• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best tips and insights on parenting here!

What worked for you? What do you wish you knew earlier about potty training? Any unexpected challenges or victories to share? Let's create a knowledge base of helpful tips and experiences for parents navigating these waters!

Share your best tips and insights on parenting here!

What worked for you? What do you wish you knew earlier about potty training? Any unexpected challenges or victories to share? Let's create a knowledge base of helpful tips and experiences for parents navigating these waters!
For potty-training, I think the biggest challenge was consistent commitment, especially when my kiddo had an accidental lapse after being potty-trained. I wished I knew that it's normal and temporary regression periods are okay, instead of getting discouraged. What worked best was providing lots of praise and positive reinforcement during the entire process - that seemed to motivate my child!

Regression is so normal - it's almost like a rite of passage! It's wonderful that you've realised the power of praise and positive reinforcement; it's a great tactic for keeping morale high through the ups and downs of training. Well done on keeping your cool and seeing the bigger picture - that's impressive parenting skill right there!

Reactions: sportytina
Thank you so much! Your kind words are very encouraging, especially because I often question my parenting skills (I think most parents do!). It's reassuring to hear that someone thinks I've got it right this time! Haha. I do try to keep a level head, and focus on the bigger picture - which is so easy to forget when you're exhausted and feeling frazzled! Praise really seems to be helping us get through this tricky phase without too many tears (me included!).

Thank you so much! Your kind words are very encouraging, especially because I often question my parenting skills (I think most parents do!). It's reassuring to hear that someone thinks I've got it right this time! Haha. I do try to keep a level head, and focus on the bigger picture - which is so easy to forget when you're exhausted and feeling frazzled! Praise really seems to be helping us get through this tricky phase without too many tears (me included!).
It's natural to doubt yourself as a parent; it's a constant learning curve, and no two children are the same. You've got this! Keep celebrating those small wins; they add up to a big accomplishment!

Reactions: greenfingers
It's wonderful to have some perspective on the situation and to know that other parents go through the same challenges. Parenting can be pretty exhausting, so it's always nice to find out what works best for others; it gives us an expanded toolkit! I find that keeping a consistent routine also helps my sanity, especially with kids' ever-changing schedules and demands. Having some structure to fall back on prevents me from burning out. Also, celebrating milestones and achievements, no matter how small they may seem, is a great way to keep everyone's spirits up!

It's wonderful to have some perspective on the situation and to know that other parents go through the same challenges. Parenting can be pretty exhausting, so it's always nice to find out what works best for others; it gives us an expanded toolkit! I find that keeping a consistent routine also helps my sanity, especially with kids' ever-changing schedules and demands. Having some structure to fall back on prevents me from burning out. Also, celebrating milestones and achievements, no matter how small they may seem, is a great way to keep everyone's spirits up!
Parenting throws many challenges our way, and having a structured plan can definitely help us sanity-wise! Celebrating achievements puts everything in perspective and keeps us focused on the positive. You're right; it's a great way to keep everyone motivated!

What other strategies do you parents use to keep yourselves sane while navigating through the ups and downs of parenting? Any words of wisdom are welcome!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
That's true - having a consistent routine can be a lifesaver! Especially when you have a busy schedule, it helps your child develop good habits and gives them a sense of stability. I find that writing down simple, achievable goals and ticking them off also helps with sanity levels; that way, you feel like you're accomplish something even if some parenting challenges are ongoing. And you're so right about celebrating the small wins - they help create lasting memories and give a positive spin to difficult phases.

Parenting throws many challenges our way, and having a structured plan can definitely help us sanity-wise! Celebrating achievements puts everything in perspective and keeps us focused on the positive. You're right; it's a great way to keep everyone motivated!

What other strategies do you parents use to keep yourselves sane while navigating through the ups and downs of parenting? Any words of wisdom are welcome!
Having some 'me time' also helps to maintain sanity as a parent. It is important to carve out some time for yourself amidst the busy schedule because it helps recharge and reflect, which eventually benefits the children too. Also, making sure the entire family practices self-care ensures everyone's basic needs are met and moods are kept in check!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

Having a consistent routine and structure at home helps me stay sane, especially with young children around. I also rely heavily on my support system; having babysitters or family members occasionally look after the kids gives me some well-needed breaks. I take time to recharge and resets, so I can be patient and energetic when spending quality time with the kids and being there for their emotional needs.

That's true - having a consistent routine can be a lifesaver! Especially when you have a busy schedule, it helps your child develop good habits and gives them a sense of stability. I find that writing down simple, achievable goals and ticking them off also helps with sanity levels; that way, you feel like you're accomplish something even if some parenting challenges are ongoing. And you're so right about celebrating the small wins - they help create lasting memories and give a positive spin to difficult phases.
Having a routine definitely establishes some order amidst the chaos that parenting can be sometimes! I love how focused you are on maintaining your sanity; it's such an important yet often overlooked aspect of parenting. Remembering to take care of yourself while navigating the demands of parenthood is so crucial. And now I'm curious - what achievable goals do you set for yourself and your little one? Any recommendations for keeping track of these goals would be welcome, too!

Reactions: wellness
Routines are a sanity-saver! I find writing things down helps me actually achieve those goals - lists and planners are my go-to's. I set simple, achievable goals like reading to my child every day for 20 minutes and making sure we have one outdoors adventure per week. Having these small, manageable targets keeps things on track. I also try to have a 'special activity' planned each season, something to look forward to and break up the routine - like a parent-child cooking class or trying out swimming lessons. It's fun to have something new every few months!

Any specific family rituals you have formed that help create some order?

Writing everything down and creating a solid routine with simple, achievable goals - I completely agree! It's an awesome way to stay focused and keep things on track, especially with young kids.

We have a couple of specific rituals too which help bring some structure to our days. For instance, every Sunday evening we prepare for the upcoming week - we plan meals, do some light cleaning, and organize any logistics, so everything feels a lot more manageable when Monday rolls around. We also make sure to have some dedicated 'family time' each night after dinner, which often involves board games or watching a fun movie together.

I love the idea of having a special activity every season - something fun to look forward and break up the routine! It's a great way to create special memories too.

Writing everything down and creating a solid routine with simple, achievable goals - I completely agree! It's an awesome way to stay focused and keep things on track, especially with young kids.

We have a couple of specific rituals too which help bring some structure to our days. For instance, every Sunday evening we prepare for the upcoming week - we plan meals, do some light cleaning, and organize any logistics, so everything feels a lot more manageable when Monday rolls around. We also make sure to have some dedicated 'family time' each night after dinner, which often involves board games or watching a fun movie together.

I love the idea of having a special activity every season - something fun to look forward and break up the routine! It's a great way to create special memories too.
Simple rituals like meal planning and family time are so effective at establishing some order, especially when done consistently. That's a lovely idea to have a seasonal special activity; it adds a nice touch of excitement and variety!

[font=arial, sans-serif]Posted via [/font]BabyCenter App on the go[/SIZE]️😊

Seasonal special activities are a lovely way to keep things interesting and create fond memories! I try to come up with new traditions every season - fall is apple picking, winter we decorate the tree together and make gingerbread houses, spring we have a picnic at the park. It's something I look forward too as well!

That sounds delightful! Parenting is all about creating beautiful memories and you're doing a fab job! Keep up the fun traditions - your children will remember these special times forever!
Aww, that's a sweet thing to say. Thank you! I do hope they'll look back on these moments fondly. Continuing these little traditions and creating new ones is a fun aspect of parenting, which thankfully helps to make up for all the challenging moments haha.

Aww, that's a sweet thing to say. Thank you! I do hope they'll look back on these moments fondly. Continuing these little traditions and creating new ones is a fun aspect of parenting, which thankfully helps to make up for all the challenging moments haha.
the little traditions and unique family experiences make parenthood special and worthwhile despite the tough periods.

These little things are what create such a special bond and unique perspective on life, it's true. They're so important - they add character to our otherwise mundane existence and give us those beautiful warm fuzzy moments that make all the hard times worthwhile. We often overlook them as we get caught up in the busy-ness of life, but they're what leave a lasting impression on us, and especially on our kids too I think.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
These little things are what create such a special bond and unique perspective on life, it's true. They're so important - they add character to our otherwise mundane existence and give us those beautiful warm fuzzy moments that make all the hard times worthwhile. We often overlook them as we get caught up in the busy-ness of life, but they're what leave a lasting impression on us, and especially on our kids too I think.
You're spot on! It's the little things that create precious family memories. often, they are the moments that make the biggest impressions and impact on us parents and shape the persons that our children will grow up to be. Being present to experience and savor these moments is half the battle won.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu