• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Tips and Tricks

It's the little things that make parenting fulfilling - you're so right! Those stickers are like gold. Instant gratification for our little ones and it encourages them to keep up the good behaviour.

Keep those chores coming and soon enough they'll be old hats for the kids, especially when we turn them into fun challenges! It's amazing how a bit of friendly competition does the trick. But remember, we also have to catch them while they're young; got to shape their characters while their minds are like sponges!
True that! Stickers are like the ultimate reward for little ones and it's a cheap and effective way to encourage good behaviour too. We don't wanna be too heavy-handed with our parenting style, but throwing in some fun challenges will keep the kids engaged and motivated! And yes, catching them young is so important - shape 'em while they young, as they say!

True that! Stickers are like the ultimate reward for little ones and it's a cheap and effective way to encourage good behaviour too. We don't wanna be too heavy-handed with our parenting style, but throwing in some fun challenges will keep the kids engaged and motivated! And yes, catching them young is so important - shape 'em while they young, as they say!
Absolutely! Parenting is a nuanced game; we gotta keep things fresh or the kiddos might get bored of the same old tricks. Diversify their challenges and rewards is a good way to keep them on their toes!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Absolutely! Parenting is a nuanced game; we gotta keep things fresh or the kiddos might get bored of the same old tricks. Diversify their challenges and rewards is a good way to keep them on their toes!
You're bang on target! We don't want them to anticipate the rewards, so mixing things up keeps 'em guessing! Keeping them engaged is half the battle won, right? And making these little changes isn't too taxing, but can have great effects!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
You're bang on target! We don't want them to anticipate the rewards, so mixing things up keeps 'em guessing! Keeping them engaged is half the battle won, right? And making these little changes isn't too taxing, but can have great effects!
Yeah, it's a fun strategy and also effective! Keeps us on our toes too. We're also teaching them important life lessons this way - that sometimes we need to adapt and embrace change which is very much part and parcel of the real world outside. It's a win-win for sure!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Yup, I agree! A sincere 'thank you' and some high-fives show our little ones how much we appreciate their efforts. And oh, treating them to their favorite food is a super effective strategy too - tummy fills and heart feels happy!

Reactions: greenfingers
I feel you, parents! Here's an idea that might help keep the young ones entertained while learning some life skills too. How about we make chores a bit more fun and educational at the same time? Like giving your kids a little gardening kit and getting them to help out with planting some herbs or small vegetables, teaching them a thing or two about nature and also keeping them engaged in the process? You know, give them a sense of responsibility for their little plants and all. Might even encourage them to eat more veggies if they've grown them themselves hahaha!

I've found that getting my little ones to help out with simple cooking tasks is a great way to engage them and also sneak in some math and science lessons!

Measuring ingredients and following recipes helps them learn about precision and chemistry, and it's a fun, tangible way to learn about cause and effect. Plus, they're more likely to eat the food when they've had a hand in preparing it! We also make it a family affair, so it's a great bonding experience too. Everyone has their role, and it feels like we're running our own little restaurant!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
One thing that worked for me was making cleaning up a race against the clock. Give the kids a timer and turn tidying up into a fun competition. "Can you beat your own time?" makes it fun and creates a sense of accomplishment too. You could even have a weekly chart to keep track of everyone's timing - a visual motivator!

Another trick is turning eating healthy into a game, like making it a scavenger hunt. Find the most random vegetable hidden in the house or garden, prepare it in a fun way, and voilà, instant adventure and a healthy snack! It encourages adventurous eating and can even become a family bonding session. We've had some silly moments hunting for kale leaves like they're hidden treasures!

These are the little things that make parenting fun and keep the sanity intact - sharing is caring, so do share your wins too!

200.gif

If you want your children to eat their veggies without the usual fuss, a fun trick is to serve them with a funny name and a side of imagination!

For example, present the broccoli as little trees and let the kids decorate them with a favorite sauce or dip - they could 'water' their tree and watch it 'grow' after. Or call the carrots orange twisties and encourage them to twirl and eat without messy hands!

Anything that sparks their imagination and gives them a sense of play will win them over, even getting them to forget they're eating healthy veggies!

Gotta agree with the cooking idea, it’s a great way to engage the kids and teach them some life skills too. And you’re right about the bonus of getting them to eat their veggies - if they have a hand in preparing the meal, they’re more likely to try new things. I find giving them small, age-appropriate tasks helps build their confidence as well. Like simple slicing or mixing, and setting the table. We also make it a point to let each kid pick a special ingredient or dish they want to include in our weekly meals, gives them a sense of ownership and makes meal times more fun too!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
When giving responsibilities, I like to use the 'game-ification' method too! Giving specific targets or goals within a set time and creating some friendly competition among the kids really keeps things engaging and fun - and you'd be surprised how creative they get! The key is making sure everyone has an equal chance at 'winning,' so no one feels left out. This way, they look forward to helping out and ask me to organize these 'contests' often. It's a great way to keep the momentum going and secretly train the little ones to be proactive!

You guys seem to have it all figured out! The sticker reward system is a great idea - kids love that stuff and it's a good way to keep track of their progress too.

I think getting children involved early helps a lot - giving them little responsibilities like setting the table or keeping their toys organized. Then they feel all grown up and it becomes a habit! Also keeps them occupied so we parents can breathe a little. Haha!

It's nice to share these tips because every bit helps, really!

Yah, I totally agree! The whole idea is to keep things interesting. Kids these days are so savvy, so the usual tricks might not work after a while. Got to keep reinventing and thinking out of the box. And it's quite amazing how a simple sticker can create such joy and a sense of achievement! But yeah, keeping the parenting style light-hearted and fun is definitely a great way to raise motivated little humans. They will definitely appreciate it in the long run.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
I usually let my kids pick their own snacks, and it makes them feel so grown up! We also play this game where they're the bosses who own a restaurant. They come up with the most creative names for their "establishments," write menus, take orders, prepare the food, serve customers and collect payments. It teaches them so many essential skills and keeps them entertained for hours! And when they finally tire of being bosses, it's easy for me to convince them to help out in the actual cooking process - they become my little sous chefs!

I usually let my kids pick their own snacks, and it makes them feel so grown up! We also play this game where they're the bosses who own a restaurant. They come up with the most creative names for their "establishments," write menus, take orders, prepare the food, serve customers and collect payments. It teaches them so many essential skills and keeps them entertained for hours! And when they finally tire of being bosses, it's easy for me to convince them to help out in the actual cooking process - they become my little sous chefs!
Aiyo, that's a clever way to get the kids involved! Letting them pick their snacks and play pretend with the restaurant game sounds like fun. And it's so true about kids feeling all grown up when given some responsibility, haha! I've found that giving my little ones tiny chores like setting the table or mixing ingredients while cooking helps them feel included and proud of their contributions. It sneaks some life skills into their playtime, so it's a win-win! They get to help Mamaw/Yaya , and they learn too.

They won't suspect a thing if we keep changing up the rewards. It's a smart way to keep them on their toes. Plus, it doesn't hurt that these little surprises help with keeping everything fun and exciting! We don't want parenting to feel like a drag, so these little hacks are just what we need to stay sane and enjoy the ride too! Catching them young definitely makes things easier down the line, so parents gotta be on their A-game from the get-go!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yup, cooking’s a great way to engage the kids and keep them invested in what’s for dinner. You can also trick them into learning some geography or history by slipping in facts about where certain dishes or ingredients come from. Or slip in some art lessons too when they decorate the food with different toppings and decorations! And you’re so right about the bonding – it’s nice to have those special moments together as a family.

I know right, we're on the same page about those subtle yet impactful parenting wins! Keep those chores disguised as games coming - the kids will love the novelty and sense of achievement.

Speaking of which, one idea I've used is to create a little scavenger hunt around the house for my kids. Gives them an exciting mission and also helps me with some much-needed alone time while they're busy seeking the hidden clues! We could also tweak it to educate them on household items - like a treasure hunt with an educational twist! Just don't let them catch us calling it a trick, ha!

One thing I do is to create themes or role-play situations when doing chores. For instance, we could pretend that the broom is actually a magic wand and every time we say the special spell, it cleans up the mess extra fast! Or we could have a little fashion show after folding laundry, where each family member gets to showcase their favourite outfit. Makes the whole experience more fun and memorable!

Get the young ones to help out with cooking! It kills two birds with one stone - you get assistance and the kids stay occupied. Give the children simple tasks like mixing the batter or shaping the meat patties for burgers. Kids usually love tasks that involve shaping and molding things.

You could also involve them in the planning of meals. Give them options within a healthy snack range and let them decide what goes into their lunch box for school the next day. It empowers them and encourages healthier eating habits when they feel they have some control over their meals. Win-win situation!

Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu