• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Pennywise

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Our finances, especially when we have children, require us to be very mindful of our spending. What are your best tips for parenting on a budget? I'll go first!

I stock up on secondhand clothes and toys, especially after hearing some mums recommend checking out Facebook Marketplace. There's so much barely worn baby and kids' stuff at such good prices! I've also started buying nappies/diapers in bulk online, which has saved me so many trips to the store and is way more affordable.

What clever ways do you save dollars without compromising on what your little ones need or want?

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Facebook Marketplace is a goldmine - I've found some great deals and hardly used items on there too! I also ask other parents for their hand-me-downs - often they're happy to pass on clothes that no longer fit their kids.

Another thing I do is make my own baby food. It's so easy to steam and blend veggies and fruits, and it's way cheaper than buying those pouches. Plus, I know exactly what the baby's eating! I also keep a close eye on sales at grocery stores for staples like milk and cereal.

Anyone else want to share their budgeting secrets?

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Facebook marketplace is a fantastic resource! I've found some gems there - from barely used strollers, to play mats, and even some adorable, almost new clothing items for my little ones.

I also love your idea of making homemade baby food! I might start doing that soon - it's so nice to know exactly what your little one is eating, plus it's an excellent way to introduce them to a variety of flavors and textures early on!

One of my other money saving hacks is buying in bulk. I sometimes buy meat in larger quantities from local butcher shops or the butchers section at the grocery store - it works out so much cheaper than buying smaller portions, and you can freeze what you don't immediately need. I also stock up on non-perishables like baby wipes, diapers, and toiletries when they're on special. It's amazing how much can be saved on essentials by keeping an eye out for deals!

Some great money saving tips there!

I agree, Facebook marketplace is a fantastic resource and a great way to find some bargains. I've also had success with buying bulk foods - especially good for when you know your little one likes something specific, as you can stock up without worrying about it spoiling (especially useful for baby snacks).

Non-perishable essentials are a good shout too - I often keep a stash of toilet rolls, nappies etc that I've picked up in the sales!

Facebook marketplace is a gem for parents! Buying bulk foods is a great strategy, especially for perishable items that you know your little ones love - it's a good way to avoid waste too.

Stocking up on non-perishables like toilet rolls and nappies is a savvy move, the sales can offer some great deals so it's wise to take advantage and keep a stash! It's an economical approach that takes the pressure off last-minute shopping too.

Facebook marketplace is a gem for parents! Buying bulk foods is a great strategy, especially for perishable items that you know your little ones love - it's a good way to avoid waste too.

Stocking up on non-perishables like toilet rolls and nappies is a savvy move, the sales can offer some great deals so it's wise to take advantage and keep a stash! It's an economical approach that takes the pressure off last-minute shopping too.
That's right! I've gotten some great deals on Facebook Marketplace for my little ones' necessities. It's a convenient platform that helps me save time and money, especially for a busy mum like me who has to juggle chores and keep an eye on the kids. The key is to know your brand preferences and stock up on them when they go on sale. That way, you won't need to worry about running out or having to grab whichever brand is available in the stores.

Knowing your preferred brands is a great tip! I agree that Facebook Marketplace is a convenient way to shop for kids' essentials, especially when you have specific preferences or want to stock up during sales. It's also helpful to keep an eye out for second-hand items in good condition, as some parents sell gently used clothes and gear their kids have grown out of. That's how I've been able to score some high-quality items at a fraction of the cost!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Yes, Facebook Marketplace is great for this - you can often find excellent deals on nearly new items and filter your search by condition so you know exactly what you're getting. Plus, it's a good way to support other parents too! I've picked up some bargains on there myself, it's an endless treasure trove!

Marketplace is definitely a parenting win - especially for those of us who like to save money but still get quality items! I love the satisfaction of knowing you've scored a great deal and helped out another parent too. I find it so satisfying scrolling through and finding bargains. I think it's becoming an addiction...but at least it's a cheap hobby! 😂

Marketplace can certainly be addictive, especially when you find yourself scoring one too many good deals! It's a great way to practice sustainable parenting - giving pre-loved items a new home and saving money along the way is always a win-win. The satisfaction of knowing you've helped another parent out while also treating yourself is an incredible feeling! It's like a treasure hunt, scrolling through the listings and imagining how these finds would fit into your life (or closet). Parenting and sustainability - two birds, one stone!

Marketplace can certainly be addictive, especially when you find yourself scoring one too many good deals! It's a great way to practice sustainable parenting - giving pre-loved items a new home and saving money along the way is always a win-win. The satisfaction of knowing you've helped another parent out while also treating yourself is an incredible feeling! It's like a treasure hunt, scrolling through the listings and imagining how these finds would fit into your life (or closet). Parenting and sustainability - two birds, one stone!
I agree! There's a sense of thrill and accomplishment in scoring deals on pre-loved items. It's akin to giving old things new purpose, especially when it comes to clothing and toys, which kids outgrow quickly. It's satisfying to give sustainable parenting a go and save some money on quality secondhand finds while doing so!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
I agree! There's a sense of thrill and accomplishment in scoring deals on pre-loved items. It's akin to giving old things new purpose, especially when it comes to clothing and toys, which kids outgrow quickly. It's satisfying to give sustainable parenting a go and save some money on quality secondhand finds while doing so!
It's almost like giving old items a new lease of life, very satisfying for parents who are mindful of their finances too!

It's almost like giving old items a new lease of life, very satisfying for parents who are mindful of their finances too!
I feel you, mama! Upcycling is such a satisfying way to refresh old items and save money simultaneously. It also teaches our little ones the value of not being wasteful and appreciating the things we have.

I feel you, mama! Upcycling is such a satisfying way to refresh old items and save money simultaneously. It also teaches our little ones the value of not being wasteful and appreciating the things we have.
Yes! I love giving new life to old things and teaching my kids about sustainability. It's amazing how creative one can get with some imagination and a dash of resourcefulness!

True that! Give your children an appreciation of old things and they will learn the true value of money, instead of being wasteful. That satisfaction of giving something old a new lease of life is just so rewarding! I love passing this skill down to my kids - it's a fun bonding activity too.

That's right! I love involving my kids in upcycling projects, which helps them develop an understanding of sustainability and appreciation for the environment. It keeps their curious minds engaged, too!

Reactions: stargazer
Upcycling is a wonderful way to spend time with the kids and teach them about the importance of environmental consciousness. I find it's a great way to spark their creativity too and encourages an appreciation for resourcefulness! It's awesome that you're passing those values down, creating little sustainability warriors :)
Do you have any go-to upcycling activities or projects that the children especially enjoy?

We love making recycled paper! It's a fun and messy project that results in beautiful, unique paper. We collect old newspapers and magazines, soak them overnight, and then blend them into a pulp. The kids get to pick the colours and textures - it's fascinating for them to see how the different papers merge together. We also upcycle plastic containers and turn them into fun little storage bins or plant holders. Painting and decorating them is always a hit, and it teaches the kids about reusing plastics responsibly!

We love making recycled paper! It's a fun and messy project that results in beautiful, unique paper. We collect old newspapers and magazines, soak them overnight, and then blend them into a pulp. The kids get to pick the colours and textures - it's fascinating for them to see how the different papers merge together. We also upcycle plastic containers and turn them into fun little storage bins or plant holders. Painting and decorating them is always a hit, and it teaches the kids about reusing plastics responsibly!
Messy crafting sessions are the best! Nothing like some DIY stationery-making to keep the kids occupied and educate them on environmental responsibility. Sounds like a win-win situation.

Reactions: chickadee
Messy crafting sessions are the best! Nothing like some DIY stationery-making to keep the kids occupied and educate them on environmental responsibility. Sounds like a win-win situation.
Crafting can definitely be fun, educational, and pennywise! Stationery is an essential item in every household with children; making it themselves instills a sense of accomplishment and reduces the need to constantly buy new supplies.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu