• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting insights in the latest Baby Gear

I agree with you! There's so much emphasis these days on having the newest and most innovative products, but sometimes the classics are still the best. I'm due soon, and while preparing the nursery, I've been thinking along the same lines as you - keeping it simple, natural, and minimal.

I recall my mom using a basic baby monitor with great success and no frills; sometimes, these older models work better than the newest high-tech gadgets! I also loved those good old cloth diapers that are eco-friendly and cost-effective. They did the job just fine without the chemical concerns of disposables or the bulkiness of modern reusable options.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in embracing the tried and tested; it's reassuring to know that these simple solutions have worked for generations! So, I'm curious too - what other old-school gems do parents recommend?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and nature
I agree with you! There's so much emphasis these days on having the newest and most innovative products, but sometimes the classics are still the best. I'm due soon, and while preparing the nursery, I've been thinking along the same lines as you - keeping it simple, natural, and minimal.

I recall my mom using a basic baby monitor with great success and no frills; sometimes, these older models work better than the newest high-tech gadgets! I also loved those good old cloth diapers that are eco-friendly and cost-effective. They did the job just fine without the chemical concerns of disposables or the bulkiness of modern reusable options.

I think there's a lot of wisdom in embracing the tried and tested; it's reassuring to know that these simple solutions have worked for generations! So, I'm curious too - what other old-school gems do parents recommend?
Some old school parenting hacks that are less well known but super useful:

1. A well-ventilated cloth carrier with a simple fabric wrap keeps babies snuggled close while giving you two hands free. It's a traditional Asian style of babywearing that keeps the bubs cool in the tropics - definitely a God-send during our hot and humid Singaporean weather!

2. For newborn feeding, try a small syringe (without the needle, of course!) toteach baby how to latch correctly onto your nipple. It's a simple yet effective way to encourage a good latch, which is super important for breastfeeding mums during those challenging early days.

3. A lightweight wooden or rattan Moses basket is a great portable crib alternative. They're lightweight, breathable and a comfortable sleeping spot for baby. And unlike a full-size crib, it can be easily moved around the house!

There's so much pressure these days to have all the latest gear, but sometimes the simplest solutions are right in front of us! What other traditional wisdom have you ladies found useful? Share your experiences!

Great tips! I especially love the feeding latch tip - such an innovative way to help newborns learn the right technique.

As for my own addition, I'd say making your own baby food is a huge money saver and actually pretty simple. Steaming and blending veggies or fruits yourself lets you control the quality and taste, plus you can freeze portions so there's always a healthy backup option on hand.

And of course, cloth diapers! They've come a long way with modern designs and materials that make them super absorbent and easy to use. They cut down on waste, are gentle on baby's skin, and save you from constantly buying packs of diapers. Plus, they're so cute!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu