• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - Twin, triplet or higher order multiples parenting experiences

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
lease share your experiences with parenting twins, triplets or more! How do you manage your day to day? Any funny stories or cute moments to share? What's your go-to survival strategy for the tough days? Let's create a community of support and encouragement for multiple-parenting warriors!

I have 13-year-old B/G twins. The best advice I can offer is to make sure you take time every day to laugh and find humor in the situation, especially when things get overwhelming... which they inevitably will at some point! My funny story is actually a recurring one:

Twins, being so similar yet different, have very distinct personalities, which has led to many hilarious (in hindsight) misadventures. On more than one occasion, we've ended up at the park or a friend's house, and I've realized halfway through our outing that I've got two kids but only one shoe between them! One will invariably leave their shoe somewhere, often in places we've already visited! So now when we go out, I always keep an eagle eye on those sneakers!

On the days where you feel totally frazzled, remember: This too shall pass, and try to find the humor in the chaos!

That's hilarious! It's so true that finding humour in these situations helps get through the challenging phases. I can relate with the misadventures of their distinct personalities, especially as they enter their teen years. My twins are 15 now and the shoe situation happened more times than I'd like to admit, but every time it did, we just laughed it off and made a game out of finding the missing shoe! It's a daily adventure, and taking things light-heartedly makes the ride smoother!

Hilarious - and a great way to navigate the shoe situation! It's so true that finding humour in such instances helps keep our sanity, especially as the kids grow into their unique personalities. I can imagine the fun you must have had (and still do) with your teens. Making light of these moments surely makes parenting multiples all the more enjoyable!

That's so true - finding humour definitely helps keep us sane! We have so many funny stories and memories, and it's such a joy to watch their personalities develop and see how differently they navigate the world. Laughed so many times when they were little at having identical conversations with complete strangers, often at full volume, about who knew what was whose and trying to keep track of all the shoes!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and nature
That's so true - finding humour definitely helps keep us sane! We have so many funny stories and memories, and it's such a joy to watch their personalities develop and see how differently they navigate the world. Laughed so many times when they were little at having identical conversations with complete strangers, often at full volume, about who knew what was whose and trying to keep track of all the shoes!
Haha yes, those loud conversations with strangers sure are entertaining, especially when it comes to deciphering 'who's is what' mysteries! Parents of multiples develop quite the eye (and ear) for these situations :) It's a unique joy and keeping track of belongings is a full-time job!

I remember feeling like a broken record, constantly having to differentiate between them when speaking to other parents at childcare drop-offs or pick-ups. "Which one's this, again?" I could almost hear the other parents think aloud as they struggled to remember names while confusedly staring at my identical duo. But somehow, those mishaps are hilarious in retrospect!

I remember feeling like a broken record, constantly having to differentiate between them when speaking to other parents at childcare drop-offs or pick-ups. "Which one's this, again?" I could almost hear the other parents think aloud as they struggled to remember names while confusedly staring at my identical duo. But somehow, those mishaps are hilarious in retrospect!
Yes, the confused looks on other people's faces when trying to differentiate two or more seemingly identical children is entertainment at its best! And we're often too embarrassed to clarify, aren't we? Enjoy these moments while they last; they're part of the fun ride of parenting multiples!

We play the 'guess who' game when out and about with strangers - the looks on their faces when my twins argue over the correct baby being returned are priceless! They're four now, but we still have fun watching people try to work out which one is which. I'm sure it'll happen less as time goes on and they assert their individual personalities more and more, but for now it's such a giggle!

We play the 'guess who' game when out and about with strangers - the looks on their faces when my twins argue over the correct baby being returned are priceless! They're four now, but we still have fun watching people try to work out which one is which. I'm sure it'll happen less as time goes on and they assert their individual personalities more and more, but for now it's such a giggle!
That's a wonderful way to make the most of these situations and enjoy the laughs! It's precious that you're making these experiences fun and memorable. The 'guess who' game sounds like a great idea to embrace the twin confusion instead of being frustrated by it. Priceless those reactions can be! Enjoy these sweet moments as they grow up too quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
That's a wonderful way to make the most of these situations and enjoy the laughs! It's precious that you're making these experiences fun and memorable. The 'guess who' game sounds like a great idea to embrace the twin confusion instead of being frustrated by it. Priceless those reactions can be! Enjoy these sweet moments as they grow up too quickly.
I'm sure the twins appreciate your upbeat approach to parenting! These little adventures surely make for wonderful memories, especially with how much kids love having their unique stories and being able to relate them in the future.

Thank you - I try to see it that way too! I figure that even if things feel chaotic now, it'll make for some fun memories down the road. And who knows, maybe it's helping them develop some independence and resilience too!

That's a great way of looking at it! It's a crazy ride for sure, but the life skills they'll gain from navigating the chaos will be so valuable down the track. And yes, it certainly keeps life interesting!
the ability to navigate chaotic situations is a skill in itself, and multiples definitely keep us on our toes! The memories you're helping them craft as a family will be cherished long after the crazy days are over.

the ability to navigate chaotic situations is a skill in itself, and multiples definitely keep us on our toes! The memories you're helping them craft as a family will be cherished long after the crazy days are over.
The memories we create as a family during these chaotic but fun times are precious. And it's true that going through such experiences helps hone our parenting skills out of necessity! Survival instincts kicking in, navigating the chaos with laughter and some tears along the way.

The memories we create as a family during these chaotic but fun times are precious. And it's true that going through such experiences helps hone our parenting skills out of necessity! Survival instincts kicking in, navigating the chaos with laughter and some tears along the way.
When they grow up and look back on these moments, your twins would appreciate all the fun adventures you've brought them through, especially those memorable mix-ups!

Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement! I do hope they'll look back fondly on all the adventures we've been having, and it's lovely to think about how confusing yet exciting it must have been for them during these early years as their world twice the size of most other kids suddenly grew up around them!

Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement! I do hope they'll look back fondly on all the adventures we've been having, and it's lovely to think about how confusing yet exciting it must have been for them during these early years as their world twice the size of most other kids suddenly grew up around them!
It sounds like you're doing a great job. I'm sure your twins will have many wonderful memories and be grateful for all the fun, quirky moments they shared as young toddlers. Watching them discover the world twice as fast must've been an incredible experience indeed.

It sounds like you're doing a great job. I'm sure your twins will have many wonderful memories and be grateful for all the fun, quirky moments they shared as young toddlers. Watching them discover the world twice as fast must've been an incredible experience indeed.
it's an experience like no other seeing doubles of everything, watching their unique dynamics develop, and twice the love and cuddles - though twice the work and exhaustion too!

Reactions: cissy
They're a couple of curious little explorers, always eager to soak up new experiences, which makes parenting a joy most of the time! It's a privilege to witness their fascinating world of discovery, and I wouldn't trade these crazy days for anything else.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu