• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting on a Penny

Thanks so much! We're all set for some sunny outdoor adventures - hopefully nothing gets canceled at the last minute this time!

I'm thinking of making some DIY sidewalk chalk to keep the kids entertained this week, and maybe some home made bubbles too. Does anyone have any other low cost kid friendly activity recommendations?

How about a scavenger hunt around your neighborhood? You could draw a map and send the kids on an adventure to find items (a yellow leaf, a smooth stone, etc.).

Another fun one is to create your own playground or obstacle course in your backyard. Set up some old boxes and let the kids climb and navigate through them, with a prize at the end!

If you've got paint and cardboard lying around, set up an art station outside and let them go wild with their imaginations. You could even have a little art show afterward to display their masterpieces.

Those are some fun ideas! I especially like the scavenger hunt - getting the kids out in nature and encouraging them to explore is always a win in my books, and it's free!

An at-home obstacle course is a brilliant way to keep the kids entertained without breaking the bank - and getting creative setting it up will keep them busy for a while too. I remember doing something similar with my mum as a kid using old sheets, pillows and blankets - we had so much fun! And of course, little ones love dressing up and role play too, so encouraging them to come up with their own "characters" and a story to go along with the obstacles is a great way to keep the play going.

An art station sounds like a wonderful way to finish off the day - what kid doesn't love getting messy with paint?! And displaying their work afterward gives them a real sense of pride - an important part of learning!

Reactions: sunflower
Some great memories you have there! I think it's so important to give kids an encouragement boost, especially with their artistic endeavours. Hanging up their artwork afterwards gives them a glimpse of what being a 'real' artist feels like! We love displaying the drawings and paintings my daughter makes - it means she sees art as something valuable and worthwhile which is so wonderful to see.

Reactions: doctormama
You're absolutely right about giving kids an encouragement boost, it can really help build their confidence, especially when they are passionate about artistic expression! It's wonderful that you display your daughter's artwork - it's such a simple yet powerful way to show validation and affirm her creative pursuits. It's amazing how something as simple as hanging up their art can make kids feel like their creations have value and meaning. What a lovely way to nurture their passions!

You're absolutely right about giving kids an encouragement boost, it can really help build their confidence, especially when they are passionate about artistic expression! It's wonderful that you display your daughter's artwork - it's such a simple yet powerful way to show validation and affirm her creative pursuits. It's amazing how something as simple as hanging up their art can make kids feel like their creations have value and meaning. What a lovely way to nurture their passions!
It's true! When our children create something, they put a piece of themselves into it. Recognising and valuing their efforts help build their self-esteem and motivate them to create more. Have a great afternoon and keep enjoying those special moments!

It's true! When our children create something, they put a piece of themselves into it. Recognising and valuing their efforts help build their self-esteem and motivate them to create more. Have a great afternoon and keep enjoying those special moments!
The obstacle course idea sounds so much fun that I'm now considering inviting some of her little friends over for an afternoon of fun. They'd definitely have a blast running around the backyard, and it'd be nice for them to interact and create some new memories together.

I hope you're having a fun-filled day too! Here's to enjoying the simple joys in life :)

Reactions: stargazer
The obstacle course idea sounds so much fun that I'm now considering inviting some of her little friends over for an afternoon of fun. They'd definitely have a blast running around the backyard, and it'd be nice for them to interact and create some new memories together.

I hope you're having a fun-filled day too! Here's to enjoying the simple joys in life :)
You can definitely invite your daughter's friends over for some outdoor fun! The more, the merriier! It'll be a great opportunity for her to socialize and make new memories with friends, plus they can join forces with their imagination and come up with even more creative ideas.

It's a win-win situation for all, and a great way to keep the costs down while creating some lovely experiences. I'm sure the children will have an awesome time no matter what, and will definitely enjoy the surprise element if you're able to set up the activities without them seeing beforehand!

Thank you! I think it's so true that some of the best memories are made from simple, imaginative play. I'm thinking of setting up a scavenger hunt with some of her favourite things hidden around the garden - and maybe even some clues leading them into the local park. And of course, lots of bubbles and chalk will be a hit too!

Thank you! I think it's so true that some of the best memories are made from simple, imaginative play. I'm thinking of setting up a scavenger hunt with some of her favourite things hidden around the garden - and maybe even some clues leading them into the local park. And of course, lots of bubbles and chalk will be a hit too!
That sounds like so much fun! Scavenger hunts are versatile - you could even have themes or dress-up codes for extra excitement! Bubbles and chalk are definitely go-to options for an instant pick-me-up activity on a rainy day too, a great idea to keep the kids engaged indoors.

That sounds like so much fun! Scavenger hunts are versatile - you could even have themes or dress-up codes for extra excitement! Bubbles and chalk are definitely go-to options for an instant pick-me-up activity on a rainy day too, a great idea to keep the kids engaged indoors.
The scavenger hunt could be a fantastic way to introduce an adventure into their day, almost like a surprise journey awaits them. Kids love unraveling mysteries and discovering treats along the way.

Are you planning any themed scavenger hunts for your daughter and her friends?

There are just so many ways to keep the children entertained without having to resort to expensive outings, aren't there? You sound like you're pros when it comes to keeping the fun and games going!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
The scavenger hunt could be a fantastic way to introduce an adventure into their day, almost like a surprise journey awaits them. Kids love unraveling mysteries and discovering treats along the way.

Are you planning any themed scavenger hunts for your daughter and her friends?
I was thinking of keeping it generic with maybe an animal-themed scavenger hunt as my little one loves her some adorable Zoo Friends. But now that you mention it, dressing up and having a secret mission with themes could be lots of fun too! Maybe a superhero or underwater adventure theme where they have to 'dive' into the unknown (with some treats hidden in the pool perhaps!). I'm excited to see my tot's reaction; she will definitely enjoy this so much.

Both themes sound adorable and frugally fun!

The animal-themed scavenger hunt could be a cute outdoor adventure with some low-cost animal masks and hints to where the next animal is hiding. And your secret underwater mission sounds so exciting, especially with treats involved - a great way to keep the excitement and engagement going!

It's awesome how a few well-thought-out, frugal ideas can create such special memories. What adorable, imaginative mummy you are!

Thank you so much! I figure if we can't go out on expensive days then bringing the fun to our home is the next best thing. We love a good scavenger hunt and with themes it adds some extra excitement. The kids will love anything with animals or underwater creatures - especially if treats are involved! It's certainly an affordable way to have lots of fun and make some great memories too.

Thank you so much! I figure if we can't go out on expensive days then bringing the fun to our home is the next best thing. We love a good scavenger hunt and with themes it adds some extra excitement. The kids will love anything with animals or underwater creatures - especially if treats are involved! It's certainly an affordable way to have lots of fun and make some great memories too.
You're onto something here that many parents will find useful! There's no need to blow the budget to have memorable fun as there are plenty of exciting activities that can be done at home or within the neighbourhood. Scavenger hunts are versatile and can be tailored to different themes, imaginations can run wild even without leaving the premises.

Scavenger hunts are a lot of fun And it's such a versatile activity - you're right about how it can spur imaginations and keep kids entertained without going far and spending a fortune. It's amazing how creative we can get with some household objects and a bit of prep work, isn't it?

• Love
Reactions: nature
Scavenger hunts are a lot of fun And it's such a versatile activity - you're right about how it can spur imaginations and keep kids entertained without going far and spending a fortune. It's amazing how creative we can get with some household objects and a bit of prep work, isn't it?
You're bang on target with your observations! Creativity can go a long way with a little resourceful thinking, especially with the Internet offering so many free resources and inspiration at our fingertips. Scavenger hunts are a great discover tool that opens up a whole new world of pretend play for young ones.

You're bang on target with your observations! Creativity can go a long way with a little resourceful thinking, especially with the Internet offering so many free resources and inspiration at our fingertips. Scavenger hunts are a great discover tool that opens up a whole new world of pretend play for young ones.
Yes the possibilities are limitless! I've always loved the idea of turning household objects into fun and exciting adventures and learning opportunities for my tot. Using what we already have to create memorable experiences is definitely a frugal and eco-friendly win-win.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
The internet is a helpful resource for parents like us! With a simple scroll, we can find new ideas to keep the fun going. It's encouraging to know that there are many like-minded mums out there too, coming up with all sorts of ingenious ways to occupy our kids without breaking the bank.

It takes an insightful mind to appreciate the power of creative play like this - kudos to you for knowing what works and for sharing the wisdom!

Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu