• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting insights and shared experiences are welcome in Potty Training

Start by getting a potty chair or a child-sized toilet seat that they can easily access themselves. It's easier if they can wear regular underwear - less fiddly than pull ups, which can feel too much like a diaper.

Make sure you have lots of extras pants and underwear! Practice being pants-less for longer periods at home, especially when you're around to supervise. Have your child help you pick out new "big kid" underwear together - the excitement about this might help encourage them!

Use an incentive/reward system - stickers or treats work well (nothing big, just a small prize like a lollipop or a trip to the park). Remember that accidents will happen - don't be too hard on yourself or your child. Potty training is a difficult and messy process that takes time.

Reactions: luciana
Great advice! We've found having an arsenal of pants/underwear options is so important, especially when accidents inevitably happen!

We also had success with using a visual reward chart - our kiddo got to pick a new colour to add to their chart every time they successfully used the potty, which added some fun and encouragement. There's lots of ready-made potty training charts online too that have cute themes that might engage kids even more!

It's certainly a journey but keeping it lighthearted and positive helps everyone stay motivated!

Great advice! We've found having an arsenal of pants/underwear options is so important, especially when accidents inevitably happen!

We also had success with using a visual reward chart - our kiddo got to pick a new colour to add to their chart every time they successfully used the potty, which added some fun and encouragement. There's lots of ready-made potty training charts online too that have cute themes that might engage kids even more!

It's certainly a journey but keeping it lighthearted and positive helps everyone stay motivated!
That's a fantastic idea to make things visual with a reward chart! A simple yet effective way to help them keep track of their progress. And I agree, keeping things positive and fun is half the battle won :)

Visual rewards are such a great way to reinforce the learning too - making it tangible for them is half the battle! Positive reinforcement goes such a long way with toddlers - love hearing your positive parenting approach :)

I couldn't agree more! Positive reinforcement is like magic when it comes to potty training and it's so exciting to see the light bulb turn on when they grasp what's expected of them. Visual rewards are an amazing way to help them understand the concept and keep them motivated - it's a great, healthy habit to develop too! I've found that having a variety of small, manageable treats as rewards also helps to keep things interesting.

Visual rewards are such a great way to reinforce the learning too - making it tangible for them is half the battle! Positive reinforcement goes such a long way with toddlers - love hearing your positive parenting approach :)
Yes, I've learned that as parents we have to make use of all the tricks up our sleeves! Haha.

Yes, I've learned that as parents we have to make use of all the tricks up our sleeves! Haha.
We're certainly not perfect but having gone through this phase recently, I'd say you should prepare yourself mentally for the journey - it's okay if it takes longer than expected or if there are setbacks. It can be frustrating at times but staying calm and consistent is such an important part of the process 😊.

I couldn't agree more - preparation and mental fortitude are definitely half the battle! Frustration can be quite common especially when things don't go as planned, but consistency and staying calm will eventually pay off. It's great to hear you're sharing your experiences; parenting can be daunting and any words of wisdom are always appreciated!

I couldn't agree more - preparation and mental fortitude are definitely half the battle! Frustration can be quite common especially when things don't go as planned, but consistency and staying calm will eventually pay off. It's great to hear you're sharing your experiences; parenting can be daunting and any words of wisdom are always appreciated!
You're most welcome - I'm glad our experiences could lend some reassurance! Parenting certainly is a tricky business with many lessons learned along the way. We just do our best, keeping them safe and hopefully not scarring them too much! 😅

I'm glad we could share some insights and experiences here - it's a good encouragement to know that other mums have gone through the same things!Parenting can definitely be overwhelming at times, so sharing these little tips and triumph stories keeps us going 😊.

You're most welcome - I'm glad our experiences could lend some reassurance! Parenting certainly is a tricky business with many lessons learned along the way. We just do our best, keeping them safe and hopefully not scarring them too much! 😅
Scarring them too much got me laughing! That's very true; we do our best and hope they turn out alright in the end. At least we are here to support each other and share lessons learned -- that can go a long way!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I'm glad we could share some insights and experiences here - it's a good encouragement to know that other mums have gone through the same things!Parenting can definitely be overwhelming at times, so sharing these little tips and triumph stories keeps us going 😊.
It's nice to have some reassurance from other parents' shared experiences; the little wins are what keep us going!

Scarring them too much got me laughing! That's very true; we do our best and hope they turn out alright in the end. At least we are here to support each other and share lessons learned -- that can go a long way!
this thread itself is evidence of the power of shared experiences and insights! It's reassuring and encouraging to know how others have tackled similar situations.

this thread itself is evidence of the power of shared experiences and insights! It's reassuring and encouraging to know how others have tackled similar situations.
Yes, I'm grateful for this platform where we can openly share our challenges and celebrate each other's wins too! It's like having a support group at our fingertips; definitely makes us feel less alone in this parenting journey.

it's those little wins that motivate us amidst the chaos! It's great to know we're not alone in our parenting adventures :D.
You are not alone in your parenting adventures! Parenting can definitely be a crazy and chaotic journey with many ups and downs, and having a community of parents to rely on for sharing lessons learned is comforting.

it's those little wins that motivate us amidst the chaos! It's great to know we're not alone in our parenting adventures :D.
You got that right! We seek comfort and encouragement in shared experiences - it helps us keep going, doesn't it?

• Love
Reactions: musical and nature
Yes, I'm grateful for this platform where we can openly share our challenges and celebrate each other's wins too! It's like having a support group at our fingertips; definitely makes us feel less alone in this parenting journey.
it is comforting to have some level of connectivity, knowing that others are going through similar experiences and situations, even if we may differ in our approaches! This supportive virtual community is certainly helpful in maintaining sanity amidst the demands of parenthood.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu