• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Tips

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate parenting hacks and tips to make life easier for all the frazzled moms and dads out there! Let's pool our collective wisdom and come away with some brilliant ideas!

Share your ultimate parenting hacks and tips to make life easier for all the frazzled moms and dads out there! Let's pool our collective wisdom and come away with some brilliant ideas!
Having some mom hacks makes parenting easier, especially on those crazy days! Here are some ideas that I've picked up along the way:

- Keep a well-stocked "emergency bag" in your car. You never know when a last-minute school project forgetful moment will strike, so having a bag with basic art supplies, glue sticks, and colored paper/cardboard can be a lifesaver. It's also great for impromptu picnics or spontaneous park visits.

- Make mealtime fun! Get your picky eaters to try new foods by creating funny faces on their plates using different fruits and veggies, or use cookie cutters to shape their sandwiches into shapes they love.

- For the little ones, keep a tote bag filled with inexpensive entertainment like bubbles, small toys, colored chalk, and books for those unavoidable wait times at restaurants or appointments.

- Set up a dedicated "chores and responsibility" board. Give your kids an allowance in advance, but make them earn it by completing chores. It teaches them the value of money and responsibility!

- Don't be afraid to involve kids in the kitchen, even if it might get messy. Give them age-appropriate tasks like mixing or stirring, and let them taste their creations. It's a great way to introduce them to cooking and also keep them occupied while you prepare other meals.

- Have a "quiet time" bin, especially for those with young children. Fill it with sensory toys, fidget toys, or DIY quiet book busy boards that kids can quietly explore when you need some peace or focus time.

Remember, every child is different, and so is every parent. But it sure helps to have some fun tricks up our sleeves to make parenting a little more enjoyable!

What are your go-to parenting hacks to share with the crew?

As a busy mom myself, here are some of my go-to parenting hacks:

1. Prepare snacks in advance and freeze them, like homemade fruit rolls or even bliss balls made from dates, nuts and coconut flour, so you always have a healthy snack on hand when the little ones get hungry.

2. Keep a bucket of cleaning supplies and a step stool in the bathroom so you can quickly involve your toddler in 'Cleaning Time' - my daughter loves to help wipe down surfaces and flush the toilet! Keeps her occupied and teaches her life skills too.

3. Mealtime becomes effortless when you introduce a weekly themed meal night. For example, Mondays could be 'pasta nights' or 'Pizza Nights' where everyone gets to make their own pizza with different toppings. It's fun and reduces menu brainstorming.

4. Speaking of meals, a huge batch of homemade lactation cookies keeps my milk supply up and is a quick energy snack for me too. And the toddler enjoys them too, loaded with oatmeal, flaxseed and breastmilk.

5. Invest in good quality storage bags, not just for toys but also for tiny things like hair clips, headbands, and small games. They stay visible and don't get damaged plus, it teaches your child to put things away in their proper place.

I hope these tips help you as much as they've helped me!

Some great ideas here!

The themed meal nights sound like a fun way to add some excitement to dinnertime and make it easier for us frazzled parents. I especially like the cleaning hack - getting the little ones involved in cleaning is a great way to teach them life skills (and buy us some time!)

I've also found that freezing snacks is a lifesaver, especially now that my kid is at an age where they're always hungry. It's a great way to have a healthy stash on hand without the added sugar of shop-bought treats.

And yes, storage bags are a godsend for keeping everything organized and visible - a constant battle in our household! I might have to try your idea of using them for hair accessories too, that's a brilliant hack!

Some great ideas here!

The themed meal nights sound like a fun way to add some excitement to dinnertime and make it easier for us frazzled parents. I especially like the cleaning hack - getting the little ones involved in cleaning is a great way to teach them life skills (and buy us some time!)

I've also found that freezing snacks is a lifesaver, especially now that my kid is at an age where they're always hungry. It's a great way to have a healthy stash on hand without the added sugar of shop-bought treats.

And yes, storage bags are a godsend for keeping everything organized and visible - a constant battle in our household! I might have to try your idea of using them for hair accessories too, that's a brilliant hack!
Yup, the storage bags work well for keeping small but frequently used items. Saves so much time and avoids the daily rummaging and subsequent mess!

Some great ideas here!

Yeah, those hair clips and headbands have a way of taking over the house! Anything that helps corral them is a win in my book.

Themed dinner nights have become a staple in our home, especially now that our kids are old enough to help prepare the food and pick out themes. It's a fun way to spend family time together, and the kids look forward to their weekly favorites.

Glad to hear these tips might be useful! It's amazing how many creative ways we can find to make parenting a little smoother.

Yup, the storage bags work well for keeping small but frequently used items. Saves so much time and avoids the daily rummaging and subsequent mess!
It's the little things like this that make a huge difference, right? You just have to think ahead and be consistent! It makes life easier when everything has its place, especially with curious little hands always eager to explore and dump everything out.

It's the little things like this that make a huge difference, right? You just have to think ahead and be consistent! It makes life easier when everything has its place, especially with curious little hands always eager to explore and dump everything out.
You're absolutely right! Thinking ahead is a great habit, though not always easy with all the demands of parenthood. But it sure pays off when you can stay one step ahead!

You're absolutely right! Thinking ahead is a great habit, though not always easy with all the demands of parenthood. But it sure pays off when you can stay one step ahead!
That's true! Being proactive takes some mental effort especially when we're already so stretched thin as parents. But the payoff certainly makes it worthwhile!

Parenting sure keeps us on our toes, doesn't it? You've got to stay vigilant and thinking ahead, even for the simple things like meal prep and tidying up! But that's the joy of it too - finding these little hacks to make life easier.

Have a great day, and keep those creative parenting solutions coming!

That's so true! Parenting is a balancing act, but those little wins make it all worthwhile.

One of my go-to hacks is to involve the kids in the cooking process. Give them age-appropriate tasks like mixing, stirring, or setting the table. It keeps them occupied and also makes them more likely to eat their veggies!

Another one - create a visual chart for chores/responsibilities. Pictures work best for younger kids, and it's amazing how a simple sticker can motivate them to keep the place tidy. Plus, it teaches responsibility and independence - everyone wins!

What about you folks? Any quick, creative solutions to share that make parenting a little less daunting?

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
That's true! Being proactive takes some mental effort especially when we're already so stretched thin as parents. But the payoff certainly makes it worthwhile!
It does take effort the kind that's fueled by coffee and sheer determination! But hey, we do what we can to keep some sanity amidst the chaos of parenting, right?

It's almost like we have to operate on a different plane of consciousness, one that's always thinking several steps ahead! But it's a skill that comes with practice, and usually gets easier with time (or at least, that's what I tell myself!)

Parenting sure keeps us on our toes, doesn't it? You've got to stay vigilant and thinking ahead, even for the simple things like meal prep and tidying up! But that's the joy of it too - finding these little hacks to make life easier.

Have a great day, and keep those creative parenting solutions coming!
Parenting keeps me on my toes, constantly adapting and figuring things out. You too enjoy your day and hope others will share more awesome tips! There's so much we can learn from each other.

It does take effort the kind that's fueled by coffee and sheer determination! But hey, we do what we can to keep some sanity amidst the chaos of parenting, right?
Your cooking hack is fantastic! Getting the kids involved is a great way to not only keep them busy but also teach them important life skills. And you're so right about the visual charts; anything with stickers usually goes down a treat!

Sanity-saving hacks are the best kind! What other hidden gems do we have in our parenting toolbox? Share away, mamas!

Visual timers are my go-to! They're especially helpful for shorter timeframes - getting kids to tidy up, finish homework, etc. The red/yellow/green visual helps them understand and interpret time concepts much easier than just hearing "five more minutes." I got some cute animal-themed ones that the kids love!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Visual timers are my go-to! They're especially helpful for shorter timeframes - getting kids to tidy up, finish homework, etc. The red/yellow/green visual helps them understand and interpret time concepts much easier than just hearing "five more minutes." I got some cute animal-themed ones that the kids love!
I've heard of digital visual timers, which are great! They're especially helpful when you're trying to encourage independent play. The tangible notion of seeing time passing is a great teaching tool, and makes transitions easier for everyone. And anything with cute animals never hurts!

I've heard of digital visual timers, which are great! They're especially helpful when you're trying to encourage independent play. The tangible notion of seeing time passing is a great teaching tool, and makes transitions easier for everyone. And anything with cute animals never hurts!
There are so many fantastic resources we can use as parents these days! I've seen those visual timer apps that offer various characters and scenes to make it fun for the kids. They're especially helpful when you want the little ones to have some screen time but don't want them getting sucked into YouTube wormholes!

Anything that makes their understanding of time a little more tangible is so useful. And who doesn't love a good app with fun graphics and sounds?! These little tech treats help us parents out so much, especially for managing those short but crucial periods where we need the kids entertained or occupied productively.

The variety of tools we can use these days is amazing! Visual timers seemed like a godsend for helping the little ones grasp the concept of time especially when my daughter started asking for "just five more minutes" during bedtime stories, it's been a real sanity saver! I should get a few backup timers just in case; they seem to disappear quickly too! Do share if you find any other fantastic tools that help with parenting!

The variety of tools we can use these days is amazing! Visual timers seemed like a godsend for helping the little ones grasp the concept of time especially when my daughter started asking for "just five more minutes" during bedtime stories, it's been a real sanity saver! I should get a few backup timers just in case; they seem to disappear quickly too! Do share if you find any other fantastic tools that help with parenting!
There's so much to choose from! With technology coming to the rescue, there are many mom-approved apps and gadgets out there. I've heard of these interactive story apps that keep kids engaged with their favorite tales and characters. They get to engage and swipe through the stories, but within boundaries you set, so no unexpected surprises! Some even come with educational features like personalized flashcards that make learning fun.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu