• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples tips welcome!

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The discussion focused on parenting multiples and several parents shared their experiences and tips. There was agreement that creating a daily routine is beneficial, as it helps both the parents and children know what to expect, reducing the likelihood of meltdowns. Additionally, dedicating some one-on-one time with each child, even if it's just brief moments, was highlighted as important for strengthening individual bonds and encouraging good behaviour.

Parents also shared ideas for activities and strategies to make parenting multiples easier. Suggestions included scavenger hunts, setting up a snack station with special treats, and creating a 'Treasure Box' filled with small, inexpensive rewards for good behaviour or as incentives. This helped foster independence and encouraged sharing. The general consensus was that intentional individual attention and manageable, fun activities go a long way in building strong relationships with multiple children.

Another practical tip involved assigning colour-coded items for each child to help them identify their belongings and promote independence. Parents also emphasised the importance of tailoring activities to each child's interests and using treats or rewards creatively. Overall, the discussion was filled with actionable advice and ideas for parents who are navigating the challenges and joys of raising multiples.

Some tips for parenting multiples:

1. Create a routine and stick to it - having a daily schedule helps everyone know what to expect, which can help reduce meltdowns and make life easier for everyone.

2. Make time for one-on-one attention - give each child some individual time with you, whether it's helping with homework or playing a game. This also helps foster bonding individually

3. Don't be afraid to ask for help - parenting multiples is hard work, and accepting help from friends and family can make a big difference. It also ensures you don't burnout.

4. Keep an activity bag or box full of easy, quick go-to activities for when things get chaotic. Having these on hand can entertain the kids when you need some breathing room.

5. Assign colour coded items - giving each child their own specific colour helps them identify their belongings and encourages independence. This works for cups, plates, utensils etc.

6. Keep an open dialogue with other parents of multiples - we're all in this together! Share tips and tricks that work, and learn from others' experiences too. We can support one another.

Some tips for parenting multiples:

1. Create a routine and stick to it - having a daily schedule helps everyone know what to expect, which can help reduce meltdowns and make life easier for everyone.

2. Make time for one-on-one attention - give each child some individual time with you, whether it's helping with homework or playing a game. This also helps foster bonding individually

3. Don't be afraid to ask for help - parenting multiples is hard work, and accepting help from friends and family can make a big difference. It also ensures you don't burnout.

4. Keep an activity bag or box full of easy, quick go-to activities for when things get chaotic. Having these on hand can entertain the kids when you need some breathing room.

5. Assign colour coded items - giving each child their own specific colour helps them identify their belongings and encourages independence. This works for cups, plates, utensils etc.

6. Keep an open dialogue with other parents of multiples - we're all in this together! Share tips and tricks that work, and learn from others' experiences too. We can support one another.
I totally agree with you on having a routine! Having two young kids myself, I also ensure each of them gets some form of special one-on-one time with me, which they cherish a lot and behave better too!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
That's great to hear! One-on-one time is a fantastic idea - it's so true how much kids crave individual attention, and it's amazing how it encourages good behaviour too. Some quality time with each child helps strengthen that bond too, which is so important when there are multiple kids in the mix!

Absolutely! You really do see the positive impact of one-on-one time with each child; it's a great investment and so helpful for building that individual bond. It can be hard to carve out the time, but worth prioritizing!

It is so true - I try very hard to make sure that each kiddo gets special one on one time with mom or dad every week, and it really does pay off in building those individual bonds and giving them the attention they deserve! I will keep doing this especially now that you've reinforced how beneficial it is!

It's great that you're making an effort to give each of your kids one-on-one attention. It's an easy trap to fall into, where you're so focused on the demands of parenting multiples that you give them less individualized attention. Good on you for recognizing it early and making a deliberate effort to spend quality time with each child!

Thanks! It's so easy to feel stretched thin, especially when they're all needing something at the same time - which is most of the time haha. But it's such good advice and I really want to make an effort with this while they're still young. I'm going to try and set aside some dedicated one-on-one time for each of them every week, even if it's just 15 minutes here and there.

That's a great idea! Even a short amount of dedicated one-on-one time can make a big difference, and it's a lovely way to strengthen your bond with each child. It can be easy to focus on the logistics and demands of parenting multiples, so I'm glad you're making an effort to connect individually with each child. You've got the right idea!

Thanks! I have been trying to figure out how I will manage once they arrive - it's daunting being responsible for two little lives, especially as I want to give each child equal attention and love. So I'm planning some special one-on-one time with each of them every week, even if it's just 15 minutes to start - special cuddles, a story or a walk. I think it will make a big difference for our bond and their sense of individuality too.

Thanks! I have been trying to figure out how I will manage once they arrive - it's daunting being responsible for two little lives, especially as I want to give each child equal attention and love. So I'm planning some special one-on-one time with each of them every week, even if it's just 15 minutes to start - special cuddles, a story or a walk. I think it will make a big difference for our bond and their sense of individuality too.
That's a great idea! It's easy to get overwhelmed preparing for two, so it's good to have a game plan. Short, individual attention-booster sessions like these help build that bond and create special memories!

• Love
Reactions: lioness and mamamia
That's true! It's so important to make one on one time manageable when you have multiples on the way, even if it's just short bursts throughout the day. We can all get creative with our individual attention tricks up our sleeves!

Short bursts of one-on-one time is such a great idea, and it's so true - we mums can certainly get creative with ways to make those moments count! I try to keep up with some mummy-and-me activities, which the kids seem to love, and helps make each child feel special.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and nature
Short bursts of one-on-one time is such a great idea, and it's so true - we mums can certainly get creative with ways to make those moments count! I try to keep up with some mummy-and-me activities, which the kids seem to love, and helps make each child feel special.
It's definitely challenging but super rewarding to make each child feel loved and noticed. My twins are at an age where they're so different from each other, so individual attention is key! I try to keep things interesting with fun activities tailored to their unique personalities. For instance, my more artsy girl loves painting, so we often whip out the easel and paint sets for some creative time together. My energetic boy, on the other hand, enjoys physical play, so we'll head to the park for some running and sliding. Knowing what tickles their fancy makes these special moments easier to plan, and I agree that the effort is worth every bit!

Do you have any fun mummy-and-me activities you've been doing with your littles?

Reactions: eternity
It's definitely challenging but super rewarding to make each child feel loved and noticed. My twins are at an age where they're so different from each other, so individual attention is key! I try to keep things interesting with fun activities tailored to their unique personalities. For instance, my more artsy girl loves painting, so we often whip out the easel and paint sets for some creative time together. My energetic boy, on the other hand, enjoys physical play, so we'll head to the park for some running and sliding. Knowing what tickles their fancy makes these special moments easier to plan, and I agree that the effort is worth every bit!

Do you have any fun mummy-and-me activities you've been doing with your littles?
I enjoy planning mommy-and-me activities too! My five-year-old daughter enjoys a good scavenger hunt. It keeps her engaged and entertained while we spend quality time together. I'll leave trails of clues for her to find, often ending with a fun treat, which she loves! It's simple but effective in keeping her occupied and enhancing our bonding moments.

Scavenger hunts are an awesome idea! My twins are 4 and their attention spans have increased tenfold over the past year, so this would be a great way to keep them engaged together. I like the treat ending - a great reward for their efforts! Clue difficulty can be tailored too which is excellent. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, scavenger hunts are a hit with my twins too and I love how adaptable they are - we've done them inside, outside, at home, when visiting family - so many options! And such an easy way to keep everyone entertained and engaged. We usually end them with ice cream or a small toy which helps with the "it's over" tantrums ;-). Enjoy planning your first one!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
That's a great idea! I love the adaptability, and the way you can change it up each time to keep things interesting. ending with a little treat is a fabulous idea too - might have to steal that one!

That's a great idea! I love the adaptability, and the way you can change it up each time to keep things interesting. ending with a little treat is a fabulous idea too - might have to steal that one!
Yup, ending with a little treat or prize is always a fun element! My girl loves finding the hidden snack at the end! Makes it extra special.

Yup, ending with a little treat or prize is always a fun element! My girl loves finding the hidden snack at the end! Makes it extra special.
Yummy! A secret snack is a delightful way to end the week!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Set up a snack station! I keep a basket full of individually packaged treats, and let them pick out one snack a day. It's helped with my twins' sharing and also taught them about taking turns because they know they each get their own special snack time. And it's fun for them to look forward to too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu