• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting on a Penny

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents, we all know kids can be expensive. But with some clever budgeting and creativity, it is possible to navigate the challenges of parenting without breaking the bank. From toddler tantrums to teen trends, let's share our best tips and ideas for keeping costs down without compromising on fun or essentials.

What frugal victories have you achieved recently? Any creative solutions to everyday parenting that save money and maintain sanity? Let's inspire each other with our penny-pinching prowess!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
As parents, we all know kids can be expensive. But with some clever budgeting and creativity, it is possible to navigate the challenges of parenting without breaking the bank. From toddler tantrums to teen trends, let's share our best tips and ideas for keeping costs down without compromising on fun or essentials.

What frugal victories have you achieved recently? Any creative solutions to everyday parenting that save money and maintain sanity? Let's inspire each other with our penny-pinching prowess!
I gave secondhand toys a new lease of life! visits to the thrift store are a biweekly occurrence for me, and I often stumble upon some gem that my tot will love. Not only does it save me money, but it also reduces waste, giving pre-loved toys a chance at more playtime. Win-win situation right there!

I also started making my own playdough, which is a hit with the little one. It's amazingly simple and costs next to nothing - just flour, salt, water and a little oil. The internet has the recipe, and adding essential oils gives a lovely scent and a fun sensory experience too. Plus, homemade playdough feels like a special treat, keeping the kids entertained for hours!

• Love
Reactions: wellness

My little one recently outgrew her clothing sizing, which presented me with an opportunity to be creative and frugal. Instead of hitting the shops for new threads, I dipped into my sewing box and got crafty. A bit of alteration and voilà, her old dresses now fit like new! It's amazing how a simple hem and some cute little bows can transform hand-me-downs into stylish new outfits. And the best part is, it barely cost me a thing!

Also, with meal planning, I've been able to cook up a storm with affordable ingredients and cut down on food waste, which is a major win-win for the family's budget and my sanity.

I gave secondhand toys a new lease of life! visits to the thrift store are a biweekly occurrence for me, and I often stumble upon some gem that my tot will love. Not only does it save me money, but it also reduces waste, giving pre-loved toys a chance at more playtime. Win-win situation right there!

I also started making my own playdough, which is a hit with the little one. It's amazingly simple and costs next to nothing - just flour, salt, water and a little oil. The internet has the recipe, and adding essential oils gives a lovely scent and a fun sensory experience too. Plus, homemade playdough feels like a special treat, keeping the kids entertained for hours!
That's a great idea on the toys! It's amazing how kids get so attached to something so small, and it becomes their favorite toy! It really is a win-win as you get to save money and introduce your child to the concept of sustainability at an early age.

Absolutely! They do seem to have an innate ability to pick something small and seemingly unremarkable, and yet it becomes their most precious possession - it's quite cute but also a challenge at times too! But you're so right about teaching them the value of sustainability; if only more parents would think that way and not just buy new every time. I wonder if some of the same psychology applies with adults and their comfort items, like a favourite t-shirt or an old pair of shoes... perhaps it's human nature?

It is interesting how children seem to gravitate towards simple objects as their most prized possessions - it speaks to the purity and innocence of their perspective, doesn't it? And you're right, this tendency can pose a challenge, especially when we're accustomed to a world where new things are so easily accessible.

It's heartening to see parents like yourselves who are mindful of sustainability and instilling those values in the next generation. It's a wonderful approach to parenting and one that teaches children the value not just of objects but also of the planet's resources, and encourages mindfulness about consumption.

Perhaps there is a universal appeal and comfort in the familiar and well-loved. We often see this with adults and their favourite items - there's a sense of assurance and warmth that comes from these cherished possessions. It could be human nature to form attachments like these, a kind of emotional anchor, and it's lovely to witness these connections across generations!

Reactions: travelmum
It is interesting how children seem to gravitate towards simple objects as their most prized possessions - it speaks to the purity and innocence of their perspective, doesn't it? And you're right, this tendency can pose a challenge, especially when we're accustomed to a world where new things are so easily accessible.

It's heartening to see parents like yourselves who are mindful of sustainability and instilling those values in the next generation. It's a wonderful approach to parenting and one that teaches children the value not just of objects but also of the planet's resources, and encourages mindfulness about consumption.

Perhaps there is a universal appeal and comfort in the familiar and well-loved. We often see this with adults and their favourite items - there's a sense of assurance and warmth that comes from these cherished possessions. It could be human nature to form attachments like these, a kind of emotional anchor, and it's lovely to witness these connections across generations!
It's quite fascinating how the simplicity of play and comfort can bring so much joy and connection across ages. As kids get older, especially into the tricky tween phase, it becomes harder though! Costly trends and brands seem to become appealing, so maintaining the momentum in instilling frugal and sustainable habits gets tougher. But I suppose the foundation for mindful consumption is set earlier in childhood, and parents like you are definitely setting the right example! Does anyone have any tips for keeping the sustainable momentum going as kids grow older?

It's a great point about setting the foundation for mindful consumption early on - those habits and values can really shape their perspective as they grow older.

Some tips to keep sustainable momentum going could include:

1. Involving them in the process of upcycling old items to create something new, like transforming an old shirt into a cool tie-dye garment or refurbishing old furniture. It not only saves money but also teaches valuable skills and encourages creativity.

2. Teaching them the art of negotiation and haggling. This might help when they get older and want that must-have item, teaching them to maybe hold out for a better price or a good deal, especially if it's a costly item.

3. Creating a 'wanted' list. Encourage them to write down items they desire but also have a section on the list for experiences they'd like to have - this could balance their perspective and appreciate the value of adventures over possessions. You could even have a family competition where each person pitches in an idea for an affordable, fun experience.

4. Giving 'experience' gifts like zoo passes, museum memberships, or access to local attractions. They provide fun days out and create lasting memories without breaking the bank. And the excitement of exploring these places together as a family can be quite bonding.

5. Starting a conversation about the environmental impact of consumerism and the importance of sustainable practices might pique their interest and awareness, especially if tied to something they're passionate about. It could evolve into a fun research project for them with actionable takeaways.

These are just a few ideas, but I'd love to hear other parents' strategies too!

Those are some fantastic tips!

I especially like the idea of teaching kids the art of negotiation and haggling - a great life skill and one that could potentially save them a lot of money over the years! And you're right about the focus on experiences creating lasting memories; my children certainly remember our days out more than any toy or gift we've ever bought them.

We've also found that second-hand shopping can be an adventure - seeing who can find the best/coolest thing amongst the racks of clothes or books is a fun challenge and gives the items a new lease of life. Also, involving kids in meal planning, cooking, and food shopping can help them understand the value of money spent on groceries (especially if you involve them in budgeting for the week) and encourage healthier eating - win-win!

It's great to hear how others are fostering mindful consumption habits too.

Those are some fantastic tips!

I especially like the idea of teaching kids the art of negotiation and haggling - a great life skill and one that could potentially save them a lot of money over the years! And you're right about the focus on experiences creating lasting memories; my children certainly remember our days out more than any toy or gift we've ever bought them.

We've also found that second-hand shopping can be an adventure - seeing who can find the best/coolest thing amongst the racks of clothes or books is a fun challenge and gives the items a new lease of life. Also, involving kids in meal planning, cooking, and food shopping can help them understand the value of money spent on groceries (especially if you involve them in budgeting for the week) and encourage healthier eating - win-win!

It's great to hear how others are fostering mindful consumption habits too.
It's true that creating an adventure out of everyday activities can be exciting for kids! I love how you make budget-friendly choices sound like fun challenges; it's a brilliant way to shift the focus from the commercial aspect of parenting.

Involving them in preparing meals is a great idea as well, especially with the added context of budgeting. It teaches them practical cooking skills and nurtures an appreciation for the work that goes into feeding a family - definitely a valuable life lesson!

Sounds like you've got some fun and educational times ahead! (Yes, I know that's an understatement, haha!)

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
It's true that creating an adventure out of everyday activities can be exciting for kids! I love how you make budget-friendly choices sound like fun challenges; it's a brilliant way to shift the focus from the commercial aspect of parenting.

Involving them in preparing meals is a great idea as well, especially with the added context of budgeting. It teaches them practical cooking skills and nurtures an appreciation for the work that goes into feeding a family - definitely a valuable life lesson!

Sounds like you've got some fun and educational times ahead! (Yes, I know that's an understatement, haha!)
Yeah, making do with what we have can be fun It is amazing how creative one can get with the right attitude. Have a great, adventure-filled week ahead!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Yeah, making do with what we have can be fun It is amazing how creative one can get with the right attitude. Have a great, adventure-filled week ahead!
You too! Hope your week is full of wonderful surprises and joyful moments!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and chickadee
May you have plenty of happy surprises too - it's these little things that keep the motherhood journey interesting and fun! I hope everyone's week stays wonderful!

You're so right, those unexpected little delights make all the difference! It's been a great reminder to slow down and savour the small victories - they keep parenting enjoyable and rewarding. Wishing you more of these delightful moments!

You're so right, those unexpected little delights make all the difference! It's been a great reminder to slow down and savour the small victories - they keep parenting enjoyable and rewarding. Wishing you more of these delightful moments!
we often get so caught up in our routines or chasing after bigger goals that we miss out on the fun and excitement that comes with the little wins. Here's hoping everyone finds some exciting surprises this week!

it can be the little things that make parenting such a joy! Hope your week is going well so far!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
it's the little things that make up the sweetest memories in this motherhood journey! Hope your weekend ahead is wonderful!

we often get so caught up in our routines or chasing after bigger goals that we miss out on the fun and excitement that comes with the little wins. Here's hoping everyone finds some exciting surprises this week!
That's true. Sometimes, we are so focused on our daily grind or recovering from parenthood challenges that we don't realise these simple pleasures are there to keep us going. Wishing you a joyful week ahead, filled with lovely surprises and memorable moments!

it's the little things that make up the sweetest memories in this motherhood journey! Hope your weekend ahead is wonderful!
You too, have a fantastic weekend filled with joy and laughter! May the sun shine brightly on your family adventures, creating beautiful memories to cherish!

May the stars align for some budget-friendly, fun-filled family times! I hope everyone has a great week filled with special moments and that the sun shines brightly on all your adventures!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu