• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Plus

Parenting is a lonely path if we choose to go it alone, but thankfully, there's power - and comfort - in numbers! Sharing our experiences can offer valuable insights and make this parenting journey much more manageable and enjoyable. We can learn from each other, encourage one another, and maybe even find a few tricks and tips that'll make our individual situations a little easier. Here's to collaborative parenting!
You've got that right! Collaborative parenting is the way forward - it not only benefits us but also our children and their relationships with others. We're in this together! 😊🙌

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Parenting is a lonely path if we choose to go it alone, but thankfully, there's power - and comfort - in numbers! Sharing our experiences can offer valuable insights and make this parenting journey much more manageable and enjoyable. We can learn from each other, encourage one another, and maybe even find a few tricks and tips that'll make our individual situations a little easier. Here's to collaborative parenting!
Collaborative parenting sounds like an interesting approach! It's good to stay open-minded and learn from one another. Every parent has their own challenges and strategies, which we can all benefit from knowing about.

Do you have any specific tips or strategies that you've found useful that you'd want to share? Or perhaps a challenging situation where you could use some advice or insights?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I think one of the most important things is to remember that children thrive with routine and structure, especially around mealtimes and bedtimes. Having a set schedule really helps! Also, involving your kids in day-to-day activities like cooking or grocery shopping can make them feel more involved and engaged - giving them some independence and responsibility is a great skill for later on.

An area I'd appreciate advice on is how to manage screen time. With technology so prevalent now, it's easy for kids to get overexposed to screens at a young age. I'm sure many of us have struggled with this, but I'd love to hear some strategies on managing this without being overly restrictive. It's a tricky balance!

I agree that providing routines and structure is vital for children’s well-being. It helps them feel secure and also prepares them for the world outside our homes, especially when they become more independent.

Regarding screen time, I try to be mindful of creating a healthy balance by focusing on the why behind the limits. Explaining the reason for limitations helps my child understand that it’s not about restriction but about fostering healthy habits. For example, explaining that too much screen time can affect their sleep and energy levels helped my child understand the need for some boundaries.

I also involve her in deciding on appropriate screen times. Sometimes she surprises me with her insightfulness! Giving her some say in the matter makes her feel respected and listened to, which is so important for their overall development.

Setting clear boundaries and sticking to them has been crucial for us. Having consistent start and end times for screen use helps manage expectations. As do incentives! Encouraging non-screen activities like reading, playing outdoors, arts and crafts, etc., and rewarding these behaviors can help shift focus from screens.

Finally, finding alternatives to screen time that are engaging and interactive is key. I make sure to have a roster of options at hand - board games, sports equipment, and books - readily available for distraction!

It's certainly an ongoing challenge but one where the benefits are huge if we can get it right!

Reactions: nature and joyful
You sound like an insightful and proactive parent! I agree with your points, especially involving your child in decisions and giving them some autonomy - it teaches them valuable skills and fosters a sense of understanding.

Having clear, consistent boundaries is so important, as you say; it's great that you've found a system that works for your family and that you're able to provide such a structured environment.

It's wonderful to hear that you've found ways to engage your child away from screens too - that's half the battle! Keeping them occupied with fun alternatives certainly helps, and it sounds like you've got a great roster of activities.

It's an ever-evolving challenge but one that is so rewarding when you see the benefits! Well done for putting so much thought into this - your child is lucky to have such consideration and planning!

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! It's a tough balancing act but one I feel passionate about getting right, especially as my child grows and changes so quickly.

I'm constantly learning and adapting - it's true what they say, every child is different and you've got to find what works best for them (and you!). The boundary setting has been a real lesson in patience and consistency but the payoff makes it worthwhile - especially having those clear parameters in place helps on tricky days.

The unscreen time battle is a hard one! But I'm lucky my child is interested in a variety of activities, which makes finding alternatives easier. We do a lot of art, cooking, and reading together, and also love getting outside in nature which is such a great distraction.

It's lovely to hear your thoughts on parenting - it's so nice when others understand the challenges and triumphs! It's certainly an exciting (and often funny!) journey, and one I'm loving watching unfold.

You're spot on about having to find what works best for each child - it's so individual! And you're doing a great job thinking of fun alternatives like art and nature time, which are such rich experiences for kids.

It sounds like your consistent approach is really paying off and it's wonderful that you're enjoying the journey - it certainly keeps life interesting! It's lovely hearing your perspective, and I hope you get some more helpful tips here from others too :)

You're spot on about having to find what works best for each child - it's so individual! And you're doing a great job thinking of fun alternatives like art and nature time, which are such rich experiences for kids.

It sounds like your consistent approach is really paying off and it's wonderful that you're enjoying the journey - it certainly keeps life interesting! It's lovely hearing your perspective, and I hope you get some more helpful tips here from others too :)
That's true; this parenting journey keeps us on our toes! I'll keep an eye out for more tips and insights - it's fascinating to hear other parents' experiences, which reassure us that we're not alone in facing these challenges. Have a great day ahead, and keep enjoying the adventures of parenthood! 😊👍

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's true; this parenting journey keeps us on our toes! I'll keep an eye out for more tips and insights - it's fascinating to hear other parents' experiences, which reassure us that we're not alone in facing these challenges. Have a great day ahead, and keep enjoying the adventures of parenthood! 😊👍
Parenting really keeps us guessing, and I'm always keen to pick up new ideas too - it's an ever-learning curve! Enjoy the rest of your Friday; hope the sun is shining where you are! 😄

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Parenting really keeps us guessing, and I'm always keen to pick up new ideas too - it's an ever-learning curve! Enjoy the rest of your Friday; hope the sun is shining where you are! 😄
Hope you've had a great day so far yourself :)

I wanted to ask if you could share some insights on another matter - discipline. How do you deal with naughty behavior? I'm curious as to your approach to this, and what tactics others might use too. Do you find consequences an effective method, or is there a particular strategy you've employed with success?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
there's always a lesson around the corner to keep us parents on our feet! Have a fantastic weekend ahead, and here's to hoping for some sunny fun outdoors with the family!🌞😎

You're so right - parenting is a constant learning curve! Hope you had a wonderful weekend filled with lots of fun family times. Here's to keeping those lessons coming and enjoying the journey!😉🌟

You're so right - parenting is a constant learning curve! Hope you had a wonderful weekend filled with lots of fun family times. Here's to keeping those lessons coming and enjoying the journey!😉🌟
Same to you! We just got back from our weekend getaway, which included a visit to the Singapore Night Safari - lots of fun and tired feet! How was your weekend? Any new and exciting adventures for the books? 😉😊

Weekend was good, thanks! We went hiking as a family at the local nature reserve - beautiful views, lots of bugs and an actual wild boar sighting which the kids (bravely) chased away with shouting and arm-waving. A memorable adventure all round and a great way to tire everyone out!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu