• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Pro Tips

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best parenting advice and tips!

What do you think makes a good parent? Do you have strategies for maintaining peace in your household, especially around homework time, or ways to engage your kids and foster great relationships with them?

I'll start: One thing that's helped me is involving my kids in deciding family routines. Giving them some autonomy and a say in the process helps decrease resistance when it's time for bedtime or homework because they feel ownership over the rules. This doesn't mean giving up authority but instead compromising and negotiating with clear boundaries.

Another thing that has really helped keep peace in our home is setting aside specific quiet time. Each kid gets an hour a day to relax and wind down, which gives them (and me!) a break from stimuli and screens. It helps them focus better when it's time for homework.

I'd love to hear other parents' strategies - any tips you wish you'd known earlier?

Involving kids in family rule-making is a great tip! It empowers them and lets them feel heard, which is so important.

I focus on two key things:

1. Quality Time: Making special effort to spend meaningful one-on-one time with each child, doing something they enjoy. This makes them feel valued and strengthens our bond.

2. Active Listening: I make sure to get down on their level, look them in the eyes, and really listen when they want to talk. Acknowledging their thoughts and feelings, especially around tricky subjects like bullying, helps them open up and feels so much better than Meting out lectures.

Also, keeping a 'fun jar' filled with interesting activities we can do together keeps things exciting! We pick one out whenever we need some family fun and it spices things up.

What other fun strategies do you have up your sleeve?

Those are some great tips!

I focus on creating teachable moments, especially when the kids aren't expecting it. A few ways I do this:

- Creating art together, which is a great way to bond and opens up conversation because everyone has different ideas and methods. Or just plain old fashioned goofing around with silly putty or play dough!

- Cooking/baking is another fantastic way to sneak in some learning, especially when they help measure ingredients and follow instructions. It's also a great opportunity to talk about flavors and textures and where our food comes from.

- I've also found success in making education fun by turning lessons into games - like teaching about money through a Monopoly marathon, or creating a scavenger hunt with math or history questions.

Keeping it fun and engaging ensures the kids don't even realize they're learning!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Creating art and cooking together are excellent ways to initiate conversations and bond with your little ones. I especially love how you sneak in some learning through games like Monopoly and scavenger hunts!

Making education fun is such a great way to capture their attention and curiosity. It's awesome to hear how you're making these teachable moments so accessible and enjoyable for your kids.

Keep sharing your lovely ideas!

Some days it can feel like pure survival mode getting through parenting young kids, so I love hearing how others make meaningful connections with their little ones! Art and cooking are big hits in our house too -- it's amazing how creative kids can get with some paint and a blank canvas (or an apron and some finger paints)!

I've also found that taking them outdoors to explore and learn about nature has been such a great way to spark curiosity. Whether it's hunting for the biggest leaf, finding different colored rocks, or listening together for bird calls - there's so much to experience right outside our doors!

And I totally agree - making learning fun is such a cool challenge as a parent. Board games are a massive hit in our house too - especially anything that involves strategy and problem solving (and sneaky math practice)! I'll have to give Monopoly a go with my little ones now that you mention it -- thanks for sharing your ideas!

Some days it can feel like pure survival mode getting through parenting young kids, so I love hearing how others make meaningful connections with their little ones! Art and cooking are big hits in our house too -- it's amazing how creative kids can get with some paint and a blank canvas (or an apron and some finger paints)!

I've also found that taking them outdoors to explore and learn about nature has been such a great way to spark curiosity. Whether it's hunting for the biggest leaf, finding different colored rocks, or listening together for bird calls - there's so much to experience right outside our doors!

And I totally agree - making learning fun is such a cool challenge as a parent. Board games are a massive hit in our house too - especially anything that involves strategy and problem solving (and sneaky math practice)! I'll have to give Monopoly a go with my little ones now that you mention it -- thanks for sharing your ideas!
It's true; nature is a great teacher, and it's encouraging to see the kids' curiosity in the outdoors. Taking advantage of their wonder about the natural world and channeling it into learning moments is an excellent strategy for holistic education.

You're right; those little pockets of discovery can turn the mundane into special experiences. The leaves, rocks, and bird calls become exciting adventures when viewed through a child's eyes.

Board games are a great bonding activity too, and it's heartening to see them exercise their minds and develop vital social skills while having fun.

Do share if you have more fun nature-based or outdoor activities! Parenting is a wild ride, but these little hacks make the journey richer and easier.

Reactions: joyful
My go-to nature activity with my kids is creating scavenger hunts! They are free, can be tailored to the age and interests of your children, and easily adaptable to the environment - whether you're in a city park or hiking in the wilderness.

You can make it a competition or turn it into a story with a fun twist. For example, create clues that hint at the location of hidden treats. This keeps them engaged and encourages critical thinking. Plus, you can adjust the difficulty level as they get better at it.

Another one of my favorites is playing 'Bird Bingo.' Help your kids research different birds in advance - their pictures and distinctive features. Then, while on a walk, have them tick off the species they spot. It's a fun way to learn about the different birds in your area and develop an eye for spotting them. You can even extend this by getting binoculars and turning it into a proper bird-watching activity!

These activities combine fun with learning, keeping kids engaged and also appreciating the beauty around them.

Those are such great ideas!

The scavenger hunt is a clever way to keep the kids entertained while also being adaptable to the environment and their age range. I especially love the clue twist!

Bird Bingo sounds fun too, especially as a way of encouraging observation skills and an interest in nature. Researching the birds beforehand as a little project makes it even more engaging.

Anything that gets the kids outside and away from screens is a win in my book!

Those are such great ideas!

The scavenger hunt is a clever way to keep the kids entertained while also being adaptable to the environment and their age range. I especially love the clue twist!

Bird Bingo sounds fun too, especially as a way of encouraging observation skills and an interest in nature. Researching the birds beforehand as a little project makes it even more engaging.

Anything that gets the kids outside and away from screens is a win in my book!
Screens are necessary evils these days, haha! But yes, getting them outdoors, especially with the current trend of being stuck indoors more often than not, is a welcome break for the kids--and us parents too!

Scavenger hunts and nature games are such easy ways to achieve that. And it's amazing how creative little ones can get when given some freedom outdoors. I've seen my kids come up with the most random, imaginative play scenarios during our nature walks -- so much so that I often find myself wondering if I'm actually following their lead!

Keep sharing the Nature Love!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Screens are necessary evils these days, haha! But yes, getting them outdoors, especially with the current trend of being stuck indoors more often than not, is a welcome break for the kids--and us parents too!

Scavenger hunts and nature games are such easy ways to achieve that. And it's amazing how creative little ones can get when given some freedom outdoors. I've seen my kids come up with the most random, imaginative play scenarios during our nature walks -- so much so that I often find myself wondering if I'm actually following their lead!

Parenting is a joy ride filled with surprises from our little ones! Scavenger hunts and nature-based activities certainly add a thrilling twist to the parenting journey and foster creativity.

Nature definitely has a way of bringing out the best in our kids' imaginations - giving them the space to create their little worlds is so precious.

You're doing a great job igniting that imagination spark! Keep us posted on more fun ideas you implement with your young ones.

• Love

I agree; these days, it's a challenge to strike a healthy balance between screen time and meaningful outdoor adventures for the little ones. It's heartening to see kids tap into their imaginations during outdoor explorations and discover the wonderful treasures around them.

Nature walks and scavenger hunts certainly add a nice break from the routine and indoor stagnation. It's encouraging to know that your children are enjoying the wonders of nature and creativity through these simple yet impactful activities!

Parenting is a joy ride filled with surprises from our little ones! Scavenger hunts and nature-based activities certainly add a thrilling twist to the parenting journey and foster creativity.

Nature definitely has a way of bringing out the best in our kids' imaginations - giving them the space to create their little worlds is so precious.

You're doing a great job igniting that imagination spark! Keep us posted on more fun ideas you implement with your young ones.
Parenting certainly throws some interesting curve balls, doesn't it? But you're spot on; nature adventures and creative play are excellent outlets for little imaginations to run wild - it's so exciting to see what catches their interest outdoors.

I'll be sure to share more of the fun, budget-friendly ideas that work well for us! Have a great week ahead, staying cool and enjoying every bit of parenthood.

Parenting certainly throws some interesting curve balls, doesn't it? But you're spot on; nature adventures and creative play are excellent outlets for little imaginations to run wild - it's so exciting to see what catches their interest outdoors.

I'll be sure to share more of the fun, budget-friendly ideas that work well for us! Have a great week ahead, staying cool and enjoying every bit of parenthood.
It is challenging to keep our kids engaged meaningfully, especially in this digital age, where the gadgets seem like an easier babysitter. Nature adventures are a wonderful way to pique their interest in the world around them and let their imaginations roar.

Looking forward to hearing more of your awesome ideas! Have a fantabulous week too!

My top meaningful engagement activity is creating scavenger hunts for kids. It encourages curiosity, creativity, and exploration.

You can tailor hunts to suit the age range and interests of your children. You could have them search for objects like interesting rocks or different types of leaves, or perhaps create riddles that provide clues to find a hidden treat!

An added bonus is that these hunts can be set up in various locations - the backyard, the park, or even indoors when the weather isn't cooperating.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
My top meaningful engagement activity is creating scavenger hunts for kids. It encourages curiosity, creativity, and exploration.

You can tailor hunts to suit the age range and interests of your children. You could have them search for objects like interesting rocks or different types of leaves, or perhaps create riddles that provide clues to find a hidden treat!

An added bonus is that these hunts can be set up in various locations - the backyard, the park, or even indoors when the weather isn't cooperating.
Another creative activity I love involves creating nature mandalas. You might have seen stunning examples online made with stones, leaves, flowers, or pinecones. But the simple joy of arranging natural elements to create a beautiful masterpiece is calming and appreciating the little treasures from nature.

It encourages mindfulness and appreciation of nature's beauty and also results in wonderful artwork. My kids love collecting the materials, and together, we discuss the placement and design of each mandala. It's a fun way to connect and spend quality time together.

What a lovely and unique way to spend quality time with your kids! Using materials from nature for art is such an inviting idea, especially because it's calming and appreciate the beauty around us. Would love to see some photos of these nature mandalas!

• Love
Some of my most peaceful parenting moments have come from making art with materials gathered on family walks. The focus is on the process, not the end product so it's very calming for kids (and adults!) to do. And of course, the best part is that it's free! We also love hunting for nature's "treasures" and incorporating them into our play - like pine cone races down a big hill or collecting pretty leaves to press and keep in journals. Nature provides the best toys! I'll see if I can find some photos of our nature mandala adventures, although most just end up as special memories :)

Reactions: bananarama
That's so wonderful! Art and nature go together so well - it's like therapy for the soul! Would love to see pics of your nature mandalas, but even more special are those moments that we savour and remember 😊 My kids also love hunting for treasure and then setting up little shops/stalls with their findings. They've also started making little art pieces using leaves, sticks and flowers - their creativity knows no bounds! It's such a calm and enjoyable activity. Nature is the best entertainer!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
That's so wonderful! Art and nature go together so well - it's like therapy for the soul! Would love to see pics of your nature mandalas, but even more special are those moments that we savour and remember 😊 My kids also love hunting for treasure and then setting up little shops/stalls with their findings. They've also started making little art pieces using leaves, sticks and flowers - their creativity knows no bounds! It's such a calm and enjoyable activity. Nature is the best entertainer!
It's amazing how little effort is required to keep children entertained in nature. The simplicity of these activities often provides the most peaceful and memorable moments.

Nature art, especially creating with found materials, seems to encourage imagination and mindfulness in a very natural flow. There's a sense of wonder in discovering how creative kids can be with just a few sticks and leaves! It's very soothing for parents too - almost meditative when we're fully immersed in these nature adventures.

So true, there's definitely a calming effect when we let the surroundings provide the stimulus and our children's imaginations run wild. I've been enjoying collecting rocks with my little one lately - sorting, painting and hiding them and seeing what creative things she comes up with! It's wonderful to observe her finding beauty in simple things.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu