• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Pennywise

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be expensive, but there are ways to save money without sacrificing on what your family needs. From diaper deals to secondhand clothing and affordable entertainment options, let's share our best tips for parenting pennywise!

Diapers can take up a huge chunk of the budget, so it's worth stocking up during sales. Some retailers offer discounts of up to 50% off their diaper stock, and if you club that with manufacturer coupons, you could get them for half the price or even cheaper! Also keep an eye out for store reward programs - sometimes these can offer great discounts on future purchases or even free diapers.

Clothing can also be a costly expense, especially as kids grow quickly and outfits need to be replaced frequently. Secondhand clothing is a fantastic option, often in good condition because kids outgrow clothes faster than they wear them out! Garage sales, thrift stores and Facebook groups are great places to score cheap, gently worn clothes.

Meal planning is another great way to save money. Plan your family meals for the week and batch cook - this ensures you're not temptation buying takeaway or eating out, which can soon add up. Also keep an eye on those hidden costs - things like snacks, lunchboxes, juice boxes etc., can soon mount up. Buy in bulk and stock up on healthy, affordable snacks.

For entertainment, seek out free options like parks, libraries and community events. The library is a great resource for free books, movies and music, plus it has the added benefit of getting your kids into reading! If you feel okay about screen time, there are plenty of free or cheap apps with educational games and shows.

Don't be afraid to repurpose old items too - plastic containers, cotton reels, cardboard boxes etc., can all be reused for arts and crafts instead of buying new materials. Also consider the cost per use - say, for a expensive stroller or high chair, spread over the number of kids that will use it.

Finally, price match! Don't be afraid to ask stores to match online prices, especially if you're making a big purchase. Sometimes you can haggle with the store assistant or find an unseen manager willing to throw in a discount.

Diapers can take up a huge chunk of the budget, so it's worth stocking up during sales. Some retailers offer discounts of up to 50% off their diaper stock, and if you club that with manufacturer coupons, you could get them for half the price or even cheaper! Also keep an eye out for store reward programs - sometimes these can offer great discounts on future purchases or even free diapers.

Clothing can also be a costly expense, especially as kids grow quickly and outfits need to be replaced frequently. Secondhand clothing is a fantastic option, often in good condition because kids outgrow clothes faster than they wear them out! Garage sales, thrift stores and Facebook groups are great places to score cheap, gently worn clothes.

Meal planning is another great way to save money. Plan your family meals for the week and batch cook - this ensures you're not temptation buying takeaway or eating out, which can soon add up. Also keep an eye on those hidden costs - things like snacks, lunchboxes, juice boxes etc., can soon mount up. Buy in bulk and stock up on healthy, affordable snacks.

For entertainment, seek out free options like parks, libraries and community events. The library is a great resource for free books, movies and music, plus it has the added benefit of getting your kids into reading! If you feel okay about screen time, there are plenty of free or cheap apps with educational games and shows.

Don't be afraid to repurpose old items too - plastic containers, cotton reels, cardboard boxes etc., can all be reused for arts and crafts instead of buying new materials. Also consider the cost per use - say, for a expensive stroller or high chair, spread over the number of kids that will use it.

Finally, price match! Don't be afraid to ask stores to match online prices, especially if you're making a big purchase. Sometimes you can haggle with the store assistant or find an unseen manager willing to throw in a discount.
Do you have any other frugal hacks for parenting?

Do you have any other frugal hacks for parenting?
Cutting costs while parenting certainly doesn't mean sacrificing quality or fun! Creative and thrifty moms often make their own baby food, saving a lot by pureeing homemade soups and mashed fruits/veggies. It's convenient, healthier because of no preservatives, and pocket-friendly!

Baby gear can be rented these days, which is great for expensive items like prams and rockers that see limited use. This saves a small fortune, especially for items needed only briefly or for occasional use.

Homemade DIYs are huge money savers too! You can make your own bubble solutions, play dough, slime, and painting using household ingredients, offering loads of fun without the cost of store-bought kits.

Keep an eye out also for free trials and classes - many gyms and sports centers offer these for parents and babies, as do music and dance schools. These give a great sneak peek before deciding on full memberships. If you're up for it, babysitting cooperatives are a brilliant parenting resource, offering parent swap services that give you free date nights while returning the favor to another member.

Garage sales and online groups are not just for clothes - often you'll find nearly-new kids' toys and equipment for a steal! You just need to be savvy and snap them up quick! These usually go fast because other parents are equally savvy!

And remember, one person's trash is another's treasure. As the saying goes, recycling old items like cribs, clothes or toys helps hugely too. Don't be afraid to ask around or visit local community donation centers - you'd be surprised at the good condition of some donations!

Some great ideas here!

The rental option for baby gear is a fantastic idea, especially for traveling parents or those who need specific equipment for a short period. It's also a sustainable way to reduce waste, as these items can be reused by multiple families instead of buying new.

DIY homemade activities are a lot of fun, and kids hardly notice the difference between store-bought and DIY versions. A great way to engage with your little ones while saving money!

I love the idea of babysitting cooperatives too - a great community-building initiative and a win-win situation for all parents involved.

Garage sales, online groups, and donation centers are an excellent resource for sustainable parenting. It's amazing how many high-quality items can be found second-hand, especially given how quickly kids outgrow clothes and toys.

Reusing and recycling old items is a wonderful habit to get into and teaches children an important lesson in sustainability from a young age. We can give them a heads up on environmental responsibility while also saving money!

I'm glad you agree!

The rental option is a lifesaver for travelling parents, especially those who frequently visit family or vacation spots where such gear is essential. It's also beneficial for parents who want to introduce their children to new activities without committing to full-price purchases first-hand.

DIY'ing is such a satisfying activity and a great educational tool for kids too - teaching them that creativity doesn't always have to come at a cost, and encouraging resourcefulness is a great life skill! Plus, it's a wonderful bonding experience.

Babysitting co-ops are an amazing way to build community among parents and provide some variety for the little ones too - a fun 'date' night option without the cost of formal childcare.

Second-handing is such a fantastic habit to have and a great lesson in sustainability, as you say! Garage sales and donation centers can yield some real gems, and it's amazing how many kind and generous people are out there who just want to help families get started or travelling with kids.

We've got some thoughtful and resourceful parents on this thread! Lots of great options for sustainable, low-cost parenting.

Reactions: wisdom
This is a fantastic discussion! There's so many amazing ways to parent frugally and sustainably--and it's encouraging to hear how many benefits these practices bring along with them, from community-building to life skills for kids. Learning to be resourceful is such a vital skill, and it's empowering too!

The rental option in particular stands out to me as a fantastic idea for travel--especially for parents who are often on the go and don't want to deal with the bulk of bringing all the specialized gear. And I completely agree about the satisfaction of DIYing and the educational aspect for kids, encouraging creativity and resourcefulness is such a great point!

I'm glad this thread has highlighted the benefits of parenting frugally and sustainably! It's so true - resourcefulness is a vital skill to learn, and one that will serve us well throughout life.

The rental idea for travel gear is a fantastic solution for parents on the go. It's convenient, affordable, and eco-friendly, especially if you're the type to otherwise buy specialized (and often expensive) travel gear. And there's a real sense of satisfaction in DIYing and teaching our kids to be resourceful too; it encourages creativity and problem-solving skills.

It's an encouraging reminder of the benefits of thinking outside the box!

I love this conversation! It's a great reminder that there are so many ways to approach parenting and that we can learn so much from one another. There's definitely merit in the old adage 'it takes a village' - we can all offer different perspectives and experiences to help bring up little ones. Frugal and sustainable living is such a great mindset to have, especially when it comes to teaching our kids valuable life skills! And it's so true about the satisfaction of a DIY approach, it's empowering!

Rental travel gear is something I've not considered before but it makes SO much sense, especially for those who are constantly on the move or want a convenient solution. It's amazing the number of businesses springing up to cater to this need too - it's a real gap in the market.

What other ways can we think outside the box when it comes to sustainable parenting? I'm keen to hear more about the creative solutions others have come across!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I agree, it's fascinating to see how other parents approach their parenting styles and strategies!

For sustainable living, one thing I've started doing is creating my own natural remedies and cleaning products. There are so many recipes online for natural, toxic-free options that also save money. I've also discovered a local Facebook group where parents donate or sell pre-loved items - from clothes to toys and even baby gear - which has been a real lifesaver!

I think the key is to first evaluate what's needed, then seek out alternatives. For example, rather than buying new plastic storage containers, I now use reusable silicone storage bags that are eco-friendly.

Also upcycling and repurposing items gives them a new lease of life - old cotton bags become our grocery shopping bags, Mason jars can be used for storing everything from snacks to craft supplies, and so on. There's a real sense of satisfaction watching my little ones help decorate and personalise these items too!

I agree, it's fascinating to see how other parents approach their parenting styles and strategies!

For sustainable living, one thing I've started doing is creating my own natural remedies and cleaning products. There are so many recipes online for natural, toxic-free options that also save money. I've also discovered a local Facebook group where parents donate or sell pre-loved items - from clothes to toys and even baby gear - which has been a real lifesaver!

I think the key is to first evaluate what's needed, then seek out alternatives. For example, rather than buying new plastic storage containers, I now use reusable silicone storage bags that are eco-friendly.

Also upcycling and repurposing items gives them a new lease of life - old cotton bags become our grocery shopping bags, Mason jars can be used for storing everything from snacks to craft supplies, and so on. There's a real sense of satisfaction watching my little ones help decorate and personalise these items too!
Using natural remedies and making your own cleaning products is such a fantastic idea! It's amazing how easy it is to find recipes online these days. Plus, having control over the ingredients means you know exactly what's going into them - perfect for the little ones who might be curious about the formulations!

I love the idea of a local parents' group for exchanging pre-loved items. It's a wonderful way to give back and forth within the community and save resources. So often, we have friends who have outgrown clothing or gear that can still be reused by others.

Repurposing and upcycling are so fun too; it's amazing what a lick of paint or some creativity can do to transform something destined for the bin. The possibilities really are endless!

Using natural remedies and making your own cleaning products is such a fantastic idea! It's amazing how easy it is to find recipes online these days. Plus, having control over the ingredients means you know exactly what's going into them - perfect for the little ones who might be curious about the formulations!

I love the idea of a local parents' group for exchanging pre-loved items. It's a wonderful way to give back and forth within the community and save resources. So often, we have friends who have outgrown clothing or gear that can still be reused by others.

Repurposing and upcycling are so fun too; it's amazing what a lick of paint or some creativity can do to transform something destined for the bin. The possibilities really are endless!
The sense of control you get from making your own remedies and cleaning products is assuring, especially when little ones are involved. Being able to personalize and decorate repurposed items makes them all the more special too - it's like creating something new!

It's encouraging to see how many like-minded people are out there, especially within local communities, ready to help one another sustain the planet and save costs along the way.

The sense of control you get from making your own remedies and cleaning products is assuring, especially when little ones are involved. Being able to personalize and decorate repurposed items makes them all the more special too - it's like creating something new!

It's encouraging to see how many like-minded people are out there, especially within local communities, ready to help one another sustain the planet and save costs along the way.
Having that personal touch and knowing what goes into the products we use daily is extremely gratifying, and you're right about the wide array of recipes available online these days - a real Parenting 101!

Local community groups are an amazing initiative; it's heartwarming to see parents helping each other out, especially when it comes to sustainability. There's strength in numbers, as they say!

It's a great feeling to know exactly what goes into the products we use and even better when they're homemade with natural ingredients - especially with all the recipes available at our fingertips these days. And yes, parent groups are a godsend; it's amazing how much useful knowledge (and moral support!) can be shared within the parenting community.

It's a great feeling to know exactly what goes into the products we use and even better when they're homemade with natural ingredients - especially with all the recipes available at our fingertips these days. And yes, parent groups are a godsend; it's amazing how much useful knowledge (and moral support!) can be shared within the parenting community.
It is reassuring to know that there are like-minded individuals out there who share similar interests and experiences and are willing to share their knowledge!

What natural recipes have you tried making so far, and what has been your experience with them?

It is reassuring to know that there are like-minded individuals out there who share similar interests and experiences and are willing to share their knowledge!

What natural recipes have you tried making so far, and what has been your experience with them?
I've dabbled in making natural remedies and cleaning products over the last few months and have really enjoyed the process. Finding the right essential oils and ingredients took some time but was worth it!

One of my favourites is a multi-purpose cleaning spray that can be used on most surfaces; it's a mix of vinegar, baking soda, and fresh lemon juice - a natural antibacterial. It smells amazing, and knowing I'm not using harsh chemicals around the house is a bonus.

I've also been trying out different remedies for bug bites using a mix of aloe vera and essential oils like tea tree and lavender. They seem to help calm the itch almost instantly - a real life-saver during the summer!

What about you? Have any particular recipes worked well for you?

Reactions: travelmum
I've dabbled in making natural remedies and cleaning products over the last few months and have really enjoyed the process. Finding the right essential oils and ingredients took some time but was worth it!

One of my favourites is a multi-purpose cleaning spray that can be used on most surfaces; it's a mix of vinegar, baking soda, and fresh lemon juice - a natural antibacterial. It smells amazing, and knowing I'm not using harsh chemicals around the house is a bonus.

I've also been trying out different remedies for bug bites using a mix of aloe vera and essential oils like tea tree and lavender. They seem to help calm the itch almost instantly - a real life-saver during the summer!

What about you? Have any particular recipes worked well for you?
My family has benefited especially from natural remedies because my older son has sensitive skin and allergies. I've found that using essential oils has helped us a lot, especially for his coughs and colds. A few drops of eucalyptus oil in the shower help to ease his congestion instantly!

I also keep mentholated balm - a camphor-based product - handy for mosquito bites and minor scrapes and cuts. The balm provides a cooling sensation that relieves itchiness almost immediately and promotes healing.

Some of these natural remedies are passed down from older family members, and I'm glad they've been so helpful amidst today's modern medication options! It's a great feeling when traditional Eco-friendly methods work well alongside the latest scientific advancements we are so fortunate to have.

My family has benefited especially from natural remedies because my older son has sensitive skin and allergies. I've found that using essential oils has helped us a lot, especially for his coughs and colds. A few drops of eucalyptus oil in the shower help to ease his congestion instantly!

I also keep mentholated balm - a camphor-based product - handy for mosquito bites and minor scrapes and cuts. The balm provides a cooling sensation that relieves itchiness almost immediately and promotes healing.

Some of these natural remedies are passed down from older family members, and I'm glad they've been so helpful amidst today's modern medication options! It's a great feeling when traditional Eco-friendly methods work well alongside the latest scientific advancements we are so fortunate to have.
Natural remedies passed down through generations have proven effective standbys and it's fascinating how useful they can be amidst the medications we have nowadays. It's great that you've found ways to help your son's sensitive skin using these traditional eco-friendly methods - proof that some old wives' tales are true!

I've heard of others using eucalyptus oil for congestion; I should try that the next time my little ones catch a cold. Are there any specific brands or types of essential oils you've found most effective and safest? Or do you make your own infusions?

My go-to brand for essential oils is Aroma Edge; they have a large variety of high-quality oils and reliable customer service, which is an absolute must when navigating the world of essential oils! I've used their Eucalyptus Oil for years to help alleviate my kids' congestion and breathe a little easier during cold season. Their citrusy Fresh Morning blend is another favorite in our household, especially for freshening up the house and lifting moods on stuffy days.

I've dabbled in making my own infusions, but I find that these oils save me time and effort without compromising quality or efficacy. Plus, they're widely available online and at most health food stores, which is super convenient for last-minute purchases!

What about you? Do you have a go-to brand for essential oils or a preferred method of preparation for natural remedies?

My go-to brand for essential oils is Aroma Edge; they have a large variety of high-quality oils and reliable customer service, which is an absolute must when navigating the world of essential oils! I've used their Eucalyptus Oil for years to help alleviate my kids' congestion and breathe a little easier during cold season. Their citrusy Fresh Morning blend is another favorite in our household, especially for freshening up the house and lifting moods on stuffy days.

I've dabbled in making my own infusions, but I find that these oils save me time and effort without compromising quality or efficacy. Plus, they're widely available online and at most health food stores, which is super convenient for last-minute purchases!

What about you? Do you have a go-to brand for essential oils or a preferred method of preparation for natural remedies?
I don't have a specific brand that I stick to, but like you, I find that Aroma Edge has a great selection of essential oils. I also enjoy shopping at local stores and picking up new ones whenever I travel. It's become a little ritual when visiting a new place - seeking out these aroma/essential oil shops and finding unique scents or special blends recommended by the locals.

I agree that it's reassuring to have a trustworthy brand amidst the myriad of choices available these days. Online reviews can be deceiving, so having a reliable source is always helpful!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu