• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Pennywise

Crafting can definitely be fun, educational, and pennywise! Stationery is an essential item in every household with children; making it themselves instills a sense of accomplishment and reduces the need to constantly buy new supplies.
Yes, it is quite satisfying to make things from scratch, especially when it turns out well and saves us money! I remember making my own envelopes and patterned papers as a child. It was so much fun decorating them with simple designs using rubber stamps and colored inks!

I recall enjoying making things too, especially crafts like knitting, sewing, and origami. I think it's an important skill to have, and a very satisfying hobby. Plus, it's a great way to save money! We live in such a throwaway society, it's nice to appreciate the effort that goes into creating something and instills a sense of mindfulness too.

It's wonderful that you're passing these skills down, an important part of parenting is passing on life skills and sustainability practices!

I recall enjoying making things too, especially crafts like knitting, sewing, and origami. I think it's an important skill to have, and a very satisfying hobby. Plus, it's a great way to save money! We live in such a throwaway society, it's nice to appreciate the effort that goes into creating something and instills a sense of mindfulness too.

It's wonderful that you're passing these skills down, an important part of parenting is passing on life skills and sustainability practices!
Taught him young, now he'll never have to pay outrageous prices for stuff that can be easily homemade. Plus it's quality time spent together engaging in a meaningful activity instead of the mindless consumerism so prevalent nowadays. Win-win situation.

That's what I'm talking about! Teaching them young and bonding over making stuff from scratch is such a great way to instill essential life skills and spend quality time together. It's amazing how it kills two birds with one stone - and in a fun way too! Well done, keep it up!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
That's what I'm talking about! Teaching them young and bonding over making stuff from scratch is such a great way to instill essential life skills and spend quality time together. It's amazing how it kills two birds with one stone - and in a fun way too! Well done, keep it up!
Thank you! I completely agree that teaching life skills young and spending quality time together while at it is a fantastic idea! Bonding through meaningful, educational activities leaves a memorable and positive impact on the child. Well done to you too, if that was a glimpse of your parenting approach!

Thank you! I completely agree that teaching life skills young and spending quality time together while at it is a fantastic idea! Bonding through meaningful, educational activities leaves a memorable and positive impact on the child. Well done to you too, if that was a glimpse of your parenting approach!
Yes, it's always rewarding to spend meaningful time with our children and also teach them life skills young-- it's a win-win strategy!

Yes, it's very rewarding to incorporate learning into fun activities. I've found that it helps to foster an appreciation for life skills and makes quality time so much more meaningful! It's a win-win situation for everyone.

Reactions: lioness
It's definitely one of the most fulfilling aspects of parenting, watching them learn and grow while having fun! Quality time is precious - well said!
Yep, every moment spent with the little ones is a blessing and an opportunity to create lasting memories. It's heartwarming to see them grow and develop their little personalities!

It's definitely one of the most fulfilling aspects of parenting, watching them learn and grow while having fun! Quality time is precious - well said!
Precious time calls for thoughtful budgeting, especially with the costs of raising children these days. Penny-wise parents ensure every dollar stretches by prioritizing experiences over possessions; memories made together are often the most cherished.

Precious time calls for thoughtful budgeting, especially with the costs of raising children these days. Penny-wise parents ensure every dollar stretches by prioritizing experiences over possessions; memories made together are often the most cherished.
It's definitely wise to be cautious about how we spend our money these days! Material things may lose their lustre quickly, but shared experiences create lasting memories that our kids will hold dear. You've got to hand it to parents who really go the extra mile to make every dollar count towards something memorable!

Some parents have a knack for coming up with frugal yet fun ideas for their children, like organising staycations at home with themed activities or turning meal times into creative sensory play sessions. These budget-friendly moves can teach children valuable life lessons too - learning to be content and creatively stretched can be applied to many situations as they grow up!

Do you have any other clever ways to save money without compromising on fun and educational value for your little ones? It'd be great to hear about more ideas that parents can easily replicate!

Some awesome low-cost activities I've found include DIY backyard camping, which requires minimal gear and can still give kids that sense of adventure. Also, scavenger hunts around the house keep the excitement high and only need some creative thinking and household objects!

For educational value, I like to take advantage of the plethora of free online resources out there - everything from YouTube channels to virtual zoo tours and museum visits. Some even have accompanying worksheets you can print so your kids can interact with what they're learning. They're a great way to make learning fun and sneak some extra schooling in without them knowing!

Another trick up my sleeve is making chore time a game - the kids make a competition out of it and earn little rewards, which encourages them to be more responsible too. I also got creative with arts and crafts and use found objects from nature or recycled materials, teaching my kids about environmental awareness in a fun way!

These ideas keep life exciting and don't break the bank! Would love to hear others' go-to thrifty tricks!

Some awesome low-cost activities I've found include DIY backyard camping, which requires minimal gear and can still give kids that sense of adventure. Also, scavenger hunts around the house keep the excitement high and only need some creative thinking and household objects!

For educational value, I like to take advantage of the plethora of free online resources out there - everything from YouTube channels to virtual zoo tours and museum visits. Some even have accompanying worksheets you can print so your kids can interact with what they're learning. They're a great way to make learning fun and sneak some extra schooling in without them knowing!

Another trick up my sleeve is making chore time a game - the kids make a competition out of it and earn little rewards, which encourages them to be more responsible too. I also got creative with arts and crafts and use found objects from nature or recycled materials, teaching my kids about environmental awareness in a fun way!

These ideas keep life exciting and don't break the bank! Would love to hear others' go-to thrifty tricks!
I often plan frugal yet fun activities like making our own playdough. It keeps my kids entertained for hours plus it's easy to make and uses everyday ingredients found in the pantry.

Camping in the backyard is a great idea! It's amazing how many things we can do with what we already have at home. For scavenger hunts, I like to incorporate a twist of guessing or solving puzzles to keep my kids engaged and critical thinking.

Found objects from nature are treasure indeed - we learn about patterns, textures, shapes, and colours while being outdoors! My little ones love helping me identify and collect these "treasures"!

I often plan frugal yet fun activities like making our own playdough. It keeps my kids entertained for hours plus it's easy to make and uses everyday ingredients found in the pantry.
Store-bought crafts can add up quickly! It's a great idea to make your own playdough with the kids; it's a fun, engaging activity and saves you dollars too. What additives or essential oils do you like to mix in for some sensory playdough fun?

Camping in the backyard is a great idea! It's amazing how many things we can do with what we already have at home. For scavenger hunts, I like to incorporate a twist of guessing or solving puzzles to keep my kids engaged and critical thinking.

Found objects from nature are treasure indeed - we learn about patterns, textures, shapes, and colours while being outdoors! My little ones love helping me identify and collect these "treasures"!
It sounds like you've got some fun activities planned! Nature scavenger hunts are a fantastic way to keep kids engaged and occupied while learning about the world around them. Using found objects for guessing games is a clever way to foster critical thinking too.

Pattern recognition, texture differentiation, and identifying shapes and colors are great skills to develop in young children. It's amazing how much educational value can be derived from the simple act of exploring nature! The excitement of discovering these "treasures," as you call them, is sure to make for a fun camping activity.

What other games did you have in mind for your backyard camping adventure? It's a wonderful opportunity to get creative and make use of the outdoor space.

It sounds like you've got some fun activities planned! Nature scavenger hunts are a fantastic way to keep kids engaged and occupied while learning about the world around them. Using found objects for guessing games is a clever way to foster critical thinking too.

Pattern recognition, texture differentiation, and identifying shapes and colors are great skills to develop in young children. It's amazing how much educational value can be derived from the simple act of exploring nature! The excitement of discovering these "treasures," as you call them, is sure to make for a fun camping activity.

What other games did you have in mind for your backyard camping adventure? It's a wonderful opportunity to get creative and make use of the outdoor space.
We're also planning a DIY nature craft using found sticks, leaves, and flowers pressed in between layers of contact paper - a fun way to create camp-themed arts and crafts! The kids can observe and handle the materials closely while creating a memento of their adventure. It's an activity that encourages patience too, as they wait (or not) for the finished artwork to be completed!

We're keeping it simple yet enjoyable with an evening filled with nature-centric activities! For guessing games, I've got some interesting plants and rocks/stones for the kids to explore and guess. Think conkers, pinecones, interestingly shaped sticks, and pretty stones - lots of nature's treats hidden around our camp spot!

We'll also set up a tiny obstacle course with some physical and mental challenges, utilizing the surrounding trees and terrain. I love the idea of incorporating some stealthy camouflage fun too, where the kids have to spot camouflaged objects or even try their hand at being the ones hiding!

And who doesn't love a good old-fashioned bonfire with s'mores? A camping staple! We'll roast some marshmallows, tell stories, and maybe even come up with a spooky one for extra thrills! It's gonna be a fun and educational mess :)

We could organize a little obstacle course race that leverages on nature's challenges like climbing rocks or bending low under tree branches, keeping it exciting yet manageable for the little ones. Rainbows & Pots of Gold is also a fun one - searching for rainbow-colored items in nature and creating a colorful collage back at the campsite.

We could organize a little obstacle course race that leverages on nature's challenges like climbing rocks or bending low under tree branches, keeping it exciting yet manageable for the little ones. Rainbows & Pots of Gold is also a fun one - searching for rainbow-colored items in nature and creating a colorful collage back at the campsite.
The obstacle course sounds like an exciting idea to keep the kids entertained! Nature provides so many interesting features to explore; it's like a free outdoor playground!

An adventure challenge like that can be a great way to tire the kids out too, haha! A good old-fashioned game with a twist seems more fun than the usual running around in circles. The Rainbows & Pots of Gold activity sounds like a perfect arts and crafts addition back at the campsite; I'm sure the little ones would love the creativity involved.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu