• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting insights and shared experiences are welcome in Potty Training

Yes, I'm grateful for this platform where we can openly share our challenges and celebrate each other's wins too! It's like having a support group at our fingertips; definitely makes us feel less alone in this parenting journey.
Having an online community sure helps to provide insights and perspectives from others' experiences, especially when we're sleep-deprived and feeling lost in our parenting journey. Some situations can be so unexpected! It's reassuring to know there's help just a scroll away.

You are not alone in your parenting adventures! Parenting can definitely be a crazy and chaotic journey with many ups and downs, and having a community of parents to rely on for sharing lessons learned is comforting.
That's very true. I'm certainly glad to have this group to turn to for some assurance and perspective. The shared experiences here really help to keep things real!

Reactions: happyfeet
Having an online community sure helps to provide insights and perspectives from others' experiences, especially when we're sleep-deprived and feeling lost in our parenting journey. Some situations can be so unexpected! It's reassuring to know there's help just a scroll away.
You bet! There's a wealth of experience to learn from within this online community. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, we just need a little outside help - especially when sleep-deprived, as you say - to give us new ideas or reassure us that what we're doing is right.

It's heartening to know that many of us are in this together.
It's great to have this community Being able to connect and relate with others is a wonderful feeling, especially when you realize you're not the only one going through a particular parenting phase.

You bet! There's a wealth of experience to learn from within this online community. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, we just need a little outside help - especially when sleep-deprived, as you say - to give us new ideas or reassure us that what we're doing is right.
Having a network of parents who can relate helps us realize that we're not alone in facing challenges, and also reminds us that these difficult phases will eventually pass! It's okay to ask for help and guidance.

It's great to have this community Being able to connect and relate with others is a wonderful feeling, especially when you realize you're not the only one going through a particular parenting phase.
Relating to others' experiences can be comforting, especially when you're dealing with a challenging situation unique to parenthood! This forum provides an excellent space for seeking different perspectives.

This is such a great idea for a thread! It's reassuring to hear other parents' stories and strategies, especially when dealing with what seems like an insurmountable task - it really helps to remember that we're not alone!

I'm curious to know about the different approaches folks have taken with their kids who are reluctant to potty train. My 3-year old just doesn't seem interested at all and I've been struggling to find ways to motivate him. Candy and stickers didn't work, unfortunately, and he just seems unbothered by the accidents... Any tips on how to engage or incentivize would be awesome!

It's a common challenge many parents face - creating the right incentives without resorting to bribery. Here are some ideas:

1. Empower them: Give your child some control and say in the process. Involve them in potty-related decisions like choosing training pants, a special toilet seat, or a stepstool. Let them pick rewards from a selection of age-appropriate treats/toys that they earn after a certain number of successful attempts.

2. Create a routine: Children thrive on routine and structure. Establish a consistent bathroom timetable, offering regular opportunities for trying. Start with every hour, then gradually extend the intervals. Incorporate a few extra steps to the process, like a special potty dance or a hand-washing ceremony, to make it fun.

3. Role models and peer pressure: Encourage your child's peers who are potty-trained to share their experiences and successes. Kids often want to emulate their friends, so having another role model besides mom and dad can be motivating. You could also offer some reward system where older kids give stickers or other small tokens for successful attempts.

4. Make it a mission: Create a potty scavenger hunt with clues that your child has to solve, leading them on an adventure around the house. Each time they try, they get a clue and work towards a bigger reveal or treat at the end.

5. Embrace accidents as victories: Celebrate and praise your child for every accident-free moment, no matter how small, instead of focusing on the setbacks. The positive reinforcement will encourage them to keep trying.

6. Take a break and try again: If neither of you is in the right mindset, take a day or two off from any formal training attempts. Focus on fun activities, but still casually incorporate potty cues into your conversations. Then revisit the topic with a fresh approach and renewed enthusiasm.

Remember, every child is different; what works for one might not work for another. But by sharing these experiences, we can all learn new strategies and remember that the potty-training struggle is temporary!

This is such a great idea for a thread! It's reassuring to hear other parents' stories and strategies, especially when dealing with what seems like an insurmountable task - it really helps to remember that we're not alone!

I'm curious to know about the different approaches folks have taken with their kids who are reluctant to potty train. My 3-year old just doesn't seem interested at all and I've been struggling to find ways to motivate him. Candy and stickers didn't work, unfortunately, and he just seems unbothered by the accidents... Any tips on how to engage or incentivize would be awesome!
You're right; it's so comforting to find like-minded parents online! It reassures us that the challenges we face are part and parcel of parenting.

For reluctant potty trainees, some parents I know have had success with a 'potty prize' system. Instead of candies or stickers which could be a short-term incentive, they've introduced a visual reward chart with a small toy or an exciting outing as the end goal. The tangible reward might help your little one see the purpose of potty training and work towards that long-term goal. You could also involve him in picking the prizes, so he has some ownership over the process. Just remember to keep the goals realistic and praise/rewards consistent!

You're right; it's so comforting to find like-minded parents who share similar experiences! It's a great reminder that we're all in this wonderful yet challenging parenting journey together.

For reluctant potty trainers, I've found that involving them in the process can help spark some interest and motivation. Letting them pick out their underpants with their favorite characters or colors might encourage them to want to use the potty! If that doesn't work, a friend suggested making it into a game with a simple reward chart. Each successful potty attempt gets a sticker on the chart, and once they reach a certain number of stickers, they get to pick a small prize from a designated treasure box. She said it's like an addictive game for their little minds! Worth a shot, perhaps?

My older one also wasn't interested. What worked was when we involved him in the process of picking out his underpants together with his favorite cartoon character on it. We made a big deal about how "big boys wear underpants!" and emphasized that he'd be a big boy once he's potty trained. This created some sense of anticipation and urgency for him, which thankfully worked! It might be worth a shot to appeal to their sense of achievement and pride - some kids respond well to the notion of growing up and being a "big kid."

You're right; it's so comforting to find like-minded parents online! It reassures us that the challenges we face are part and parcel of parenting.

For reluctant potty trainees, some parents I know have had success with a 'potty prize' system. Instead of candies or stickers which could be a short-term incentive, they've introduced a visual reward chart with a small toy or an exciting outing as the end goal. The tangible reward might help your little one see the purpose of potty training and work towards that long-term goal. You could also involve him in picking the prizes, so he has some ownership over the process. Just remember to keep the goals realistic and praise/rewards consistent!
The potty prize system and reward charts are great suggestions I haven't tried using a physical reward chart, but it seems like an effective way to help kids visualize their progress. The excitement of tracking their wins could be incentivizing!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
My older one also wasn't interested. What worked was when we involved him in the process of picking out his underpants together with his favorite cartoon character on it. We made a big deal about how "big boys wear underpants!" and emphasized that he'd be a big boy once he's potty trained. This created some sense of anticipation and urgency for him, which thankfully worked! It might be worth a shot to appeal to their sense of achievement and pride - some kids respond well to the notion of growing up and being a "big kid."
That's a great idea Creating a sense of anticipation and focusing on the pride of graduating to the next stage could be motivating. Every child responds differently, so it's good to hear what worked for you! There's no one-size-fits-all solution, which is why these parenting exchanges are so insightful.

It's interesting how each child responds differently to various incentives. That's another trick up my sleeve now! Thanks for sharing; it's a useful tip, especially for us parents with multiple kids - each one is so unique!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Absolutely! Every child is different and figuring out what motivates them can be such a fun part of parenting - especially when it comes to potty training! It's like a little challenge, isn't it? Figuring out what works best for each kiddo. I'm curious now - what other incentives have worked for your different children? Any fun or quirky rewards that really got them going?

Absolutely! Every child is different and figuring out what motivates them can be such a fun part of parenting - especially when it comes to potty training! It's like a little challenge, isn't it? Figuring out what works best for each kiddo. I'm curious now - what other incentives have worked for your different children? Any fun or quirky rewards that really got them going?
Each of my children responded well to different tactics, which was surprising, given they are so similar genetically! For my eldest, the motivation to be a "big boy" and wear cool underpants like Daddy did the trick. He adored the idea of matching Dad and seemed to think it was cooler than superheroes or cartoons. My second child, on the other hand, was motivated by sweets, believe it or not! She would work towards earning a special sweet treat that she loved but rarely got otherwise. It didn't induce bribe-like behavior, surprisingly; it just kept her focused and determined!

Reactions: nature
Each of my children responded well to different tactics, which was surprising, given they are so similar genetically! For my eldest, the motivation to be a "big boy" and wear cool underpants like Daddy did the trick. He adored the idea of matching Dad and seemed to think it was cooler than superheroes or cartoons. My second child, on the other hand, was motivated by sweets, believe it or not! She would work towards earning a special sweet treat that she loved but rarely got otherwise. It didn't induce bribe-like behavior, surprisingly; it just kept her focused and determined!
The older one seemed to respond better to the idea of learning and growing up independent like Daddy. He already has an innate desire to mimic adult behaviors, which I think helped. The sense of achievement was a huge plus for him. As for the little one, food is definitely a great motivator especially when it comes to getting her to pee in the potty! It's so fascinating how these differences emerge, even from such a young age.

It's wonderful to hear about their individual motivations - definitely hang on to those insights and tailor your approach to each child accordingly! They're so different even at this young age. It's fascinating.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
It's wonderful to hear about their individual motivations - definitely hang on to those insights and tailor your approach to each child accordingly! They're so different even at this young age. It's fascinating.
Yes, it's quite amazing how unique they are, even from such a young age! You quickly learn that what works for one might not work for the other. As parents, we have to be creative and adaptable!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu