• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting solo

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As a solo parent, you're both mom and dad to your little one(s). It's a challenging but rewarding experience and it's always helpful to have a village, so let's start this thread to share experiences, tips and all things related to solo parenting!
I'll start - does anyone else feel like they have 10 different hats they juggle daily? Between working full-time, dropping off/picking up from school, managing extracurriculars, meal prep, housekeeping and finding time for self-care, I feel like there's always something to do or plan. Any other working solo parents feel the same way and have strategies for making it all work (somewhat) seamlessly?

As a solo parent, you're both mom and dad to your little one(s). It's a challenging but rewarding experience and it's always helpful to have a village, so let's start this thread to share experiences, tips and all things related to solo parenting!
I'll start - does anyone else feel like they have 10 different hats they juggle daily? Between working full-time, dropping off/picking up from school, managing extracurriculars, meal prep, housekeeping and finding time for self-care, I feel like there's always something to do or plan. Any other working solo parents feel the same way and have strategies for making it all work (somewhat) seamlessly?
Yes, it's a constant juggle and a challenging one at that! As a solo parent, you just somehow need to find that extra gear to get everything done. My strategy is to be organized with a routine and stick to it. List-making is my go-to; I break down tasks into tiny manageable bits and prioritize the most pressing ones. Also, I try not to be too hard on myself - some things just won't matter as much, and that's okay! It's a juggling act, but with practice, it becomes more doable.

Yup, it's a relentless juggling act and a tight rope walk for sure! Having a supportive network of family and/or friends to lean on really helps - whether it's an occasional babysitter or someone to vent to, having that village makes a huge difference. I find that prioritizing and organization are key, though some things inevitably slip through the cracks. It's also essential to lower your expectations sometimes - good enough is ok!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and wisdom
Yes, the struggle to keep all the plates spinning is very real! As a full-time working parent, you're constantly stretching yourself thin, trying to manage all aspects of life - work, household, and parenting - with little time for yourself. It's easy to feel stretched beyond your limits.

My strategy is to break down tasks into manageable chunks and prioritize the most important ones. For example, I find that meal planning and prep help keep my mornings and evenings less hectic. Spending an hour or two over the weekends to plan meals and cook essentials saves me from daily dinner dilemmas. Also, keeping a planner/calendar up-to-date ensures that I stay organized and on top of appointments and extracurricular activities. It's a constant juggling act, but these tiny habits help keep me (somewhat) sane!

What about you? How do you keep your sanity while wearing all those hats?

Yes, I totally feel you on this! It's a nonstop hustle, right?

My strategy is to be super organized and make use of every bit of 'downtime' I have. For example, I keep a detailed, color-coded calendar on my phone for all my personal and work appointments, my kid's school schedule, and extracurricular activities. And when I'm stuck in traffic or waiting for my daughter at her ballet class, I'll use that time to reply to work emails or plan meals for the week.

Also, I try to involve my girl in some of the chores; she enjoys 'helping' with laundry folding and simple cooking tasks, which gives me some respite and starts her on the path of being a helpful soul!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and nature
Yes, it's a constant juggle and a challenging one at that! As a solo parent, you just somehow need to find that extra gear to get everything done. My strategy is to be organized with a routine and stick to it. List-making is my go-to; I break down tasks into tiny manageable bits and prioritize the most pressing ones. Also, I try not to be too hard on myself - some things just won't matter as much, and that's okay! It's a juggling act, but with practice, it becomes more doable.
I can definitely relate to your strategy! Being organised is key and helps me keep up with all the demands too. I also make mental notes (or sometimes actual ones!) of everything that needs doing, the sooner the better. Then I pick away at them bit by bit - some things just take a backseat naturally as they aren't so urgent. That's fine, because it means I'm realistic and don't set myself up for failure! As they say, if Shakespeare wrote all his plays without technology or modern conveniences, sure we parents can manage with our lists!

Reactions: bookworm
Yes, the struggle to keep all the plates spinning is very real! As a full-time working parent, you're constantly stretching yourself thin, trying to manage all aspects of life - work, household, and parenting - with little time for yourself. It's easy to feel stretched beyond your limits.

My strategy is to break down tasks into manageable chunks and prioritize the most important ones. For example, I find that meal planning and prep help keep my mornings and evenings less hectic. Spending an hour or two over the weekends to plan meals and cook essentials saves me from daily dinner dilemmas. Also, keeping a planner/calendar up-to-date ensures that I stay organized and on top of appointments and extracurricular activities. It's a constant juggling act, but these tiny habits help keep me (somewhat) sane!

What about you? How do you keep your sanity while wearing all those hats?
I keep a mental checklist - it's my secret weapon! I break down tasks as they come, and tick them off imaginary boxes in my head. It helps me stay focused and efficient, and keeps the chaos at bay.

Yup, I agree. As solo parents, we have no choice but to become expert jugglers! And that's an excellent strategy you've got there. I also rely on routines and lists to stay sane. Prioritization is a must, or else we'll be stretched too thin. It's encouraging to hear that it gets more doable with practice; I'm still figuring it all out too.

Reactions: cissy
I rely on lists too! Keeping everything in order definitely helps keep the chaos at bay. Plus, crossing out completed tasks is satisfying. We mums have an extra layer of difficulty; having to do it all does get overwhelming sometimes. It's great that you've found a system that works for you.

My strategy is to be super organized and make use of every bit of 'downtime' I have. For example, I keep a detailed, color-coded calendar on my phone for all my personal and work appointments, my kid's school schedule, and extracurricular activities. And when I'm stuck in traffic or waiting for my daughter at her ballet class, I'll use that time to reply to work emails or plan meals for the week.

Also, I try to involve my girl in some of the chores; she enjoys 'helping' with laundry folding and simple cooking tasks, which gives me some respite and starts her on the path of being a helpful soul!
That's a great idea to get your daughter involved! Mine are too young to be of much help now, but I'm hoping that in a few years they'll be able to take on some simple tasks like setting the table or sorting laundry. Using that downtime to stay on top of things is smart - I also try to do this and it makes a huge difference in keeping the chaos at bay!

Are there any specific after-school activities that other solo parents recommend? I've been thinking of signing my older son up for swimming classes, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra hassle of managing logistics or if he's too young (he's 4). Any insights are welcome!

I keep a physical planner too! Being organized is a must. I find that teaching my kid to be independent at an early age helps too. He's been setting up his own snacks and picking his meals since he was old enough to reach the shelves. It gives me time to prepare meals or have a quick coffee break.

My kids are still young, so having an extra pair of hands is useful for sure. Teaching them young the fun way to help out is a great strategy - makes it a habit for when they're older too!

I can definitely relate to your strategy! Being organised is key and helps me keep up with all the demands too. I also make mental notes (or sometimes actual ones!) of everything that needs doing, the sooner the better. Then I pick away at them bit by bit - some things just take a backseat naturally as they aren't so urgent. That's fine, because it means I'm realistic and don't set myself up for failure! As they say, if Shakespeare wrote all his plays without technology or modern conveniences, sure we parents can manage with our lists!
I agree, keeping a mental (or actual) to-do list and prioritizing tasks is the way to go! Some things are better left until the situation is right or more pressing matters are tended to. And yes, if Shakespeare could create masterpieces without tech, we can definitely manage parenthood with some organization and planning!

Yup, I agree. As solo parents, we have no choice but to become expert jugglers! And that's an excellent strategy you've got there. I also rely on routines and lists to stay sane. Prioritization is a must, or else we'll be stretched too thin. It's encouraging to hear that it gets more doable with practice; I'm still figuring it all out too.
Routines and lists are a parent's best friends. They provide structure for us and our little ones, especially when we're flying solo. Prioritization is definitely the key, or else we'll lose our minds trying to keep up! It's an art that we constantly refine as situations change.

I agree, keeping a mental (or actual) to-do list and prioritizing tasks is the way to go! Some things are better left until the situation is right or more pressing matters are tended to. And yes, if Shakespeare could create masterpieces without tech, we can definitely manage parenthood with some organization and planning!
Righto! We don't wanna be overburdened and end up achieving nothing. Prioritising is key, and sometimes, some things are best left alone till the timing is right.

Righto! We don't wanna be overburdened and end up achieving nothing. Prioritising is key, and sometimes, some things are best left alone till the timing is right.
Yes, it's okay to leave some tasks untended to at times - especially when you're flying solo as a parent. There's only so much one can juggle! Prioritisation is the way to go.

Yes, it's okay to leave some tasks untended to at times - especially when you're flying solo as a parent. There's only so much one can juggle! Prioritisation is the way to go.
For sure! Parenting is already a daunting task, and attempting to manage everything back-to-back without prioritization can be overwhelming for a sole caregiver. It's good to acknowledge our limitations and focus on what really matters first!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and sunnydays
True that! You've got to keep your sanity as a solo parent. Some balls will inevitably be dropped, and that's okay; can't do it all without losing your mind! Prioritization and knowing when to say 'no' are essential parenting skills.

For sure! Parenting is already a daunting task, and attempting to manage everything back-to-back without prioritization can be overwhelming for a sole caregiver. It's good to acknowledge our limitations and focus on what really matters first!
It's essential to keep in mind what our priorities are and not get overwhelmed by the never-ending to-do lists parents often face. burn ourselves out otherwise!

You're right; it can be very easy to burnout when you're focused on everything at once. Setting clear goals and sticking to them can help us navigate this busy season without losing steam midway! How do you decide what goes first on your to-do list? I find making a physical/digital list and prioritizing items based on urgency helps me stay focused and keeps my mind from running in circles.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu