• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

You're spot on! It's the little things that create precious family memories. often, they are the moments that make the biggest impressions and impact on us parents and shape the persons that our children will grow up to be. Being present to experience and savor these moments is half the battle won.
Being present is so important and something I've really had to work at as a parent. It's too easy to get wrapped up in capturing the moment on camera or worrying about other things, but being there and engaging fully definitely enhances the experience for everyone.

That's so true! I find that when I'm focused on taking photos or videos, I'm not really * experiencing the moment as it happens. It's a real skill to be fully present and engage with our kids without distractions.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
That's so true! I find that when I'm focused on taking photos or videos, I'm not really * experiencing the moment as it happens. It's a real skill to be fully present and engage with our kids without distractions.
You're right about how challenging it is to not get caught up in trying to capture the perfect moment on camera. Have you personally created any ways to remind yourself to stay focused on being present or any rituals to help you engage more deeply with your child?

I've started keeping a journal, and I try to write down my most vivid memories of each day - especially the little moments that are easy to forget but so precious! It reminds me to really pay attention because I know I'll want to remember these funny or sweet interactions later on, and it also serves as sort of a mindfulness exercise because it helps me slow down and appreciate each stage.

Also, setting aside dedicated screen-free time has been helpful - no phones or tablets during meals or outtings, just full, undivided attention. It's amazing how much more you notice when you're not trying to capture every little thing! And of course, those rare special moments that ARE worth capturing end up standing out even more.

Great idea! I too have found so much value in journaling - it's amazing how many lovely memories are easy to forget but can be cherished for years to come with a simple log.

And yes, creating screen-free moments is such an important reminder as well - there's so much we miss when our noses are basically glued to the screens! Enjoying the little things and really being present makes parenting so much more fun!

Remembering and cherishing lovely memories - especially in the detail - is such a wonderful idea, it's surprising how quickly they can fade otherwise! It's a great keepsake for our children too when they're older (and us old folks need reminding!).

Creating screen-free moments/time is an ongoing challenge but one that brings so many benefits; not only in creating space to notice and appreciate the little things, but also in modelling healthy habits for our kids - they don't need to see us glued to our screens every spare moment!

What other strategies does everyone use to keep the memory bank full and also create screen-free spaces?

It's a wonderful habit to cultivate, isn't it?! I have a journal where I jot down little memories and fun incidents - it's amazing how funny some of them seem when I look back, and also helps me remember the quirky things they say!

I also keep a photo album, especially for family trips or special occasions. It helps that my phone automatically backs up to Google Photos, so I can quickly scroll through and pick out the best snaps without scrolling through the hundreds of screenshots and memes I have!

We also make it a point to have meal times and car rides as screen-free as possible. They're such simple but effective ways to have meaningful conversations, and I find that taking turns to share our days helps me remember the little things they do and say - often much more entertaining than my adult conversations! Plus, it encourages the kids to ask lots of questions, which is adorable.

We've also set specific 'no phone zones', like the playroom and the dinner table, though we're definitely still working on enforcing that consistently! It's a work in progress, but the benefits are obvious, especially when you see them replicate those habits.

Such amazing ideas! I have a journal too - it's so fun to look back on and remember all the cute things they say and do, plus it'd be so precious to share with them when they're older!

I love the idea of a physical photo album, too - I'm guilty of having thousands of pictures on my phone but never quite getting around to printing them out. It's such a nice way to look back on specific occasions and relive those happy memories. And I totally agree about mealtimes and car rides - some of our best conversations happen then!

'No phone zones' is a brilliant idea that we're also trying to implement. It's so beneficial for creating meaningful, device-free moments and showing the kids the importance of face-to-face interactions... though it's definitely hard work keeping up with it! But the effort is so worth it when you see them embracing those habits.

So true! It's lovely to hear how others find journals and photo albums precious, too. I think the no-phone zones are a great way to really be present as a family and appreciate each other - it's so tempting to rely on devices, but the alternatives are much more meaningful! It definitely requires some discipline, but the habit will be beneficial for everyone. Well done!

Great insights! Meaningful interactions and creating lasting memories are at the heart of it all - devices can certainly facilitate this but they should never become a crutch. It's wonderful to intentionally create spaces for quality family time and meaningful connections!

Absolutely! It's so easy to fall back on devices as a quick fix but being mindful of creating those special moments and memories is such a great approach to parenting. It creates such a beautiful, intentional space for connections and experiences.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu