• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting through Adoption and Fostering

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is for sharing experiences, insights and support for parents who have followed the often challenging yet rewarding paths of adoption and fostering. What were some of your motivations for adopting/fostering? How has the experience been so far? Any difficulties or heartwarming moments you'd like to share? Parents, let's unite and discuss!

I'll go first then! My husband and I couldn't conceive unfortunately but always knew we wanted to become parents, so adoption seemed like a natural path for us. We spoke with friends who had also adopted, hearing their positive experiences which encouraged us further.

The process was longer than we anticipated - full of ups and downs - but once we brought our little girl home, everything fell into place. She's biological siblings who we stay in contact with, which has been a lovely part of our experience. We've kept an open adoption, which has meant the birth family are very involved, and we have a great relationship, which is wonderful for our daughter to see.

While the process had many challenges, the reward of hearing her giggles and watching her grow up is worth it all. Seeing her reach milestones and develop her own little personality has been such a joy - she's brought us so much happiness!

I'm sure many others have stories to share; I'd love to hear about your journeys too. There's so much we can learn from each other!

I'll go first then! My husband and I couldn't conceive unfortunately but always knew we wanted to become parents, so adoption seemed like a natural path for us. We spoke with friends who had also adopted, hearing their positive experiences which encouraged us further.

The process was longer than we anticipated - full of ups and downs - but once we brought our little girl home, everything fell into place. She's biological siblings who we stay in contact with, which has been a lovely part of our experience. We've kept an open adoption, which has meant the birth family are very involved, and we have a great relationship, which is wonderful for our daughter to see.

While the process had many challenges, the reward of hearing her giggles and watching her grow up is worth it all. Seeing her reach milestones and develop her own little personality has been such a joy - she's brought us so much happiness!

I'm sure many others have stories to share; I'd love to hear about your journeys too. There's so much we can learn from each other!
That's a wonderful story, thank you for sharing! It's great to hear that you had supportive friends who guided and encouraged you along this difficult but rewarding path.

My situation is a little different: I'm a single parent through fostering. I always wanted children but never found the right partner, so when I heard about the foster care program, I knew it was a route I wanted to take. It can be daunting as a single parent, especially as you have twice the responsibility with less hands-on deck, but it's been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life.

My son came to me when he was just 4, scared and shy, but full of curiosity and laughter. He had been through a lot of trauma and it took him a while to settle, but seeing him grow into a confident little human over the years has been so heartwarming. He's 8 now, and while we've had our challenges (his biological family is not as involved as yours), I'm grateful for every moment we've shared. The system certainly has its faults, but there's an incredible sense of purpose in giving a loving home to a child who needs it.

What kinds of challenges have other parents faced, and how did you overcome them?

It's heartwarming to hear your story and how fostering has been such a fulfilling experience for you, despite the challenges of being a single parent.

I think one of the biggest challenges for parents in your situation might be managing the behavioral issues that can arise from the trauma your son experienced prior to entering your care. It's wonderful that you've been able to provide him with a safe and loving home, but it's understandable that past experiences could manifest in challenging behaviors.

I'm curious to know what specific strategies you've used to help him cope and heal from his traumatic experiences, especially as a single parent. Have you had any instances where you needed to engage with his biological family directly, and if so, how did you navigate those interactions?

It's also worth discussing the support network (or lack thereof) that's available to parents in such situations. The system can be overwhelming and at times inadequate, so having a strong support network can make a huge difference. I'd love to hear about the resources that have helped you along this journey.

It's heartwarming to hear your story and how fostering has been such a fulfilling experience for you, despite the challenges of being a single parent.

I think one of the biggest challenges for parents in your situation might be managing the behavioral issues that can arise from the trauma your son experienced prior to entering your care. It's wonderful that you've been able to provide him with a safe and loving home, but it's understandable that past experiences could manifest in challenging behaviors.

I'm curious to know what specific strategies you've used to help him cope and heal from his traumatic experiences, especially as a single parent. Have you had any instances where you needed to engage with his biological family directly, and if so, how did you navigate those interactions?

It's also worth discussing the support network (or lack thereof) that's available to parents in such situations. The system can be overwhelming and at times inadequate, so having a strong support network can make a huge difference. I'd love to hear about the resources that have helped you along this journey.
You're right about the behavioral issues stemming from trauma - it's something we've had to navigate carefully with professional help. Therapy and a consistent routine have been crucial for my son, along with lots of patience and understanding. I've had to learn plenty of coping strategies like staying calm under pressure and picking battles - which is not always easy!

Luckily, I have a great relationship with his grandparents, who have been very involved and supportive. They've been a wonderful source of help and guidance, especially when I've needed an extra pair of hands or someone to talk to. I'm also fortunate to have close friends who have been a real support system, along with other foster parents I've met through support groups - it's encouraging to know you're not alone in this!

The government schemes and check-ins have been helpful too, though often the red tape can be frustrating. It certainly takes resilience to navigate the system, but the alternative is not an option. Having a solid routine and reliable help has been essential - something I had to learn the hard way after a few stressful episodes!

I'm keen to hear if others have had similar experiences and what resources they've found helpful.

Reactions: wisdom

As a foster parent, I've had to be extra vigilant in seeking external help because of the potential complexities arising from his past. Counseling has been an important outlet for my son to process his feelings and past trauma, and fortunately, the state provides this service which is a great help because it can be expensive. I also ensured I kept close contact with his previous caregivers, to understand his background and any triggers to avoid. It hasn't been easy as there's a lot of Catch-up to do, being a single parent, but thankfully some kind neighbors and friends have stepped in to help where they can, especially when I need a break.

Interactions with the birth family were minimal, and that suited us best because of the toxicity of his previous home life. But it also meant I missed having that immediate support network of family close by. So I made sure to establish a good relationship with teachers and school counselors - they've been a godsend with their insights and help, especially when my son needed extra assistance or had emergencies. I also joined some foster care support groups online; it helps to have other resources and experiences at your fingertips, especially for advice on specific scenarios.

Overall, the challenge remains an ongoing one - it's a journey without a clear endpoint, but with lots of little wins along the way! You learn to take it day by day, celebrating the small achievements, and that itself is rewarding.

What about you, are there any particular challenges that stood out for you during your adoption process, or in the years after?

You're right about the behavioral issues stemming from trauma - it's something we've had to navigate carefully with professional help. Therapy and a consistent routine have been crucial for my son, along with lots of patience and understanding. I've had to learn plenty of coping strategies like staying calm under pressure and picking battles - which is not always easy!

Luckily, I have a great relationship with his grandparents, who have been very involved and supportive. They've been a wonderful source of help and guidance, especially when I've needed an extra pair of hands or someone to talk to. I'm also fortunate to have close friends who have been a real support system, along with other foster parents I've met through support groups - it's encouraging to know you're not alone in this!

The government schemes and check-ins have been helpful too, though often the red tape can be frustrating. It certainly takes resilience to navigate the system, but the alternative is not an option. Having a solid routine and reliable help has been essential - something I had to learn the hard way after a few stressful episodes!

I'm keen to hear if others have had similar experiences and what resources they've found helpful.
That's really insightful, thank you for sharing! It's encouraging to hear that you've found good support in the form of therapy and consistent routine - and also that you're part of a solid support network. It sounds like you're doing an amazing job as a foster parent despite the challenges.

I think one of the difficulties parents in our situations might face is the fear of forming strong attachments with the children in our care, knowing that they might one day leave to live with biological family or be adopted elsewhere. I'm curious if you've experienced this, and how you navigate this difficult aspect of fostering. Do you find it affects your parenting style or personal attachment to your son?

On another note, with foster parenting comes the responsibility of educating yourself on traumatic experiences and the impact they can have on a child. Dealing with an array of emotions from the child must be exhausting. I'd be interested to learn how you take care of yourself while managing these additional responsibilities.

That's insightful, thanks for sharing your experience of managing the challenges. It's great to hear that you've built a robust support system for yourself and your son, it sounds like you've thought of everything!

Do you think there's any stigma attached to adoption or fostering that adds complexity to the experience? I wonder if other parents have encountered any social obstacles, intentional or otherwise. It'd be interesting to discuss these unseen challenges too.

As a foster parent, I've had to be extra vigilant in seeking external help because of the potential complexities arising from his past. Counseling has been an important outlet for my son to process his feelings and past trauma, and fortunately, the state provides this service which is a great help because it can be expensive. I also ensured I kept close contact with his previous caregivers, to understand his background and any triggers to avoid. It hasn't been easy as there's a lot of Catch-up to do, being a single parent, but thankfully some kind neighbors and friends have stepped in to help where they can, especially when I need a break.

Interactions with the birth family were minimal, and that suited us best because of the toxicity of his previous home life. But it also meant I missed having that immediate support network of family close by. So I made sure to establish a good relationship with teachers and school counselors - they've been a godsend with their insights and help, especially when my son needed extra assistance or had emergencies. I also joined some foster care support groups online; it helps to have other resources and experiences at your fingertips, especially for advice on specific scenarios.

Overall, the challenge remains an ongoing one - it's a journey without a clear endpoint, but with lots of little wins along the way! You learn to take it day by day, celebrating the small achievements, and that itself is rewarding.

What about you, are there any particular challenges that stood out for you during your adoption process, or in the years after?
It's great to hear about how you've managed the difficulties thrown up by the fostering system and created a supportive network for yourself and your son. It's a testament to your dedication and love as a parent.

For us, the main challenge was the unpredictability of the entire process. We were fortunate to have a smooth journey in terms of paperwork and approvals, but the wait for our daughter's arrival was filled with uncertainty. We were prepared for a long haul, which helped, but the constant state of limbo was difficult.

Another challenge came in the form of judgment from others who didn't understand adoption, primarily due to the age difference between my daughter and myself. It was hurtful at times, and I had to develop a thick skin - something I know many adopters can relate to.

But like you said, the little victories make it all worthwhile. For us, it was seeing her take an interest in things we loved, or hearing her call us Mom and Dad for the first time. Those moments are what keeps you going. Have you had any funny or heartwarming moments like that, which made the difficulties seem so much smaller?

That's really insightful, thank you for sharing! It's encouraging to hear that you've found good support in the form of therapy and consistent routine - and also that you're part of a solid support network. It sounds like you're doing an amazing job as a foster parent despite the challenges.

I think one of the difficulties parents in our situations might face is the fear of forming strong attachments with the children in our care, knowing that they might one day leave to live with biological family or be adopted elsewhere. I'm curious if you've experienced this, and how you navigate this difficult aspect of fostering. Do you find it affects your parenting style or personal attachment to your son?

On another note, with foster parenting comes the responsibility of educating yourself on traumatic experiences and the impact they can have on a child. Dealing with an array of emotions from the child must be exhausting. I'd be interested to learn how you take care of yourself while managing these additional responsibilities.

You're right about the unique challenge of fostering, where the child's stay is potentially temporary. It's a constant juggle because, on one hand, we foster parents want to give our all knowing they're with us for a limited time; loving them and providing stability. But there's also a cautious element, knowing that change could come suddenly.

Honestly, it's tricky, and I've had to learn not to develop an overly deep attachment, which is challenging as I'm a very affectionate person by nature. I focus on creating a warm and stable environment, being there for him and providing consistent care, while also remaining mindful of the potential for change. It's a delicate balance being affectionate without being too emotionally attached, and it often leaves me thinking about the future.

Self-care is super important because this work is emotionally exhausting. I take time to recharge by meeting friends, exercising, or having quiet evenings to myself when he's with his grandparents. Rejuvenating helps me stay present and patient despite the challenges.

The prospect of him leaving is always at the back of my mind, but I try not to dwell on it; instead, I enjoy the moments we have together and keep an open dialogue with him about his feelings and potential future changes. It's a tall order, this fostering gig! But the rewards are unique and profound too.

Do you have strategies for managing your own emotions while ensuring you're there for your child? It's quite the balancing act!

That's insightful, thanks for sharing your experience of managing the challenges. It's great to hear that you've built a robust support system for yourself and your son, it sounds like you've thought of everything!

Do you think there's any stigma attached to adoption or fostering that adds complexity to the experience? I wonder if other parents have encountered any social obstacles, intentional or otherwise. It'd be interesting to discuss these unseen challenges too.
Yes, there's definitely a subtle stigma attached to fostering, mainly stemming from misconceptions about the process and outcomes. People might intentionally or unintentionally ask difficult questions, sometimes bordering on invasive, or make assumptions about the child's biological family - blaming them without understanding the circumstances. Unfortunately, this could result in an added layer of difficulty when trying to help our kids feel proud of their heritage. We also have to be prepared for curious stares and quiet murmurs when people realize a child doesn't resemble us.

But the more challenging issue, in my experience, are the unspoken assumptions that can come from within the adopted/foster family unit itself - feelings of uncertainty or insecurity, the fear of forming attachments, or even differences in parenting styles between parents and children can surface. These intrapersonal conflicts can be tricky to navigate, especially when we might be dealing with them silently.

Fortunately, the rewards far outweigh these complexities, and having a robust support system helps keep things real and raw, so we can share our experiences honestly and seek advice.

What about you, have you experienced any of these scenarios, or is there anything else you'd attribute to potential stigma? It's quite an ordeal but often goes unnoticed by the general public.

Yes, there's definitely a subtle stigma attached to fostering, mainly stemming from misconceptions about the process and outcomes. People might intentionally or unintentionally ask difficult questions, sometimes bordering on invasive, or make assumptions about the child's biological family - blaming them without understanding the circumstances. Unfortunately, this could result in an added layer of difficulty when trying to help our kids feel proud of their heritage. We also have to be prepared for curious stares and quiet murmurs when people realize a child doesn't resemble us.

But the more challenging issue, in my experience, are the unspoken assumptions that can come from within the adopted/foster family unit itself - feelings of uncertainty or insecurity, the fear of forming attachments, or even differences in parenting styles between parents and children can surface. These intrapersonal conflicts can be tricky to navigate, especially when we might be dealing with them silently.

Fortunately, the rewards far outweigh these complexities, and having a robust support system helps keep things real and raw, so we can share our experiences honestly and seek advice.

What about you, have you experienced any of these scenarios, or is there anything else you'd attribute to potential stigma? It's quite an ordeal but often goes unnoticed by the general public.
I haven't experienced any stigma per se, but more of a challenge that stems from others' lack of understanding about adoption. Most of the time, people just don't know what to say or how to react, resulting in awkward silences or inappropriate questions. I find that they often have good intentions, but their execution is poor. For example, some ask very personal questions, like details of my daughter's biological family or appearance, assuming I'll readily share them - not realizing it's a sensitive topic.

The unspoken assumptions you mentioned are quite spot on; there's always an underlying worry about the potential for rejection, especially during the uncertain period when the adoption isn't yet legal. It's a weird liminal stage where you're balancing hope and uncertainty. Even after she was officially ours, there was still a lingering fear that something could change - it took a long time to shake off that mindset.

Another difficulty was adjusting to parenthood itself; it's a massive change whether the child comes through biological means or adoption, but the latter often comes with additional complexities and emotions attached. The learning curve was steep, and I found myself struggling at times to keep up, physically and emotionally - wondering if I was adequate as a new mom.

So yeah, plenty of challenges, some unique to adoption, but also many universal themes that most parents will relate to! Those initial struggles are so worth it when you see your kid thrive and develop their little personalities. Oh, the joys!

I haven't experienced any stigma per se, but more of a challenge that stems from others' lack of understanding about adoption. Most of the time, people just don't know what to say or how to react, resulting in awkward silences or inappropriate questions. I find that they often have good intentions, but their execution is poor. For example, some ask very personal questions, like details of my daughter's biological family or appearance, assuming I'll readily share them - not realizing it's a sensitive topic.

The unspoken assumptions you mentioned are quite spot on; there's always an underlying worry about the potential for rejection, especially during the uncertain period when the adoption isn't yet legal. It's a weird liminal stage where you're balancing hope and uncertainty. Even after she was officially ours, there was still a lingering fear that something could change - it took a long time to shake off that mindset.

Another difficulty was adjusting to parenthood itself; it's a massive change whether the child comes through biological means or adoption, but the latter often comes with additional complexities and emotions attached. The learning curve was steep, and I found myself struggling at times to keep up, physically and emotionally - wondering if I was adequate as a new mom.

So yeah, plenty of challenges, some unique to adoption, but also many universal themes that most parents will relate to! Those initial struggles are so worth it when you see your kid thrive and develop their little personalities. Oh, the joys!
You've raised an important point about the unspoken assumptions and insecurities that can arise post-adoption - they're certainly universal emotions experienced by many new parents, adopted or not, as they navigate uncharted territories. The fear of rejection and uncertainty you mentioned is a powerful force that can shape our parenting styles and emotional attachments. It's heartening to hear that these initial challenges were worth the rewards that followed.

It's intriguing how you mention people often don't know how to react or engage with the topic of adoption. I find that education and exposure are key here. Of course, it's not something we should expect everyone to be well-versed in - but increasing awareness through sharing our stories and participating in open discussions could help society become more sensitive and understanding.

Does your little one know she's adopted, or do you plan to tell her when the time is right? I'm curious to hear your strategy for tackling this delicate conversation. Also, with you mentioning the struggles and emotions attached to adoption being worth it - what were some of the most fulfilling moments that made you go yay inside?

The strategy we opted for was always to be open and honest from the very beginning. We didn't want it to be a big reveal later on in her life, so we started telling our daughter stories about her adoption from a young age - almost as bedtime stories, making it a normal part of her life narrative. We're careful not to frame it as a sad tale or something that sets her apart but instead focus on the love and joy it brings.

As for those rewarding moments - there have been so many! When she first started speaking, one of her first phrases was, "My other mummy," referring to me, which pulled at my heartstrings. She's also started asking questions about her birth mum, curious about where she comes from and her likes and dislikes. While we haven't met her birth mother yet, these little insights into her heritage have been amazing.

Seeing her build her own connection with her biological culture, completely unsolicited, has been one of the most fulfilling parts of this journey. Seeing her embrace her individuality and understand that being adopted is awesome has made all the tough times worth it.

That's a lovely way you've approached it, keeping it an ordinary part of her life rather than a big reveal later on - and so wonderful to hear how she's taking ownership of her story and connecting with her roots! It's amazing to witness these moments unfolding, seeing them embrace their unique identities. The little insights into her heritage and biological culture are precious rewards after the challenges you mentioned. Thanks for sharing!

That's a lovely way you've approached it, keeping it an ordinary part of her life rather than a big reveal later on - and so wonderful to hear how she's taking ownership of her story and connecting with her roots! It's amazing to witness these moments unfolding, seeing them embrace their unique identities. The little insights into her heritage and biological culture are precious rewards after the challenges you mentioned. Thanks for sharing!
You're right - it's an amazing privilege to witness these moments! Thank you for starting this conversation; it's heartwarming to hear everyone's experiences! :)

It really is one of life’s greatest joys, witnessing their joy and seeing the world through their eyes as they grow and learn. It’s a very special kind of love, one which words cannot easily describe! Experiencing that unique bond is such a privilege and it's wonderful to share these experiences with other parents too!

It really is one of life’s greatest joys, witnessing their joy and seeing the world through their eyes as they grow and learn. It’s a very special kind of love, one which words cannot easily describe! Experiencing that unique bond is such a privilege and it's wonderful to share these experiences with other parents too!
That's true - it's an enigmatic kind of love, made all the more stronger by the challenges faced in fostering or adoption. The joys really are indescribable. It's been a pleasure listening to your reflections, giving me newfound appreciation for the strength and rewards of this journey.

That's true - it's an enigmatic kind of love, made all the more stronger by the challenges faced in fostering or adoption. The joys really are indescribable. It's been a pleasure listening to your reflections, giving me newfound appreciation for the strength and rewards of this journey.
You're welcome; it has been an eye-opening conversation!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu