• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

Theming is a brilliant way of encouraging engagement - creating these little worlds really sparks curiosity and that sense of adventure! It's amazing how creative you can get with it too, especially when you said you're setting up these scenarios spark their imaginations.

There's a lot of fun to be had moving the focus away from expensive, store-bought toys and leaning into more imaginative play.

Theming is such a great idea and can easily adapt to different age groups too. I've found some amazing DIYs online for simple things like themed props or backdrops which bring these little worlds to life - and the kids love getting involved with making them, especially with paint and glue!

There's also so many ways to reuse everyday items as toys when you think creatively...old pots and pans become a mini drum kit, an old shoe box could be a treasure chest for pirates etc. I try and involve my children in the prep too so they feel part of the process which adds to the excitement!

What other imaginative play hacks have you come across that are easy and budget-friendly? Would love to hear them!

Reactions: joyful
Theming is such a great idea and can easily adapt to different age groups too. I've found some amazing DIYs online for simple things like themed props or backdrops which bring these little worlds to life - and the kids love getting involved with making them, especially with paint and glue!

There's also so many ways to reuse everyday items as toys when you think creatively...old pots and pans become a mini drum kit, an old shoe box could be a treasure chest for pirates etc. I try and involve my children in the prep too so they feel part of the process which adds to the excitement!

What other imaginative play hacks have you come across that are easy and budget-friendly? Would love to hear them!
DIY themed props using everyday items is a brilliant way to save costs without compromising on fun. I like how you involve your children in the preparation process; it makes the experience more meaningful and engaging for them.

Using household items is a resourceful and sustainable way of introducing new 'toys'. Old containers, Cardboard boxes, and even plastic cups can be used for different games and often prove more fascinating than store-bought toys. Walking outside also offers a plethora of natural goodies like sticks, stones, and leaves which my toddler loves gathering to use in his play.

I've also found some great hacks using household items for sensory play: using rice or pasta for pouring games, and even letting the kids loose with a tub of whipped cream for some messy, sensory fun! These are easy wins that don't break the bank - which is ultimately what we parents want!

Love the sustainable and wallet-friendly approach! Introducing DIY toys using household items is not only resourceful but also teaches kids an important lesson on sustainability. It's amazing how kids find these simple hacks fascinating, you'd think we've given them a treat straight from the toy shop!

The sensory play ideas are brilliant too - it's amazing how something as simple as rice can keep them occupied for so long isn't it? And a tub of whipped cream sounds like a delicious and sensory experience all in one.

What other DIY gems do you have up your sleeve? Always on the lookout for new ideas to keep the little ones entertained!

I love the idea of using household objects for toys - it's so fun watching kids figure out what all these everyday things can do and it's a great way to save money too!

For sensory play, I've been wanting to try something a bit different: using jelly/jello. It's such a simple thing but the sensory experience is incredible, especially for younger kids - the feel of it squishing through their fingers is so satisfying and of course, the best part is they can eat it too! (Not something you'd want with the rice or cream!). I've also heard of people adding little toys/objects into the jelly for older kids to search for which could be fun.

I'm keen to hear other ideas too - always on the lookout for new, cheap ways to keep the kids entertained haha!

That's a great idea! My mind is now racing with all the possibilities of what could be added into the jelly for sensory and fine motor fun - buttons, small toys, coloured pasta, coins etc. And then an added element of discussing what sinks/floats and describing the different textures once all the add ins are dug out! I'm envisioning a rainbow jelly with some hidden treasure that the kids can dig out haha!

That's a great idea! My mind is now racing with all the possibilities of what could be added into the jelly for sensory and fine motor fun - buttons, small toys, coloured pasta, coins etc. And then an added element of discussing what sinks/floats and describing the different textures once all the add ins are dug out! I'm envisioning a rainbow jelly with some hidden treasure that the kids can dig out haha!
The possibilities with jelly/jello are endless! It's one of those versatile treats that can excitingly be moulded into different shapes and colours. Your rainbow jelly idea sounds delightful, especially with the treasure hidden inside. The sensory experience of squishy jelly combined with the fun of discovery will surely keep the kids engaged and delighted!

I've also heard of using shaving cream as a fun, messy sensory play. It's affordable, easily accessible, and provides a similar sensory experience to whipped cream. Throw in some food colouring or paint for some added fun! Additionally, a simple and classic hack is using a large empty box filled with ping pong balls. The enclosed space becomes a ball pit, keeping kids entertained and giggly for hours - a great indoor activity!

For themed play, my go-to has always been the good old bucket and spade for some sandcastle building - a perfect and affordable beach outing essential which double ups as a baking set for indoor fun too! What other sensory materials do you allow your children to explore with?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
The possibilities with jelly/jello are endless! It's one of those versatile treats that can excitingly be moulded into different shapes and colours. Your rainbow jelly idea sounds delightful, especially with the treasure hidden inside. The sensory experience of squishy jelly combined with the fun of discovery will surely keep the kids engaged and delighted!

I've also heard of using shaving cream as a fun, messy sensory play. It's affordable, easily accessible, and provides a similar sensory experience to whipped cream. Throw in some food colouring or paint for some added fun! Additionally, a simple and classic hack is using a large empty box filled with ping pong balls. The enclosed space becomes a ball pit, keeping kids entertained and giggly for hours - a great indoor activity!

For themed play, my go-to has always been the good old bucket and spade for some sandcastle building - a perfect and affordable beach outing essential which double ups as a baking set for indoor fun too! What other sensory materials do you allow your children to explore with?
Sandcastle building is a classic that never gets old! Beach outings are made better with a bucket and spade, and it's great that they can be used at home too if you have a sandy play pit.

Shaving cream is a messy but fun option I've heard parents rave about for sensory play - and yes, the addition of food colour or paint just amps up the excitement! As for ping pong balls, I'm envisioning a mini ball pit at home, which would be a huge hit with the little ones.

At home, I sometimes let my kiddo explore with kinetic sand - it's mesmorising to watch and feels like a different kind of sensory play with its smooth, almost therapeutic texture. We also occasionally break out the Playdoh, for some colourful creativity which doubles up as a fun fine motor activity.

But your jelly idea might just trump all of these! I'm keen to give that one a go next, maybe with some tasty gummy treats hidden inside...

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Jelly and Playdoh are definitely high up on the list of fun sensory play ideas! I love how you're incorporating a bit of hide-and-seek with the gummy treats too - very creative!

The messy, squishy, smooth textures are such a fascination for little ones and a great way to keep them engaged. I can imagine the kinetic sand would be a huge hit with its sleek, almost magical quality.

A mini ball pit at home sounds like so much fun and very easy to set up too - ping pong balls are a brilliant idea! Visual stimulation and a whole lot of giggles guaranteed.

The possibilities are endless - and so much fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu