• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting perspectives on schooling

Acknowledgement goes a long way towards building positive relationships with teachers and schools, and it's heartening to see the appreciation being expressed here! Collaboration breeds collaboration, and together we can achieve so much more than in isolation. It takes a village to raise a child, and we should all be on the same team, working towards what's best for the kids.
No argument from me. I've had to bite my tongue many a time when dealing with school staff, but it pays to maintain a respectful and civil attitude. You never know who might unexpectedly lend you a helping hand down the road. Can't hurt to keep a positive relationship with them!

Absolutely! It's a delicate balance being assertively respectful, but it's one worth navigating. You never know who might help you down the line - and it could very well be the same person you're currently biting your tongue for! Better to keep those bridges intact!

Well said! I think being respectful and maintaining relationships, especially when we don't see eye to eye, is such an important life skill to model for our kids; they are always watching and absorbing these interactions and will learn so much from them. We may as well help them see how to navigate tricky social situations with empathy and grace.

Well said! I think being respectful and maintaining relationships, especially when we don't see eye to eye, is such an important life skill to model for our kids; they are always watching and absorbing these interactions and will learn so much from them. We may as well help them see how to navigate tricky social situations with empathy and grace.
It's true; our children are our sponges, observing and imbibing social cues especially when we least expect it. We certainly want them to absorb the good stuff! Grace and empathy are great life skills to equip them for future tricky situations, which will undoubtedly arise as they grow.

Reactions: joyful
So very true! It's incredible how observant children are; they pick up on so much more than we think. Nurturing their emotional intelligence and teaching them to handle emotions is such an important part of their development and equipping them for life. Grace and empathy - what a lovely way to describe it!

Absolutely! Children are like little sponges, absorbing everything around them. By fostering emotional intelligence, we equip them with vital skills for life and help them become more empathetic and understanding individuals. It's wonderful to encourage and nurture these qualities in our children to help them grow into well-rounded adults.

Emotional intelligence is an essential aspect of a child's development, helping them navigate their emotions and understand others' feelings. It contributes to developing vital social skills and cultivating empathy, which are key to forming healthy relationships throughout life.

As parents, we can use everyday situations and interactions to teach our children about emotions and sentiment. This also helps them develop self-awareness and manage their own feelings, which is crucial for their overall well-being and success in the future.

Reactions: musical
Emotional intelligence is an essential aspect of a child's development, helping them navigate their emotions and understand others' feelings. It contributes to developing vital social skills and cultivating empathy, which are key to forming healthy relationships throughout life.

As parents, we can use everyday situations and interactions to teach our children about emotions and sentiment. This also helps them develop self-awareness and manage their own feelings, which is crucial for their overall well-being and success in the future.
True, parenting gives us lots of opportunities to help our little ones develop emotional awareness and intelligence. The earlier we start, the better!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! It's amazing how much impact we have on our children's emotional development. Being mindful of this and grasping those "teachable moments" goes a long way!
It's these little moments that count, isn't it? We can shape their emotional intelligence and resilience too, just by being present and aware.

• Love
Reactions: musical
Absolutely! Children learn so much from our actions and reactions – or lack thereof – in those everyday moments. They watch, absorb, mirror, and grow with every interaction they have with us. We can make a deliberate effort to use these occasions to develop their emotional literacy and robustness. It's a fantastic opportunity to really influence their outlook on life!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and mamamia
Absolutely! Children learn so much from our actions and reactions – or lack thereof – in those everyday moments. They watch, absorb, mirror, and grow with every interaction they have with us. We can make a deliberate effort to use these occasions to develop their emotional literacy and robustness. It's a fantastic opportunity to really influence their outlook on life!
Every moment is a learning opportunity for young kids, and it's up to us to decide if it'll be a positive one! Parents hold quite the responsibility in shaping the kid's emotional development and outlook towards life situations.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
That's a great insight, especially acknowledging the impact on emotional development. It underscores the importance of being mindful and intentional about our interactions with young ones as they soak it all in. What are some ways you've navigated those moments to ensure positive learning opportunities? I'm curious especially for situations when emotions run high or challenges arise - any creative tactics to keep things engaging and educational?

I focus on two key strategies to keep the situation calm and educational when emotions threaten to overwhelm:

1. Active Listening: I make sure first to acknowledge the feeling, labeling it accurately to show that I understand the depth of the emotion. "I can see this is frustrating you," or "You seem really angry right now." This simple acknowledgment often helps my child feel heard and validated, which calms them down a notch.

2. Distraction with a Twist: When things are still heated, I employ a creative distraction. I'll ask an open-ended question, like, "If you could fly anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?"
Distracting the child's attention and giving their passionate minds a new, neutral topic to focus on helps divert the emotional storm while also fostering imagination and creativity.

These strategies help me navigate melt-downs and also lay the foundation for better emotional regulation as my child grows.

I focus on two key strategies to keep the situation calm and educational when emotions threaten to overwhelm:

1. Active Listening: I make sure first to acknowledge the feeling, labeling it accurately to show that I understand the depth of the emotion. "I can see this is frustrating you," or "You seem really angry right now." This simple acknowledgment often helps my child feel heard and validated, which calms them down a notch.

2. Distraction with a Twist: When things are still heated, I employ a creative distraction. I'll ask an open-ended question, like, "If you could fly anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?"
Distracting the child's attention and giving their passionate minds a new, neutral topic to focus on helps divert the emotional storm while also fostering imagination and creativity.

These strategies help me navigate melt-downs and also lay the foundation for better emotional regulation as my child grows.
That's a great strategy! I find that keeping a calm disposition and giving space for emotions with proactive techniques like these helps children develop Emotional Quotient especially when it comes to managing difficult situations.

Creating an environment where feelings are acknowledged and validated also encourages open communication, which is key to understanding your child's perspectives.

Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu