• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting life hacks

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We all want parenting to be as stress free as possible and sometimes a handy tip or two can make life so much easier! Do you have any simple "hacks" that make your life as a parent easier?

I'll start!

- Keep a small container of toys in the bathroom for your little ones. Bath time can be a great distraction when they're bored and it's a quick fix to keep them entertained while you shower or bathe.

What other simple tips do you have to make parenting life easier?

We all want parenting to be as stress free as possible and sometimes a handy tip or two can make life so much easier! Do you have any simple "hacks" that make your life as a parent easier?

I'll start!

- Keep a small container of toys in the bathroom for your little ones. Bath time can be a great distraction when they're bored and it's a quick fix to keep them entertained while you shower or bathe.

What other simple tips do you have to make parenting life easier?
Keeping a stash of healthy, kid-friendly snacks in the car is one of my go-to hacks! It's a lifesaver during hungry meltdowns and saves me from making unnecessary pit stops.

Another one is having a family calendar - a physical, old-school calendar hanging on the fridge - where everyone can see and record their activities and appointments. Saves me from missing that soccer game or music lesson!

Keeping a stash of healthy, kid-friendly snacks in the car is one of my go-to hacks! It's a lifesaver during hungry meltdowns and saves me from making unnecessary pit stops.

Another one is having a family calendar - a physical, old-school calendar hanging on the fridge - where everyone can see and record their activities and appointments. Saves me from missing that soccer game or music lesson!
Yup, calendar's a helpful one! And keeping those snacks handy is also a great idea, definitely not limited to car rides. Avoids the constant beckoning of fast food when the tummy rumbles strike!

I find that having dedicated 'busy bins' around the house comes in super useful too. They're basically just accessible totes filled with age-appropriate activities, so even if my little one seems bored, he can pick something safe and suitable to entertain himself. I rotate the items every few weeks for some variety.

Yup, calendar's a helpful one! And keeping those snacks handy is also a great idea, definitely not limited to car rides. Avoids the constant beckoning of fast food when the tummy rumbles strike!

I find that having dedicated 'busy bins' around the house comes in super useful too. They're basically just accessible totes filled with age-appropriate activities, so even if my little one seems bored, he can pick something safe and suitable to entertain himself. I rotate the items every few weeks for some variety.
Having some independent playtime activities is a great idea! My toddler enjoys his alone time too - keeps him engaged while giving me some much-needed time to cook or finish up some work. I usually set up a simple activity like a sensory bin or some sort of art project, and he's quite content with his 'special time'.

Reactions: happyfeet
Having some independent playtime activities is a great idea! My toddler enjoys his alone time too - keeps him engaged while giving me some much-needed time to cook or finish up some work. I usually set up a simple activity like a sensory bin or some sort of art project, and he's quite content with his 'special time'.
Sensory bins are so fun and Mess-free arts and crafts too! My go-to is keeping it old school with chalk - always a hit and easy to pack up when my little one is done.

Sensory bins are so fun and Mess-free arts and crafts too! My go-to is keeping it old school with chalk - always a hit and easy to pack up when my little one is done.
Chalk is an outdoor activity though, and a good way to get the kids to have some vitamin D. I also like to keep some bubble solution on hand; bubbles never seem to fail in captivating my kiddo for a bit!

Chalk is an outdoor activity though, and a good way to get the kids to have some vitamin D. I also like to keep some bubble solution on hand; bubbles never seem to fail in captivating my kiddo for a bit!
You're right! Getting some sunlight and fresh air is definitely a plus, and bubbles are a classic favorite! I should've mentioned that we also have an indoor alternative for days when the weather isn't permitting - a reusable chalkboard with a hanging eraser that keeps him occupied just as well :)

You're right! Getting some sunlight and fresh air is definitely a plus, and bubbles are a classic favorite! I should've mentioned that we also have an indoor alternative for days when the weather isn't permitting - a reusable chalkboard with a hanging eraser that keeps him occupied just as well :)
That's true - a chalkboard is a fun indoor activity, especially with the erase feature you mentioned. A reusable surface definitely cuts down on the mess and chalk dust! Anything to keep them engaged and let Mom breathe haha.

That's true - a chalkboard is a fun indoor activity, especially with the erase feature you mentioned. A reusable surface definitely cuts down on the mess and chalk dust! Anything to keep them engaged and let Mom breathe haha.
Yeah, the chalkboard has been a lifesaver on many occasions! Looks like most of us here have got a good bag of parenting tricks up our sleeve!

Yeah, the chalkboard has been a lifesaver on many occasions! Looks like most of us here have got a good bag of parenting tricks up our sleeve!
Indeed, it's great to have an array of options, especially since every child is different, and what works for one might not work for another. Shareable tips like these are helpful in expanding our repertoire!

Indeed, it's great to have an array of options, especially since every child is different, and what works for one might not work for another. Shareable tips like these are helpful in expanding our repertoire!
Having a variety of options at hand is definitely helpful in capturing their attention and keeping things exciting. Parenting sure comes with many challenges, but forums like these make them a little more manageable! Any other simple yet effective life hacks?

Reactions: stargazer
Having a variety of options at hand is definitely helpful in capturing their attention and keeping things exciting. Parenting sure comes with many challenges, but forums like these make them a little more manageable! Any other simple yet effective life hacks?
Simple yet effective life hacks that make parenting easier... Hmm, I find that creating a little fort using their favorite cartoon bedsheet works wonders in getting my kid to stay put - it's exciting for some reason! Or you could whip up a scavenger hunt with household items. It keeps them active and engaged while keeping the boredom away.

For the times when I really need some focused me-time, like work calls or meals (bless quiet mealtimes), I'd break out the tablet and let my child watch her favorite show. Nothing too extravagant, but it serves as a nice little pause button for me to catch a breather!

Simple yet effective life hacks that make parenting easier... Hmm, I find that creating a little fort using their favorite cartoon bedsheet works wonders in getting my kid to stay put - it's exciting for some reason! Or you could whip up a scavenger hunt with household items. It keeps them active and engaged while keeping the boredom away.

For the times when I really need some focused me-time, like work calls or meals (bless quiet mealtimes), I'd break out the tablet and let my child watch her favorite show. Nothing too extravagant, but it serves as a nice little pause button for me to catch a breather!
Tablet time is a great way to have some peaceful time for yourself. My kid's love of youtube kids has definitely bought me many moments of peace especially when i really need to concentrate on something. Having quiet activities that they can do themselves like playdough or coloring also helps!

Tablet time is a great way to have some peaceful time for yourself. My kid's love of youtube kids has definitely bought me many moments of peace especially when i really need to concentrate on something. Having quiet activities that they can do themselves like playdough or coloring also helps!
I'm loving all these ideas - they're simple, easy to set up, and don't require much prep work or shopping! Playdough is a new one for me, but it seems like a fantastic idea especially if the kids are engaged in molding and creating.

I'm loving all these ideas - they're simple, easy to set up, and don't require much prep work or shopping! Playdough is a new one for me, but it seems like a fantastic idea especially if the kids are engaged in molding and creating.
Playdough can certainly occupy them for a good quiet afternoon, and it's a great sensory play option! But tablet time is hard to beat when Mom needs some uninterrupted time for work or relaxation. It's a go-to babysitter in many households nowadays!

Playdough can certainly occupy them for a good quiet afternoon, and it's a great sensory play option! But tablet time is hard to beat when Mom needs some uninterrupted time for work or relaxation. It's a go-to babysitter in many households nowadays!
Yes, I couldn't agree more! Tablet time has become a saving grace for many parents these days, including myself! It's like having an extra pair of helping hands, or rather, a helping screen! ;)

Yes, I couldn't agree more! Tablet time has become a saving grace for many parents these days, including myself! It's like having an extra pair of helping hands, or rather, a helping screen! ;)
Tablets are definitely a Godsend especially for stay-home-parents like us. A little screen time doesn't hurt anybody and it buys me precious cooking time! I love the suggestions you guys have been sharing - it's amazing how resourceful and creative we can get as parents! Parenting is such an adventure.

Tablets are definitely a Godsend especially for stay-home-parents like us. A little screen time doesn't hurt anybody and it buys me precious cooking time! I love the suggestions you guys have been sharing - it's amazing how resourceful and creative we can get as parents! Parenting is such an adventure.
All these ideas shared are fantastic ways to keep the kids engaged! It definitely helps other parents like myself who are always on the lookout for new, simple ways to keep our little ones entertained at home without the hassle of prepping or cleaning up huge messes afterwards.

All these ideas shared are fantastic ways to keep the kids engaged! It definitely helps other parents like myself who are always on the lookout for new, simple ways to keep our little ones entertained at home without the hassle of prepping or cleaning up huge messes afterwards.
You guys are a lifesaver! Any other tricks up your sleeves? I'm all ears as I need all the help I can get! haha.

• Wow
Reactions: wisdom
You guys are a lifesaver! Any other tricks up your sleeves? I'm all ears as I need all the help I can get! haha.
There's nothing like a good, old-fashioned game of hide-and-seek! It never fails to keep my kid entertained and active. Also, a tickle fight every once in a while is a great way to keep them giggling and entertained.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu