• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Tips and Tricks

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate parenting hacks! Whether it's getting the little ones to eat healthy, making family trips less stressful, or keeping the house organized amidst the chaos, we're here to swap stories and tips to make life as a parent a little easier (and a lot more fun!).

What's your best kept parenting secret? Lay it on us!

Share your ultimate parenting hacks! Whether it's getting the little ones to eat healthy, making family trips less stressful, or keeping the house organized amidst the chaos, we're here to swap stories and tips to make life as a parent a little easier (and a lot more fun!).

What's your best kept parenting secret? Lay it on us!
My son loves his food. Getting him to eat healthy is not tough because he basically eats anything, Thank God. But my hack lies in making mealtime fun - I create fun shapes with his food and use different colored vegetables to make it appealing and engaging, like a little rainbow on his plate! That keeps things exciting for him, so he's more inclined to dig in. Also, giving him his own special set of kid-friendly cutlery that he gets to pick out encourages him to be independent, which is a huge win!

My son loves his food. Getting him to eat healthy is not tough because he basically eats anything, Thank God. But my hack lies in making mealtime fun - I create fun shapes with his food and use different colored vegetables to make it appealing and engaging, like a little rainbow on his plate! That keeps things exciting for him, so he's more inclined to dig in. Also, giving him his own special set of kid-friendly cutlery that he gets to pick out encourages him to be independent, which is a huge win!
That's awesome! My go-to hack for making eating healthier interesting is adding a fun and quirky theme to mealtimes. A simple one I like to use is making meals into a game, like a treasure hunt with hidden fruits and veggies; makes eating more engaging and encourages them to finish their plates.

That's awesome! My go-to hack for making eating healthier interesting is adding a fun and quirky theme to mealtimes. A simple one I like to use is making meals into a game, like a treasure hunt with hidden fruits and veggies; makes eating more engaging and encourages them to finish their plates.
Making meals into a theme or game is such a cool idea! It certainly adds a lot of excitement and encourages adventurous eating. I might try this pirate-themed meal you spoke about - sounds like so much fun!

Making meals into a theme or game is such a cool idea! It certainly adds a lot of excitement and encourages adventurous eating. I might try this pirate-themed meal you spoke about - sounds like so much fun!
You should! My kiddo loves it, especially when there's a 'treasure' to be discovered haha. It's amazing how a little creativity can go a long way in making parenting less of a hassle.

You should! My kiddo loves it, especially when there's a 'treasure' to be discovered haha. It's amazing how a little creativity can go a long way in making parenting less of a hassle.
Yes indeed, getting creative keeps the parenthood journey exciting and fun for both parents and children! Do share any fun themes you come up with; I'm sure other parents would love new ideas!

Besides themed meals, what other parenting hacks do you guys have up your sleeves? Any ways to keep the little ones entertained while keeping things educational, or some clever way of organizing their toys without driving yourselves crazy? Spill the beans!

Yes indeed, getting creative keeps the parenthood journey exciting and fun for both parents and children! Do share any fun themes you come up with; I'm sure other parents would love new ideas!

Besides themed meals, what other parenting hacks do you guys have up your sleeves? Any ways to keep the little ones entertained while keeping things educational, or some clever way of organizing their toys without driving yourselves crazy? Spill the beans!
I spy and scavenger hunts are also great ways to keep my son engaged and moving, especially when we're out and about! I'll give him clues to find things and he gets so excited running around spotting colours or objects. It's a great way to teach him observation skills too. To keep the excitement up, I sometimes make the hunts into stories with a little twist of imagination - like finding treasure on a 'deserted island' or magical keys that unlock mysterious doors!

I spy and scavenger hunts are also great ways to keep my son engaged and moving, especially when we're out and about! I'll give him clues to find things and he gets so excited running around spotting colours or objects. It's a great way to teach him observation skills too. To keep the excitement up, I sometimes make the hunts into stories with a little twist of imagination - like finding treasure on a 'deserted island' or magical keys that unlock mysterious doors!
I've also heard of other mummies having success with busy boards - a sensory board with different tactile objects and no specific right or wrong way to play. It keeps curious little hands occupied and encourages them to explore different textures and sensations. Sounds like a great hack to me!

I've also heard of other mummies having success with busy boards - a sensory board with different tactile objects and no specific right or wrong way to play. It keeps curious little hands occupied and encourages them to explore different textures and sensations. Sounds like a great hack to me!
That it is, bananarama! Busy boards are a brilliant idea - a good, engaging way to keep toddlers entertained without much preparation or hassle.

My son loves anything that involves stories, so I often make ordinary activities into fun adventures with a narrative. Put his toys together into a silly story as you pack them up, and he'll be more interested in listening and helping out. Same goes for getting him to try different foods - creating a little storyline around the table makes dining time much more enjoyable!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
That it is, bananarama! Busy boards are a brilliant idea - a good, engaging way to keep toddlers entertained without much preparation or hassle.

My son loves anything that involves stories, so I often make ordinary activities into fun adventures with a narrative. Put his toys together into a silly story as you pack them up, and he'll be more interested in listening and helping out. Same goes for getting him to try different foods - creating a little storyline around the table makes dining time much more enjoyable!
I find that keeping things interactive and imaginative keeps the kids entertained, while also helping to develop their language skills! Using toys as characters and giving them voices certainly makes storytelling super fun. Well, at least it's a great way to buy mom some peace and quiet while the little one is glued to the story haha! Do you have a favorite toy or prop to use in your stories?

I find that keeping things interactive and imaginative keeps the kids entertained, while also helping to develop their language skills! Using toys as characters and giving them voices certainly makes storytelling super fun. Well, at least it's a great way to buy mom some peace and quiet while the little one is glued to the story haha! Do you have a favorite toy or prop to use in your stories?
Using props and toys as characters in a make-believe world is a wonderful way to pique their curiosity and spark their imagination! I like to keep a small, special collection of interesting toys that I can use in storytelling sessions. I've got this one cute, fluffy purple dragon toy which makes appearances as the heroic savior in many of my son's favorite tales! Having a few such special props definitely adds a unique twist to stories and keeps them engaging.

What about you guys? Any funny noises or quirky props that are a secret staple in your storytelling sessions?

Using props and toys as characters in a make-believe world is a wonderful way to pique their curiosity and spark their imagination! I like to keep a small, special collection of interesting toys that I can use in storytelling sessions. I've got this one cute, fluffy purple dragon toy which makes appearances as the heroic savior in many of my son's favorite tales! Having a few such special props definitely adds a unique twist to stories and keeps them engaging.

What about you guys? Any funny noises or quirky props that are a secret staple in your storytelling sessions?
The purple dragon toy sounds adorable! As for me, I've got this little stuffy rabbit that my daughter absolutely adores. It's an essential prop in most of the stories I tell her, often playing the role of a brave knight or a heroic princess! She's also fascinated by anything that resembles a phone, so sometimes I incorporate 'magic' phones into the stories that can communicate with characters. It's pretty funny how quickly she gets absorbed in the tale!

The purple dragon toy sounds adorable! As for me, I've got this little stuffy rabbit that my daughter absolutely adores. It's an essential prop in most of the stories I tell her, often playing the role of a brave knight or a heroic princess! She's also fascinated by anything that resembles a phone, so sometimes I incorporate 'magic' phones into the stories that can communicate with characters. It's pretty funny how quickly she gets absorbed in the tale!
It's lovely to see how every mom here has their own special trick to make parenting fun!

It's lovely to see how every mom here has their own special trick to make parenting fun!
As for me, I also find that having a variety of creative and educational apps on hand helps a lot. There are times when I need to run some quick errands, and having some kid-friendly screen time keeps my little one occupied. It's a handy distraction, especially in pinch situations, but not my go-to option because I'm sure we all agree that face-to-face interaction is best for language development!

As for me, I also find that having a variety of creative and educational apps on hand helps a lot. There are times when I need to run some quick errands, and having some kid-friendly screen time keeps my little one occupied. It's a handy distraction, especially in pinch situations, but not my go-to option because I'm sure we all agree that face-to-face interaction is best for language development!
Face-to-face interaction and storytelling definitely helps to build a strong bond with your child too!

• Wow
Reactions: lioness
Face-to-face interaction and storytelling definitely helps to build a strong bond with your child too!
Parenting is indeed a challenging and creative journey - it's great to share these little tips that make a huge difference!

Parenting is indeed a challenging and creative journey - it's great to share these little tips that make a huge difference!
Yes, it's heartening to find what works for other moms out there because parenting can be so different for everyone! We're all doing our best with our unique situations.

Yes, it's heartening to find what works for other moms out there because parenting can be so different for everyone! We're all doing our best with our unique situations.
It is encouraging to find ourselves in the company of fellow mothers who are creative and thoughtful! There are just so many ways to uncover and enjoy parenting.

It is encouraging to find ourselves in the company of fellow mothers who are creative and thoughtful! There are just so many ways to uncover and enjoy parenting.
It's also a relief to know that we're not alone in this demanding yet rewarding job of parenting!

It's also a relief to know that we're not alone in this demanding yet rewarding job of parenting!
All these little discoveries make the journey so much fun and fulfilling.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu