• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting On A Penny

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no need to spend a fortune on raising happy and healthy children! Parenting on a budget can be tricky but it's definitely doable, so let's share our best tips for keeping costs down without compromising on care.

To get things started: second hand clothing and toy shops are a great way to save money and help the environment by reducing waste. Plus it teaches kids an important lesson in sustainability and the value of a dollar!

What are your go-to budgeting hacks for parenting?

There's no need to spend a fortune on raising happy and healthy children! Parenting on a budget can be tricky but it's definitely doable, so let's share our best tips for keeping costs down without compromising on care.

To get things started: second hand clothing and toy shops are a great way to save money and help the environment by reducing waste. Plus it teaches kids an important lesson in sustainability and the value of a dollar!

I agree that teaching kids about sustainability and eco-consciousness from a young age is important, and second hand shops are a great way to do that! I also like shopping at clearance racks and thrift stores for my girls' clothes and toys. With young kids who grow quickly, it doesn't make sense to buy new and expensive items that they'll outgrow in a hurry. Besides the financial savings, it's also a fun adventure to go treasure hunting together! There's always something exciting about discovering a great deal.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

My young one loves books, and to keep his interest going without breaking the bank, I often hit up secondhand bookstores or library sales for cheap, gently used books! Some are practically new too. It saves me money and introduces him to a wide variety of stories and illustration styles -- a win-win situation!

That's a brilliant idea! I love the thought of exposing kids to different styles right from the start. You're setting their curiosities up for take-off! And it's such a lovely, eco-friendly way of doing it - giving pre-loved books new homes and keeping the cycle going.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and mamamia
That's a brilliant idea! I love the thought of exposing kids to different styles right from the start. You're setting their curiosities up for take-off! And it's such a lovely, eco-friendly way of doing it - giving pre-loved books new homes and keeping the cycle going.
giving pre-loved items a new lease of life is a great feeling! I also like the idea of exploring DIY art supplies. With kids' innate curiosity and imagination, sometimes all they need is a blank canvas and some paint, or a bunch of recycled materials to create art from. saves us money and keeps the creativity flowing!

Absolutely! There's so much joy to be found in giving new life to preloved items, and it's a wonderful way to teach kids about sustainability too. DIY art supplies are a brilliant way to foster creativity, and often these materials can be accessed for free! I love the idea of providing a blank canvas and letting their imaginations run wild - an artsy afternoon is definitely in order!

Reactions: sunflower
It's amazing how we can teach sustainability to our kids, give them an appreciation for old things being given new life and also save money! There are some real wins all round with op shopping - especially as they get older and start developing individual styles too. I love a good artsy afternoon too, hope you enjoyed it!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and mamamia
Yes - so many wins! We love an op shop treasure hunt for exactly those reasons :) The artsy afternoons are always fun - thank you!

Reactions: travelmum
Yes - so many wins! We love an op shop treasure hunt for exactly those reasons :) The artsy afternoons are always fun - thank you!
It's satisfying to find like-minded parents who encourage their kids to appreciate secondhand and homemade finds. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Have a great, budget-friendly weekend! (^^)

Thanks so much, I'm sure we will! :D
Enjoy yourselves and have a fantastic family time this weekend! Here's to making good memories while keeping the budget intact! 😁👍

Enjoy yourself this weekend! And do let us know if you have any super awesome budgeting tips to share - can never have too many of those!
That I certainly will! Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend, and do check back in Monday for some wholesome and frugal family fun ideas! Can't wait to share! 😎👍

Reactions: eternity
That I certainly will! Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend, and do check back in Monday for some wholesome and frugal family fun ideas! Can't wait to share! 😎👍
Looking forward to hearing your fun and frugal suggestions on Monday! Have a great week too, and thanks for the excited anticipation.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu