit?
Emphasizing the importance of self-care and mindfulness might be a good strategy. Teaching children relaxation techniques, simple meditation or deep breathing exercises can help them calm their mind when stressed, and over time, develop mental resilience.

We can also encourage our kids to seek solutions creatively by fostering their imagination. Sometimes, thinking outside the box can help them navigate problems and come up with innovative solutions, which is an important skill in itself!

Emphasizing the importance of self-care and mindfulness might be a good strategy. Teaching children relaxation techniques, simple meditation or deep breathing exercises can help them calm their mind when stressed, and over time, develop mental resilience.

We can also encourage our kids to seek solutions creatively by fostering their imagination. Sometimes, thinking outside the box can help them navigate problems and come up with innovative solutions, which is an important skill in itself!
Definitely agree that teaching mindfulness and self-care is a great way to build mental resilience. It's amazing how effective simple breathing exercises can be in helping kids calm down and gain focus. It's a great tool to have in their kit when facing challenges.

Fostering their imagination and creativity is an excellent point too. Encouraging kids to think outside the box can help them problem-solve and also develops their critical thinking skills. We can't always prepare them for every situation, so equipping them with the skill to think on their feet is so important.

I suppose we also need to instil a sense of confidence in our kids - that they are capable and have the skills to figure things out, encouraging an 'I can do it' mindset from a young age. This might help them be more intrepid when facing new or challenging situations.

What else? Do you think there's value in also teaching them about different emotional responses and giving them a vocabulary for their feelings? That might help them process and manage emotions better, especially the more negative ones.

I'm happy to join this thoughtful parenting thread!

Yup, parenting sure is a juggle man, especially when we wanna do our best for our lil ones' holistic growth and also manage our other commitments. But it's heartening to know that we're not alone in this journey - we can learn from each other's experiences and insights!

I believe in the power of education as a tool to help our kids develop and grow, not just academically but also in character and skills. Looking forward to exchanging ideas on effective parenting strategies rooted in education and hearing everyone's stories!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Most of us are doing our best in this balancing act. We want the best for our little ones but have to manage our own lives too. It’s such a relief when we discover other parents have figured out some effective hacks through experience! We can learn so much from each other and it's reassuring to know we're not alone in facing these challenges.

This parenting lark sure does keep life interesting - you never know what's around the corner!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu