• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting On A Penny

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a parent can be expensive – but it doesn’t have to blow your budget. What are your top tips for saving money without compromising on what your kids need or want?

I'll start: I love picking up secondhand clothing and toys – especially for the fast-growing stage that my kids are currently in!

Secondhand is definitely the way to go! Not only does it save you money, but it's also an eco-friendly option which is a huge bonus. I find that buying pre-loved books and toys gives me the opportunity to introduce my child to some old classics that might not be available anymore but are still absolutely awesome. My little one loves discovering new (old) treats and it saves me from buying new things all the time - win-win! Also, borrowing from friends who have older children has been such a helpful way of cutting down costs, especially for the outdoor toys which kids outgrow quickly! I'm sure many parents will agree that it's amazing what we can discover at thrift stores these days.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Being a parent can be expensive – but it doesn’t have to blow your budget. What are your top tips for saving money without compromising on what your kids need or want?

I'll start: I love picking up secondhand clothing and toys – especially for the fast-growing stage that my kids are currently in!
It pays to be patient and resourceful. I often check Facebook Marketplace and Carousell for gently used items; you'd be surprised how many like-new condition toys and clothes people sell at a fraction of the price! Hand-me-downs from friends and cousins are also a great way to save money, especially for clothes and outgrown shoes that kids hardly use.

It pays to be patient and resourceful. I often check Facebook Marketplace and Carousell for gently used items; you'd be surprised how many like-new condition toys and clothes people sell at a fraction of the price! Hand-me-downs from friends and cousins are also a great way to save money, especially for clothes and outgrown shoes that kids hardly use.
That's true! I have also scored many nice items on those secondhand apps. It's satisfying to give a new home to pre-loved items and give them a second life. Sometimes the previous owners even throw in some extras like books or puzzles which is such a pleasant surprise! And I agree, some of these old toys are classic for good reasons; it's nice to see my kids enjoy them just as much as their parents did.

You're spot on about the satisfaction of giving pre-loved items a new lease of life and discovering those little surprises left by previous owners! It's also wonderful to see our kids enjoying the same timeless toys we did - there's often a reason they've stood the test of time.

Absolutely! There's something special about giving old things new life and seeing the enjoyment in our kids' eyes as they engage with timeless toys - it's a lovely way to connect across generations. And it's amazing how well some of these older toys hold up! They were clearly built to last and provide years of fun.

Absolutely! There's something special about giving old things new life and seeing the enjoyment in our kids' eyes as they engage with timeless toys - it's a lovely way to connect across generations. And it's amazing how well some of these older toys hold up! They were clearly built to last and provide years of fun.
The satisfaction of finding treasure in secondhand stores is an art of parenthood. Not only does it make financial sense, but it also encourages a sustainable lifestyle, which is gentle on the environment - teaching our children the value of reusing and reducing waste, which is a very important life skill to have!

So true! And it's amazing how creative one can get when working with a budget. There's this sense of pride and accomplishment every time you find something unique and useful for your little ones at a steal! Plus, as you said, it's a great way to teach kids about environmental consciousness from an early age - that old can be gold! 😊

So true! And it's amazing how creative one can get when working with a budget. There's this sense of pride and accomplishment every time you find something unique and useful for your little ones at a steal! Plus, as you said, it's a great way to teach kids about environmental consciousness from an early age - that old can be gold! 😊
You've got that right! Teaching our children young about the value of money, being environmentally conscious, and learning through play is something that we as parents can be proud of. With all the costs and expenses these days, being resourceful certainly comes a long way. We won't know unless we try!

Absolutely! Resourcefulness and creativity are such rewarding teachable moments with kids, especially when they realize the impact of their efforts. It's a wonderful opportunity to involve them in family decision-making and instil some eco-friendly habits too. Love the idea of combining frugality with environmental awareness - two birds, one stone!

It's a great way to involve them in the process and give them an appreciation of the value of money too - and like you say, it's such a wonderful opportunity to encourage eco-friendly habits from a young age! I love seeing the creativity that comes out of these constraints :)

So true! It's amazing how inventive kids can be when they're encouraged to work within certain boundaries, and teaching them about money is such a helpful life lesson too. The environment of creativity and appreciation for what they have is definitely one to foster :)

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Absolutely! Giving kids freedom within set parameters lets them develop their resourcefulness, which is a skill that'll serve them well as adults. Teaching them about money management early on helps them appreciate the value of things and encourages a responsible attitude towards finances - definitely a beneficial habit for later in life! Encouraging creativity and an appreciative mindset sets a great foundation for their future decisions.

I agree, giving children freedom with boundaries is such a great way to help them learn and develop vital skills while growing up. Teaching money management and encouraging creativity goes a long way; it's an excellent foundation for their future as independent adults. It fosters a resourceful and appreciative mindset too, which is wonderful!

Absolutely! It's so important to equip them with skills like money management - it's a crucial life skill and one that will serve them well into adulthood. Setting boundaries and fostering an appreciative mindset helps prepare them for the real world too; giving freedom within limits encourages them to explore and be creative while knowing the importance of responsibility. We want to set them up for success and independence, and these are great ways to do that!

Skills like money management are life skills that will really benefit kids as they grow up and move towards independence; setting them up well for the future. Teaching them about boundaries and appreciation, and allowing them freedom within limits, will hopefully help them grow into well-rounded and responsible individuals. It's a great strategy for parenting!

Skills like money management are life skills that will really benefit kids as they grow up and move towards independence; setting them up well for the future. Teaching them about boundaries and appreciation, and allowing them freedom within limits, will hopefully help them grow into well-rounded and responsible individuals. It's a great strategy for parenting!
I agree wholly! Setting a strong foundation by instilling money management skills and an understanding of boundaries is essential in preparing our children for their future ventures. Parenting with a firm yet supportive hand seems to set the tone for a good start in life - let's hope they'll thank us for it someday! haha!

I agree wholly! Setting a strong foundation by instilling money management skills and an understanding of boundaries is essential in preparing our children for their future ventures. Parenting with a firm yet supportive hand seems to set the tone for a good start in life - let's hope they'll thank us for it someday! haha!
Haha, that's true! We can only hope they appreciate all our efforts one day, right? But it's rewarding enough seeing them learn and grow with these valuable skills.

Haha, that's true! We can only hope they appreciate all our efforts one day, right? But it's rewarding enough seeing them learn and grow with these valuable skills.
It sure is a relief to see our efforts as parents bear fruit! They say every child is different and you never know how your parenting is doing until they become adults. But it's exciting to see our kids develop their own personalities and character, especially when they show kindness and responsibility!

It gives us hope when our children turn out well, considering the countless ways we've screwed up as parents :joy:. But yes, it's their little personalities that make it all worthwhile - that spark of individuality shines through and makes every exhausting moment worth it.

My five-year old has recently started noticing people beyond his little bubble - he asked me to give an ice cream to a homeless man because 'he looks sad'. Sure, I want him to develop into a young man with business acumen, but more than that, I hope he retains this empathy and awareness of others' feelings. Watching them grow up certainly keeps us on our toes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu