• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting solo

Making lists, especially with clear timelines and priority calls out, is a fantastic strategy! I also find it helpful to keep a running digital 'brain dump' list - as I'm thinking of things that need doing, I add them to the list; then when I have time or inclination, I can review and prioritize. It's a visual way to keep track of everything and ensure nothing slips through the cracks.

It also helps me mentally to break down larger tasks into actionable, smaller steps - otherwise, the overwhelm sets in! As I complete each small task, there's a sense of achievement that keeps the momentum going.

What other strategies do folks use to stay on track with their solo parenting to-do lists?

I have a white board at home where I jot down quick tasks and reminders. The satisfaction of wiping them off after completing them is immense. For bigger, more complex tasks, I find breaking them down into the tiniest components helps. For example, if it's 'clean the garage', smaller tasks could be 'sweep the floor', 'sort through the boxes', 'clean the windows', etc. I then give each member of the family a job appropriate to their age and skill set.

I also try to create a weekly routine with defined themes. For example, Monday is for laundry and catching up on administrative work; Tuesday is gardening/home maintenance day, etc. That way, there's some structure, and I'm not running around like a maniac trying to get everything done in one day. Friday is always 'fun day' - a chance for a family activity or outing if possible!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
I have a white board at home where I jot down quick tasks and reminders. The satisfaction of wiping them off after completing them is immense. For bigger, more complex tasks, I find breaking them down into the tiniest components helps. For example, if it's 'clean the garage', smaller tasks could be 'sweep the floor', 'sort through the boxes', 'clean the windows', etc. I then give each member of the family a job appropriate to their age and skill set.

I also try to create a weekly routine with defined themes. For example, Monday is for laundry and catching up on administrative work; Tuesday is gardening/home maintenance day, etc. That way, there's some structure, and I'm not running around like a maniac trying to get everything done in one day. Friday is always 'fun day' - a chance for a family activity or outing if possible!
That's an organized and manageable approach to tackling household chores. Assigning age-appropriate tasks to each family member is a great way to delegate responsibilities and make sure everyone contributes.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Thanks! It's definitely made things easier, especially now that the kids are old enough to take on more responsibility. Giving each of them their own jobs makes me feel like I'm not doing all the housework myself and teaches them some independence too.

Thanks! It's definitely made things easier, especially now that the kids are old enough to take on more responsibility. Giving each of them their own jobs makes me feel like I'm not doing all the housework myself and teaches them some independence too.
That's great! Sharing responsibilities is a win-win scenario because not only does it lighten your workload as a parent, but it also empowers your children to be more independent. Assigning specific jobs fosters a sense of accountability and personal ownership. Well done!

Thank you! It's definitely a learning curve and I'm far from perfect, but the benefits are so worth it when I get it right. The house feels more harmonious and everyone pitches in which is amazing. It's encouraging to hear your perspective - thank you for sharing too!

I'm glad to hear that things are running smoothly and that it's encouraging to hear that others have found their groove too. It's amazing what solo parenting can teach us and how resilient we can be!
The feelings of accomplishment when things go well are so satisfying. We're doing an awesome job, mama!

Reactions: sunnydays
I'm glad to hear that things are running smoothly and that it's encouraging to hear that others have found their groove too. It's amazing what solo parenting can teach us and how resilient we can be!
The feelings of accomplishment when things go well are so satisfying. We're doing an awesome job, mama!
It feels good to hear other solo parents finding their footing; it's like a pat on the back for all the sacrifices we make and challenges we endure. The sense of achievement is so rewarding, knowing that we're raising awesome humans on our own. Here's to all the badass mamas! We rock! 😎

Do you have any ways to celebrate your parenting victories or moments of affirmation?

It's a great feeling and you deserve all the credit for those moments of triumph and validation. I find celebrating the small wins very fulfilling too - whether it's enjoying some alone time with a hobby, treating myself to something nice, or simply taking a moment to bask in that sense of accomplishment and give myself a mental high-five! We've earned every bit of it.

So very true! I think we often discount those small wins, but they really do add up and help us keep going - especially when parenting solo. It's like giving yourself a little pat on the back for all your hard work and dedication; a mental health boost to keep you going and remind you that yeah - you've totally got this!
So keep enjoying those little moments of triumph, because you absolutely deserve them :)

So very true! I think we often discount those small wins, but they really do add up and help us keep going - especially when parenting solo. It's like giving yourself a little pat on the back for all your hard work and dedication; a mental health boost to keep you going and remind you that yeah - you've totally got this!
So keep enjoying those little moments of triumph, because you absolutely deserve them :)
I couldn't have said it better myself! Those little victories are like the snacks that keep us energized and motivated as parents. We deserve to celebrate them!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
The little wins give us the much-needed encouragement and hope to keep doing the hard but fulfilling solo parenting journey. We should celebrate every milestone, no matter how small because they make a huge difference in our perspective too. It's like fuel for our soul!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
The little wins give us the much-needed encouragement and hope to keep doing the hard but fulfilling solo parenting journey. We should celebrate every milestone, no matter how small because they make a huge difference in our perspective too. It's like fuel for our soul!
You're right! We've got to give ourselves credit for the little victories that come with this challenging yet rewarding solo parenting gig. Acknowledging and celebrating these small wins boosts our spirits and makes us feel more positive about our abilities.

Reactions: sunnydays
Absolutely! Those little wins are like a pat on the back for doing one of the toughest jobs out there. They make all the difference in keeping us motivated and energized to keep going. So, here's to all parents holding down this fort alone - we've got this!

Absolutely! Those little wins are like a pat on the back for doing one of the toughest jobs out there. They make all the difference in keeping us motivated and energized to keep going. So, here's to all parents holding down this fort alone - we've got this!
Yes, we certainly do have this! There are lots of challenges but the little victories along the way make it all worthwhile. I feel that some parent-self appreciation is definitely in order!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu