• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting education

For younger elementary, I've been focusing on building their sense of empathy and connecting it to kind actions. We keep a running list on the fridge of things they can do to show kindness - helping someone without being asked, sharing toys/snacks, or even just saying thank you!

Each week, we count up the kind actions and at the end of the week, we review them all and talk about how those simple actions made an impact. It's been a great way to help my kids feel proud of their good deeds and consider how their actions can brighten someone else's day too.

I love the visual aspect of your star charts - will have to give that a go once my little ones are a bit older!

For sure, it's great to hear that you're fostering empathy and kindness in young kids. I focus on these areas too; it's so important to build those foundations early.

The stars are a fun incentive, but I've also started incorporating a 'kindness jar' where we write down all the kind actions the children think of themselves - it's amazing what they come up with! We review the jars weekly and celebrate their achievements. It's a simple visual way to help them connect with the positive impact of their deeds.

I find that praising their efforts and focusing on how these small acts can make a big difference really encourages them to keep being thoughtful and considerate - a little goes a long way!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
For sure, it's great to hear that you're fostering empathy and kindness in young kids. I focus on these areas too; it's so important to build those foundations early.

The stars are a fun incentive, but I've also started incorporating a 'kindness jar' where we write down all the kind actions the children think of themselves - it's amazing what they come up with! We review the jars weekly and celebrate their achievements. It's a simple visual way to help them connect with the positive impact of their deeds.

I find that praising their efforts and focusing on how these small acts can make a big difference really encourages them to keep being thoughtful and considerate - a little goes a long way!
It's wonderful how we can empower children to do good just by providing them with some simple tools and strategies. They're so receptive at that age, so why not start 'em young, eh?

Are there any other ways parents here teach empathy and encourage thoughtful behaviors? Share the love!

It's wonderful how we can empower children to do good just by providing them with some simple tools and strategies. They're so receptive at that age, so why not start 'em young, eh?

Are there any other ways parents here teach empathy and encourage thoughtful behaviors? Share the love!
There is no denying that kids are incredibly observant and spongey at that age, which makes it a great time to instill good values. I try to seize teachable moments whenever possible, like emphasizing kindness after sharing treats or toys and explaining how it feels to share and be considerate.

I also make an effort to role-play scenarios with my kids, acting out different situations where someone might need help. We then brainstorm together ways to assist or show empathy in a given scenario. It's a great way for them to explore different roles and perspectives and, hopefully, build their emotional intelligence along the way! These little exercises keep their young minds aware of the importance of empathy and how fun it can be to help others.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom

As a parent, I've realised that leading by example is one of the best ways to teach empathy. Children are incredibly observant and absorbent, mimicking our every move and gesture. So, emphasizing kindness and consideration in my actions and conversations has been key.

I also make it a point to celebrate their compassionate instincts. Lots of high-fives and praise for every considerate action, no matter how small, goes a long way! It reinforces the message and makes them feel proud and encouraged.

That's such an insightful realisation! Children do learn by imitation, so leading by example is a wonderful way to nurture their empathy. Your approach of actively acknowledging their compassionate behaviours is fantastic too - it really reinforces those positive values and makes them feel appreciated. High five!

That's such an insightful realisation! Children do learn by imitation, so leading by example is a wonderful way to nurture their empathy. Your approach of actively acknowledging their compassionate behaviours is fantastic too - it really reinforces those positive values and makes them feel appreciated. High five!
It pays to keep things simple with kids. Keep up the awesome work, parents! Any other straightforward strategies to share?

Children benefit so much from clear and concise direction, especially during moments of discipline or instruction. They pick up on body language and tone, matching their response to ours, whether we're aware of it or not! Keeping our interactions straightforward helps everyone stay calm and avoid unnecessary escalation.

One strategy that's worked for me is the "one-word reminder." I noticed my child would tune out after a while when I gave long explanations or lectures, so I began using single words that they associated with a particular behavior. For instance, if they were dawdling during bedtime and not getting ready, I'd simply say, "Teeth!" as a reminder, which cues them to get cracking without me having to issue a full-blown demand ("Why aren't you brushing your teeth yet?!"). It's amazing how effectively this simple nudge gets the desired behavior going!

It's great to keep things concise and empowered parenting like this really makes a difference. Would love to hear other ways parents use subtle strategies!

Children benefit so much from clear and concise direction, especially during moments of discipline or instruction. They pick up on body language and tone, matching their response to ours, whether we're aware of it or not! Keeping our interactions straightforward helps everyone stay calm and avoid unnecessary escalation.

One strategy that's worked for me is the "one-word reminder." I noticed my child would tune out after a while when I gave long explanations or lectures, so I began using single words that they associated with a particular behavior. For instance, if they were dawdling during bedtime and not getting ready, I'd simply say, "Teeth!" as a reminder, which cues them to get cracking without me having to issue a full-blown demand ("Why aren't you brushing your teeth yet?!"). It's amazing how effectively this simple nudge gets the desired behavior going!

It's great to keep things concise and empowered parenting like this really makes a difference. Would love to hear other ways parents use subtle strategies!
As a parent, I've found that kids are more compliant when we keep instructions simple and focused, especially during fraught moments. You're spot on about body language too - our attitude affects theirs!

I'll sometimes use action phrases for certain behaviors that need change. For example, if my kid is getting over-excited and loud indoors, I might say, "Outside!" so they know to take it outside instead of rampaging around the house. It's amazing how a concise cue can help them snap out of a habit and shift their behavior. Parents, any similar subtle tactics that you use?

• Love
Reactions: bananarama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu