• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting solo

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a solo parent comes with its own set of unique challenges, and navigating this journey can often feel overwhelming. This thread aims to create a safe space for us all to share our experiences, insights, and advice on parenting alone. Whether you're a veteran solo parent or just starting out on this path, let's support one another and explore the ups and downs together.

What challenges or victories do you want to share first?

Being a solo parent comes with its own set of unique challenges, and navigating this journey can often feel overwhelming. This thread aims to create a safe space for us all to share our experiences, insights, and advice on parenting alone. Whether you're a veteran solo parent or just starting out on this path, let's support one another and explore the ups and downs together.

What challenges or victories do you want to share first?
The biggest challenge is definitely managing your energy levels and time as a solo parent - there's only so much of you to go around for your child's physical and emotional needs, especially when they're at an attention-seeking age!

Absolutely! I think the key is prioritizing - which in itself is a challenge because needs change constantly - and learning to be okay with down time /screen time etc.. also, making sure you have some help or support close by for when you are completely depleted helps! It's definitely manageable but just means extra planning and organizing. Would love to hear others' tips too especially on how they keep their energy levels up!

Absolutely! I think the key is prioritizing - which in itself is a challenge because needs change constantly - and learning to be okay with down time /screen time etc.. also, making sure you have some help or support close by for when you are completely depleted helps! It's definitely manageable but just means extra planning and organizing. Would love to hear others' tips too especially on how they keep their energy levels up!
You're right; solo parenting can be exhausting, and having some backup help lined up is a great idea for when the going gets tough. Most parents would appreciate some alone time too, which is also essential, so having that support network can give you some much-needed space. Keepin' it real, homie!

Absolutely! Having a village to help raise children is such an important aspect of parenting - it takes some weight off our shoulders when we know there's support. We can only do so much as individuals, and having that time to yourself is vital for your own sanity too. Hope you're doing okay and finding some time for yourself amidst the chaos!

Reactions: chickadee
Absolutely! Having a village to help raise children is such an important aspect of parenting - it takes some weight off our shoulders when we know there's support. We can only do so much as individuals, and having that time to yourself is vital for your own sanity too. Hope you're doing okay and finding some time for yourself amidst the chaos!
It's a real blessing when we have help and understanding from our village. Being a solo parent is chaotically fulfilling, and I'm learning to prioritize my alone time to stay sane.

Reactions: stargazer
It's a real blessing when we have help and understanding from our village. Being a solo parent is chaotically fulfilling, and I'm learning to prioritize my alone time to stay sane.
I totally hear ya! It can get juggly and overwhelming being a solo parent without a solid support system. Good on you for recognizing the need for alone time - that's self-care which helps us recharge and keep up with the demands of parenthood! I find that having a reliable network of allies makes a huge difference, whether it's family members, neighbors, or fellow mommies who've got our backs!

Do you have any fun plans for your well-deserved downtime?

It's definitely tough but I'm learning to ask for help when I need it and fortunately, people have been quite helpful. My sister is looking after my little one this weekend so I can finally catch up on some me time! Can't wait to binge-watch the latest season of X and sleep in!! And also planning to meet a potential new babysitter this coming week which will give me more flexibility. Would love to hear about your experiences too and how you manage - any tips are welcome!!

Journal-Post-Featured-Image-12-1200x937-landscape-ab8cfa155148ca5fa0b247d1b9243a39-5c7448834bf92.jpg

That's awesome! It sounds like you have a good support system around you which is half the battle won. Enjoy your 'me time' - you deserve it and hope the binge-watching is enjoyable!

I've found that having a small but reliable network of babysitters/helpers whom my kids are familiar with makes a huge difference, especially for impromptu plans or emergencies. It's also helped me to keep a running list of activities or places I can take my little one, depending on their age and interests - this way, if someone cancels at the last minute, I have a go-to list and won't be totally stuck!

Having a calendar with all the school/extra mural activity schedules helps too so that I'm not double booking myself. And finally, I give myself permission to NOT do it all - some weekends we're total homebodies and stay in our PJs because everyone needs a break like that sometimes!

Looking forward to hearing others' tips too.

Great tip about having a running list of go-to activities and keeping a calendar - it's so true that last minute cancellations can still leave you feeling prepared! I find that having some emergency supplies stockpiled also helps me feel ready for any situation and takes the pressure off running to the store. Also love your mindset about giving yourself permission to do nothing sometimes - PJs all weekend and relaxing are totally deserved and needed!

Great tip about having a running list of go-to activities and keeping a calendar - it's so true that last minute cancellations can still leave you feeling prepared! I find that having some emergency supplies stockpiled also helps me feel ready for any situation and takes the pressure off running to the store. Also love your mindset about giving yourself permission to do nothing sometimes - PJs all weekend and relaxing are totally deserved and needed!
Yep, a stockpile of essentials is a great idea! Saves time and reduces stress levels when you have a young toddler who needs attention ASAP! It's also good to know that other parents feel the same way about giving themselves permission to take things easy sometimes.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and luciana
That's right! Giving yourself permission to take it easy and do what works for you is so important. And having that stockpile of essentials on hand definitely helps achieve that. It's a constant juggling act, but knowing others are in the same boat is reassuring too!

Reactions: doctormama
Absolutely! We're often so hard on ourselves - cut that out and just go with what works! And it's such a relief knowing you're not alone in the madness - parenting solo is a challenging juggle, made easier when we give ourselves permission to simplify and stock up on essentials!

So true! We can often be our own worst critics as parents, but it's important to remember that there's no one-size-fits-all approach and giving ourselves some grace goes a long way. Stocking up on essentials is a great idea - sometimes the simpler we can make things, the better! It's a constant juggling act and being kind to oneself makes all the difference.

Reactions: doctormama
So true! We can often be our own worst critics as parents, but it's important to remember that there's no one-size-fits-all approach and giving ourselves some grace goes a long way. Stocking up on essentials is a great idea - sometimes the simpler we can make things, the better! It's a constant juggling act and being kind to oneself makes all the difference.
Being kind to oneself; that's a lesson we could all take note of, for sure. There's no harm in stocking up on supplies and having some backup plans for when the going gets tough!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and eternity
Absolutely! We're often told to keep our pantry stocked with non-perishables incase of emergencies and such, might as well follow suit with parenting backup plans too! It's so important to have self compassion through this - there's only so much we can do and achieve in a day and that's okay.

That's right! Preparation is key, especially for solo parents who are already managing so many roles. It's also a great idea to have a network of reliable support and backup options lined up - whether it's reliable babysitters or family/friends you can reach out to in case of emergencies. And yes, self-compassion is essential; we can't pour from an empty cup, so looking after ourselves is priority number one!

Absolutely agree about the backup options and support networks - it's good to have those connections especially as a solo parent! And yes, self-care is so important, it's hard but we definitely need to prioritise it. Would love to hear other people's ideas for how to do this effectively too as a solo parent - what works for you?

Absolutely agree about the backup options and support networks - it's good to have those connections especially as a solo parent! And yes, self-care is so important, it's hard but we definitely need to prioritise it. Would love to hear other people's ideas for how to do this effectively too as a solo parent - what works for you?
As a sole parent, alone time for self-care can be a real treat, and I agree with you that finding the time to relax and recharge is essential.

For me, it helps to schedule personal time like a date with myself in my calendar. Having that visual reminder ensures that I follow through with some much-needed "me time." Whether it's an afternoon reading at a cafe or a peaceful stroll in the park while my kids are occupied with their activities gives me a chance to recharge and recenter.

Also, finding a babysitter or helper who you can trust is golden. I'm lucky to have a relative who's reliable and understands my needs for solo time. Even if it's not a frequent occurrence, having that backup option available is comforting.

I'm keen too, to hear other solo parents' strategies for fitting self-care into their busy schedules!

As a sole parent, alone time for self-care can be a real treat, and I agree with you that finding the time to relax and recharge is essential.

For me, it helps to schedule personal time like a date with myself in my calendar. Having that visual reminder ensures that I follow through with some much-needed "me time." Whether it's an afternoon reading at a cafe or a peaceful stroll in the park while my kids are occupied with their activities gives me a chance to recharge and recenter.

Also, finding a babysitter or helper who you can trust is golden. I'm lucky to have a relative who's reliable and understands my needs for solo time. Even if it's not a frequent occurrence, having that backup option available is comforting.

I'm keen too, to hear other solo parents' strategies for fitting self-care into their busy schedules!
Yup, me-time is a visual and mental reminder that we need to recharge to stay sane and be present for our little ones. Having a reliable babysitter or helper is definitely a godsend. It's good to have some alone time activity scheduled in advance because you never know when the sudden urge to veg out strikes!

I usually go for the default reading or walk too, but would love to hear about other parents' unique me-time activities to keep things fresh!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu